Chryst Out. Leonhard interim

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,911

Re: Chryst Out. Leonhard interim 

Post#61 » by coolhandluke121 » Mon Oct 3, 2022 4:01 pm

skones wrote:
Lol, you're the one making it a pissing match. Like, read your last post, it's so far beyond necessary it's comical. When considering the fan base at large and expectations that go along with it, nobody gives a rats ass about SRS. Just like no one cares how bad it was during the 80s because again, expectations have shifted. I'm not ignoring #facts, trumpet that all you want.

All anyone needs to do is take a peek at what Illinois has done in the last 20 years and look at the score from Saturday to realize things aren't right, but keep sipping that coffee in the burning room insisting it's no worse and stay angry.

Except I said things are not right and that he deserved to be fired in my very first post, but you don't even bother to read posts before you start disagreeing for the sake of starting yet another pissing match.

And WTF is talking about the 80's? Way to move the goalposts because you can't refute a single point from my post. SRS does matter because it takes into account strength of schedule and margins that were basically toss-ups against equally matched teams, something people who look back at the Alvarez era with rose-colored glasses refuse to acknowledge.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
coolhandluke121
RealGM

Post#62 » by coolhandluke121 » Mon Oct 3, 2022 4:09 pm

BUCKnation wrote:Chryst has been great, no doubt, but the last few years have been pretty awful (outside of discovering Braelon Allen last year to salvage that season) and there didn't seem to be many signs of improvement. We look so bad right now that missing out on a bowl game seems very real.

Exactly. There's some sort of lurking dysfunction, and the way the team quit on Saturday was alarming. But after a few years, there's no way in hell Chryst will be remembered as anything but a good coach by reasonable people, and I can all but guarantee that people who made this decision don't internally view him as a bad coach either. Maybe the way Rudolph left was a sign of some dysfunction, maybe Chryst's heart is(consciously or unconsciously) wanted out, whatever. They couldn't take the risk of letting this metastasize and I support the firing, although I probably would have waited just to avoid throwing Leonhard in a hopeless situation. But this is still just a blip on the radar in the grand scheme of things, just like we saw with Bielema and Alvarez having a share of mediocre seasons that was roughly equal to Chryst's share, if not higher.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,266

Post#63 » by skones » Mon Oct 3, 2022 4:21 pm

coolhandluke121 wrote:
Except I said things are not right and that he deserved to be fired in my very first post, but you don't even bother to read posts before you start disagreeing for the sake of starting yet another pissing match.

And WTF is talking about the 80's? Way to move the goalposts because you can't refute a single point from my post. SRS does matter because it takes into account strength of schedule and margins that were basically toss-ups against equally matched teams, something people who look back at the Alvarez era with rose-colored glasses refuse to acknowledge.

THIS:

I don't really buy the narrative that the program is in any more trouble than it's ever been, or that it's been any worse under Chryst overall than it was under anyone else.

I challenged one point you made and you threw a hissy fit with tangent after tangent, while nonsensically denying a dramatic shift in expectations now vs. what they were when Alvarez was was at the helm, but go off I guess.

And again, let me be clear, people DO NOT CARE about SRS. I know what it is, I know it's purpose, and your explaining that does not change that people, the fan base, the donors, the ones exerting the public pressure, don't care. I'm sure you can get a custom plaque with 2017's SRS Championship made somewhere tho.
msiris
RealGM
And1: 1,775

Post#64 » by msiris » Mon Oct 3, 2022 4:47 pm

Now its time too fire the QB,
Ride the tank
coolhandluke121
RealGM

Post#65 » by coolhandluke121 » Mon Oct 3, 2022 4:56 pm

skones wrote:
THIS:

I don't really buy the narrative that the program is in any more trouble than it's ever been, or that it's been any worse under Chryst overall than it was under anyone else.

Right, the only part of my post you actually read, while ignoring the rest where I said they've been mediocre for a few years with no signs of righting the ship, among other things. That just means Chryst is not the person to lead the program going forward; it doesn't mean there's some sort of existential crisis for the program and doesn't mean they're any worse off than they were in the early 2000s or in a few of Bielema's early seasons. Chryst's overall body of work, when evaluated with the perspective the coming years will eventually provide, will not be viewed as being inferior to Alvarez or Bielema in any way, and he might even be viewed a little better.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,232

Post#66 » by midranger » Mon Oct 3, 2022 6:45 pm

coolhandluke121 wrote:Chryst's overall body of work, when evaluated with the perspective the coming years will eventually provide, will not be viewed as being inferior to Alvarez or Bielema in any way, and he might even be viewed a little better.

I won’t comment on the rest of the quarrel you two are in, but I full heartedly disagree with the above.

Both Alvarez and Bielema left program in a better position than they found it after getting to 3 rose bowls each.

The same cannot be said of Chryst. He’s left it in a worse position than he found it.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
coolhandluke121
RealGM

Post#67 » by coolhandluke121 » Mon Oct 3, 2022 7:21 pm

midranger wrote:
coolhandluke121 wrote:Chryst's overall body of work, when evaluated with the perspective the coming years will eventually provide, will not be viewed as being inferior to Alvarez or Bielema in any way, and he might even be viewed a little better.

I won’t comment on the rest of the quarrel you two are in, but I full heartedly disagree with the above.

Both Alvarez and Bielema left program in a better position than they found it after getting to 3 rose bowls each.

The same cannot be said of Chryst. He’s left it in a worse position than he found it.

But that's exactly my point. His overall body of work is being evaluated under excessive recency bias. I'm also not AT ALL convinced that there's actually anything wrong with the program. Alvarez was given time to work through seasons like this, and Chryst was not because expectations are higher. That's fine, but anybody who knows what they're doing will have us right back to 9-3 being a bit of a disappointment in a couple years.

Also, people who have complained about Chryst being too conservative in play-calling may be right, but I don't understand those same people given Alvarez a pass for what was much more conservative even by Chryst's lofty standards.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,266

Post#68 » by skones » Mon Oct 3, 2022 7:35 pm

coolhandluke121 wrote:
They were on an upward trajectory under Alvarez too, until they weren't several times. The bar was just as high during the Dayne years. I disagree with the premise.

coolhandluke121 wrote:Alvarez was given time to work through seasons like this, and Chryst was not because expectations are higher.

Absolutely hilarious. I can't. You just threw a temper tantrum while disagreeing with the premise while going on to say you agree with it when responding to a different poster. Special stuff.
coolhandluke121
RealGM

Post#69 » by coolhandluke121 » Mon Oct 3, 2022 8:53 pm

skones wrote:
coolhandluke121 wrote:
They were on an upward trajectory under Alvarez too, until they weren't several times. The bar was just as high during the Dayne years. I disagree with the premise.

coolhandluke121 wrote:Alvarez was given time to work through seasons like this, and Chryst was not because expectations are higher.

Absolutely hilarious. I can't. You just threw a temper tantrum while disagreeing with the premise while going on to say you agree with it when responding to a different poster. Special stuff.

That's what pisses me off, we basically were in agreement but you didn't even read my whole post before starting an argument when we weren't even disagreeing. You do that all the time. The premise I disagreed with is evaluating Chryst's overall body of work against expectations that he himself should get a lot of credit for establishing when Alvarez and Bielema get a pass for similar overall results. I wasn't arguing against firing him; I'm just arguing for a more balanced perspective on his tenure, as opposed to the blatant recency bias we're seeing.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,248

Post#70 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Oct 3, 2022 9:02 pm

Can you guys agree to disagree?
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,248

Post#71 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Oct 3, 2022 10:41 pm

Read on Twitter
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,450

Post#72 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Oct 3, 2022 11:12 pm

I don't really understand PC agreeing to that, but :dontknow:
midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,232

Post#73 » by midranger » Mon Oct 3, 2022 11:30 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:I don't really understand PC agreeing to that, but :dontknow:

My guess is this was somewhat mutual.

Chryst doesn’t have the personality to sit through the tough press conferences would have been coming up as his seat starts glowing white, knowing this result is inevitable anyway.

Additionally, he may have had some self reflective moment that he just doesn’t have answers for college football coaching and decided he didn’t need to stick it to his alma mater.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
TroyD92
RealGM
And1: 10,856

Post#74 » by TroyD92 » Tue Oct 4, 2022 12:04 am

Considering its college he's probably getting a little something under the table too lol
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

Kidd would have curb stomped him.

Maybe if his name was Denise instead of Dennis.

Fotis St wrote:Wherever you are David, I love you man.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,838

Post#75 » by MikeIsGood » Tue Oct 4, 2022 1:10 am

Yup, I think both of you are correct honestly.
TroyD92
RealGM
And1: 10,856

Post#76 » by TroyD92 » Tue Oct 4, 2022 1:28 am

MikeIsGood wrote:Yup, I think both of you are correct honestly.

Don't say that to Wisconsin fans though they think they are above those things lol
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

Kidd would have curb stomped him.

Maybe if his name was Denise instead of Dennis.

Fotis St wrote:Wherever you are David, I love you man.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,412

Post#77 » by M-C-G » Tue Oct 4, 2022 1:30 am

MickeyDavis wrote:Can you guys agree to disagree?

I’ll distract them, so Jabari Parker should be in the Bucks hall of fame.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,191
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#78 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Oct 4, 2022 2:45 am

midranger wrote:

I’ll further split the argument and say I generally agree with you, but Bielema left them with a 7-5 Rose Bowl team and Phillips/Stave.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,191
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#79 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Oct 4, 2022 2:49 am

ReasonablySober wrote:I don't really understand PC agreeing to that, but :dontknow:

Some speculation I saw is that these buyouts usually are paid over a few years and if you get a new job, that salary subtracts from your buyout. And you have to try to get a job. That’s why Bielema was an NFL waterboy for a few years, essentially while milking Arkansas’ buyout.

So he may have agreed to take a smaller lump sum and UW waives any further restrictions/future cuts into the buyout.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,445

Post#80 » by trwi7 » Tue Oct 4, 2022 3:19 am

Kerb Hohl wrote:
midranger wrote:

I’ll further split the argument and say I generally agree with you, but Bielema left them with a 7-5 Rose Bowl team and Phillips/Stave.

8-5 but there was enough talent on the roster to immediately go 9-4 the following year (including the BS loss to Arizona State) and hanging with Ohio State in Columbus and go 11-3 the next year (where Andersen blew the game against LSU) granted we got **** steamrolled by Ohio State and there was enough talent for a top 20 finish in Chryst's first year and top 10 finishes in years 2 and 3.

We didn't really realize it at the time but things kind of started going downhill in Chryst's 4th year.

25 point loss to Michigan
14 point loss to Northwestern
12 point loss to Penn State
22 point loss to Minnesota
And a home loss to a 7-6 BYU team

Last year blown out by Notre Dame and Michigan and a double digit loss to Minnesota.

And this year the only teams we've been able to beat are FCS teams and the worst of the FBS.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.

Return to Green Bay Packers