Game 5: Packers vs. Giants - 10/9/22 - 8:30 a.m. - NFLN/Channel 4

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

PintSizedBox10
Head Coach
And1: 3,240

Re: Game 5: Packers vs. Giants - 10/9/22 - 8:30 a.m. - NFLN/Channel 4 

Post#621 » by PintSizedBox10 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:03 pm

Treebeard wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:I'd like to see Watson be able to stay on the field.

Was he dinged up this often at NDSU? Not a good look so far. I liked the pick when made, but his inability to stay on the is hot-take concerning
Per the Google he missed a few games due to a hamstring injury in 2021. I didn't see anything else. Those can be a bitch though. Look no further than our own Sammy Watkins.

Sent from my SM-G981U using RealGM mobile app
LikeABosh
RealGM
And1: 8,639

Post#622 » by LikeABosh » Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:06 pm

Read on Twitter

Watch Jaire on the 2nd one. Just a waste of money if all you want him to do is play zone
PintSizedBox10
Head Coach

Post#623 » by PintSizedBox10 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 11:11 pm

LikeABosh wrote:
Read on Twitter

Watch Jaire on the 2nd one. Just a waste of money if all you want him to do is play zone

Ooof. Both videos show multiple players guarding nothing but grass. :noway:
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,686

Post#624 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:26 am

Like I was saying in the game thread I suspect they went zone to prevent Jones from scrambling. But you spent a 1st round pick on a f-ing MLB so maybe use him as a spy instead.

I also think Barry in general likes to play conservative and not give up big plays and make the other team string drives along. This can work if but when the D makes so many mistakes that kills it. Personally I prefer super agressive and just living with big plays and hope to create some of your own.

Honestly Im not even that surprised or mad at the loss. I didn't think this was going to be a 14-3 type team so some losses were going to happen. Or I'm just dead inside after all the playoff losses :)

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
rilamann
RealGM
And1: 13,431

Post#625 » by rilamann » Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:29 am

"I don't have any issue" with the decisions on the final third and fourth downs, LaFleur says. It's hard to run the ball against all-out pressure.

And here come the excuses.

MLF says that like the guy leading the league in yards per carry couldn't get 2 yards on 2 carries. You weren't playing the '85 Bears yesterday you moron. Games are still won in trenches.
Giannis Antetokounmpo wrote:You're out here reffing like Marc Davis and ****
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,449

Post#626 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:35 am

rilamann wrote:"I don't have any issue" with the decisions on the final third and fourth downs, LaFleur says. It's hard to run the ball against all-out pressure.

And here come the excuses.

MLF says that like the guy leading the league in yards per carry couldn't get 2 yards on 2 carries. You weren't playing the '85 Bears yesterday you moron. Games are still won in trenches.

I'll blame for MLF for this, he probably shouldn't have given Rodgers the option of passing. Two TE, extra tackle, both RBs in the backfield.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 21,215

Post#627 » by Matches Malone » Tue Oct 11, 2022 1:35 pm

Read on Twitter
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
TroyD92
RealGM
And1: 10,856

Post#628 » by TroyD92 » Tue Oct 11, 2022 2:19 pm

A whole lot of stuff I don't know about schemes in football that's why i try and not blame anyone. I appreciate those kind of breakdowns a lot.
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

Kidd would have curb stomped him.

Maybe if his name was Denise instead of Dennis.

Fotis St wrote:Wherever you are David, I love you man.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,412

Post#629 » by M-C-G » Tue Oct 11, 2022 3:17 pm

stillgotgame wrote:
M-C-G wrote:
MoMM wrote:What means RPOs?

Run Pass Options. Rodgers gets to pick and he probably picks pass 80% of the time. And then people go why didn’t MLF run the ball more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Because LeFleur is the head coach, not Rodger's enabler. At least his title is head coach. The fact that he supposedly can't call the plays is ridiculous. Call a damn run then.

In theory I am 100% with you, however, when Rodgers chose to hold out, it wasn't really about money, it was about control. MLF and Gute caved and like it or not, Rodgers has the power.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,191
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#630 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:21 pm

M-C-G wrote:
stillgotgame wrote:
M-C-G wrote:Run Pass Options. Rodgers gets to pick and he probably picks pass 80% of the time. And then people go why didn’t MLF run the ball more.

Because LeFleur is the head coach, not Rodger's enabler. At least his title is head coach. The fact that he supposedly can't call the plays is ridiculous. Call a damn run then.

In theory I am 100% with you, however, when Rodgers chose to hold out, it wasn't really about money, it was about control. MLF and Gute caved and like it or not, Rodgers has the power.

Eh, I think it was also about money to some degree.

He signed a frontloaded contract in, what, 2018 (?) and he got through the frontloaded part of it. So he was able to flex his muscles for one last dump truck full of money instead of playing out the cheaper years out of the goodness of his heart.
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#631 » by M-C-G » Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:41 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
M-C-G wrote:
stillgotgame wrote:

Eh, I think it was also about money to some degree.

He signed a frontloaded contract in, what, 2018 (?) and he got through the frontloaded part of it. So he was able to flex his muscles for one last dump truck full of money instead of playing out the cheaper years out of the goodness of his heart.

Ok money and control. He now has a say in personnel, play calling and now veto power over the coach on plays

PintSizedBox10
Head Coach

Post#632 » by PintSizedBox10 » Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:54 pm

We've reached conspiracy level craziness now.

Sent from my SM-G981U using RealGM mobile app
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,326

Post#633 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:02 pm

They literally spent a 6th round pick to bring back Aaron's buddy (Cobb) immediately after getting the contract dispute resolved. I think most people expect their team's HoF QB to have input on the play-calling and freedom at the line to change up plays. There's nothing conspiratorial about any of this.
PintSizedBox10
Head Coach

Post#634 » by PintSizedBox10 » Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:39 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:They literally spent a 6th round pick to bring back Aaron's buddy (Cobb) immediately after getting the contract dispute resolved. I think most people expect their team's HoF QB to have input on the play-calling and freedom at the line to change up plays. There's nothing conspiratorial about any of this.

Okay. Let's call it sheer exaggeration then. We brought back Cobb - who's been great this year. Likely more impactful than whatever scrub they would have drafted in the 6th round. Every QB has control at the LOS but let's word it as veto power over the coach.

I get everyone wants an easy scapegoat but some of the takes are outlandish. The offense has its issues but they are currently ranked 8th in DVOA.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,191
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#635 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:43 pm

PintSizedBox10 wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:They literally spent a 6th round pick to bring back Aaron's buddy (Cobb) immediately after getting the contract dispute resolved. I think most people expect their team's HoF QB to have input on the play-calling and freedom at the line to change up plays. There's nothing conspiratorial about any of this.

Okay. Let's call it sheer exaggeration then. We brought back Cobb - who's been great this year. Likely more impactful than whatever scrub they would have drafted in the 6th round. Every QB has control at the LOS but let's word it as veto power over the coach.

I get everyone wants an easy scapegoat but some of the takes are outlandish. The offense has its issues but they are currently ranked 8th in DVOA.

Well, again, for whatever it's worth - the issue was Cobb is they had to pay like $6 million on him last year. Not as huge of a deal as the number went down, but to some degree, the complaint was burning money that could've been valuable for the defense on Cobb.

Now, with less good receivers on the roster and a lower number and Cobb somewhat backing it up with his play - I can't really argue it in 2022.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,326

Post#636 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:08 pm

No, "every QB" doesn't have the same kind of freedom at the LOS that Rodgers enjoys, that's ridiculous. You think Nick Sirianni is out there telling Jalen Hurts to "just change the play whenever you feel something's off, man". You let the Tom Brady's, Peyton Manning's, and Aaron Rodger's have that kind of authority/sway because they're generational football IQ guys and they've earned that right. But you then can't just absolve him of blame and scapegoat MLF when the offense craters for entire halves.

I don't care what the DVOA numbers say through 5-weeks. Before the Giants game the defense was 5th in yards allowed and 7th in points allowed. These metrics can completely flip this early in the year with one ugly game. Defense IMO is more fixable with some simple schematic tweaks (mainly Barry pulling his head out of his ass) and rookies getting experience. But the offense is almost more frustrating because we're simply just not sticking with what's working.
PintSizedBox10
Head Coach

Post#637 » by PintSizedBox10 » Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:51 pm

Of course Hurts is making adjustments at the LOS, not to the extent of other HOF QBs though so I take your point.

DVOA takes your opponent into account. The defense was ranked 22nd last year and they're currently ranked 23rd this year, granted it's very early in the season but they're performing at about the same level. I have a lot more faith in MLF and the offense figuring it out than the defense.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,282

Post#638 » by LUKE23 » Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:46 pm

PintSizedBox10 wrote:Of course Hurts is making adjustments at the LOS, not to the extent of other HOF QBs though so I take your point.

DVOA takes your opponent into account. The defense was ranked 22nd last year and they're currently ranked 23rd this year, granted it's very early in the season but they're performing at about the same level. I have a lot more faith in MLF and the offense figuring it out than the defense.

The defense has all the pieces it needs, if it doesn't peform, it's on the coaching.

Regarding the offense, we will see. They badly need Watson get integrated into this offense because I see teams just stacking the LOS with how unexplosive their WR/TE are. But yes, they have schematic and run/pass ratio changes they can make.
M-C-G
RealGM

Post#639 » by M-C-G » Tue Oct 11, 2022 11:40 pm

PintSizedBox10 wrote:

Cobb was an example, getting Clements on the coaching staff, and he has literally gotten plays before and changed him per Mercedes Lewis. The conspiracy theorist appear to be the ones thinking he is just a ho hum QB doing what he is told and nothing more.

Giannisland34
Sophomore
And1: 50

Post#640 » by Giannisland34 » Wed Oct 12, 2022 11:54 am

All 3 of the rookie WRs have amazing speed and should be able to get open deep if teams are stacking the LOS. Toure which hasn’t played yet actually seems to specialize in it with great tracking and hands. Plus use the run and play action to setup the deep ball. He could be used as a better but shorter version of MVS’s past role. Still seems like a coaching issue then.

Return to Green Bay Packers