ImageImage

2024 NFL Draft - five picks in the first three rounds (seven in four! [probably])

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

PintSizedBox10
Head Coach
And1: 3,234

Re: 2024 NFL Draft - Two second round picks 

Post#61 » by PintSizedBox10 » Fri Oct 13, 2023 7:46 pm

I can't see us tanking, and/or drafting a QB high next year.

Plus, would we want the current brain trust to select another QB? I doubt it
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,266

Post#62 » by skones » Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:48 pm

PintSizedBox10 wrote:I can't see us tanking, and/or drafting a QB high next year.

Plus, would we want the current brain trust to select another QB? I doubt it

WE wouldn't, but I'm not sure we have a choice with Murphy running the org like a blockhead. They should all lose their jobs.
stillgotgame
Analyst
And1: 1,977

Post#63 » by stillgotgame » Fri Oct 13, 2023 9:48 pm

Zero chance Gute tanks. None.

Gute and MLF inherited premium players at 4 positions on offense. Last week was there first game w/o all 4. Needless to say it didn't go well. Love looked lost, Dillon is a snail, line is clueless whenever they face a stunt and the receivers are just way too green.

But it takes time. Guys need to develop, grow. I think they get this year and next to show. Adding Bowers or Harrison Jr would sure help. And a fast running back, please.
Read on Twitter
?s=20
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,295

Post#64 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:34 pm

No one knows what Gute is going to do if the Packers are clearly out of it by the 31st. He hasn't been in that position yet.

Besides, there is a Manning level prize at the end of the season. There's never tanking in the NFL, and you're gonna see it this December. Williams is the kind of prospect that saves jobs and changes franchises for ten years.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,133

Post#65 » by MVP2110 » Fri Oct 13, 2023 11:41 pm

As stated we've never seen Gute or MLF in this situation before and I'm willing to wait and see how they handle it. When Gute & MLF came on board they immediately built this team up from being mediocre to a true contender and ran with that squad as long as they could. That window closed and now they are in the process of building for the next window
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
Mtsportsfan
Rookie
And1: 371

Post#66 » by Mtsportsfan » Sat Oct 14, 2023 12:59 am

ReasonablySober wrote:No one knows what Gute is going to do if the Packers are clearly out of it by the 31st. He hasn't been in that position yet.

Besides, there is a Manning level prize at the end of the season. There's never tanking in the NFL, and you're gonna see it this December. Williams is the kind of prospect that saves jobs and changes franchises for ten years.

Might be true about Williams , but don't they say that about every top QB coming out of the draft , kinda reminds me of every OSU QB , plays with teams that have so much more talent in college , gets drafted by a pro team that generally stinks and there really not that great and struggle ! Not that I would pass on him if available .
Mtsportsfan
Rookie
And1: 371

Post#67 » by Mtsportsfan » Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:05 am

MVP2110 wrote:As stated we've never seen Gute or MLF in this situation before and I'm willing to wait and see how they handle it. When Gute & MLF came on board they immediately built this team up from being mediocre to a true contender and ran with that squad as long as they could. That window closed and now they are in the process of building for the next window

I don't know , Gutey and Mlf built what they have off of Rodgers back. It was never really mediocre , except when Rodgers was hurt . Gutey has drafted fairly good , but still hasn't drafted well enough for a top defense and he's tried ! All of Lefleur's success is all Rodgers !
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#68 » by MVP2110 » Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:07 am

Mtsportsfan wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:As stated we've never seen Gute or MLF in this situation before and I'm willing to wait and see how they handle it. When Gute & MLF came on board they immediately built this team up from being mediocre to a true contender and ran with that squad as long as they could. That window closed and now they are in the process of building for the next window

I don't know , Gutey and Mlf built what they have off of Rodgers back. It was never really mediocre , except when Rodgers was hurt . Gutey has drafted fairly good , but still hasn't drafted well enough for a top defense and he's tried ! All of Lefleur's success is all Rodgers !

If you look at Rodgers before MLF and after it's a massive improvement. We have no idea what MLF is without Rodgers and tbh we probably won't know this year considering he has the youngest offense in the NFL.
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#69 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Oct 14, 2023 1:20 am

Mtsportsfan wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:No one knows what Gute is going to do if the Packers are clearly out of it by the 31st. He hasn't been in that position yet.

Might be true about Williams , but don't they say that about every top QB coming out of the draft , kinda reminds me of every OSU QB , plays with teams that have so much more talent in college , gets drafted by a pro team that generally stinks and there really not that great and struggle ! Not that I would pass on him if available .

Lawrence and Luck got some of this before their drafts. The difference is they were never the complete thrower AND running threat.

There aren't many holes in Caleb's game. He's also fun as hell to watch.

It's not my job, but if I were running a team I'd be doing everything possible to increase my shot for him. Arizona and Chicago are already trying.
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Post#70 » by MoMM » Sat Oct 14, 2023 9:56 am

If we somehow get the #1 pick, we should just draft Caleb and run.

We would have a QB with higher upside than Love and locked for lots of years in a rookie contract.

Even if Love plays well, we could even pick Love's option and trade him for a mid-round pick, him+2nd for a 1st, or whatever.
stillgotgame
Analyst

Post#71 » by stillgotgame » Sat Oct 14, 2023 4:34 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
Mtsportsfan wrote:

If you look at Rodgers before MLF and after it's a massive improvement. We have no idea what MLF is without Rodgers and tbh we probably won't know this year considering he has the youngest offense in the NFL.

Please tell me when Rodgers was better under MLF than he was in the 2016 playoffs under Fat Mac?

We were 7th in DVOA on offense in 2018 despite McCarthy's incompetence. Pieces were there we just need a new driver.
A simple change going from shot gun all the time to under center/play action is really all I see MLF did.

Read on Twitter
?s=20
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#72 » by MVP2110 » Sat Oct 14, 2023 4:52 pm

stillgotgame wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:
Mtsportsfan wrote:

Please tell me when Rodgers was better under MLF than he was in the 2016 playoffs under Fat Mac?

We were 7th in DVOA on offense in 2018 despite McCarthy's incompetence. Pieces were there we just need a new driver.
A simple change going from shot gun all the time to under center/play action is really all I see MLF did.

It's weird to cherry pick a single playoff run out of several as evidence. Our offensive metrics under MLF took a significant step up from where they were under McCarthy in the years preceding. Rodgers specifically reignited his career and had some of the best seasons of his career despite fans saying we didn't surround him with enough talent.
stillgotgame
Analyst

Post#73 » by stillgotgame » Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:01 am

MVP2110 wrote:
stillgotgame wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:

It's weird to cherry pick a single playoff run out of several as evidence. Our offensive metrics under MLF took a significant step up from where they were under McCarthy in the years preceding. Rodgers specifically reignited his career and had some of the best seasons of his career despite fans saying we didn't surround him with enough talent.

7th in DVOA on offense in 2018 is cherry picking?
Rodgers was hurt most of 2017. Before that he was dominant with a piss poor offensive scheme. Situation was tailor made for MLF to succeed.

What has he done without Rodgers? Nothing. But now he has his chance, and he should get a couple years - at least - to show something. This is basically a new team.

Read on Twitter
?s=20
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#74 » by ReasonablySober » Sun Oct 15, 2023 2:28 am

Watching Tez Walker destroy Miami. Gonna be an insane draft if you want a QB, WR, or OT.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#75 » by MVP2110 » Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:10 am

stillgotgame wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:
stillgotgame wrote:

7th in DVOA on offense in 2018 is cherry picking?
Rodgers was hurt most of 2017. Before that he was dominant with a piss poor offensive scheme. Situation was tailor made for MLF to succeed.

What has he done without Rodgers? Nothing. But now he has his chance, and he should get a couple years - at least - to show something. This is basically a new team.

MLF got Rodgers to play the best ball of his career, Win 13 games 3 straight seasons and then retool. I'm perfectly happy with what MLF has done to this point in his career
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Post#76 » by MoMM » Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:37 am

Being outcoached during our playoff runs doesn't make me happy, just pissed.
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,725

Post#77 » by JayMKE » Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:38 am

If a potentially better QB is there you take them, wasn't that the whole logic of taking Love in the first place? If he's not the guy then move on ASAP.
FREE GIANNIS
stillgotgame
Analyst

Post#78 » by stillgotgame » Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:53 pm

MoMM wrote:If we somehow get the #1 pick, we should just draft Caleb and run.

We would have a QB with higher upside than Love and locked for lots of years in a rookie contract.

Even if Love plays well, we could even pick Love's option and trade him for a mid-round pick, him+2nd for a 1st, or whatever.

Caleb with a bad offensive line = Love with a bad offensive line.
He looked completely lost under pressure last night, just chucking the ball into double coverage. He was that way the first half against Arizona last week also.
Caleb is a product of his system. Lincoln Riley is a college offensive guru. Teams are figuring them out though.

Read on Twitter
?s=20
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,643

Post#79 » by Profound23 » Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:09 pm

stillgotgame wrote:

He looked completely lost under pressure last night, just chucking the ball into double coverage. He was that way the first half against Arizona last week also.
Caleb is a product of his system. Lincoln Riley is a college offensive guru. Teams are figuring them out though.

Great, so (if you are lucky enough to be in that situation) you draft Caleb and trade Love for a 2nd or 3rd, then draft oline and you get to have your QB on a rookie deal for four years so you can sign top free agents without stressing about the cap.

Also, that was one game. I have watched every USC game this year and even when Caleb has pressure on him he gets off great passes.
stillgotgame
Analyst

Post#80 » by stillgotgame » Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:44 pm

Profound23 wrote:
stillgotgame wrote:

Great, so (if you are lucky enough to be in that situation) you draft Caleb and trade Love for a 2nd or 3rd, then draft oline and you get to have your QB on a rookie deal for four years so you can sign top free agents without stressing about the cap.

Also, that was one game. I have watched every USC game this year and even when Caleb has pressure on him he gets off great passes.

Except it wasn’t one game. He stunk against Arizona in the first half. Neither Arizona nor Notre Dame are elite defenses either.
He’s a product of his system.

Read on Twitter
?s=20

Return to Green Bay Packers