ImageImage

2015 Draft Lead Up Thread

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,287

Re: 2015 Draft Lead Up Thread 

Post#81 » by HKPackFan » Mon Feb 2, 2015 9:25 am

Picking 30th is not going to be easy, as other have stated the obvious athletic freaks of nature are already gone.

Some of the names mentioned earlier in this thread seem to be already spotted by early mock drafts:

Shaq going 14th to the Dolphins, Green-Beckham going 15th to the 9ers.

They have us going DT early:

30. Green Bay Packers - Malcom Brown, DT, Texas: The Packers may have been a dropped onside kick from playing in the Super Bowl but allowing 157 rushing yards to Marshawn Lynch in the NFC Championship didn't help. It also wasn't a one game issue, as the Packers finished the regular season ranked 23rd in the league in run defense. The 6-4, 320-pound Brown is a stout run defender who add bulk and strength to an otherwise undersized front.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl- ... -plentiful" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

I do think we are weak in the middle upfront. Pickett got old, Raji was crap prior to tearing his bicep(maybe he was playing out of position, but that doesn't justify being less effective than a blocking sled), and Guion could be a mirage. I don't mind paying guion a couple mil, but I'm not sold. He could be 2014's Howard Green or a decent guy to help, but Guion is not a solution by any stretch.
#FreeChuckDiesel
HKPackFan
RealGM

Post#82 » by HKPackFan » Mon Feb 2, 2015 10:43 am

Some Perryman Highlights. I saw another mock having him go to us at #30.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NZbhgf33sg" target="_blank

(I think the video title is lame, but it shows some decent hits).

NFL Media's Mike Mayock believes Miami senior LB Denzel Perryman "is a first-round inside linebacker if he runs well at the combine."
Perryman did not play in Saturday's game due to an abdominal injury he suffered earlier in the week, but analysts did get to see plenty of him in practice. He has drawn comparisons to former Badger Chris Borland -- drafted in the third round by the 49ers -- though NFL.com's Daniel Jeremiah believes Perryman will be drafted higher than Borland was. Perryman possesses a stocky 6-foot, 243-pound frame. We've heard he runs a 4.72 forty, though the combine will be the final arbiter of that.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/cfb/131 ... l-perryman

Chris Borland!?! I could live with that.
#FreeChuckDiesel
raysbookclub
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,176

Post#83 » by raysbookclub » Mon Feb 2, 2015 3:54 pm

Mags FTW wrote:People need to remember that we're getting a free WR next year with Abbrederis. Rodgers was really high on him in camp.

He came in with the injury-prone label though and obviously last year doesn't help that. Didn't he have several concussions in college? Kinda scary to count on him.

That said, I don't think they add a WR in the first few rounds unless Cobb is not re-signed.
chuckleslove
RealGM
And1: 1,128

Post#84 » by chuckleslove » Mon Feb 2, 2015 4:10 pm

books wrote:
Mags FTW wrote:People need to remember that we're getting a free WR next year with Abbrederis. Rodgers was really high on him in camp.

He came in with the injury-prone label though and obviously last year doesn't help that. Didn't he have several concussions in college? Kinda scary to count on him.

That said, I don't think they add a WR in the first few rounds unless Cobb is not re-signed.

He had one concussion in college, I think the injury prone label was overstated. He had a few nagging injuries in college a couple of times but this ACL was the first major injury I believe.
I'm dealing with cancer, it sucks, can follow along for updates if that's your thing: Chuck's cancer Go Fund Me page
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,275

Post#85 » by jakecronus8 » Mon Feb 2, 2015 4:25 pm

Completely cool with DGB in then first. Our red zone and goal line offense was pretty bad in crucial situations and we left a ton of points on the field.
Do it for Chuck
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#86 » by FAH1223 » Mon Feb 2, 2015 7:37 pm

HKPackFan wrote:Picking 30th is not going to be easy, as other have stated the obvious athletic freaks of nature are already gone.

Some of the names mentioned earlier in this thread seem to be already spotted by early mock drafts:

Shaq going 14th to the Dolphins, Green-Beckham going 15th to the 9ers.

They have us going DT early:

30. Green Bay Packers - Malcom Brown, DT, Texas: The Packers may have been a dropped onside kick from playing in the Super Bowl but allowing 157 rushing yards to Marshawn Lynch in the NFC Championship didn't help. It also wasn't a one game issue, as the Packers finished the regular season ranked 23rd in the league in run defense. The 6-4, 320-pound Brown is a stout run defender who add bulk and strength to an otherwise undersized front.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/nfl- ... -plentiful" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank" target="_blank

I do think we are weak in the middle upfront. Pickett got old, Raji was crap prior to tearing his bicep(maybe he was playing out of position, but that doesn't justify being less effective than a blocking sled), and Guion could be a mirage. I don't mind paying guion a couple mil, but I'm not sold. He could be 2014's Howard Green or a decent guy to help, but Guion is not a solution by any stretch.

Raji sucked in 2013 at DE. But in preseason he looked like he was back to form at NT. Definitely would like him back on another one year deal to prove himself.

But we seriously need to draft a guy early at NT and find an ILB in this draft. Those are the two biggest holes on the team by far.

Depth on the offensive line is also a concern as well as finding another outside CB.
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,574

Post#87 » by Profound23 » Mon Feb 2, 2015 7:52 pm

I know we need ILB's

But the last thing I want is another draft where we are focused on one or two positions and let a Randy Moss walk to our division rival because we are focus on DBs. Outside of kicker and punter draft the best player available.
FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#88 » by FAH1223 » Mon Feb 2, 2015 8:08 pm

Profound23 wrote:I know we need ILB's

But the last thing I want is another draft where we are focused on one or two positions and let a Randy Moss walk to our division rival because we are focus on DBs. Outside of kicker and punter draft the best player available.

I agree with you.

I mean besides, no one can be as bad as Hawk and Jones. Barrington, a 7th rounder in 2013, played a lot better. Sure, he has his limitations but he wasn't a liability out there.
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
And1: 1,417

Post#89 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Mon Feb 2, 2015 8:14 pm

It's looking like my guy Maxx Williams won't even be there for us in the 1st round, much less the 2nd (or 3rd like I had hoped).

Kiper's latest on him (#23 on the big board):

Analysis: A very good athlete, Williams can accelerate out of his breaks with a lot more quickness than you would think for a guy playing at 250-plus pounds, and when you factor in a wide catch radius, soft hands and a long frame, he just becomes really hard to keep covered. Linebackers don't stand much of a chance, and Williams is too big for others to handle physically. Now the top tight end on the board.
BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Calvin Johnson is horrible and not a top WR.
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,169

Post#90 » by RRyder823 » Mon Feb 2, 2015 11:28 pm

FAH1223 wrote:But we seriously need to draft a guy early at NT and find an ILB in this draft. Those are the two biggest holes on the team by far.

Depth on the offensive line is also a concern as well as finding another outside CB.

I agree with NT n ILB being the most pressing needs n think picking up another CB is right up there with grabbing another TE but I disagree with OL depth as a big concern. While they probably will draft another one in the mid to late rounds with Tretter having the versatility to play pretty much Tackle or Center n Barclay comming back you got another backup Tackle n Guard theres 7 of our activated gameday lineman right there so I wouldnt say its a big concern.

Drafting a backup QB in the later rounds is more pressing the Oline depth right now imo. But pretty much like last year when we were lookin like we needed to come out of that draft with a playmaker/starter at Saftey this year we need to come away with at least an ILB. NT is up there for depth n to develope but I like Raji at NT on a one year deal so both 1a n 1b for me is ILB for needs
HKPackFan
RealGM

Post#91 » by HKPackFan » Tue Feb 3, 2015 4:55 am

RRyder823 wrote:
FAH1223 wrote:But we seriously need to draft a guy early at NT and find an ILB in this draft. Those are the two biggest holes on the team by far.

I agree with NT n ILB being the most pressing needs n think picking up another CB is right up there with grabbing another TE but I disagree with OL depth as a big concern. While they probably will draft another one in the mid to late rounds with Tretter having the versatility to play pretty much Tackle or Center n Barclay comming back you got another backup Tackle n Guard theres 7 of our activated gameday lineman right there so I wouldnt say its a big concern.

Drafting a backup QB in the later rounds is more pressing the Oline depth right now imo. But pretty much like last year when we were lookin like we needed to come out of that draft with a playmaker/starter at Saftey this year we need to come away with at least an ILB. NT is up there for depth n to develope but I like Raji at NT on a one year deal so both 1a n 1b for me is ILB for needs

I would be completely happy if we get one in the mid to late rounds, but I do want us to draft an Oline. I think it's unusual for them to be starting so fast like Bak and Corey. In the past it's taken them a couple years to settle in. I think we will lose 1-2 of our core 5 after 2 years and would like to have a mid-round backup being groomed to take over for that eventuality. I want to keep that consistency in the worst way so just want to make sure we don't neglect that position. I think the flexibility Tretter and Barclay have create unusual depth because they can play almost everywhere (assuming Barclay's 100% post injury). Normally we'd have to have more guys to backup those 5 positions. Barclay is a nice stop gap but I think he's at best average, no complaints, he's a quality backup. I'd just be more comfortable with another young promising stud we could groom for the future.

And if we lose Bulaga to free agency, then I'd say our depth is gone, Oline becomes a much bigger need.
#FreeChuckDiesel
vegaspacker
Analyst
And1: 964

Post#92 » by vegaspacker » Tue Feb 3, 2015 7:16 am

I think Oline injuries always are an issue with this team. Anything that allows Lacy free reign on the second level "instantly" makes this offense superbly diverse. Actually, I'm hoping that Eddie goes to an early workshop/weekend getaway with Lynch... and that seals the deal with the Pack.

Best of the of rest ILB's, can be had in the second round. Rodgers can make a WR great, and a big ugly DLine guy can fill the void in the fourth RD. Thompson's early Dline picks have been suspect, although he generally goes for the pass disrupters. I bet Boykin and Abrederris come in rejuvenated... Throw in Janis and we got a pretty decent amount of competition.

My flyer is Clive Walford... another target worthy of Aaron....
I needs shades for this future thing we owning..... 8-) 8-) 8-)
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM

Post#93 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Fri Feb 6, 2015 12:27 am

McShay has Maxx Williams going to us at 30.

Analysis: The Packers need youth and athleticism at inside linebacker, so Mississippi State's Benardrick McKinney is a possibility. But the team could also afford an upgrade at tight end, and Williams is the most complete TE in what is shaping up to be a very shallow class. He has a very good combination of size (6-4, 250 pounds) and speed, and it's expected that he'll test really well at the combine later this month. He'd provide Aaron Rodgers with another weapon in the passing game, which could become increasingly important if Randall Cobb leaves in free agency.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,396

Post#94 » by trwi7 » Fri Feb 6, 2015 1:28 am

I'd rather take McKinney and see what Rodgers has in his second year.
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM

Post#95 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Fri Feb 6, 2015 2:33 am

Yeah me too. I've been wanting us to take an ILB early in the draft for the last decade or so. And Rodgers really started to impress me toward the end of the season. Obviously wouldn't be crushed if we took Maxx though.
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 14,963

Post#96 » by RiotPunch » Fri Feb 6, 2015 2:55 am

Give me Paul Dawson over McKinney.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,054

Post#97 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Feb 6, 2015 2:41 pm

ReasonablySober (2014) wrote:
ReasonablySober (2013) wrote:
DrugBust (2012) wrote:Get Rodgers a weapon in the 1st round, please.

Get Rodgers a weapon in the 1st round, please.

humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,020

Post#98 » by humanrefutation » Fri Feb 6, 2015 9:57 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
ReasonablySober (2014) wrote:
ReasonablySober (2013) wrote:Get Rodgers a weapon in the 1st round, please.

So, you're saying that TT should draft BPA in the 1st round?
Dick Dastardly
Sophomore
And1: 74

Post#99 » by Dick Dastardly » Sun Feb 8, 2015 8:36 pm

what's the deal with Jeff Janis? Is he going to be able to provide anything next year?
eagle13
Head Coach
And1: 107

Post#100 » by eagle13 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:43 am

A TE will NOT ever be BPA in this draft.

Give Rodgers a weapon he has rarely had. A defense that gets itself off the field and gives Rodgers more possessions and better field position. DRAFT DEFENSE 1st thru 4th = ILB, NT, CB, DE / (OT with comp 4th, QB in 5th, KR in 6th)

Better yet sign vet FA ILB and DRAFT DEFENSE 1st thru 4th = NT, CB, DE, ILB

Adams and Janis are going to be great - more 4 WR formations return again next year (with Lacy)

Return to Green Bay Packers