ImageImage

Game 1: Packers at Vikings - 3:25 - Fox

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,326

Re: Game 1: Packers at Vikings - 3:25 - Fox 

Post#381 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:30 pm

Even the announcers made the comment some time in the late 3rd quarter about how Watson "hasn't been targeted since the drop" on the first play. 4 targets (only 3 before garbage time) with two catches for 37 yards. Whether it's Aaron freezing him out after the drop, or MLF not drawing up another shot play for him, this can't be the case this year. You're going to have to live with the occasional rookie mistakes and drop.

Sammy Watkins is who he is. I don't know why people are still surprised that he's a non-factor on the field unless you just haven't watched him the last 3 years. Was not thrilled that he was our lone veteran pass catching acquisition, and he only made the roster because he's literally one of only 3 guys in the WR room that's caught more than 50 NFL passes. If you're expecting more than WR #4-5 production, then you probably need to alter your expectations.
PintSizedBox10
Head Coach
And1: 3,240

Post#382 » by PintSizedBox10 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 2:43 pm

I think MLF tried dialing up some shots but the OL was getting mauled.

I'm keeping my expectations low this year with all the young receivers. The fact we're banking on rookies to be big time contributors says it all. And then there's also the mash unit OL. Not ideal for a team with Super Bowl aspirations

Sent from my SM-G981U using RealGM mobile app
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,367

Post#383 » by Mags FTW » Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:23 pm

We'll see how the O fares once they get Jenkins back and Aaron has more time. If people still can't get open, then Gute needs to kick the tires on Fuller, Beasley, etc. and call teams about possible trades.
TroyD92
RealGM
And1: 10,856

Post#384 » by TroyD92 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:45 pm

Defense gave up 6 points after halftime. The first half was clearly a disaster, but really don't think there's a big issue with the defense. The anemic offense? That could be a problem. Still think there's too much talent on that side and if the stars align and Bakh and Jenkins come back it should all stabilize.
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

Kidd would have curb stomped him.

Maybe if his name was Denise instead of Dennis.

Fotis St wrote:Wherever you are David, I love you man.
Flames24Rulz
Head Coach
And1: 343

Post#385 » by Flames24Rulz » Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:55 pm

TroyD92 wrote:Defense gave up 6 points after halftime. The first half was clearly a disaster, but really don't think there's a big issue with the defense. The anemic offense? That could be a problem. Still think there's too much talent on that side and if the stars align and Bakh and Jenkins come back it should all stabilize.

My concern with the defense is with the coordinator. The personnel is good and we should be optimistic about them. Barry's reluctance to not play to his strengths of his defense was awfully reminiscent of Pettine yesterday. I totally understand not playing man the entire game, but at least switch it up and have one of the best cover CB's in the league take on one of the best WR's in the league. There's absolutely no excuse for Jefferson to be as wide open as he was time and time and time again yesterday.

I'm also not really too worried about the offense. Outside of 2020, our offense has put on 3 stinkers under MLF in the opener. Going back to McCarthy, that was also a problem more often than not. As long as Jenkins is able to go, I'll feel a lot better about the offense. And hopefully Tom's second half earned him a spot in the starting five next week instead of the garbage that was out there on the right side of the line yesterday.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,282

Post#386 » by LUKE23 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:02 pm

Yeah, the starting slow on offense has been a long trend. It's really **** annoying given the first game is the game you have the most prep time for, but I also don't think it condemns the offense for the season. They need the OL to get healthy though. I feel like both Watson and Doubs are explosive enough to get open and getting Lazard back will help some. Tonyan also looked good running yesterday.

And yes, if the defense isn't studly it's on Barry and nobody else, because the talent is there.
Ron Swanson
RealGM

Post#387 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:27 pm

TroyD92 wrote:Defense gave up 6 points after halftime. The first half was clearly a disaster, but really don't think there's a big issue with the defense. The anemic offense? That could be a problem. Still think there's too much talent on that side and if the stars align and Bakh and Jenkins come back it should all stabilize.

Yeah, defense actually held them to a worse 3rd down conversion rate than us (30% vs. 33%) and we were much more efficient than them (4.5 vs. 6.1 YPC) in the ground game. Here's the outcome of all Minnesota's 2nd half drives:

3 & out - FG
5-plays 3:57 drive - punt
11-plays, 5:00 drive - FG
7-plays, 2:37 drive - punt (garbage time)

Rodgers doesn't fumble and set them up in easy FG range, and the defense basically gave up one long drive for 3 points in the 2nd half. Offense just couldn't get anything going whatsoever.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,282

Post#388 » by LUKE23 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:29 pm

Also, I know it's already been said, but MLF starting that offensive line combination is completely inexcusable given how bad Newman has been since we've had him and how bad Hanson was in training camp. That combo gave up 7 of the 11 pressures yesterday and one of the Hanson pressures AR had Cobb wide open for a TD but couldn't unload it.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,243

Post#389 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:29 pm

I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
leroyjw10
Sixth Man
And1: 1,270

Post#390 » by leroyjw10 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 4:33 pm

I thought the Packers ran the ball really well, including the reverses to the rooks. Given the young or lack of talent at WR, this team needs to lean on Jones and Dillon. This season needs to be a Elway-giving-way-to-Terrell Davis kind of season. I'd run on it on first down and second down and throw on third, with the occassionaly play action mixed in.
Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,752

Post#391 » by Treebeard » Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:14 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Image

If I'm reading that chart correctly, the two weakest links (Newman and Hanson) on the OLine played 100% of the snaps?
Ron Swanson
RealGM

Post#392 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:26 pm

I totally get not wanting to shuffle the line mid-game, but next week Hanson better be firmly planted on the bench in favor of Tom. I'm willing to give Newman the benefit of the doubt considering how consistent he was last year.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,367

Post#393 » by Mags FTW » Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:31 pm

Really thought we would see more Jones & Dillon in the backfield together. Dillon getting twice as many carries as Jones despite averaging half per attempt is also puzzling/frustrating.
TroyD92
RealGM
And1: 10,856

Post#394 » by TroyD92 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 6:29 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:I totally get not wanting to shuffle the line mid-game, but next week Hanson better be firmly planted on the bench in favor of Tom. I'm willing to give Newman the benefit of the doubt considering how consistent he was last year.

Newman feels really out of place at Tackle. They need to get one of Bahk or Jenkins back asap.
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

Kidd would have curb stomped him.

Maybe if his name was Denise instead of Dennis.

Fotis St wrote:Wherever you are David, I love you man.
Swan Vox
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,917

Post#395 » by Swan Vox » Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:29 pm

I get the “tough love” urgency approach by Rodgers with his new receivers, but he really needs to work on his body language when things arnt going right. If I were a rookie wr, I’d be deathly afraid of “disappointed / vindictive Aaron”. It’s just not a great way to build rapport with already nervous kids playing in their first game. Whether he likes it or not he needs guys like Watson and Doubs this year…build em up instead of freezing em out.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,686

Post#396 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:37 pm

Feels like we're going on about a decade straight of the Packers defense acting like motion is some magic trick they've never seen before. Always confused and ending up in terrible matchups. Speaking of terrible, it was a rough day for both safeties.

On O, no one was sharp but the inability to protect wrecked the game. I can't even really judge the WRs because for a long portion of the game the Packers were only running quick little dump offs. They weren't sharp enough to dink and dunk because one mistake basically ends drives like that. Need to figure the line.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
th87
RealGM
And1: 9,853

Post#397 » by th87 » Mon Sep 12, 2022 7:51 pm

Swan Vox wrote:I get the “tough love” urgency approach by Rodgers with his new receivers, but he really needs to work on his body language when things arnt going right. If I were a rookie wr, I’d be deathly afraid of “disappointed / vindictive Aaron”. It’s just not a great way to build rapport with already nervous kids playing in their first game. Whether he likes it or not he needs guys like Watson and Doubs this year…build em up instead of freezing em out.

Yeah, psychedelics are supposed to help with that, so he might need another Peru trip soon.

(Are they even working at all? He seems more irritable than ever.)

But also, how does an NFL wide receiver drop that? This should be automatic at this point.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 21,215

Post#398 » by Matches Malone » Mon Sep 12, 2022 9:33 pm

Not surprising but such a bummer that Amari hasn't given us more to this point. He was so dynamic in college and this offense is desperate for playmakers in the open field.

Read on Twitter
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,686

Post#399 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:23 pm

Matches Malone wrote:Not surprising but such a bummer that Amari hasn't given us more to this point. He was so dynamic in college and this offense is desperate for playmakers in the open field.

Read on Twitter
Yeah might as well just have Cobb be the return man and save the roster spot.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
MVP2110
Head Coach
And1: 3,137

Post#400 » by MVP2110 » Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:51 pm

It was a tale of 2 games for Jake Hansen. He was the #1 guard in the NFL in run block win rate. He was also the dead last guard in the NFL in PFFs pass blocking grades

Read on Twitter
?t=kDbb6kmblurW7dHyFVaYOw&s=19
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"

Return to Green Bay Packers