ImageImage

NFC Championship Post-Game

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

Lippo
Lead Assistant
And1: 947

Re: NFC Championship Post-Game 

Post#501 » by Lippo » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:20 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:I certainly think the play was to go for it on 4th. The numbers back it up across the league and against this particular team. It isn't even worth a discussion in my opinion, the jury is out on this one.

That said, there is absolutely a discussion to be had about the specific play calls, which seems to be Twirly's issue. Were the Packers better off going with a Kuhn handoff instead of a sneak? Condensing the field by not spreading a WR out on one play? Going single back?

I was yelling for a sneak, but had the Packers run Lacy three consecutive downs and not gotten it, I wouldn't be here complaining.

Those stats don't including failing and leaving them at the 1/2 yard line and getting a chance at a safety + the ball as well. Teams do stupid things that deep, and at that time Wilson was in stupid mode.
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,565

Post#502 » by Profound23 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:27 pm

It's ironic because when we go for it and get stuffed then our defense gives up a 99 yard drive, everyone would be whining about not taking the points.

They are crying about running the ball too much, but if Rodgers throws a pick 6 or gets injured everyone would be crying about that.

The coaches put the players in position to win, they didn't execute. Slocum on the other hand, he can go.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,018

Post#503 » by humanrefutation » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:39 pm

Slocum did have the team prepped excellently on kickoff coverage and Mason was clutch as ****. He deserves credit for that. I don't blame him on Bostick, either. The FG-safe issue is inexcusable, though.
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,565

Post#504 » by Profound23 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:56 pm

Did you guys see this:

"The Green Bay Packers have postponed media availability today with the coaches due to a personal matter on the coaching staff."

Either:
1.) Something serious happened off the field
2.) At least one of our coaches are being fired
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,056

Post#505 » by paulpressey25 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:01 pm

Profound23 wrote:One play that is being overlooked. When McCarthy intelligently calls a screen pass to Lacy late in the game. Rodgers ankle/calf tweaks and the throw is way off. If Rodgers' leg is fine, that throw hits the mark, and Lacy at least gets 20-30 yards with no Seahawks in front of him and all Packers lineman. That play hurts because it was great coaching, great execution, bad luck.

Rodgers missed on a lot of throws. The one that sticks out to me was that play where he had Jordy(?) and one other guy (Cobb?) both generally wide open and the play might have gone for 6, but Rodgers threw the pass into the ground at the Seattle defender who was 10 feet away from our WR's.

If Rodgers was 100% healthy and playing a normal Rodgers game, we win by 15.
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#506 » by paulpressey25 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:02 pm

Profound23 wrote:Did you guys see this:

"The Green Bay Packers have postponed media availability today with the coaches due to a personal matter on the coaching staff."

Either:

I'd have to guess they are canning Slocum and maybe Capers is "retiring" although I'd admit that's my hope on things. But if they do can some guys, they can handle it all as part of this messed up press conference rather than doing two of them and having to relive things twice.

Newz
Banned User
And1: 2,551

Post#507 » by Newz » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:06 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
Profound23 wrote:Did you guys see this:

Either:

I'd have to guess they are canning Slocum and maybe Capers is "retiring" although I'd admit that's my hope on things. But if they do can some guys, they can handle it all as part of this messed up press conference rather than doing two of them and having to relive things twice.

This could also have to do with Van Pelt or another coach being hired by another team. Maybe they are sorting out who gets promoted to what spots as other guys leave.
Newz
Banned User

Post#508 » by Newz » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:08 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
Profound23 wrote:One play that is being overlooked. When McCarthy intelligently calls a screen pass to Lacy late in the game. Rodgers ankle/calf tweaks and the throw is way off. If Rodgers' leg is fine, that throw hits the mark, and Lacy at least gets 20-30 yards with no Seahawks in front of him and all Packers lineman. That play hurts because it was great coaching, great execution, bad luck.

McCarthy coached Rodgers to miss on a lot of throws. The one that sticks out to me was that play where he had Jordy(?) and one other guy (Cobb?) both generally wide open and the play might have gone for 6, but McCarthy coached Rodgers to throw the pass into the ground at the Seattle defender who was 10 feet away from our WR's.

If McCarthy had coached Rodgers to be 100% healthy and playing a normal Rodgers game, we win by 15.

Fixed for accuracy. ;)
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#509 » by paulpressey25 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:17 pm

Newz wrote:Fixed for accuracy. ;)

I can go with that, but you need to put Clay being a wuss and sitting out the final two drives of regulation to your top 7 list. For me that goes to slot #1. Now you understand why I was so confused that the D collapsed. They might have collapsed anyways, but with Clay out, we are a different team.

Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,172
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#510 » by Kerb Hohl » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:18 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
Newz wrote:Fixed for accuracy. ;)

I can go with that, but you need to put Clay being a wuss and sitting out the final two drives of regulation to your top 7 list. For me that goes to slot #1.

He was unable to get close to running down Wilson at the end so I'm going to assume that something was wrong enough to make him an AJ Hawk clone for his last drive he returned for.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks

Post#511 » by paulpressey25 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:22 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:He was unable to get close to running down Wilson at the end so I'm going to assume that something was wrong enough to make him an AJ Hawk clone for his last drive he returned for.

Could be. Maybe his hamstring went out again.

But if that did occur, then we are back to all the questions about Clay taking up so damn much cap space, but only being able to play half the games. The thing that was great about Sunday was that Clay WAS playing at a super high level in the first half, and it was one reason the D was doing so well.

rilamann
RealGM
And1: 13,287

Post#512 » by rilamann » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:07 pm

Clay better have been seriously hurt and if he wasn't the Packers better make something up because if he sat out those two drives simply because he was tired or he tweaked something his reputation as an NFL player is toast.

I think the whole defensive collapse and possibly the thing with Clay sitting out boils down to the fact the defense relaxed or let up because they felt the game was over.

Burnett sliding down on the INT is proof of that.You don't slide down on that play,especially with that much open field in front of you unless you think that play 100% sealed the game.There was still plenty of time for Seattle to get 2 scores when Burnett slid,he choked.

I just think at the end of the day after Burnett picked the ball off the defense thought the game was over and let their guard down,you could also tell by their reaction and body language after the play they thought that INT sealed the win.You combine that with Clay sitting out and we saw what happened.

In the OT the were probably shell shocked at that point.

It's the NFL,hell you let your guard down against the Jacksonville Jaguars and you're going to get burned let alone against the Seahakws in that stadium in the NFC Championship game.

The Packers played a phenomenal game defensively for 3 and a half quarters but they choked on a phenomenal level in the final 5 minutes and overtime.
Giannis Antetokounmpo wrote:You're out here reffing like Marc Davis and ****
rilamann
RealGM
And1: 13,287

Post#513 » by rilamann » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:35 pm

th87 wrote:
rilamann wrote:
th87 wrote:The difference is, Popovich is a killer. Unless this caused McCarthy to join the dark side, these are different circumstances.

I do think this game puts the Packers at a crossroads where the game either haunts them for years or they use it as a springboard to win the Super Bowl next season.

With that said if it ends up being a springboard to success for this team I'll be pretty surprised.McCarthy and this team have the personalty where they'll have flashbacks of this game and fall apart when they feel any kind of pressure in a game.Plus McCarthy is too stubborn and arrogant to change his ways.

This team already had a history of being fragile in big games before yesterday.

Plus you have to wonder how much confidence and respect the players will have for McCarthy from here on out.The fact McCarthy didn't take any responsibility or accountability after the game and said he didn't regret anything about the game is already a really bad sign.

I know as a Packer fan that for the rest of my life every time I see Mike McCarthy's face I'll think of this game.....how could you not.

I fear that too. Sherman noticeably lost his edge after 4th and 26. Until then, I had great respect for him as a coach (not as a GM though).

That said, the players seem to love McCarthy. If he takes this offseason and does some soul searching or whatever, and decides that next season, he will put all his trust in the players and start pounding teams, then I'm on board. It's not easy to accomplish what he's built.

But we seemed to stop doing what got us here. During the season, we'd see a more relaxed/fun atmosphere, but when the playoffs rolled around, they tightened up. Rodgers started to get down on himself more, and Nelson just straight up shrank, to name a few examples. And I think MM's can't-make-mistakes philosophy (which isn't a bad thing) could've been a factor that trickled down. That type of attitude manifests itself into players thinking they should slide to avoid fumbling on an interception return. Yes, I think players take on the attitude of their coaches.

You've had to deal with a lot of heat with the mental toughness thing (mostly from the strawman factories here working overtime), but while I didn't agree with your premise totally, I could see where you were coming from. Attitude does matter. And yes, you can sense a "general" attitude. There are teams that play aggressively and go down swinging (Patriots, Seahawks), and there are others that tighten up, and start going into an oh-crap-I'd-better-not-lose-this at the slightest hint of success. This is why Marty Schottenheimer couldn't get over the hump - they went into mistake avoidance mode. This is why the Packers being a playoff favorite is somewhat terrifying.

And regarding the whole BS strawman that has been built in here, where if you win, you're mentally tough, and if you don't, you aren't, sometimes you win in spite of lacking it, and sometimes you lose in spite of having it. The Packers, for years now, have been talented enough to impose their will on teams (and very good ones), but time and again, I've seen them jump out to a lead, start running the ball, let the other team back in, and then have to close out the game. I'd like this to stop happening.

I think that for the Packers to use this game as a springboard to a high level of future success,Mike McCarthy is going to have to make a lot of changes to his coaching philosophy and the overall mentality of how he coaches in big games.

McCarthy is stubborn and arrogant and not likely to change his ways,but maybe it took an epic over the top collapse/choke like we saw Sunday for that to happen because the whole conservative play calling in big games thing and the ''not sticking with what got you there'' thing in the big games has been McCarthy's trademark since the NFC Championship game vs the Giants in the 2007 season.

If McCarthy doesn't switch his playing not to lose mentality to a playing to win mentality in the big games after last Sunday he never will.He knows how to play to win and be aggressive,he plays to win and is aggressive a lot in the regular season,he just has to grow the balls to keep doing it that way in big games.Which goes back of course to the sticking with what got you there thing.That's easily McCarthy's biggest flaw as a head coach and that's the worst flaw a head coach of a championship caliber team can have.

Back to Sunday,I'm not going to sit here and say I saw the choke coming Sunday when there was 5 minutes left in the game but the mentality that set up the choke was nothing new and that mentality is why I've been a big critic of McCarthy for last 6 or 7 years.

Looking back now after Sunday,saying it was a mental toughness thing wasn't the right way to put it on my part.After Sunday I learned my gripe has more to do with McCarthy's coaching mentality in the big games than mental toughness which is still kind of along the same lines.

MM coaches conservative and tight and not to lose in big games and the players take on that mentality and play tight and conservative which is why they never seem to play at the same high level in the big games as we see during most of the regular season which has been my gripe.

It's the coaching mentality and philosophy in the big games,not so much mental toughness like I thought,which also explains why we continue keep seeing this type of thing as the players change over the years.
Giannis Antetokounmpo wrote:You're out here reffing like Marc Davis and ****
chuckleslove
RealGM
And1: 1,128

Post#514 » by chuckleslove » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:58 pm

MM's brother passed away suddenly at 47 that's why the coaches didn't meet with the media
I'm dealing with cancer, it sucks, can follow along for updates if that's your thing: Chuck's cancer Go Fund Me page
Newz
Banned User

Post#515 » by Newz » Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:25 am

chuckleslove wrote:MM's brother passed away suddenly at 47 that's why the coaches didn't meet with the media

This is awful.
Reddeye
Bench Warmer
And1: 270

Post#516 » by Reddeye » Thu Jan 22, 2015 3:58 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/FO_ScottKacsmar/status/558290731576881153[/tweet]
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,045

Post#517 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:00 pm

Reddeye wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/FO_ScottKacsmar/status/558290731576881153[/tweet]

This is a gut punch.
Newz
Banned User

Post#518 » by Newz » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:03 pm

Reddeye wrote:[tweet]https://twitter.com/FO_ScottKacsmar/status/558290731576881153[/tweet]

Wedgegate.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#519 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:10 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:He was unable to get close to running down Wilson at the end so I'm going to assume that something was wrong enough to make him an AJ Hawk clone for his last drive he returned for.

Could be. Maybe his hamstring went out again.

But if that did occur, then we are back to all the questions about Clay taking up so damn much cap space, but only being able to play half the games. The thing that was great about Sunday was that Clay WAS playing at a super high level in the first half, and it was one reason the D was doing so well.

OK. So let Clay go. Let's see how much of Rodgers' prime we waste trying to fill the saved $ with anyone that can even play like Matthews for 5 minutes.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#520 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:15 pm

Blandino just said it's legal. You just need to have at least 4 on each side of the ball. Isn't a wedge on a return anyways?

Return to Green Bay Packers