ImageImage

OT: Wisconsin Badger Football 2014-2015

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,026

Re: OT: Wisconsin Badger Football 2014-2015 

Post#61 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:54 pm

Is he just a 3-star or is he now a 4-star? I thought he really bumped his game up?
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,899

Post#62 » by Turk Nowitzki » Wed Dec 24, 2014 12:07 am

ReasonablySober wrote:For as much as I've heard from this kid's dad and now him he better bring a legit game to campus. Normally I'd say that's unfair, particularly in this sport, but normally you don't hear much from three star recruits.

I basically consider him a 4-star. I think him committing to us a sophomore combined with Utah not being a national football recruiting hotbed hurt him in the rankings. Evan Flood on Twitter is saying that he had some powerhouse schools after him the past few months.
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,275

Post#63 » by jakecronus8 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:20 pm

Considering he was recruited by Chryst, I wonder if Houston has a shot at the starting gig next year.
Do it for Chuck
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,395

Post#64 » by trwi7 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:35 pm

Now it's documented. Stave got the yips after he was told he lost the starting QB job.

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/badgers/ ... 43651.html

"I thought after the scrimmages and the practices I had," Stave said, "in addition to my experience as a starter going into this year, that I had done enough to get my job back."

Instead, Ludwig told Stave that McEvoy would be the starter when UW opened against LSU in Houston.

Stave, always pleasant and upbeat, was stunned and furious.

"I was pretty upset," he said. "I was surprised, so I just nodded and walked out."

What transpired in the wake of that decision has been chronicled:

Stave was so shaken by the decision that his performance in practice deteriorated to the point that he could not be counted on as a backup. Throwing the football became a nightmare, and Stave didn't regain his confidence and his touch until the week before the Big Ten opener Oct. 4 at Northwestern.

"It was pretty bad," tailback Melvin Gordon said. "His confidence was gone."

Stave was totally fine until they gave the job to McEvoy. McEvoy didn't get the job because Stave had the yips.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,669

Post#65 » by MikeIsGood » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:00 pm

Stun.
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,275

Post#66 » by jakecronus8 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:56 pm

Should be a good year for Stave. The only big loss on offense is Havenstein, who wasn't much of a pass blocker anyways. Receivers will have another year of experience and I hope we see McEvoy at WR too. Obviously Gordon leaving should see a drop off in the running game but Clement looks legit and we always have the next guy waiting in the wings.
Do it for Chuck
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,172
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#67 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:34 am

Is that a surprise that's where he he got the yips?

My point earlier in the year was shame on GA for making the wrong choice at QB, but things like that have happened before. You can't fault a coach for struggling in games where he didn't have said other QB because said other QB got the **** yips.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,395

Post#68 » by trwi7 » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:35 am

Kerb Hohl wrote:Is that a surprise that's where he he got the yips?

My point earlier in the year was shame on GA for making the wrong choice at QB, but things like that have happened before. You can't fault a coach for struggling in games where he didn't have said other QB because said other QB got the **** yips.

Well we had that one guy (Ron Swanson?) arguing every time it was brought up that McEvoy had to be the starting QB because Stave couldn't throw.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
LarryFlanders
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#69 » by LarryFlanders » Mon Jan 5, 2015 8:39 pm

According to JSOnline looks like we're close to getting Rudolph and Bostad
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#70 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Jan 5, 2015 10:01 pm

The one thing that I didn't like about Chryst coming in over GA is that the "shoot for the moon" factor dropped a bit. If you get those two in, the star-studded assistant crew might cover up for what I felt was lost in that.
Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,552

Post#71 » by Ill-yasova » Tue Jan 6, 2015 2:56 pm

I heard this morning that Chryst may be looking at Jim Leonhard as a position coach and I think that would be awesome. Leonhard is the perfect example of a player getting the most out of his abilities and flourishing in the NFL despite not having prototypical size for his position. I think there are recruits out there who would be very impressed by what he was able to accomplish.
packfan414
Senior
And1: 171

Post#72 » by packfan414 » Fri Jan 9, 2015 9:45 pm

dont' know where else to post this, but just watched the 30 for 30 "the U part 2". was great. I didn't realize that barry alvarez was so close to taking the Miami job in 2001 after Butch davis left. Instead the Miami players all told the AD they didn't want BA as coach, so they promoted larry coker instead and won the national title in his first year. also interesting that BA was a big investor in the miami booster nevin shaprio's ponzi scheme.

also, how the hell is donnie shalala still the president at the U after all those scandals? unbelievable
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

OT: Wisconsin Badger Football 2014-2015 

Post#73 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:03 am

For better or worse, Chryst is down on his knees blowing the Wisconsin HS football coaches association and about to lose some higher-star recruits (some linked to BS academic stuff) and get all of the NIU commit in-state commits back.
neiLz
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,480

Post#74 » by neiLz » Wed Feb 4, 2015 2:52 pm

Any word on anything recruiting wise?
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#75 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Feb 4, 2015 3:02 pm

Signing day is pretty much over. There are still 2 "announcements" (one a 4-star player that is a lean Badgers, one that is probably gone). After Chryst came in, they lost several high 3/low 4 star guys including Jordan Griffin this morning but the class is still pretty good. They got a really good 1-2 punch of RBs, though one that just signed is rumored to still have to go the JuCo route before coming back to UW.

I follow 247 the most -- before GA left (and before a bunch of big recruits going to teams around them in the rankings probably bumped them down) they were low/mid 20s ranked for their class. They look like they'll finish in the 35th nationally range.
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 14,953

Post#76 » by RiotPunch » Wed Feb 4, 2015 3:08 pm

Losing a lot of good players due to academics. There needs to be a change. This high moral ground UW is on is getting really annoying.

When we're getting our asses handed to us by the Tide, at least we'll know we have smarter players than they do.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#77 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Feb 4, 2015 3:10 pm

There's the academics angle of it as well, but also "academics" as the excuse that guys that left when GA did. I agree that the former is the larger problem.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,016

Post#78 » by humanrefutation » Wed Feb 4, 2015 3:15 pm

RiotPunch wrote:Losing a lot of good players due to academics. There needs to be a change. This high moral ground UW is on is getting really annoying.

When we're getting our asses handed to us by the Tide, at least we'll know we have smarter players than they do.

:roll:

We've had the second best record in the big ten over the last 25 years. We've won several B1G championships. We've gone to six rose bowls, winning three. We've also managed to recruit three heisman trophy finalists, one winner, and the best defensive player in the NFL.

I'm pretty sure our academic standards are just fine, Gary. You don't recruit guys who you don't think can compete in the classroom. You don't set them up for failure.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#79 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Feb 4, 2015 3:26 pm

humanrefutation wrote:
RiotPunch wrote:Losing a lot of good players due to academics. There needs to be a change. This high moral ground UW is on is getting really annoying.

We've had the second best record in the big ten over the last 25 years. We've won several B1G championships. We've gone to six rose bowls, winning three. We've also managed to recruit three heisman trophy finalists, one winner, and the best defensive player in the NFL.

I'm pretty sure our academic standards are just fine, Gary. You don't recruit guys who you don't think can compete in the classroom. You don't set them up for failure.

1. While Andersen was kinda whiny about not getting some lower standard guys in, his main gripe was that the admissions department has been really **** since a changeover the last 4-5 years. That mastubatory article for alums to sniff their own farts about higher standards guys getting in was silly...because it was about what I mentioned in the last sentence. Absolutely true they get a better set of players that stays out of trouble for the most part, but there are a lot of kids that are every bit as qualified that they have been turning away lately for dumb reasons. It's not as if they have to go all the way down to letting the Jameis Winstons in.

2. Supposedly guys like Gordon and Borland wouldn't qualify under new standards/admissions stuff. That might just be an old wive's tale flying around, though.

3. It is true that if they have these different standards (some of them are just core class differences, not "better student") they will never compete for the playoffs. If that's OK with you, that's fine, because personally I do enjoy the success they have so I don't lose sleep over it. But comparable or better schools like Michigan get plenty of the guys that got screwed by UW in.
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 14,953

Post#80 » by RiotPunch » Wed Feb 4, 2015 3:40 pm

humanrefutation wrote:

:wink:

Appreciate the eye roll. It's true though, that the academic standards have tightened, and it could very well hold us back from being a great team. You can always find guys to mold into Gordon's and Watt's (although it is very hard), but it is more about quality of depth in recruiting classes to really put a contender together.

As long as we're in the hunt for a B10 championship every year, nothing will change, but I really believe UW needs to loosen up a bit to make for at least a slightly more level playing field. I'm not saying bring in the Cardale Jones' of the world, just guys who are close and need a little help to get to where they need to be in the classroom.

Has anyone heard word on Jordan Stevenson? I heard rumors that he didn't qualify academically.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis

Return to Green Bay Packers