ImageImage

2024 NFL Draft - five picks in the first three rounds (seven in four! [probably])

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,691

Re: 2024 NFL Draft - five picks in the first three rounds (seven in four! [probably]) 

Post#1221 » by Matches Malone » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:23 am

econniption wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:Matt Miller on ESPN did a complete seven round mock. It's basically a worst case scenario for Green Bay.

Minnesota trades up and lands Drake Maye. Bears land Odunze at #9. Packers take Tyler Guyton at #25, passing on Latu and Newton.

Gross.

Whole Packers draft:

25. Green Bay Packers - Tyler Guyton, OT, Oklahoma
41. Green Bay Packers (via NYJ) - Ennis Rakestraw Jr., CB, Missouri
58. Green Bay Packers - Mason McCormick, C, South Dakota State
88. Green Bay Packers - Brandon Dorlus, DT, Oregon
91. Green Bay Packers (via BUF) - Gabriel Murphy, DE, UCLA
126. Green Bay Packers: Michael Pratt, QB, Tulane (WTF)
169. Green Bay Packers*: Kamal Hadden, CB, Tennessee
202. Green Bay Packers: Qwan'tez Stiggers, CB, Toronto Argonauts (CFL)
219. Green Bay Packers*: Johnny Wilson, WR, Florida State
245. Green Bay Packers: Emani Bailey, RB, TCU
255. Green Bay Packers*: Ryan Rehkow, P, BYU

I like the second rounders, hate literally everything else.

Looks like Matt Miller either hates the Packers and this is his schadenfreude scenario or he knows absolutely nothing about the Packer's needs and what they value.

I do kind of like his Michael Pratt selection. He's got a nice arm, and it never hurts to develop another QB in case of injury. Clifford showed he can handle backup duties somewhat, so I can understand not wanting to spend a higher pick on another QB, but I think they could upgrade that backup spot rather easily with someone like Pratt.
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,079

Re: 2024 NFL Draft - five picks in the first three rounds (seven in four! [probably]) 

Post#1222 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:28 am

Matches Malone wrote:
econniption wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:Matt Miller on ESPN did a complete seven round mock. It's basically a worst case scenario for Green Bay.

Minnesota trades up and lands Drake Maye. Bears land Odunze at #9. Packers take Tyler Guyton at #25, passing on Latu and Newton.

Gross.

Whole Packers draft:

25. Green Bay Packers - Tyler Guyton, OT, Oklahoma
41. Green Bay Packers (via NYJ) - Ennis Rakestraw Jr., CB, Missouri
58. Green Bay Packers - Mason McCormick, C, South Dakota State
88. Green Bay Packers - Brandon Dorlus, DT, Oregon
91. Green Bay Packers (via BUF) - Gabriel Murphy, DE, UCLA
126. Green Bay Packers: Michael Pratt, QB, Tulane (WTF)
169. Green Bay Packers*: Kamal Hadden, CB, Tennessee
202. Green Bay Packers: Qwan'tez Stiggers, CB, Toronto Argonauts (CFL)
219. Green Bay Packers*: Johnny Wilson, WR, Florida State
245. Green Bay Packers: Emani Bailey, RB, TCU
255. Green Bay Packers*: Ryan Rehkow, P, BYU

I like the second rounders, hate literally everything else.

Looks like Matt Miller either hates the Packers and this is his schadenfreude scenario or he knows absolutely nothing about the Packer's needs and what they value.

I do kind of like his Michael Pratt selection. He's got a nice arm, and it never hurts to develop another QB in case of injury. Clifford showed he can handle backup duties somewhat, so I can understand not wanting to spend a higher pick on another QB, but I think they could upgrade that backup spot rather easily with someone like Pratt.

Nah. Clifford was a 5th rounder and looked like a high end backup at minimum in his snaps last season.

I'm good with taking a QB late in day three but anyone in the first five rounds is a waste of a pick.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,691

Post#1223 » by Matches Malone » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:50 am

ReasonablySober wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:
econniption wrote:

Nah. Clifford was a 5th rounder and looked like a high end backup at minimum in his snaps last season.

I'm good with taking a QB late in day three but anyone in the first five rounds is a waste of a pick.

Yeah... Sean Clifford isn't stopping me from upgrading the backup position if it falls in my lap. He looked fine in his limited reps.
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1224 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:06 am

Matches Malone wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:

Yeah... Sean Clifford isn't stopping me from upgrading the backup position if it falls in my lap. He looked fine in his limited reps.

I wasn't a fan of Clifford's pick last year, but he isn't getting beaten out by a 2nd or 3rd day pick in this draft. The Packers will probably take a developmental guy for the practice squad late in day three.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,070

Post#1225 » by MVP2110 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:08 am

Sean Clifford sucks. I don't think Green Bay needs to draft a QB but if they find a guy that they think they can develop in the 4th I'm all for it. Clifford is maybe fine as a career backup but if he ever needed to start a real game it's basically a guaranteed loss
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,853

Post#1226 » by coolhandluke121 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:34 am

Sean Clifford attempted 1 pass and 3 rushes, fumbling once. There's literally no basis for making any assumptions about what kind of player he is, other than what he did at PSU, where he was a middle-class man's Graham Mertz.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#1227 » by MVP2110 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:10 pm

coolhandluke121 wrote:Sean Clifford attempted 1 pass and 3 rushes, fumbling once. There's literally no basis for making any assumptions about what kind of player he is, other than what he did at PSU, where he was a middle-class man's Graham Mertz.

Maybe saying he sucks is too strong and definitive of a statement, but there is absolutely nothing Sean Clifford has done that would keep me from drafting a QB in the mid rounds if I thought there was one worth it
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
coolhandluke121
RealGM

Post#1228 » by coolhandluke121 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:51 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
coolhandluke121 wrote:Sean Clifford attempted 1 pass and 3 rushes, fumbling once. There's literally no basis for making any assumptions about what kind of player he is, other than what he did at PSU, where he was a middle-class man's Graham Mertz.

Maybe saying he sucks is too strong and definitive of a statement, but there is absolutely nothing Sean Clifford has done that would keep me from drafting a QB in the mid rounds if I thought there was one worth it

I'm not disagreeing with you, and my money is squarely on "sucks balls" because of what I saw when he was at Penn State. My argument is that he's irrelevant to whether they draft a QB. If Love gets hurt, they're not going anywhere anyway, so it's all about trying to find someone they can develop, and there's room to develop more than one - especially when that one is Sean "Who Needs a Timely Interception?" Clifford.
Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,748

Post#1229 » by Treebeard » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:05 pm

Given the rising expectations for the team, even if they draft a development QB, might they also bring on a vet placeholder QB in case Love goes out for any reason? Somebody to hold serve while Love ,might be out?
coolhandluke121
RealGM

Post#1230 » by coolhandluke121 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:17 pm

Treebeard wrote:Given the rising expectations for the team, even if they draft a development QB, might they also bring on a vet placeholder QB in case Love goes out for any reason? Somebody to hold serve while Love ,might be out?

I don't think the payoff is there. You're usually not going anywhere without your starting QB anyway, unless he's mediocre to begin with. If he's such a huge part of your team, like Love is, then you're not filling in that gap with a salvage veteran. And even if you do want someone like that, you're not even that much worse off waiting until you actually need him and then signing him off the street. Mediocre is mediocre, and it's not like QBs have to be in tip-top game condition. Anybody worth the trouble is probably going to have some desperate team taking a chance on him as a starter.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,708

Post#1231 » by Ron Swanson » Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:43 pm

I think they're completely fine with Clifford running the show in a pinch. He's a great athlete and they'd just pivot to a more run-heavy offense anyways. Maybe grab a developmental guy in the 7th round to stick on the practice squad, but I don't see it as any sort of need until Clifford proves that he is or isn't a quality backup.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,379

Post#1232 » by M-C-G » Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:24 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:I think they're completely fine with Clifford running the show in a pinch. He's a great athlete and they'd just pivot to a more run-heavy offense anyways. Maybe grab a developmental guy in the 7th round to stick on the practice squad, but I don't see it as any sort of need until Clifford proves that he is or isn't a quality backup.

Clifford and Taylor Heinieke kind of seem like the same dudes to me, not exactly the same mind you, but that is what I could see as Cliffords career. He can get you a few wins, he will take a massive physical beating to get them, which is why he'll never be a starter. But I think if he is the high IQ guy they say he is, seems like a nearly ideal back up until we see otherwise.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#1233 » by MVP2110 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:07 pm

So I really started to do my deep dive into the top QBs in this years draft. I came away much lower on Jayden Daniels than I was before. He almost never goes to his 2nd read before deciding to run up field and he refuses to throw over the middle. He's also extremely skinny for a QB and benefitted from having some great WRs at LSU. He's clearly my QB 4 now and I actually might end up putting Penix over him, although I'm not there yet. I also bumped Caleb back up to QB2 over McCarthy but I have Maye Williams & McCarthy all extremely close at the top
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1234 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:28 pm

MVP2110 wrote:So I really started to do my deep dive into the top QBs in this years draft. I came away much lower on Jayden Daniels than I was before. He almost never goes to his 2nd read before deciding to run up field and he refuses to throw over the middle. He's also extremely skinny for a QB and benefitted from having some great WRs at LSU. He's clearly my QB 4 now and I actually might end up putting Penix over him, although I'm not there yet. I also bumped Caleb back up to QB2 over McCarthy but I have Maye Williams & McCarthy all extremely close at the top

Counterpoint to everything you said about Daniels, this game:

MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#1235 » by MVP2110 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:37 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:So I really started to do my deep dive into the top QBs in this years draft. I came away much lower on Jayden Daniels than I was before. He almost never goes to his 2nd read before deciding to run up field and he refuses to throw over the middle. He's also extremely skinny for a QB and benefitted from having some great WRs at LSU. He's clearly my QB 4 now and I actually might end up putting Penix over him, although I'm not there yet. I also bumped Caleb back up to QB2 over McCarthy but I have Maye Williams & McCarthy all extremely close at the top

I mean one game is great but that's against a team that finished 1-7 in conference and there were 11 other games he played in. There is definitely talent there, he makes some incredibly explosive plays at times and I still have a low R1 grade on him, I just have him well below the top 3 guys in this class. The lack of throwing over the middle is astounding, he takes off to scramble way quicker than any of the other 3 top QBs and almost never gets to a 2nd read, add on top of how often he scrambles is how skinny he is, QBs with his frame don't often make it in the NFL, he dominated as a 23 year old in college after 4 years of mediocre play and got helped out tremendously by being able to throw to Nabers & Brian Thomas Jr.

I just see too many areas with him that make me skeptical of him being able to succeed as a top 10 QB in the NFL compared to the other 3 top guys
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1236 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:43 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

I mean one game is great but that's against a team that finished 1-7 in conference and there were 11 other games he played in. There is definitely talent there, he makes some incredibly explosive plays at times and I still have a low R1 grade on him, I just have him well below the top 3 guys in this class. The lack of throwing over the middle is astounding, he takes off to scramble way quicker than any of the other 3 top QBs and almost never gets to a 2nd read, add on top of how often he scrambles is how skinny he is, QBs with his frame don't often make it in the NFL, he dominated as a 23 year old in college after 4 years of mediocre play and got helped out tremendously by being able to throw to Nabers & Brian Thomas Jr.

I just see too many areas with him that make me skeptical of him being able to succeed as a top 10 QB in the NFL compared to the other 3 top guys

Here, watch him carve up a very good Mizzou defense.

He makes every throw to every spot on the field.

You seem to be hung up on him throwing over the middle of the field for some reason (something he does frequently in both videos). He's playing with two of the top four X receivers in football. A huge part of their game plan is going over the top on the outside, something he was also awesome at.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#1237 » by MVP2110 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:52 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

You seem to be hung up on him throwing over the middle of the field for some reason (something he does frequently in both videos). He's playing with two of the top four X receivers in football. A huge part of their game plan is going over the top on the outside, something he was also awesome at.

I watched both of these games already. I watched several games Jayden Daniels played in last year(along with Caleb, Maye, & McCarthy). Throwing over the middle is absolutely something he did alot less of then the other 3, and if it was just that that one thing alone I'd wash over it, every one of these guys has atleast 1 flaw. But it's the lack of throwing over the middle, it's his frame, it's the fact he didn't play this well until he was 23, it's the fact he essentially takes off right away to run if his first read isn't there, he had an extremely high pressure to sack rate despite playing behind one of the best offensive lines in college football. There are just so many areas that make me skeptical with Daniels compared to the other 3.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1238 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:55 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:

I watched both of these games already. I watched several games Jayden Daniels played in last year(along with Caleb, Maye, & McCarthy). Throwing over the middle is absolutely something he did alot less of then the other 3, and if it was just that that one thing alone I'd wash over it, every one of these guys has atleast 1 flaw. But it's the lack of throwing over the middle, it's his frame, it's the fact he didn't play this well until he was 23, it's the fact he essentially takes off right away to run if his first read isn't there, he had an extremely high pressure to sack rate despite playing behind one of the best offensive lines in college football. There are just so many areas that make me skeptical with Daniels compared to the other 3.

Read on Twitter

I mean, sorry dude. You're just wrong.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#1239 » by MVP2110 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:59 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

Read on Twitter

I mean, sorry dude. You're just wrong.

Not really. 58% is much lower than 63% & 64%. Plus I'll add again it's not only the middle of the field things, it's everything else I listed that you've for whatever reason decided to ignore
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#1240 » by MVP2110 » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:00 pm

Also this was a follow up to that tweet

Read on Twitter
?t=sin0yV6ZOVPdDqgUPZ5GWw&s=19

Return to Green Bay Packers