ImageImage

Game 6: Packers at Broncos - 3:25 - CBS

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,407

Re: Game 6: Packers at Broncos - 3:25 - CBS 

Post#401 » by M-C-G » Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:28 pm

Anyone else feel like the play calling has been really vanilla the last two weeks? I am guessing we had to dumb some things down because of all the young guys, but I just don't think any of the misdirection stuff, crossing routes, clever stuff has really been there much.

And this Offensive Line looks like trash. Not use to saying that with the Packers. Myers, Runyan, Newman all look absolutely terrible. Walker I think was an undrafted or late drafted guy, just don't think he is ready to be a starting tackle. Which probably is the answer to my question above now that I think about it.
jimmybones
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,778

Post#402 » by jimmybones » Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:31 pm

There are larger issues at play but I still can't comprehend how often they choose to send Toure on deep routes and how often Love throws it. He's probably the smallest and least athletic WR they have.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,132

Post#403 » by MVP2110 » Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:32 pm

M-C-G wrote:Anyone else feel like the play calling has been really vanilla the last two weeks? I am guessing we had to dumb some things down because of all the young guys, but I just don't think any of the misdirection stuff, crossing routes, clever stuff has really been there much.

And this Offensive Line looks like trash. Not use to saying that with the Packers. Myers, Runyan, Newman all look absolutely terrible. Walker I think was an undrafted or late drafted guy, just don't think he is ready to be a starting tackle. Which probably is the answer to my question above now that I think about it.

I think your 2nd point nailed it. To me it seemed like MLF called yesterday's game like he didn't trust the OL to hold up.
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
zmanishere11
Sixth Man
And1: 246

Post#404 » by zmanishere11 » Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:34 pm

There's so much bad about the team I'm not sure where to even start.

The Love bad is most concerning, and you can blame his accuracy, the protection, and the coaching. Thing is, he was good when he had all 3 of those things for the first 3 games - can we fix this stuff? no idea.

He's not even attempting to throw the ball past 10 yards. Why is this??? Probably all of the above.

There's no identity at WR. No one standing out. A couple of guys that look like nice #2/3 WR's. I wanted Jaxson Smith-Njigba mostly because I felt helping Love his first year was going to be the most important piece of the off-season - that one is going to hurt. Musgrave can get open at will within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage - why is he not running down field at all????

I could complain all day, I'm just rooting for losses at this point for draft position in a great draft. Those Bears / Panthers games could be huge end of this year for draft positioning.

Our last 1st round pick on offense besides Jordan Love is Derrick Sherrod in 2011......
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,289

Post#405 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Oct 23, 2023 2:39 pm

zmanishere11 wrote:There's so much bad about the team I'm not sure where to even start.

The Love bad is most concerning, and you can blame his accuracy, the protection, and the coaching. Thing is, he was good when he had all 3 of those things for the first 3 games - can we fix this stuff? no idea.

He's not even attempting to throw the ball past 10 yards. Why is this??? Probably all of the above.

There's no identity at WR. No one standing out. A couple of guys that look like nice #2/3 WR's. I wanted Jaxson Smith-Njigba mostly because I felt helping Love his first year was going to be the most important piece of the off-season - that one is going to hurt. Musgrave can get open at will within 10 yards of the line of scrimmage - why is he not running down field at all????

I could complain all day, I'm just rooting for losses at this point for draft position in a great draft. Those Bears / Panthers games could be huge end of this year for draft positioning.

Our last 1st round pick on offense besides Jordan Love is Derrick Sherrod in 2011......

I think during the telecast yesterday they said he was leading the league in air yards per attempt.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,113

Post#406 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:11 pm

I know it's easy to sit on the couch and criticize plays that don't work after the fact but it drives me crazy to throw it 5 yards short of the marker on third down and hope/expect your receiver to pick it up. Sure it works sometimes but it seems as if it rarely works this year.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,113

Post#407 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:28 pm

Snap counts.

Offense: 64 snaps

Walker - 64
Tom - 64
Jenkins - 64
Runyan - 64 (he's played every snap of every game)
Myers - 60
Nijman - 4

Dillon - 35
Jones - 23
Wilson - 5

Musgrave - 43
Kraft - 32
Deguara - 17
Sims - 4

Watson - 56
Doubs - 52
Reed - 31
Wicks - 14
Toure - 7

Defense - 59 snaps

Clark - 49
Slaton - 34
Brooks - 26
Wooden - 19
Wyatt - 10

Walker - 59
Smith - 42
Gary - 40
McDuffie - 39
Enagbare - 18
Van Ness - 18
Wilson - 8
Cox - 3

Douglas - 59
Valentine - 59
Ford - 59
Nixon - 43
Owens - 32
Savage - 30
Johnson - 4

Some of these guys also played some ST snaps.

Stokes played no regular snaps but played 4 ST snaps (and got hurt).
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,165

Post#408 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:30 pm

Situational awareness improving over the course of the season is the biggest thing I wanna see with a young QB. It's not so much throwing it 5-yards short of the marker (that may have been the play-call), but on that 3rd and 20, just knowing that you're in 4-down territory and don't need to get the 1st on one big chunk play, as opposed to YOLO'ing it and sealing the game with an INT.

Hell, even with the holding penalty, we were right at midfield. Just get 8-10 yards and you have a chance to win the game on a FG attempt. 58-62 yards at Mile High with a strong leg kicker like Anders is doable.
Wooderson
RealGM
And1: 5,369

Post#409 » by Wooderson » Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:32 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
trwi7 wrote:I ignore it because their grading is **** stupid. Just like i ignore QBR because that grading is **** stupid.

Ah yes, an unbiased grading system that NFL teams & colleges pay for, and that also correlates extremely well to what decisions NFL teams make is stupid. Definitely.

The problem is also you using it to say Love has been average - with the implied definition of average being ~ 15th best starting QB. However, QBs in the 15 range tend to be low 70's overall score wise. There's a disconnect here.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#410 » by MVP2110 » Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:36 pm

Wooderson wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:
trwi7 wrote:I ignore it because their grading is **** stupid. Just like i ignore QBR because that grading is **** stupid.

Ah yes, an unbiased grading system that NFL teams & colleges pay for, and that also correlates extremely well to what decisions NFL teams make is stupid. Definitely.

The problem is also you using it to say Love has been average - with the implied definition of average being ~ 15th best starting QB. However, QBs in the 15 range tend to be low 70's overall score wise. There's a disconnect here.

I appreciate your discussion rather than just saying PFF is stupid. You're right that right now they have Love 25th, but he's within earshot of being top 20 and he probably has the worst situation of any starting QB in the NFL this year. Add in conjuction that Herman had him positively rated and as the 5th best offensive player this year. Again I am not saying he's good or definitely the future. I just think people saying he's awful or writing him off are going to too far of an extreme
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#411 » by MVP2110 » Mon Oct 23, 2023 3:37 pm

This is wild. It's particularly interesting because for years MLFs scripted play succsss was among the best in the NFL and then it'd get worse in the 2nd half. That's totally flipped this year

Read on Twitter
?t=7E0kAn_fLBtLB6SvdoEdTA&s=19
rayallenscalves
Junior
And1: 222

Post#412 » by rayallenscalves » Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:25 pm

I'm not even close to ready to do it yet, but if the season continues on its current trend, I wouldn't be against giving Clifford a start in the last couple of weeks. He looked at least competent in the preseason.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,684

Post#413 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:26 pm

rayallenscalves wrote:I'm not even close to ready to do it yet, but if the season continues on its current trend, I wouldn't be against giving Clifford a start in the last couple of weeks. He looked at least competent in the preseason.
I by no means think Clifford is the answer to anything but I was thinking yesterday I wouldn't mind Love twisting an ankle and missing a week or two just to see what the O looks like with someone else for a comparison sake.

Sent from my SM-F731U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
MoreTrife
Head Coach
And1: 2,385

Post#414 » by MoreTrife » Mon Oct 23, 2023 4:55 pm

M-C-G wrote:Anyone else feel like the play calling has been really vanilla the last two weeks? I am guessing we had to dumb some things down because of all the young guys, but I just don't think any of the misdirection stuff, crossing routes, clever stuff has really been there much.

Yeah, I can't remember a single screen (maybe a Jones one) or jet sweep that's gone well. It just seems like it's been Jayden Reed and Watson getting absolutely blown up or Musgrave going down after two.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,266

Post#415 » by skones » Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:14 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
Wooderson wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:

I appreciate your discussion rather than just saying PFF is stupid. You're right that right now they have Love 25th, but he's within earshot of being top 20 and he probably has the worst situation of any starting QB in the NFL this year. Add in conjuction that Herman had him positively rated and as the 5th best offensive player this year. Again I am not saying he's good or definitely the future. I just think people saying he's awful or writing him off are going to too far of an extreme

I'm not sure why you keep repeating this given it's 5th best on this team currently ranked 20th in scoring offense. That doesn't seem like some feather in his cap.

I think it's also disingenuous to call this the worst situation of any starting QB in the NFL this year. It feels like painting with a broad brush to, once again, excuse Love's play. You've got **** situations all over the league, the Pats, Arizona, Pittsburgh, and the Giants are all teams with trash situations. What makes those situations any better than Love's?

You're touting all of these "unbiased metrics," and they've all just fallen apart for you. PFF bad. EPA/play bad. CPOE bad. So, if you're going to defend him, is it not you who's biased at this point?
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#416 » by MVP2110 » Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:18 pm

skones wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:
Wooderson wrote:

I'm not sure why you keep repeating this given it's 5th best on this team currently ranked 20th in scoring offense. I think it's also disingenuous to call this the worst situation of any starting QB in the NFL this year. It feels like painting with a broad brush to, once again, excuse Love's play. You've got **** situations all over the league, the Pats, Arizona, Pittsburgh, and the Giants are all teams with trash situations. What makes those situations any better than Love's?

Sure, top 5 on this team isn't great, but Herman still has him with a positive grade on the season and again I'll repeat I don't think Love has been good, I just don't think he's been outright awful or that we should be writing him off at all.

His situation is among the worst because of how young the offense is. He has zero veteran pass catchers, his star RB has missed more time than he's played, and his star LT played one game and then got hurt for the season. Taking QB out of the picture I'm not sure there are more than 1 or 2 spots in the NFL that have a worse situation for a QB.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#417 » by MVP2110 » Mon Oct 23, 2023 5:57 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=BXF92fkEd5KAROjbDDthFQ&s=19

Love this video. MLF calls a great play here that should be a big gain. Unfortunately Runyan misses his block and it goes for 4 yards instead of double digits
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#418 » by MVP2110 » Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:01 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=Rmtgmp-tH5eE0Kf_UrJAIg&s=19

Read on Twitter
?t=oUIpCnA-orbj8TNjllZsuw&s=19

Read on Twitter
?t=bGZxLW7rc2HdKwxp-7yUGA&s=19

Just yikes
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 15,377

Post#419 » by RiotPunch » Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:02 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?t=BXF92fkEd5KAROjbDDthFQ&s=19

Love this video. MLF calls a great play here that should be a big gain. Unfortunately Runyan misses his block and it goes for 4 yards instead of double digits

Wow, what an atrocious block attempt. :lol:
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
PintSizedBox10
Head Coach
And1: 3,234

Post#420 » by PintSizedBox10 » Mon Oct 23, 2023 6:05 pm

Be nice if our highly paid DT made a play like that yesterday!

Return to Green Bay Packers