Hobbled Rodgers = Better Rodgers?

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,287

Re: Hobbled Rodgers = Better Rodgers? 

Post#21 » by HKPackFan » Tue Jan 6, 2015 7:40 am

pack15412 wrote:
Godgers wrote:I think Rodgers has not played good since he injured his leg.

But one of my issues with the Packers is they never dump the ball off. It's always a big gain or nothing. But the MM's offense. I like screens and dumping it off to your check downs, taking what the defense gives you.

Check downs? So...they should trade Rodgers, then try to coax Kyle Orton out of retirement. I'm confused by this statement. Rodgers had 5 interceptions during the entire season, 1 less than Favre threw in a single game in St. Louis.

Rodgers makes me cringe when he holds the ball so long, but he is unreal at finding guys downfield on broken plays. He exchanges a few sacks and hits for those plays and doesn't give the ball away.

Screens are another animal. I'd love to see them get Lacy involved with more screens.

I get the feeling sometimes he's holding onto the ball so long because there is absolutely no one getting open on those plays. Rodgers can throw into pretty tight windows so I have a feeling sometimes he's looking for someone but there's nothing there, especially when teams have 7 guys in coverage. Also, sometimes especially early in the season I thought there were too many LONG developing plays and not enough slants, screens, checkdowns. By the bye week I noticed the went to more shorts stuff, especially checkdowns.

I think screens have been called off when there's only a few guys rushing, screens work best when it's a blitz and everyone is charging at the QB, they don't work as well when everyone is sitting back and waiting.

MM is a vertical offense, but he does have to balance that with the short stuff, especially considering teams are doing so much cover 2. I do think MM and Rodgers are mixing it up more.

In terms of Rodgers playing, "Not good" I don't see how someone can say that with a straight face. Last week stat line:

17-of-22 passes for 226 yards and two touchdowns, good for a 139.6 passer rating. Plus 1 Rushing TD on a sneak.

What the heck more do you want? Should he have gone 35 for 36 and 350 yards and 6 TDs????

Rodgers was efficient to the extreme, he just wasn't other wordly with a TD every drive. I think some people have expectation levels that are too high. If he throws for less than 70% Comp, less than 4 TD's, and less than 300 yards, Rodgers had an off game. :crazy:
#FreeChuckDiesel
Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,552

Post#22 » by Ill-yasova » Tue Jan 6, 2015 2:49 pm

I think I like the play calling a little bit better when Mc is going out of his way to protect Rodgers. It means more screens, quick slants, and getting the TE's involved in the game plan.
Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#23 » by Newz » Tue Jan 6, 2015 2:55 pm

Ill-yasova wrote:I think I like the play calling a little bit better when Mc is going out of his way to protect Rodgers. It means more screens, quick slants, and getting the TE's involved in the game plan.

I think a lot of people assume that this is just the plays that McCarthy is calling. You guys do realize that a lot of why Rodgers scrambles around, doesn't always check down and is looking for big plays is also... you know... because of Rodgers, right?

I personally don't care because regardless of which way he approaches the game he's the best QB in the NFL. I'd probably prefer a bit more quick hitting stuff on a more regular basis, but it is what it is.
Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,552

Post#24 » by Ill-yasova » Tue Jan 6, 2015 2:58 pm

Yeah I know Rodgers audibles out of a lot of screens and stuff like that but when he's dinged up I think there is that added emphasis from him and MM on going more west coast with the offense.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,324

Post#25 » by El Duderino » Tue Jan 6, 2015 10:10 pm

Ill-yasova wrote:Yeah I know Rodgers audibles out of a lot of screens and stuff like that but when he's dinged up I think there is that added emphasis from him and MM on going more west coast with the offense.

The thing is though, what has been such a huge factor as to why for years now that the Packers have had one of the more dynamic and feared offenses in football is they consistently are at the top or right near the top in 20 plus yard passing plays. In fact, Rodgers is the leader in NFL history at yards per pass attempt.

That consistent ability to gash defenses for big plays is what keeps defensive coordinators up at night with fear. It also opens up underneath passing plays and makes it easier to run the ball because most defensive coordinators keep both safeties back deep out of that fear of getting gashed on long throws.

So while i get why a sizable number of fans wish the offense ran more shorter routes, never discount the major impact that our explosive play abilities have on defenses. On how that has lead to so many points being scored. Plus, sometimes i think a lot of fans simply don't realize just how often the offense does throw quick timing passes and check downs.

Lacy/Starks have combined for 60 receptions for 567 yards
Lacy alone is third on the team in receptions
Cobb catches a ton of short passes which often become longer gains after the catch and even Jotdy does at times

Return to Green Bay Packers