ImageImage

Game 3: Packers at Buccaneers - 3:25 - FOX

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

skones
RealGM
And1: 17,266

Re: Game 3: Packers at Buccaneers - 3:25 - FOX 

Post#521 » by skones » Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:31 am

8 yard cushions are not "normal" when a team is sitting on the 18 yard line on 2nd and 6 during a do or die drive. To insist they are is pretty ridiculous.
thomchatt3rton
Head Coach
And1: 2,235

Post#522 » by thomchatt3rton » Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:32 am

skones wrote:
PintSizedBox10 wrote:The offense can't do **** when the running game isn't working. A MLF staple

Sent from my SM-G981U using RealGM mobile app

The MLF staple is not being able to adjust. How many times have we seen these scripted early drives cut through butter like a hot knife only to stall the rest of the way? He has no answers past his original gameplan.

I wonder how much of that is Rodgers and his natural conservatism- he doesn’t like playing risky, he does his thing and if it works, he looks great, if it doesn’t, the O hits a brick wall.

Because that trend of not adjusting/not solving certain defenses stretches back to MM.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
LikeABosh
RealGM
And1: 8,639

Post#523 » by LikeABosh » Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:46 am

thomchatt3rton wrote:
skones wrote:
PintSizedBox10 wrote:The offense can't do **** when the running game isn't working. A MLF staple

The MLF staple is not being able to adjust. How many times have we seen these scripted early drives cut through butter like a hot knife only to stall the rest of the way? He has no answers past his original gameplan.

I wonder how much of that is Rodgers and his natural conservatism- he doesn’t like playing risky, he does his thing and if it works, he looks great, if it doesn’t, the O hits a brick wall.

Because that trend of not adjusting/not solving certain defenses stretches back to MM.

I'd like to eventually see MLF with a different QB. Rodgers is the last common denominator from that MM era so if we keep seeing these problems it makes you wonder.

Of course, I don't think we'll get a QB as good as Rodgers for awhile so I'm in no rush
MoreTrife
Head Coach
And1: 2,387

Post#524 » by MoreTrife » Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:48 am

Yeah, MLF and Rodgers have got to figure out that Cover 2 shell. It's especially potent against the Packers if the opposing defense is also stopping the run. As Greg Olsen pointed out, Bowles blitzed and we torched them the first few drives but when they went into that shell we basically scratched yards out. Typically how it happens and Rodgers does not play well against it.
Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,752

Post#525 » by Treebeard » Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:50 am

Didn't get to see or listen to the game. How did Bahktiari do?
neiLz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,487

Post#526 » by neiLz » Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:52 am

Treebeard wrote:Didn't get to see or listen to the game. How did Bahktiari do?

He pwned
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,266

Post#527 » by skones » Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:52 am

thomchatt3rton wrote:
skones wrote:

It comes down to the gameplan for the Kansas City game last year for me. MLF did absolutely nothing to help his first round pick making his first NFL start. That's just a bonkers thing to do. Like, hello? It's the most obvious thing. Instead there was an overreliance on Love just trying to make plays out of nothing which he couldn't do. I think MLF is a good people manager and has everyone on the same page, believing, unified in goal, but from a football standpoint? Eh. He's not bad, but he doesn't have the creativity that the best of the best have. He needs to sit down and have a look at the tape. Rodgers makes him look better than he is.

Winning is great. That doesn't mean we can't acknowledge that a lot of games look very formulaic against good ball clubs and we come out with the short end of the stick. Wouldn't say red flags in this one pulling out the W, but quite a few yellow.
Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,752

Post#528 » by Treebeard » Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:05 am

skones wrote:
thomchatt3rton wrote:
skones wrote:

It comes down to the gameplan for the Kansas City game last year for me. MLF did absolutely nothing to help his first round pick making his first NFL start. That's just a bonkers thing to do. Like, hello? It's the most obvious thing. Instead there was an overreliance on Love just trying to make plays out of nothing which he couldn't do. I think MLF is a good people manager and has everyone on the same page, believing, unified in goal, but from a football standpoint? Eh. He's not bad, but he doesn't have the creativity that the best of the best have. He needs to sit down and have a look at the tape. Rodgers makes him look better than he is.

Winning is great. That doesn't mean we can't acknowledge that a lot of games look very formulaic against good ball clubs and we come out with the short end of the stick. Wouldn't say red flags in this one pulling out the W, but quite a few yellow.

Honest question: how much/how little does Hackett and Getsy being gone impact the play call? I know Rogers has Clements as a god, but how much of a learning curve is Stenavich going through?
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,248

Post#529 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Sep 26, 2022 1:14 am

Treebeard wrote:Didn't get to see or listen to the game. How did Bahktiari do?

He seemed to do well. He played every other series
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
PintSizedBox10
Head Coach
And1: 3,240

Post#530 » by PintSizedBox10 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:06 am

I know the Bears and Bucs offenses both suck but it's still nice to shut down the teams you're supposed to shut down.

sdn40
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,418

Post#531 » by sdn40 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:34 am

thomchatt3rton wrote:
skones wrote:

Rodgers threw the wr screens perfectly. Problem is, they shouldn't have been called against that defense. Rodgers made perfect pitches and handoffs on the outside runs. Problem is, they shouldn't have been called against that defense. Rodgers had a perfect 5 step drop. Problem is, the wr's ran into each other. Rodgers didn't fumble on the 3 yard line. Jones did. Rodgers didn't run into the kicker and lose 40 yards of field position. 24 points would have looked a lot better than 14.

MLF apparently doesn't like stretching the field. Tampa was jumping everything when they realized most plays are within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage. That's on MLF, not Rodgers. I would love to see a breakdown of shotgun vs non shotgun plays and runs. The shotgun invites the defense to come hard and play the run on the way to the qb. Have no clue why they don't stay under center.

I know it's handy to have just one guy to blame for ruining your Sunday, but try to be smarter than that
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,450

Post#532 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:49 am

sdn40 wrote:
thomchatt3rton wrote:
skones wrote:

Rodgers threw the wr screens perfectly. Problem is, they shouldn't have been called against that defense. Rodgers made perfect pitches and handoffs on the outside runs. Problem is, they shouldn't have been called against that defense. Rodgers had a perfect 5 step drop. Problem is, the wr's ran into each other. Rodgers didn't fumble on the 3 yard line. Jones did. Rodgers didn't run into the kicker and lose 40 yards of field position. 24 points would have looked a lot better than 14.

MLF apparently doesn't like stretching the field. Tampa was jumping everything when they realized most plays are within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage. That's on MLF, not Rodgers. I would love to see a breakdown of shotgun vs non shotgun plays and runs. The shotgun invites the defense to come hard and play the run on the way to the qb. Have no clue why they don't stay under center.

I know it's handy to have just one guy to blame for ruining your Sunday, but try to be smarter than that

Wild that you know which plays Rodgers called and which ones MLF called.
MVP2110
Head Coach
And1: 3,137

Post#533 » by MVP2110 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 2:53 am

MVP2110 wrote:Tampa has one of the best run defenses in the NFL, and are also good at stopping underneath routes and check downs. Unfortunately on top of this we are missing our 2 best deep threats, I expect our offense to struggle a ton in this one. If we pull it out it'll need to be something like 13-10

I see alot of people complaining about our offense, to me it was super predictable that we would struggle. We had no legit deep threats so Tampa could be super aggressive playing the run and underneath routes. Honestly I'm stunned by how bad Tampa's initial defensive gameplan was and I'm glad we took advantage of it. I'm happy in a game where our offense predictably struggled that our defense was able to carry us to a W.
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
sdn40
Assistant Coach

Post#534 » by sdn40 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:39 am

ReasonablySober wrote:
sdn40 wrote:
thomchatt3rton wrote:I wonder how much of that is Rodgers and his natural conservatism- he doesn’t like playing risky, he does his thing and if it works, he looks great, if it doesn’t, the O hits a brick wall.

Not wild at all. MLF calls all the plays. Hence the headset and microphone for MLF and the speaker for Rodgers
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,450

Post#535 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:43 am

sdn40 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
sdn40 wrote:

Not wild at all. MLF calls all the plays. Hence the headset

Try to be smarter than that.
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,206

Post#536 » by RRyder823 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:48 am

sdn40 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
sdn40 wrote:

Not wild at all. MLF calls all the plays. Hence the headset and microphone for MLF and the speaker for Rodgers
Yeah its not like Rodgers has been known to change the plays in the huddle.........

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app
sdn40
Assistant Coach

Post#537 » by sdn40 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:52 am

ReasonablySober wrote:
sdn40 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

Not wild at all. MLF calls all the plays. Hence the headset

Try to be smarter than that.

It's not rocket science. It's been brought up a million times by both guys. Not sure what your issue is. MLF even mentioned it in his press conference. He was too busy getting plays ready for overtime to stress too much during the Bucs last drive.
sdn40
Assistant Coach

Post#538 » by sdn40 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:57 am

RRyder823 wrote:
sdn40 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

Yeah its not like Rodgers has been known to change the plays in the huddle.........

Yes, He even changed the play today and told Jones to fumble on the 3 yard line. You're wicked smart !!!
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,206

Post#539 » by RRyder823 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:03 am

sdn40 wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:
sdn40 wrote:

Yes, He even changed the play today and told Jones to fumble on the 3 yard line. You're wicked smart !!!
Yep never changed a play in the huddle in his life

sdn40
Assistant Coach

Post#540 » by sdn40 » Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:06 am

RRyder823 wrote:
sdn40 wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:Yeah its not like Rodgers has been known to change the plays in the huddle.........

Yep never changed a play in the huddle in his life

LMAO. Hey man, if it makes it easier to sleep at night to blame Rodgers for everything, go right ahead. Your loss, not mine

Return to Green Bay Packers