ImageImage

2024 NFL Draft - five picks in the first three rounds (seven in four! [probably])

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,096

Re: 2024 NFL Draft - five picks in the first three rounds (seven in four! [probably]) 

Post#1721 » by MVP2110 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:50 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:Trade ups that Seth Walder wouldn't have done:

Atlanta for Julio Jones
Pittsburgh for Troy Polamalu
Kansas City for Tony Gonzalez
Seahawks for Walter Jones
Tampa Bay for Derrick Brooks
Dallas Cowboys for Emmitt Smith
San Francisco for Jerry Rice
Green Bay for Jaire Alexander
Green Bay for Clay Matthews Jr

Yep. He did the research on this in an article I posted the other day. For trade ups for non QBs the trading down team "won the deal" roughly 2/3 of the time and trading up team "won" about 1/3 of the time. It can work out but more often then not it won't.

I read that. I think he'd have a better argument if the number wasn't around 33% of the time. If trading up only works 10% of the time, then sure, don't do it. 33% gets you in the hall of fame.

I'm not sure what you mean? Losing a trade 67% of the time is good in what context?
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,150

Re: 2024 NFL Draft - five picks in the first three rounds (seven in four! [probably]) 

Post#1722 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:51 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:
Yep. He did the research on this in an article I posted the other day. For trade ups for non QBs the trading down team "won the deal" roughly 2/3 of the time and trading up team "won" about 1/3 of the time. It can work out but more often then not it won't.

I read that. I think he'd have a better argument if the number wasn't around 33% of the time. If trading up only works 10% of the time, then sure, don't do it. 33% gets you in the hall of fame.

I'm not sure what you mean? Losing a trade 67% of the time is good in what context?

That it works 33% of the time. That's good.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#1723 » by MVP2110 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:51 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

67%>33% so I'm not understanding your logic.
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1724 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:53 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:

I'm saying something not working 66% of the time isn't a reason to never do it. 1 in 3 odds isn't terrible. Like I used in my examples, many Super Bowl wins don't happen if teams weren't trading up.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#1725 » by MVP2110 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:05 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

I'm saying something not working 66% of the time isn't a reason to never do it. 1 in 3 odds isn't terrible. Like I used in my examples, many Super Bowl wins don't happen if teams weren't trading up.

Most of your examples were from 20 years ago or longer. so I'm not sure how relevant they are to the modern NFL. But if you know a trade you make has a 33% chance of success and a 67% chance of failure then it doesn't take rocket science to know that trade is a bad idea even if in the end it might work out. It's also worth noting that of the trades won its not like they were all for HOFers, it's not you have a 33% chance of drafting a HOFer and a 67% chance of drafting a bust, that'd be an entirely different thought process then. Heck let's even look at Gute's record as an example. The trade up for Jaire was a massive success(although it was directly after he moved down in the draft). The trade up for Oren Burks was bad, the trade up for Darnell Savage was bad, the trade up for Christian Watson is TBD, the trade up for Amari Rodgers was bad. I excluded the Love trade up because as Walder says trading up for a QB is a different thing entirely and often worth it. Now looking at Gute's trade backs, last year he moved back and acquired the picks to take Jayden Reed, Dontayvion Wicks, & Karl Brooks. He's also moved back in the Jaire Draft to acquire an extra 1st the following year and still was able to get Jaire. He himself(along with most GMs) has had much more success moving back then moving up
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,643

Post#1726 » by Profound23 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:11 pm

To be fair GB traded back first and got a future first in that draft where they landed Jaire then traded up for him. We didn't give up future assets, just late round picks in the same draft. Such a great move.

Then we ended up with Savage from that trade if I remember correctly.
Profound23
RealGM

Post#1727 » by Profound23 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:15 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Profound23 wrote:
Turk Nowitzki wrote:Chop Robinson going ahead of Verse and Latu would be interesting and the Packers letting them both go by to pick DeJean would be interesting as well.

If the board fell to us like that I would be so happy. 5 of those last 7 picks look like steals. In that situation I'm contacting some team and trying to package my two seconds to and trying to get back up into the first to draft one of the edge rushers, corners, or even Brian Thomas.

I like where your head's at.

:o

Easy yes.

In fact then I'm calling the Bills and offering Christian Watson with our other 2nd to draft Brian Thomas who is very Tyreek like....although Edgerrin Cooper at that spot is nice too.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1728 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:30 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:

Most of your examples were from 20 years ago or longer. so I'm not sure how relevant they are to the modern NFL. But if you know a trade you make has a 33% chance of success and a 67% chance of failure then it doesn't take rocket science to know that trade is a bad idea even if in the end it might work out. It's also worth noting that of the trades won its not like they were all for HOFers, it's not you have a 33% chance of drafting a HOFer and a 67% chance of drafting a bust, that'd be an entirely different thought process then. Heck let's even look at Gute's record as an example. The trade up for Jaire was a massive success(although it was directly after he moved down in the draft). The trade up for Oren Burks was bad, the trade up for Darnell Savage was bad, the trade up for Christian Watson is TBD, the trade up for Amari Rodgers was bad. I excluded the Love trade up because as Walder says trading up for a QB is a different thing entirely and often worth it. Now looking at Gute's trade backs, last year he moved back and acquired the picks to take Jayden Reed, Dontayvion Wicks, & Karl Brooks. He's also moved back in the Jaire Draft to acquire an extra 1st the following year and still was able to get Jaire. He himself(along with most GMs) has had much more success moving back then moving up

He trade up for Jaire.

After the Saints trade the Packers were left with the #27. The Packers then traded the #27, #76, and #186 to the Seahawks for the 18th and #248.

Also, a whole lot of WOOF on the QBs taken after a trade up in the first round.

2011:
Gabbert

2012:
Robert Griffin III

2014:
Johnny Manziel
Teddy Bridgewater

2016:
Jared Goff
Carson Wentz
Paxton Lynch

2017:
Mitchell Trubisky
Patrick Mahomes
Deshaun Watson

2018:
Sam Arnold
Josh Allen
Josh Rosen
Lamar Jackson

2020:
Jordan Love

2021:
Trey Lance
Justin Fields

2023:
Bryce Young

Six out of 18? And two of those successes are Goff and Watson, two guys who ended up being traded? Yikes.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1729 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:35 pm

The obvious problem with the "don't trade up unless it's for a QB" stance (outside of the hit-rate, which is lousy), is teams are usually paying a huge premium to get that QB because the position is so valuable. So not only are teams bombing the selection, they're paying out the ass to do it.

Most teams aren't giving up future first round picks and multiple 2nd rounders to get a non-QB. If that pick fails it isn't the end of the world.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#1730 » by MVP2110 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:38 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

He trade up for Jaire.

After the Saints trade the Packers were left with the #27. The Packers then traded the #27, #76, and #186 to the Seahawks for the 18th and #248.

2011:
Gabbert

2012:
Robert Griffin III

2014:
Johnny Manziel
Teddy Bridgewater

2016:
Jared Goff
Carson Wentz
Paxton Lynch

2017:
Mitchell Trubisky
Patrick Mahomes
Deshaun Watson

2018:
Sam Arnold
Josh Allen
Josh Rosen
Lamar Jackson

2020:
Jordan Love

2021:
Trey Lance
Justin Fields

2023:
Bryce Young

Six out of 18? And two of those successes are Goff and Watson, two guys who ended up being traded? Yikes.

Sure, if you want to count the Jaire move as a trade up that's fine but then we also have to count the original trade down also as a massive success as well. And his other trade ups for non QBs have all been misses with the possible exception of the Watson move which imo is still TBD whereas his trade downs have been much more successful. The math on this is pretty clear, trade ups for non QBs can work but are much more likely to fail.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1731 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:43 pm

I just showed you the list of trade ups for QBs. The math is literally the exact same. The difference is teams give up more when they trade for a QB. The bust rate is the same but the expense is greater.

Walder's whole premise is bad.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#1732 » by MVP2110 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:53 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:I just showed you the list of trade ups for QBs. The math is literally the exact same. The difference is teams give up more when they trade for a QB. The bust rate is the same but the expense is greater.

Walder's whole premise is bad.

The % of success hits might be roughly the same but the value you get out of a hit when moving up for a QB is extensively higher. And the whole premise of the article is teams trading up use the same price points regardless of it's for a QB or not. Green Bay only gave up a 4th to move up and take Jordan Love. Last year the Texans traded #12, #33, a 2024 1st, and a 2024 3rd for Will Anderson. The Chiefs traded #27 a 3rd rounder & a 2018 1st for Mahomes. The following year the Saints traded #27, a 2019 1st, and a 5th rounder to Green Bay to select Marcus Davenport. The trade up price historically has been based around what pick you're moving up for, not what position the player your drafting is.
nagawicka
Pro Prospect
And1: 235

Post#1733 » by nagawicka » Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:34 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

Most of your examples were from 20 years ago or longer. so I'm not sure how relevant they are to the modern NFL. But if you know a trade you make has a 33% chance of success and a 67% chance of failure then it doesn't take rocket science to know ...
<snip>

He trade up for Jaire.
<snip>
2023:
Bryce Young

Six out of 18 looks a LOT like it could be maybe pretty close to 33%. I mean, if you worked through all the long division. At least in the ballpark of being almost one/third. Trading up for QBs, trading up for non-QBs, eh. Do you want that guy at that price, and is Gutey operating firmly in the 33% based on staff scouting? I'll happily watch him move all over the board to get the guys we like.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,857

Post#1734 » by coolhandluke121 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:10 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:

I guess you could argue that a good front office is less likely to overpay to trade up and more likely to draft a good player when they do, but I'm pretty much on Team Trade Down all day, every day. The recent analysis of trading up vs. trading down was terrific because of how it articulated what I was clumsily trying to say all along, which is that trade-up costs systematically overestimate the likelihood that any given prospect will be better than the next few prospects drafted at his position, a bias that cascades basically all the way through the draft. I think as you get closer and closer to the draft, you get more and more groupthink about wanting the most hyped players, but getting more bites at the apple is usually a better way to play the odds.

Just imagine being an average team and trading your average first for two average seconds and (maybe?) a third every year for ten years. I think you're quite a bit more likely to get 10 good players with 20 seconds and 10 thirds than with 10 firsts, and without many of the firsts being so good that it makes up the difference - especially since some of the seconds and even thirds are almost as likely to be great.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,955

Post#1735 » by Matches Malone » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:14 pm

Read on Twitter
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#1736 » by MVP2110 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:14 pm

coolhandluke121 wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

I guess you could argue that a good front office is less likely to overpay to trade up and more likely to draft a good player when they do, but I'm pretty much on Team Trade Down all day, every day. The recent analysis of trading up vs. trading down was terrific because of how it articulated what I was clumsily trying to say all along, which is that trade-up costs systematically overestimate the likelihood that any given prospect will be better than the next few prospects drafted at his position, a bias that cascades basically all the way through the draft. I think as you get closer and closer to the draft, you get more and more groupthink about wanting the most hyped players, but getting more bites at the apple is usually a better way to play the odds.

Just imagine being an average team and trading your average first for two average seconds and (maybe?) a third every year for ten years. I think you're quite a bit more likely to get 10 good players with 20 seconds and 10 thirds than with 10 firsts, and without many of the firsts being so good that it makes up the difference - especially since some of the seconds and even thirds are almost as likely to be great.

Really well said imo.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#1737 » by MVP2110 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:15 pm

Matches Malone wrote:
Read on Twitter

Now I need Cooper DeJean to fall to the 2nd so we can pick him there
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1738 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:19 pm

coolhandluke121 wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

Yea, you have to be really certain you like the guy you're trading up for. Like when the Packers traded up in the first for Clay Matthews Jr., Jaire Alexander, and Jordan Love.
Profound23
RealGM

Post#1739 » by Profound23 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:19 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:
Read on Twitter

Now I need Cooper DeJean to fall to the 2nd so we can pick him there

Or maybe Bulaga announces us drafting two offensive lineman.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,857

Post#1740 » by coolhandluke121 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 7:56 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Yea, you have to be really certain you like the guy you're trading up for. Like when the Packers traded up in the first for Clay Matthews Jr., Jaire Alexander, and Jordan Love.

I'm sure that they were "certain" they liked some other guys they traded up for who didn't pan out, too. I have confidence in Gute and his staff, who have been better than average IMO, but I have just as much confidence in them to make good picks later in the draft as I do in the first round - especially since development is a big part of the picture, and I think they are really good at that (at least on offense) right now.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.

Return to Green Bay Packers