Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,419

Re: Training Camp Thread 

Post#181 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:07 pm

MM's presser today

On how much consideration given to moving Sitton to center.... Josh has always worked at center in the rotation. When you watch our QB/C exhcanges, we'll work up to five centers. Josh is a great player. We have the utmost faith in him if he had to move guard to center. Hell, I think he could play tackle for us. T.J. has done it in the past.

On DuJuan Harris as KR... DuJuan has done a good job. Obviously he needs to handle the ball cleaner all the time, and he’s working through that. He’s put a lot of extra time, getting extra kickoffs with the JUGS machine and things like that. I like the improved work ethic there, but he definitely, I think he has a chance to be impactful once he gets going. He’s a very instinctive runner, he’s strong, he’s powerful, he has the speed to finish. I like what he’s done so far.

On the QB reps... Quarterback rotation-wise, we’re kind of still working through that. I met with Alex Van Pelt last night and Tom and I talked about it again this morning, the biggest thing is I think Matt is 10 plays behind Scott, so trying to find a balance, how you balance that out. It’s just as best you can. How we’re going to do it, we have two plans and we’ll work through that probably tomorrow.

On if he'd go series by series... We wouldn’t do it series by series. I’m not a fan of every series. Playing quarterback is obviously a demanding position, you have to give the quarterbacks an opportunity to create rhythm and flow. So to the minimum I think they would play at least one quarter before you switch. I think you have to be smart about that. I’ve never been a fan of going every other series. I’ve been part of that in my past.

On if Rodgers won't play... Haven't made any decisions on who's playing, not playing.

On how many roster spots up for grabs... I can't. I don't want to, frankly. We have 63 opportunities that are available (including 10 on practice squad). For the men that are not here, there's an opportunity to work again in the future. We're going to make sure everyone gets an opportunity.

On Jayrone Elliott, surprised at all... I think Elliott’s a great example of a young man given an opportunity. Obviously, three sacks in six plays – that doesn’t happen every day. That just shows you his ability. I think he’s gradually improved throughout his time here. When he’s been given a chance, he’s stepped up. Obviously played a lot more this past week against Oakland and he’ll play more than he ever has against Kansas City --- both special teams and defense.

On Boykin... Jarrett Boykin, just clearly he’s taken the next step. I just love the way he plays. He’s physical, his toughness, he’s relentless. I think he’s exceptional at the top of his route. You see his strength and balance to separate from a DB. I think he’s had an excellent camp.

On how much ST ability factors into decision or if you teach ST later... No. 1, you want as many four-down players as possible. Obviously, the definition of a four-down player is someone who plays offense and defense on first, second and third down and plays special teams on fourth down. Yes, special teams is extremely important. It goes down to the first meeting that you have with your team. The first meeting in the rookie orientation, it’s probably the top three things you talk about. The vehicle onto our football team is through special teams. It definitely is a big factor in a lot of decisions.

On working with Ted in personnel... I don't know if I've ever met a coach who didn't think he was a good personnel guy. ...It's fun. I have really great respect for the process and structure in place, since Ron Wolf came here in '92. A lot of confidence in personnel department. Fun part of job. Ted is the ultimate in being patient, thorough. Deadline's at 3 o'clock, you'll probably hear from him at 2:59.

On if it ever got heated... No, I'm too old for that.

If you had, would you tell us... No

Process in keeping two or three QBs... It's like any position. Matt and Scott just aren't competing against each other. You have to keep your best players. They are competing against other positions.

On using the visual upstairs with players to teach... To me, when formulate a practice, the first thing you have to make a decision as a coach, what are you ultimately committed to. If you’re committed to the tempo of practice, then you have to let the video be the part of the correction. So, we’re obviously committed to tempo. We don’t run gassers after practice. We condition our football team of how fast we practice. So that’s why you probably don’t see a lot of the coaches jumping in there and making a correction on the field, everybody’s sitting there. We correct off the video. It’s a philosophical decision I think you have to make as a head coach.

On how much past performance plays into roster decisions... Your past experiences are part of every individual’s value. I think it’s like anything in life. I don’t think that’s going to be a determining factor. I think every individual that’s competing for a roster spot is building his value. We have to weigh that. Sometimes you don’t pick the 53 most talented players or the 53 most productive players. You’re looking to chart a path to a Super Bowl and you’re looking for the group you think best gives you that chance. The group dynamics is a big part of it, too.

I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
eagle13
Head Coach
And1: 107

Post#182 » by eagle13 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 11:12 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:MM's presser today

On Jayrone Elliott, surprised at all... I think Elliott’s a great example of a young man given an opportunity. Obviously, three sacks in six plays – that doesn’t happen every day. That just shows you his ability. I think he’s gradually improved throughout his time here. When he’s been given a chance, he’s stepped up. Obviously played a lot more this past week against Oakland and he’ll play more than he ever has against Kansas City --- both special teams and defense.

On how much ST ability factors into decision or if you teach ST later... No. 1, you want as many four-down players as possible. Obviously, the definition of a four-down player is someone who plays offense and defense on first, second and third down and plays special teams on fourth down. Yes, special teams is extremely important. It goes down to the first meeting that you have with your team. The first meeting in the rookie orientation, it’s probably the top three things you talk about. The vehicle onto our football team is through special teams. It definitely is a big factor in a lot of decisions.

Process in keeping two or three QBs... It's like any position. Matt and Scott just aren't competing against each other. You have to keep your best players. They are competing against other positions.

On how much past performance plays into roster decisions... Your past experiences are part of every individual’s value. I think it’s like anything in life. I don’t think that’s going to be a determining factor. I think every individual that’s competing for a roster spot is building his value. We have to weigh that. Sometimes you don’t pick the 53 most talented players or the 53 most productive players. You’re looking to chart a path to a Super Bowl and you’re looking for the group you think best gives you that chance. The group dynamics is a big part of it, too.

Explains how Hawk made the team all these years. he hasn't been talented or productive but he has been strategic in calling D I guess...

IF Pack carry 5 OLB Elliot and Mulumba may put Perry on the street. Question is Perry good enough to justify taking one of the final roster spots.

ST - does Perry play 1st team on any units? Which ones? If any must be return because you never hear of him making tackles in coverage.
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,778

Post#183 » by Ayt » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:08 am

Tell me the years Hawk was so bad he shouldn't have been on the team.
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,978

Post#184 » by Badgerlander » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:08 pm

Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
Badgerlander
RealGM
And1: 6,978

Post#185 » by Badgerlander » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:13 pm

AJ Hawk = modern day Brian Noble
Shoot, Move, and Communicate...

Spoiler:

I'm just here for my own amusement,"don't take offense at my innuendo..."

Countless waze, we pass the daze...

A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,331

Post#186 » by crkone » Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:22 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/PFF/status/504648322016362496[/tweet]

@PFF
Follow
#Packers CB Davon House leads with a +6.6 coverage grade this preseason. Targeted 12 times, 5 rec for 33 yards and 5 PDs

Code: Select all

o- - -  \o          __|
   o/   /|          vv`\
  /|     |              |
   |    / \_            |
  / \   |               |
 /  |                   |
Pick and TRoll
Sophomore
And1: 23
Location: Crawling to contention through 26 years of **** smelling foulness you can't even imagine.

Post#187 » by Pick and TRoll » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:51 pm

DocHoliday wrote:AJ Hawk = modern day Brian Noble

Bite your tongue! :x

Noble was possibly my favorite Packer growing up. Loved watching him when I was learning to be a Packer/football fan. Always felt bad for him having his career cut short by injury.

That said, no, I have no idea if he was really any good. :) I wasn't quite as critical/analytical back then. I'll just always have a soft spot for him.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,172
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#188 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:08 pm

DocHoliday wrote:Image

Zero evidence of Photoshop here.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,172
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#189 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:08 pm

HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,285

Post#190 » by HKPackFan » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:32 am

So what to make of this pretty kick butt preseason we had?

Of course, it's preseason. Defenses play vanilla, offenses don't use much of their playbook. Big plays are head going against scrubs...Ya ya ya ya..You don't win the SuperBowl in August...So now that we got that out of the way, and we've tempered the success we've had...How did you feel?

The offense looked sharp, the #1 offense was moving at a face pace. Everyone looked like they were on the same page for the most part. After the #1's the depth looked pretty good. Our #2's looked solid, some of them are going to get significant playing time and it looks well deserved. Even the bubble players had some big moments.

Our secondary depth across the board looked good. Our OLB Depth looked good. The RB depth looked good. Even the WR youth looks like there is a ton of up and coming potential. Tolzien looked solid, his last TD was a rocket through a small window. Flynn didn't have a great preseason, but he does turn it on a little better come game time. I think Tolzien is a keeper....Flynn is a safety blanket. Hopefully they spend the season holding clipboards.

My excitement for how well the preseason looked is somewhat cautiously optimistic. I did see a few areas of concern. I like Starks but I noticed last week, after lacy went out, we had 2 3 and outs. Not blaming starks, I think he had a drop or two and I think cobb had a drop or two. It made me realize the only bad thing about these fast hurry up offenses, is if you get stuffed on a run on first down, have a drop on second down and can't get a a 1st down on a 3rd and long situation....You do that a couple times and your offense could be on the field for only a few seconds and you then put a lot more pressure on the D. We can't afford drops or penalties on offense, if it runs as a precise unit, it's going to be very deadly.

On the defensive side, I"m still in a wait and see mode. I think we've definitely improved. The secondary is upgraded and Peppers is an upgrade and Perry and Mike Neal healthy helpful contributors....But can we stop the run??? That's still hard to say for me. It all starts up front. I don't know what to make of our Dline yet. If they can be average......I think we are OK. I'm still not impressed with the spot opposite Hawk. Hawk isn't great but I think he's OK. You don't need probowlers at every single position. In our LB 4 starters we have 2 studs, 1 decent OK guy, and I'm afraid 1 weak link in Jones. I'm not sold on him, nor his backups yet. Hopefully Sam Barrington improves or Lattimore. That's the area I'm worried about, covering TE's and that underneath stuff.

All in all I came away from preseason fairly impressed with the crispness of our offense, and the overall depth of talent on the team. It's game time! 7 days away!!!
#FreeChuckDiesel

Return to Green Bay Packers