ImageImage

Packers 2022 Offseason Thread - Adams Traded to Raiders for 2022 1st and 2nd Rd Picks

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

DrWood
Head Coach
And1: 2,383

Re: Packers 2022 Offseason Thread - Adams Traded to Raiders for 2022 1st and 2nd Rd Picks 

Post#1961 » by DrWood » Thu Apr 7, 2022 7:42 pm

Matches Malone wrote:My guess is Gute hung up the phone when they asked for a 2nd.

Read on Twitter

I'd take that trade. Cooks is good.
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,198

Re: Packers 2022 Offseason Thread - Adams Traded to Raiders for 2022 1st and 2nd Rd Picks 

Post#1962 » by JimmyTheKid » Thu Apr 7, 2022 8:01 pm

Matches Malone wrote:
Read on Twitter

"After the combine, Adams called head coach Matt LaFleur, general manager Brian Gutekunst and other Packers decision-makers to inform them that he’d never again play for Green Bay. The conversations were respectful, and Adams believed they were necessary to get his point across".

Another important point: the #Packers initially asked for a 1st and an undisclosed player, but later both teams realized you can't trade another player for a franchise-tagged one. So, it had to be Adams for picks.

Indirectly, Adams had previously relayed the message to the Packers that he wanted out, and that his unhappiness with the organization extended far beyond the franchise tag.

I have questions...
Reddeye
Bench Warmer
And1: 275

Post#1963 » by Reddeye » Thu Apr 7, 2022 8:23 pm

JimmyTheKid wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:
Read on Twitter

"After the combine, Adams called head coach Matt LaFleur, general manager Brian Gutekunst and other Packers decision-makers to inform them that he’d never again play for Green Bay. The conversations were respectful, and Adams believed they were necessary to get his point across".

Another important point: the #Packers initially asked for a 1st and an undisclosed player, but later both teams realized you can't trade another player for a franchise-tagged one. So, it had to be Adams for picks.

Indirectly, Adams had previously relayed the message to the Packers that he wanted out, and that his unhappiness with the organization extended far beyond the franchise tag.

I have questions...

What does this even mean? I get him being unhappy with his contract. He has been underpaid for a few years. Did the Packers lowball him when they first tried to extend him? Is there something else? Is he upset with certain players being let go like Rodgers is\was?
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,198

Post#1964 » by JimmyTheKid » Thu Apr 7, 2022 8:41 pm

Guessing Davante wanted the organization to treat him like the best WR in football some time ago and the Packers sat on their hands until the "please stay, hail mary" contract offer right before the trade. Doesn't seem that difficult to me to keep your once-in-a-generation talent happy but what I do know. The organization managed to piss off both Rodgers and Adams, losing Adams and spending a sh*tload of money and promises to keep Rodgers. Wonder how much $$$ they cost themselves by being reactive instead of proactive.
Reddeye
Bench Warmer
And1: 275

Post#1965 » by Reddeye » Thu Apr 7, 2022 8:55 pm

JimmyTheKid wrote:Guessing Davante wanted the organization to treat him like the best WR in football some time ago and the Packers sat on their hands until the "please stay, hail mary" contract offer right before the trade. Doesn't seem that difficult to me to keep your once-in-a-generation talent happy but what I do know. The organization managed to piss off both Rodgers and Adams, losing Adams and spending a sh*tload of money and promises to keep Rodgers. Wonder how much $$$ they cost themselves by being reactive instead of proactive.

I thought they were talking contract before last season. The sticking point was how to value the Hopkins extension.
LittleRooster
General Manager
And1: 3,121

Post#1966 » by LittleRooster » Thu Apr 7, 2022 9:50 pm

Reddeye wrote:
JimmyTheKid wrote:Guessing Davante wanted the organization to treat him like the best WR in football some time ago and the Packers sat on their hands until the "please stay, hail mary" contract offer right before the trade. Doesn't seem that difficult to me to keep your once-in-a-generation talent happy but what I do know. The organization managed to piss off both Rodgers and Adams, losing Adams and spending a sh*tload of money and promises to keep Rodgers. Wonder how much $$$ they cost themselves by being reactive instead of proactive.

I thought they were talking contract before last season. The sticking point was how to value the Hopkins extension.

Right and that’s why he was pissed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LikeABosh
RealGM
And1: 8,639

Post#1967 » by LikeABosh » Thu Apr 7, 2022 10:19 pm

stillgotgame wrote:
LikeABosh wrote:
stillgotgame wrote:If we don’t get an extension done with Jaire by the draft I hope we trade him for picks. His value is understandably down a little after he missed most of last year but it’s still high. If we let this drag out into the season we lose more leverage. No way we’ll have the cap room to franchise him next year.

We do. Outlook is better next year than it was this off-season.

Better to hang on to him for now. 2 firsts on a tag and trade is still very possible if we wanted to go that route again

Cap next year is much uglier than this year. Lots of people to resign plus our top 5 cap hits go up from $77M this year to $116M.
I still hope we can hold him for a year and still get picks for him next year. That would be awesome.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/cap/2023/

No, it's not. We were in the negative to start this year. Next year we're starting with $34 million in cap space instead. That's a huge difference

And we only have a few key free agents: Jaire, Jenkins and maybe one of Amos/Savage. Nobody else is a top priority. We've got plenty of room to keep everyone that would hurt to lose or would be difficult to replace
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,266

Post#1968 » by skones » Fri Apr 8, 2022 6:02 pm

LittleRooster wrote:
Reddeye wrote:

Which is fine. There's a massive difference between paying a QB big money that keeps you in contention and paying a WR big money. A top WR is a luxury, not a necessity. I think it was an egregious error to piss off Rodgers, I don't feel the same way about Adams. Sort of the cost of doing business here.
bobsacamano
Ballboy
And1: 12

Post#1969 » by bobsacamano » Fri Apr 8, 2022 6:50 pm

skones wrote:
LittleRooster wrote:
Reddeye wrote:

Which is fine. There's a massive difference between paying a QB big money that keeps you in contention and paying a WR big money. A top WR is a luxury, not a necessity. I think it was an egregious error to piss off Rodgers, I don't feel the same way about Adams. Sort of the cost of doing business here.

Agreed. I think the bigger issue RE Davante being upset long ago is the Packers not prepping for him leaving; i.e. drafting only 1 WR total from 2019-2021. Even if they thought he'd stay they should've had a backup plan other than rolling with Lazard/Cobb/rookies.

Return to Green Bay Packers