ImageImage

2014 Fantasy Football Thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
And1: 1,417

2014 Fantasy Football Thread 

Post#1 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:13 pm

Figured we could get one of these going since everyone will be in full draft mode over the course of the next month.

I have to pick two keepers for one of my leagues, I am pretty sure I'm going to keep Alfred Morris and Doug Martin, but I figured I'd get your opinions before I lock it in. I'm a little nervous about how Martin bounces back after an absolutely horrible year.

This is a PPR league...

Player - Pick I'd Give Up To Keep
Morris - 11th round pick
Martin - 6th round pick
A. Johnson - 1st round pick
Decker - 5th round pick
Tate - 8th round pick (maybe keep Tate over Martin since he's a starter in Cleveland now?)
Roethlisberger - 11th round pick

I'd also be interested in hearing who some of you guys like as sleepers this year.
BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Calvin Johnson is horrible and not a top WR.
zmanishere11
Sixth Man
And1: 242

Re: 2014 Fantasy Football Thread 

Post#2 » by zmanishere11 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:49 am

You keep Morris and Martin all day.

Who do you all like as sleepers this year?

I think Toby Gerhart has a huge year - young MJD type numbers, lower receptions but higher TD's.

Love Andre Ellington too as a guy who gets drafted right along with McCoy / Charles at the top of every draft after this year.

A lot of guys coming off injuries from last year too, specifically Maclin, Harvin, and Crabtree.

Lots of RC RB's in good situations to watch too (West in CLE, Sankey in TEN, Freeman in ATL, amongst others).
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM

Post#3 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:39 pm

I thought Matthew Berry's 100 Fantasy Football Facts was a good read, especially if you haven't yet started reading up on fantasy football stuff this year.

http://espn.go.com/fantasy/football/sto ... -preseason
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,371

Post#4 » by M-C-G » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:19 pm

PkrsBcksGphsMqt wrote:Figured we could get one of these going since everyone will be in full draft mode over the course of the next month.

I have to pick two keepers for one of my leagues, I am pretty sure I'm going to keep Alfred Morris and Doug Martin, but I figured I'd get your opinions before I lock it in. I'm a little nervous about how Martin bounces back after an absolutely horrible year.

This is a PPR league...

Player - Pick I'd Give Up To Keep
Morris - 11th round pick
Martin - 6th round pick
A. Johnson - 1st round pick
Decker - 5th round pick
Tate - 8th round pick (maybe keep Tate over Martin since he's a starter in Cleveland now?)
Roethlisberger - 11th round pick

I'd also be interested in hearing who some of you guys like as sleepers this year.

Yeah, would have to agree with Morris and Martin, though I see a lot of risk with both players this year. I think Helu is going to get more of the Gio Bernard role, while Morris will be the Ben Jarvis...That isn't to say he can't have a big year, but I would make sure to handcuff.

As for Martin, he was badly outperformed by Mike James last year, and everything I have read about Charlie Sims makes it sounds like he is destined to take the third down back role sooner or later.

All that being said, watch it closely, or maybe consider selling high now, before the new systems and personnel have a chance to catch up with their output.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,371

Post#5 » by M-C-G » Tue Aug 12, 2014 4:31 pm

zmanishere11 wrote:You keep Morris and Martin all day.

Who do you all like as sleepers this year?

I think Toby Gerhart has a huge year - young MJD type numbers, lower receptions but higher TD's.

Love Andre Ellington too as a guy who gets drafted right along with McCoy / Charles at the top of every draft after this year.

A lot of guys coming off injuries from last year too, specifically Maclin, Harvin, and Crabtree.

Lots of RC RB's in good situations to watch too (West in CLE, Sankey in TEN, Freeman in ATL, amongst others).

Top Sleepers - or at least guys that seem underrated to me;

QB - RGIII & Stafford - I think both guys have the chance to put up top 5 stats, but go much later than the big 3 of Manning, Brees, Rodgers, who are all top 15 picks

RB - Lamar Miller, Shane Vereen, Khirys Robinson, Chris Polk, Kniles Davis - Pretty much all these guys have a chance to either breakout, or are one injury away from having the keys to the castle. Robinson is probably the exception as New Orleans has a crowded backfield, but I think they feature him more this year. They obviously don't want to invest in Mark Ingram who is in a contract year, and Robinson production was pretty good at the end of last year.

I think Miller and Vereen if healthy, will put up really nice PPR league stats this year. Vereen was really featured in the passing attack when he came back last year, and Miami's new up tempo offense fits Miller better than Moreno or Thomas.

WR - So many to like this year, but I have been targeting guys like Corradelle Patterson, Deandre Hopkins, Mike Wallace, Brandin Cooks in my mocks. I was hoping people would sleep on Patterson longer, but he has been the poster boy in pretty much every fantasy magazine. Hopkins I am going to watch closely, to see if Fitz locks in on him or Johnson. As a Wallace owner last year, you would think I was nuts, but I like to chase targets, and Wallace had a $hit-ton of them last year. At was amazing how many deep shots Tannehill missed, so if he can improve this year, Wallace could rebound nicely. I think Cooks gets the a good chunk of the 100+ targets that opened up by the loss of Sproles and Lance Moore.

TE - Rudolph, Jordan Reed. Norv Turner offensive scheme's mean big time TE production. Reed if he can stay healthy was quietly becoming RGIII go to receiver at the end of the year. I think he has great potential, assuming he gets the combined share of targets that Gresham and Effiert had last year in Grudens offense.

D - Packers, call it a homer pick :)
Rockmaninoff
General Manager
And1: 1,667

Post#6 » by Rockmaninoff » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:20 pm

Just a general question, but why is everybody so down on Knowshon Moreno? I get that it's supposedly RBBC in Miami, but I don't see why he won't eventually become the clear 'guy', just like last year.

Tannehill is no Payton Manning, but the bulk of Moreno's receptions and receiving yards were from check down passes that any decent QB can throw.
MilBucksBackOnTop06 wrote:The fight for civil rights just like for liberty and justice and peace won't be won by man. It will take a god...so lets move on to sports.

Magic Giannison wrote:Giannis is god but even god's cannot save our **** team.
neiLz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,480

Post#7 » by neiLz » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:47 pm

I think with Moreno is that he may have been a product of that system in denver. People are really high now on Monte Ball for that matter as well. I think with Moreno is he has an injury history and I wouldn't take him as a top back or high #2. Plus their line is not that well and they couldn't run the ball at all last year. He may get a TON of catches though, so for PPR leagues he may have some decent value.
Fort Minor
Lead Assistant
And1: 70

Post#8 » by Fort Minor » Fri Aug 15, 2014 8:51 pm

My keepers aren't looking great this year. I can keep either Ben Tate in the 8th, Jordan Cameron in the 10th, or (very unlikely) Justin Blackmon in the 14th. Tate has to be the pick over Cameron, right?
BuckPack wrote:People still listen to Gery?
gbmb34
Pro Prospect
And1: 80

Post#9 » by gbmb34 » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:23 pm

Fort Minor wrote:My keepers aren't looking great this year. I can keep either Ben Tate in the 8th, Jordan Cameron in the 10th, or (very unlikely) Justin Blackmon in the 14th. Tate has to be the pick over Cameron, right?

I'd definitely keep Cameron. Better value and allows you to basically take BPA at WR and RB with a QB sprinkled in there.
packerbreakdown.wordpress.com
th87
General Manager
And1: 9,553

Post#10 » by th87 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:56 am

Would you take Rodgers with a high second, or hold out for the RGIII/Kaepernick/Cutler tier?
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM

Post#11 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:31 pm

First draft is in the books for me. It was a 16 team (2-player) keeper league with standard scoring. I did almost no research going in so I had a few regrets, but I'm generally happy with the way it came out. Being able to keep Andre Ellington and Keenan Allen for only 13th and 14th round picks was huge. Here it is...

Drafted from the 13th slot
1.13: Dez Bryant
2.04: Giovani Bernard
3.13: Matt Ryan
4.04: Tony Romo
5.13: Reggie Wayne
6.04: Fred Jackson
7.13: Kyle Rudolph
8.04: Roy Helu
9.13: Marvin Jones
10.04: Ahmad Bradshaw
11.13: Matt Bryant
12.04: Buffalo D/ST
13.13: Andre Ellington (keeper)
14.04: Keenan Allen (keeper)

QB: Matt Ryan, Tony Romo
RB: Andre Ellington, Fred Jackson, Roy Helu
RB: Giovani Bernard, Ahmad Bradsahw
WR: Dez Bryant, Reggie Wayne
WR: Keenan Allen, Marvin Jones
TE: Kyle Rudolph
K: Matt Bryant
D/ST: Buffalo
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#12 » by Newz » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:33 pm

That team is pretty good in theory. I'm not a big fan of Dez or Wayne this year. I think Dez is an amazing player, but I just don't trust Romo to stay healthy for a whole season at this point... that guy is falling apart. Wayne is old and coming off of a major injury.

Could certainly work out though. Those guys have a track record of being studs. :D
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM

Post#13 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:36 pm

Matthew Berry really endorsed Wayne in one of the fantasy football podcasts I made time to listen to before the draft so that was a major reason for me taking him. Plus he's my #3 WR in a league that only starts 2 WRs. And if Romo can stay healthy I think he has a massive year, he's actually been pretty underrated as a fantasy QB over the years and their offense should be pretty good this year.
Newz
Banned User

Post#14 » by Newz » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:39 pm

PkrsBcksGphsMqt wrote:Matthew Berry really endorsed Wayne in one of the fantasy football podcasts I made time to listen to before the draft so that was a major reason for me taking him. Plus he's my #3 WR in a league that only starts 2 WRs. And if Romo can stay healthy I think he has a massive year, he's actually been pretty underrated as a fantasy QB over the years and their offense should be pretty good this year.

I like a healthy Romo over Ryan as your starter. That guy is typically a fantasy stud when he's healthy. I might start Ryan the first week or two (depending on matchups) just to make sure Romo isn't being impacted by his back though.

Also, Matthew Berry is poop. I am the real fantasy expert! (I have no idea who Matthew Berry is) :D
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM

Post#15 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:46 pm

Newz wrote:
PkrsBcksGphsMqt wrote:Matthew Berry really endorsed Wayne in one of the fantasy football podcasts I made time to listen to before the draft so that was a major reason for me taking him. Plus he's my #3 WR in a league that only starts 2 WRs. And if Romo can stay healthy I think he has a massive year, he's actually been pretty underrated as a fantasy QB over the years and their offense should be pretty good this year.

I like a healthy Romo over Ryan as your starter. That guy is typically a fantasy stud when he's healthy. I might start Ryan the first week or two (depending on matchups) just to make sure Romo isn't being impacted by his back though.

Also, Matthew Berry is poop. I am the real fantasy expert! (I have no idea who Matthew Berry is) :D

Ryan has really good weapons and has also been a little bit underrated as a fantasy QB. And the other thing I like about Romo/Dez is that their defense is going to be absolutely horrible, so they'll be in a lot of shoot outs. You definitely know who Matthew Berry is, he's ESPN's main fantasy analyst...

Newz
Banned User

Post#16 » by Newz » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:50 pm

That's the problem then, I don't watch ESPN. That dude is probably on TV for like 20 seconds at a time between the Manziel, Michael Sam, LeBron and Paul George coverage. ;)
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,172
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#17 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:40 pm

The NFC East, outside of the fact that it has to play the 4 NFC West teams, is a fantasy goldmine this year. No defense, all pace.
wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Post#18 » by wichmae » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:33 pm

As a sidebar to all who have played in the free RealGM league I've done for 8 seasons I wont be renewing it. I just have too much going on to commish a league so if someone else wants to run it Im all for it.
gbmb34
Pro Prospect
And1: 80

Post#19 » by gbmb34 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:53 pm

wichmae wrote:As a sidebar to all who have played in the free RealGM league I've done for 8 seasons I wont be renewing it. I just have too much going on to commish a league so if someone else wants to run it Im all for it.

I don't mind being commish if there is still interest from the board to continuing the league.
packerbreakdown.wordpress.com
neiLz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,480

Post#20 » by neiLz » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:16 pm

Just found out my main league is going from 12-14 teams. PPR format. Was doing mocks and after the first 5 or so RB's, there is a huge dropoff. Hoping to get a later 1st round pick so i can double up on elite WRS then come back for some lower Tier RBs... Lots of mocks have guys like spiller slipping into the 3rd/4th. Wouldn't mind that but its going to be interesting this year!

Return to Green Bay Packers