ImageImage

2024 NFL Draft - five picks in the first three rounds (seven in four! [probably])

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,092

Re: 2024 NFL Draft - five picks in the first three rounds (seven in four! [probably]) 

Post#1501 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:45 pm

Kiper and Yates alternated picks in a three round mock:

25. Green Bay Packers
Kiper's pick: Cooper DeJean, CB, Iowa
Edge rusher, offensive tackle or cornerback? I like the value with DeJean, who is No. 21 overall on my Big Board. Some teams see him as a safety, but I think he can be a No. 1 corner.

41. Green Bay Packers (via NYJ)
Kiper's pick: Patrick Paul, OT, Houston
Paul, my No. 9-ranked tackle, might be a first-rounder in most other drafts. After going cornerback in Round 1, a David Bakhtiari replacement falls into the Packers' laps.

58. Green Bay Packers
Yates' pick: Payton Wilson, LB, NC State
The Packers have a need at inside linebacker, and Wilson's tape is tremendous. A lengthy injury history will have to check out for this pick to happen, but Wilson had 130 tackles last season.

88. Green Bay Packers
Yates' pick: Calen Bullock, S, USC
Bullock has endless range and would pair with Xavier McKinney to form a new-look, turnover-forcing safety duo in Green Bay.

91. Green Bay Packers (via BUF)
Kiper's pick: Brennan Jackson, OLB, Washington State
I wanted to find a spot for Jackson at the end of Round 3, because I think everyone else is underrating him. He's a crafty pass-rusher. I really like the draft we've built for Green Bay.

Eh.
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,617

Re: 2024 NFL Draft - five picks in the first three rounds (seven in four! [probably]) 

Post#1502 » by Profound23 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:17 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Kiper and Yates alternated picks in a three round mock:

If the draft truly went as they predicted, I would see if we can trade #25 and our two thirds for #18 or #19 and a late round pick to get Latu.

I really didn't think he would make it out of the top 10 but lately I am seeing him go around 20 and if that is true we need to get him.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,762

Post#1503 » by Matches Malone » Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:56 pm

Another multi-interview prospect they're bringing in for a 30 visit.

Read on Twitter
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,081

Post#1504 » by MVP2110 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:16 pm

Profound23 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:Kiper and Yates alternated picks in a three round mock:

If the draft truly went as they predicted, I would see if we can trade #25 and our two thirds for #18 or #19 and a late round pick to get Latu.

I really didn't think he would make it out of the top 10 but lately I am seeing him go around 20 and if that is true we need to get him.

If Latu starts to fall I'd assume it's for medical reasons. Some more smoke around the idea that several NFL teams don't even have him on their board
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
Matches Malone
RealGM

Post#1505 » by Matches Malone » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:23 pm

Latu was a dominant player at UCLA, but I'd have a hard time taking an older edge rusher who had fusion neck surgery in the 1st round, let alone give up assets to move up for him.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#1506 » by MVP2110 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:49 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=-tnwJSiS6BEV-QYm2yqwOA&s=19

If we're looking to add to our edge room I like him quite a bit
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
Profound23
RealGM

Post#1507 » by Profound23 » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:51 pm

Matches Malone wrote:Latu was a dominant player at UCLA, but I'd have a hard time taking an older edge rusher who had fusion neck surgery in the 1st round, let alone give up assets to move up for him.

I did not know that, so you could be dealing with another Vander Esch type of deal. Still might be worth it imo from his talent alone, but I would understand why teams would remove him from their boards.

As for age, Latu just turned 23 four months ago. The average age of NFL draft picks are 23. He is one month younger than Verse. We aren't getting anywhere near Dallas Turner.

I just know from the three games I watched Latu in he was all over the place. While players like Verse dominate with beating the tackle on the outside repeatedly, Latu did a great job of showing a lot of tools. I watched him beat the LT on the edge for a sack, then later on fake out the tackle and hit the inside gap splitting the center and guard for another sack. I think he had a forced fumble or INT vs Caleb, either way I saw him force a couple of turnovers this year.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1508 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:56 pm

He's so good, though. Turner and Chop could only wish for Latu's technique.
Matches Malone
RealGM

Post#1509 » by Matches Malone » Mon Apr 15, 2024 8:05 pm

Profound23 wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:Latu was a dominant player at UCLA, but I'd have a hard time taking an older edge rusher who had fusion neck surgery in the 1st round, let alone give up assets to move up for him.

I did not know that, so you could be dealing with another Vander Esch type of deal. Still might be worth it imo from his talent alone, but I would understand why teams would remove him from their boards.

As for age, Latu just turned 23 four months ago. The average age of NFL draft picks are 23. He is one month younger than Verse. We aren't getting anywhere near Dallas Turner.

I just know from the three games I watched Latu in he was all over the place. While players like Verse dominate with beating the tackle on the outside repeatedly, Latu did a great job of showing a lot of tools. I watched him beat the LT on the edge for a sack, then later on fake out the tackle and hit the inside gap splitting the center and guard for another sack. I think he had a forced fumble or INT vs Caleb, either way I saw him force a couple of turnovers this year.

For his position he's one of the older ones in this draft class, especially in that crop of top guys outside Verse.

Don't get me wrong, I think he's an incredible talent, I just worry about such a major injury to the neck and if it causes any issues playing at the next level. Once Vander Esch got his neck done, he eroded away pretty quickly.
Matches Malone
RealGM

Post#1510 » by Matches Malone » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:37 pm

I keep coming back to Blake Watson as another day 3 back I'd love to add to this RB room. Not overly twitched up, but still a tremendous athlete and an incredibly patient runner that seems to do a pretty good job with balance and staying on his feet after contact. Also, very fluid catching the ball out of the backfield.

jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,277

Post#1511 » by jakecronus8 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:50 pm

If this isn’t allowed I apologize but I started a live stream WI sports podcast called Bort’s Basement. Last night my fellow draft nut buddies and I live streamed a live PFN Packers mock. Names were butchered. Good times were had.

Read on Twitter

The Bart Winkler podcast was my inspiration. My goal is to be a moderator more than a host with people dropping in live mainly after games and big events. Would love to chat with any of you.

ETA: the final haul

25-Byron Murphy II, DT Texas
41-Edgerin Cooper, LB Texas Tech
58-Marshawn Kneeland, Edge W. Mich
88-Roger Rosengarten, T Washington
95-(trade back) Jaden Hicks, S Wash. St
126-Jaylen Wright, RB Tennessee
169-Beaux Limmer, IOL Arkansas
202-Joe Milton III, QB Tennessee
219-AJ Barner, TE Michigan
245-Frank Crum, T Wyoming
255-Gabriel Murphy, Edge UCLA

I tried to trade up to 60 using 88 & 91 for Cole Bishop but was overruled.
Do it for Chuck
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#1512 » by MVP2110 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:55 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=AYqCrnwYfeUZJcWZooO8dg&s=19
Profound23
RealGM

Post#1513 » by Profound23 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:00 pm

jakecronus8 wrote:If this isn’t allowed I apologize but I started a live stream WI sports podcast called Bort’s Basement. Last night my fellow draft nut buddies and I live streamed a live PFN Packers mock. Names were butchered. Good times were had.

Read on Twitter

The Bart Winkler podcast was my inspiration. My goal is to be a moderator more than a host with people dropping in live mainly after games and big events. Would love to chat with any of you.

ETA: the final haul

25-Byron Murphy II, DT Texas
41-Edgerin Cooper, LB Texas Tech
58-Marshawn Kneeland, Edge W. Mich
88-Roger Rosengarten, T Washington
95-(trade back) Jaden Hicks, S Wash. St
126-Jaylen Wright, RB Tennessee
169-Beaux Limmer, IOL Arkansas
202-Joe Milton III, QB Tennessee
219-AJ Barner, TE Michigan
245-Frank Crum, T Wyoming
255-Gabriel Murphy, Edge UCLA

I tried to trade up to 60 using 88 & 91 for Cole Bishop but was overruled.

I don't think Murphy will be there, but I can see us taking Newton. He had a great game against the Badgers, that's all I know about him.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1514 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:11 pm

Mims seems like the perfect kind of Packers pick, in the vein of LVN and Gary. Young, very big and athletic, not quite ready in year one but doesn't have to be.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#1515 » by MVP2110 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:14 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Mims seems like the perfect kind of Packers pick, in the vein of LVN and Gary. Young, very big and athletic, not quite ready in year one but doesn't have to be.

Yep, Mims is just outside of my top 10. While I don't like the idea of moving Tom inside I'm also a believer in BPA in the 1st round. If Mims is there he's likely my BPA. If needed he could also redshirt a year and Tom can stick at Tackle
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1516 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:18 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:Mims seems like the perfect kind of Packers pick, in the vein of LVN and Gary. Young, very big and athletic, not quite ready in year one but doesn't have to be.

Yep, Mims is just outside of my top 10. While I don't like the idea of moving Tom inside I'm also a believer in BPA in the 1st round. If Mims is there he's likely my BPA. If needed he could also redshirt a year and Tom can stick at Tackle

That's basically how I would see it playing out. Maybe Mims plays his way onto the field, but more likely he takes a redshirt and steps into RT in '25 when Myers leaves as a FA and Tom gets the bag and moves inside.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,735

Post#1517 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:22 pm

Yeah, I continue to not understand what would be "surprising" about taking Mims if he's there at 25. I just don't think he will be. Outside of Joe Alt, he's arguably the most talented Tackle in the draft. Absolute specimen, and I don't think Tyron Smith comparisons are that far-fetched.
zmanishere11
Sixth Man
And1: 246

Post#1518 » by zmanishere11 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:12 pm

I realize we usually think like this - I think it may be different this time.

Gute hit a grand slam last year - 8-9 guys who are going to play meaningfully over the next 3 years on cheap deals.

We have a QB.

And in a "rebuild" year last year we won a playoff game and arguably could have made the Super Bowl.

The two biggest issues on defense were solved in the off-season (DC and a big $$ safety).

We have a 3 year window where this team is going to be damn good and cheap. I want to see Gute aggressive with guys who can play meaningful minutes next year.

Which means that won't happen and you will be right :)
Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#1519 » by Treebeard » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:20 pm

zmanishere11 wrote:

I realize we usually think like this - I think it may be different this time.

Gute hit a grand slam last year - 8-9 guys who are going to play meaningfully over the next 3 years on cheap deals.

We have a QB.

And in a "rebuild" year last year we won a playoff game and arguably could have made the Super Bowl.

The two biggest issues on defense were solved in the off-season (DC and a big $$ safety).

We have a 3 year window where this team is going to be damn good and cheap. I want to see Gute aggressive with guys who can play meaningful minutes next year.

Which means that won't happen and you will be right :)

I mostly agree. I think any early round(day 1 or day 2) OLineman should be ready to place significant snaps, regardless of whether they start or not. IMO, the depth after the remaining carryover starters is suspect till they prove they're up to the standard. Olinemen get beat up on every play, so I expect some injury downtime. Whoever takes their place needs to perform at a high level.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#1520 » by MVP2110 » Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:24 pm

Tbf I think it's very possible Mims is ready to go from day 1. He was a stud at Georgia when on the field. All rookies have growing pains to an extent though

Return to Green Bay Packers