Packers News, Transactions, Trades

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,903

Re: Packers News, Transactions, Trades 

Post#161 » by coolhandluke121 » Wed May 15, 2024 3:59 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
Zero disagreement on holding onto Rodgers a year too long. Tbh that's probably Gute's biggest mistake to date imo. Missing on a couple day 2 picks isn't that egregious because basically every GM does it. I'm not even sure the process has changed much with Gute. Take the Amari pick for example, Jayden Reed was a very similar process in the concept that the Packers "reached" for a slot WR who fell below their typical athletic thresholds. The 2nd time though it led to much better results. The Dillon & Deguara picks I agree with you that the instant they were taken they were pretty obviously bad picks, but I really think that's the only 2 picks he's made his entire tenure that stick out in that way. Josh Jackson for example I think was good process(a highly ranked CB at a position of need that fell to us) but didn't turn out, that's going to happen sometimes. The Love pick will almost assuredly determine how we view the 2021 draft which is why I graded it as average for now because I agree with you that we need a larger sample size to truly determine if Love is a top end QB, but I can't place it as a bad draft either given what we've seen from Love to this point. When you compare Gute's drafting resume to that of most GMs I truly think the 2021 draft is his only true "bad" class.

Plus if we're talking GM rankings as opposed to just drafting rankings then Gute jumps up more given his propensity to find good players through avenues other than the draft.

I don't mean to harp on those bad picks, but top-5 GM is a really high standard. I guess I would say that I'm 50/50 on putting him that high, mainly because the Rodgers contract and non-trade still irk me but also because of the failure to build a decent defense despite investing so much in it. Maybe I shouldn't have even mentioned any of the bad picks, as they're just the seasoning on the main dishes that keep him out of the elite category for now.

That said, it's not like I've dissected the work of other GM's enough to say exactly who should be ahead of him, but top-5 is still probably just a smidge too high for me.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,135

Post#162 » by MVP2110 » Wed May 15, 2024 4:16 pm

coolhandluke121 wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:
Zero disagreement on holding onto Rodgers a year too long. Tbh that's probably Gute's biggest mistake to date imo. Missing on a couple day 2 picks isn't that egregious because basically every GM does it. I'm not even sure the process has changed much with Gute. Take the Amari pick for example, Jayden Reed was a very similar process in the concept that the Packers "reached" for a slot WR who fell below their typical athletic thresholds. The 2nd time though it led to much better results. The Dillon & Deguara picks I agree with you that the instant they were taken they were pretty obviously bad picks, but I really think that's the only 2 picks he's made his entire tenure that stick out in that way. Josh Jackson for example I think was good process(a highly ranked CB at a position of need that fell to us) but didn't turn out, that's going to happen sometimes. The Love pick will almost assuredly determine how we view the 2021 draft which is why I graded it as average for now because I agree with you that we need a larger sample size to truly determine if Love is a top end QB, but I can't place it as a bad draft either given what we've seen from Love to this point. When you compare Gute's drafting resume to that of most GMs I truly think the 2021 draft is his only true "bad" class.

Plus if we're talking GM rankings as opposed to just drafting rankings then Gute jumps up more given his propensity to find good players through avenues other than the draft.

I don't mean to harp on those bad picks, but top-5 GM is a really high standard. I guess I would say that I'm 50/50 on putting him that high, mainly because the Rodgers contract and non-trade still irk me but also because of the failure to build a decent defense despite investing so much in it. Maybe I shouldn't have even mentioned any of the bad picks, as they're just the seasoning on the main dishes that keep him out of the elite category for now.

That said, it's not like I've dissected the work of other GM's enough to say exactly who should be ahead of him, but top-5 is still probably just a smidge too high for me.

I mean looking at the 3 GMs they ranked ahead of Gute and they've each had their fair share of missed picks too. Their #1 GM in Howie Roseman has drafted Andre Dillard & Jalen Reagor in the 1st round. Brett Veach at #2 drafted Clyde Edwards-Helaire in the 1st round and has numerous day 2 misses, just a couple of examples.

I get being upset at not trading Rodgers a year earlier, I would have too, but i think it's fairly easy to understand given they were coming off a great season and thought they could probably push all in for 1 more year. Once that didn't workout though he did successfully pivot away from Rodgers
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#163 » by MVP2110 » Wed May 15, 2024 4:17 pm

Packers vs Dolphins, Thanksgiving night

Read on Twitter
?t=1nzpe4NVjpoOo6Jk121k3A&s=19
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#164 » by MVP2110 » Wed May 15, 2024 4:18 pm

Packers vs Texans is a noon Kickoff, that's so lame

Read on Twitter
?t=FWLk9kot7O91vEozPPxzqA&s=19
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#165 » by MVP2110 » Wed May 15, 2024 4:21 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=YrXw91OPU-EdGamnfsmd-Q&s=19
Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,752

Post#166 » by Treebeard » Wed May 15, 2024 4:30 pm

If Dillon would have been picked in the 4th round instead of 2nd, he'd look pretty reasonable. Deguara, enh...maybe as a 6th or 7th rounder?
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#167 » by MVP2110 » Wed May 15, 2024 4:36 pm

So if the rumored leaks are correct the Packers will go between weeks 12-16

Vs SF Sunday afternoon
Vs Miami Thanksgiving night
At Detroit Thursday Night
At Seattle Sunday Night
Vs New Orleans Monday Night
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,182

Post#168 » by MickeyDavis » Wed May 15, 2024 5:12 pm

Not a fan of holiday games, Xmas or Thanksgiving. Large family gatherings suck for football. Many are interested in watching. But many aren't. Too much chit chat, hard to concentrate on the game. I'm all-in when watching Packers. I may have to be "sick" this year. and stay home.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
jute2003
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,361

Post#169 » by jute2003 » Wed May 15, 2024 5:42 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
coolhandluke121 wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:

I mean looking at the 3 GMs they ranked ahead of Gute and they've each had their fair share of missed picks too. Their #1 GM in Howie Roseman has drafted Andre Dillard & Jalen Reagor in the 1st round. Brett Veach at #2 drafted Clyde Edwards-Helaire in the 1st round and has numerous day 2 misses, just a couple of examples.

I get being upset at not trading Rodgers a year earlier, I would have too, but i think it's fairly easy to understand given they were coming off a great season and thought they could probably push all in for 1 more year. Once that didn't workout though he did successfully pivot away from Rodgers
There were still people 3/4s of the way through last season screeching about Love and how they never should have made that pick. Imagine if they would have moved on from Rodgers a year earlier. The pr hit would have been substantial and despite all of the board experts believing that shouldnt matter, it really does.

****, every bad game moving forward will bring out the I told you so trolls.
only a fan, only an opinion
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#170 » by MVP2110 » Wed May 15, 2024 7:46 pm

Full Packer schedule. Crazy that after week 1 no primetime games until Thanksgiving

Read on Twitter
?t=zeX4N0WSW7qe56GV1uHJfg&s=19
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#171 » by MickeyDavis » Wed May 15, 2024 8:31 pm

My gold package gets all 3 division games.

Only 1 Sunday night game. And when they start flexing later in the season we're already on other primetime nights. Guess the last 2 weeks could be a flex if both teams are still relevant.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,903

Post#172 » by coolhandluke121 » Wed May 15, 2024 9:19 pm

jute2003 wrote:There were still people 3/4s of the way through last season screeching about Love and how they never should have made that pick. Imagine if they would have moved on from Rodgers a year earlier. The pr hit would have been substantial and despite all of the board experts believing that shouldnt matter, it really does.

I'm not so sure about that. This fanbase went through the Favre drama, and about half the fans I knew were sick of Rodgers. Plus they were tired of the Groundhog Day effect with Rodgers under-performing in yet another a crucial playoff game, and he clearly wanted out. It was really a perfect storm in which you could basically get away with trading a QB of that stature. Sure, some people would bitch about it for years, but that often happens anyway, and there would be just as many people calling you a genius for making the difficult decision - especially with the haul Rodgers could have fetched a year earlier.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,197

Post#173 » by Ron Swanson » Wed May 15, 2024 9:53 pm

Yes, the toxic Jordan Love discourse through the first half of last season was pretty insufferable. People never learn their lesson with young players though. Sure, sometimes you're "right" when you prematurely crush a guy and it turns out he never gets better, but oh boy, if he turns out good (see also: Rashan Gary), you better be ready to eat that **** crow because the receipts are all here somewhere...
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,324

Post#174 » by jakecronus8 » Wed May 15, 2024 11:17 pm

All football should be played Sundays at Noon.
Do it for Chuck
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,346

Post#175 » by ReasonablySober » Wed May 15, 2024 11:22 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Yes, the toxic Jordan Love discourse through the first half of last season was pretty insufferable. People never learn their lesson with young players though. Sure, sometimes you're "right" when you prematurely crush a guy and it turns out he never gets better, but oh boy, if he turns out good (see also: Rashan Gary), you better be ready to eat that **** crow because the receipts are all here somewhere...

Probably should chill with this. You spent the first half of the season calling him bad and said it wasn't too early to question whether or not he was the answer. The receipts are all here.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#176 » by MVP2110 » Wed May 15, 2024 11:23 pm

jakecronus8 wrote:All football should be played Sundays at Noon.

Gross. Noon games are the worst(well besides thursday games). Afternoon Games>Sunday Night>Monday Night>Noon>Thursday Night
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 21,163

Post#177 » by Matches Malone » Thu May 16, 2024 12:01 am

Read on Twitter
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#178 » by MickeyDavis » Thu May 16, 2024 12:05 am

Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 21,163

Post#179 » by Matches Malone » Thu May 16, 2024 12:19 am

Read on Twitter
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,197

Post#180 » by Ron Swanson » Thu May 16, 2024 12:53 am

ReasonablySober wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:Yes, the toxic Jordan Love discourse through the first half of last season was pretty insufferable. People never learn their lesson with young players though. Sure, sometimes you're "right" when you prematurely crush a guy and it turns out he never gets better, but oh boy, if he turns out good (see also: Rashan Gary), you better be ready to eat that **** crow because the receipts are all here somewhere...

Probably should chill with this. You spent the first half of the season calling him bad and said it wasn't too early to question whether or not he was the answer. The receipts are all here.

You think that was an unreasonable analysis at the time? I called him good when he played good and I criticized him when I thought he played bad in that 4-5 week stretch. Meanwhile, there were people here outright taking their premature victory laps cuz they were so desperate to clown on Gute and the organization. Pretty sure I never “gave up” on him like so many Packer fans did after Week 7.

Return to Green Bay Packers