Marley2Hendrix
RealGM
And1: 2,436

Re: Jordan Love Thread - All Aboard the Love Train 

Post#881 » by Marley2Hendrix » Mon May 20, 2024 8:18 pm

GiannisAnte34 wrote:
M-C-G wrote:
GiannisAnte34 wrote:
people said the same things about Baker his first year when he threw 27 TDs on a crummy Cleveland team

People say lots of stuff but Baker still had 14 INT to go with it. I think your glass is half empty and mine is half full. We probably both hope I am right.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you dig deep into 2nd year QBs (particularly those with a mobile element) almost all of them fall off significantly. RG3, Dak, Vince Young, Steve Young... the drop off is steeper for those that had a harder schedule their 2nd year too

Maybe I'm crazy, but going into the Love era, I remember one poster hammering Love didn't have the metrics to be considered a mobile qb, and, frankly, strikes me as a guy whose in-game mobility will be pretty similar to a prime rodgers (i.e., not at all a crutch or something he actively looks for). I'm not declaring him an all-pro for next year, but he's putting in the work, the receivers (TEs/WRs) should theoretically only get better/more in sync, we have a great scheme, and the o-line should match last year. I feel good he's not on pace for a major regression. I think his biggest weakness is other than the Saints game, he doesn't look like he has great 4th quarter chops yet and a favrian tendency to force bad balls, buuuut, little experience and I do think that improves.
You gotta make it sexy! Hips and nips, otherwise I'm not eating.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,409

Post#882 » by M-C-G » Mon May 20, 2024 8:22 pm

GiannisAnte34 wrote:
M-C-G wrote:
GiannisAnte34 wrote:
people said the same things about Baker his first year when he threw 27 TDs on a crummy Cleveland team

People say lots of stuff but Baker still had 14 INT to go with it. I think your glass is half empty and mine is half full. We probably both hope I am right.

If you dig deep into 2nd year QBs (particularly those with a mobile element) almost all of them fall off significantly. RG3, Dak, Vince Young, Steve Young... the drop off is steeper for those that had a harder schedule their 2nd year too

I’m not ruling that possibility out but other than Dak that list is not comparable at all to the way Love plays. I just think you believe he isn’t legit, which is fine and trying to figure out a way to justify the feeling. Daks year 2 QBR is relatively in line with his career QBR and I think most people see him as a top 8 or so QB

Steve Young is interesting but the game has changed too much since then, but even if you accepted that comp, are we really worried if Love ends up too much like Steve Young? Don’t think so

Finn
Starter
And1: 2,313

Post#883 » by Finn » Mon May 20, 2024 8:23 pm

GiannisAnte34 wrote:
M-C-G wrote:
GiannisAnte34 wrote:people said the same things about Baker his first year when he threw 27 TDs on a crummy Cleveland team

"Significant fall off?" I don't see it.

RG3; Dak; VY; SY
GiannisAnte34
Starter
And1: 1,886

Post#884 » by GiannisAnte34 » Mon May 20, 2024 8:36 pm

Finn wrote:
GiannisAnte34 wrote:
M-C-G wrote:People say lots of stuff but Baker still had 14 INT to go with it. I think your glass is half empty and mine is half full. We probably both hope I am right.

RG3; Dak; VY; SY

a 102 passer rating to 82 passer rating isn't a significant drop in production?
GiannisAnte34
Starter

Post#885 » by GiannisAnte34 » Mon May 20, 2024 8:37 pm

M-C-G wrote:
GiannisAnte34 wrote:
M-C-G wrote:

I’m not ruling that possibility out but other than Dak that list is not comparable at all to the way Love plays. I just think you believe he isn’t legit, which is fine and trying to figure out a way to justify the feeling. Daks year 2 QBR is relatively in line with his career QBR and I think most people see him as a top 8 or so QB

Steve Young is interesting but the game has changed too much since then, but even if you accepted that comp, are we really worried if Love ends up too much like Steve Young? Don’t think so

who is comparable to the way Love plays?
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,387

Post#886 » by ReasonablySober » Mon May 20, 2024 8:45 pm

GiannisAnte34 wrote:
M-C-G wrote:
GiannisAnte34 wrote:

Aaron Rodgers. 8-)
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,239

Post#887 » by Ron Swanson » Mon May 20, 2024 9:54 pm

RGIII "regressing" his 2nd season is a really weird way to say "he tore his ACL and was never the same". Vince Young sucked his rookie year. Dak was a textbook game manager his first 3-years and wasn't asked to take on anywhere near the type of offensive responsibility that Love had. None of these examples are particularly compelling as a comp to what Love just did.
Finn
Starter
And1: 2,313

Post#888 » by Finn » Mon May 20, 2024 11:30 pm

GiannisAnte34 wrote:
Finn wrote:
GiannisAnte34 wrote:If you dig deep into 2nd year QBs (particularly those with a mobile element) almost all of them fall off significantly. RG3, Dak, Vince Young, Steve Young... the drop off is steeper for those that had a harder schedule their 2nd year too

RG3; Dak; VY; SY

a 102 passer rating to 82 passer rating isn't a significant drop in production?

More concerning to me than significant. And if you're going only by passer rating, both Youngs improved in year 2, albeit slight.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,409

Post#889 » by M-C-G » Tue May 21, 2024 1:10 am

GiannisAnte34 wrote:
M-C-G wrote:
GiannisAnte34 wrote:

I thought Dak was a pretty good comp. The rest of the list, not so much.

I also think Mahomes but I don’t like comping to him just because of how incredible he has been.

Ron Swanson
RealGM

Post#890 » by Ron Swanson » Tue May 21, 2024 3:22 pm

I think a much better comparison/projection for Love would be Trevor Lawrence from Year 2 to Year 3. He kinda regressed this past season after an awesome breakout sophomore season, but does/should that really affect peoples' opinion on him moving forward? They added some more weapons (Brian Thomas, Keilan Robinson, Gabriel Davis) and Pederson is still a great offensive coach. His arrow is still pointing up, much like Love.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 3,065

Post#891 » by BUCKnation » Tue May 21, 2024 5:51 pm

He might see a slump, but his 2nd half of the season performance against a much tougher schedule would lead you to believe that a slump is more unlikely.
GiannisAnte34
Starter

Post#892 » by GiannisAnte34 » Tue May 21, 2024 10:16 pm

What quality teams did Love beat in the 2nd half of the season? Detroit and a banged up KC team?

I don’t consider Minnesota decimated by injuries as a real team. Chicago a joke. Lost to Tampa, lost to New York. Carolina a joke. Chargers a joke.

How on earth was this a “tougher part” of the schedule?

His two impressive wins were against Detroit and Dallas, all the other games were low to mid difficulty if we’re being honest
MVP2110
Head Coach
And1: 3,136

Post#893 » by MVP2110 » Tue May 21, 2024 10:34 pm

GiannisAnte34 wrote:What quality teams did Love beat in the 2nd half of the season? Detroit and a banged up KC team?

I don’t consider Minnesota decimated by injuries as a real team. Chicago a joke. Lost to Tampa, lost to New York. Carolina a joke. Chargers a joke.

His two impressive wins were against Detroit and Dallas, all the other games were low to mid difficulty if we’re being honest

Somehow glossing over the trio of Kansas City, Detroit, and Dallas is pretty talented. I think we all agree that we need a larger sample size on Love but I don't think anyone would disagree that what he did last season was really impressive
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
GiannisAnte34
Starter

Post#894 » by GiannisAnte34 » Tue May 21, 2024 11:18 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
GiannisAnte34 wrote:What quality teams did Love beat in the 2nd half of the season? Detroit and a banged up KC team?

Somehow glossing over the trio of Kansas City, Detroit, and Dallas is pretty talented. I think we all agree that we need a larger sample size on Love but I don't think anyone would disagree that what he did last season was really impressive

Wasn’t KC also banged up to the point the Packers were a flip to win by betting sites? Correct me if I’m wrong here
MVP2110
Head Coach
And1: 3,136

Post#895 » by MVP2110 » Tue May 21, 2024 11:32 pm

GiannisAnte34 wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:

Wasn’t KC also banged up to the point the Packers were a flip to win by betting sites? Correct me if I’m wrong here

The Chiefs were favored by 6

https://sportsdata.usatoday.com/football/nfl/odds/2553760
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
Ron Swanson
RealGM

Post#896 » by Ron Swanson » Wed May 22, 2024 1:50 pm

Mahomes with his full compliment of weapons on offense was a "banged up" Chiefs team when we beat them minus our #1 RB and TE (Jones and Musgrave)? Well, ok then.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 3,065

Post#897 » by BUCKnation » Wed May 22, 2024 3:45 pm

And outside of the lions, we didn't play a playoff team in the first half of the season.
MoreTrife
Head Coach
And1: 2,386

Post#898 » by MoreTrife » Wed May 22, 2024 6:14 pm

Love will have a great season. End of story haha.
jute2003
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,361

Post#899 » by jute2003 » Wed May 22, 2024 11:49 pm

It is entirely possible that Love will take a step back this season. He's a young qb and **** changes so fast. He also got a little lucky at times last year. My problem was always the people writing him off after like 4 starts.
Rockmaninoff
General Manager
And1: 1,671

Post#900 » by Rockmaninoff » Thu May 23, 2024 1:41 pm

Defenses were playing to Love's tendencies early last season, and then he figured it out. That was the slump.

The football acumen, vision, pocket awareness, and insane arm talent Love displayed late last season make it hard to believe defenses will be able to stop him consistently.
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:The fight for civil rights just like for liberty and justice and peace won't be won by man. It will take a god...so lets move on to sports.

Magic Giannison wrote:Giannis is god but even god's cannot save our **** team.

Return to Green Bay Packers