ImageImage

Cobb Resigns page 7

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

raysbookclub
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,176

Re: Cobb Resigns page 7 

Post#141 » by raysbookclub » Sun Mar 8, 2015 4:51 am

Thought there was a decent chance Cobb went somewhere else, since you may not need to pay your 2 top WRs that much money to win in the NFL with an elite QB. Then again, besides Nelson and Cobb, the rest of the WRs will be on rookie or minimum deals.
ACGB
RealGM
And1: 2,709

Post#142 » by ACGB » Sun Mar 8, 2015 4:53 am

It's easy for fans to sit around and say things like "What's really the big deal between 10 or 12 million dollars a year? I'd rather take less and play with Rodgers". Seeing a guy actually go through with it is kind of amazing.
skitch815
Starter
And1: 59

Post#143 » by skitch815 » Sun Mar 8, 2015 5:08 am

Totally agree with the last post. Taking considerably less to play for the Packers rather than some 3-13 team with a bunch of cap room shows a dedication to winning.
MetroDrugUnit
Sixth Man
And1: 46

Cobb Resigns page 7 

Post#144 » by MetroDrugUnit » Sun Mar 8, 2015 5:16 am

Great Signing, I thought he was gone.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums mobile app
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,064

Post#145 » by ReasonablySober » Sun Mar 8, 2015 5:22 am

ACGB wrote:It's easy for fans to sit around and say things like "What's really the big deal between 10 or 12 million dollars a year? I'd rather take less and play with Rodgers". Seeing a guy actually go through with it is kind of amazing.

Yup. I don't even begrudge players for taking every last dime they can. I certainly didn't think that way in the past (why take x amount to stay with a loser when...) but I get it now, embarrassingly late.

I was 95% sure Cobb was gone and I was totally fine with him getting a big check in Oakland, Jacksonville or whatever.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,047

Post#146 » by humanrefutation » Sun Mar 8, 2015 5:34 am

Outstanding news. Seriously outstanding.
ClassicJack
Lead Assistant
And1: 965

Post#147 » by ClassicJack » Sun Mar 8, 2015 6:56 am

Wouldn't have blamed him for taking more money but ecstatic he's sticking around.
F*** Marc Davis, f*** Tim Donaghy and f*** David Stern as a staff, record label and as a mothaf**kin crew......and if you wanna be down with Stern then F*** YOU TOO!!! Stu Jackson f*** you too.....all you mothaf**kas F*** YOU TOO!!!!
Balls2TheWalls
RealGM
And1: 3,612

Post#148 » by Balls2TheWalls » Sun Mar 8, 2015 7:02 am

The fact that he left 2-3 million dollars a season on the table to come back to Green Bay speaks volumes about his respect for the team and the people playing around him.

Fantastic signing.
SupremeHustle wrote:Salmons might shoot us out of games, but SJAX shoots people out of parking lots. Think about it.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,327

Post#149 » by Mags FTW » Sun Mar 8, 2015 9:16 am

This is why there is something to be said for acquiring "Packer People". Players who are into clubs, the spotlight, etc. probably don't take less money to sign in tiny Green Bay.
JayMKE
RealGM
And1: 14,591

Post#150 » by JayMKE » Sun Mar 8, 2015 9:46 am

Cobb will make more in the long run, his career would basically be over if he signed in a place like Oakland or Jacksonville. Now he'll put up big numbers and have another big pay day before his career is over.
FREE GIANNIS
MrPerfect1
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,425

Post#151 » by MrPerfect1 » Sun Mar 8, 2015 10:27 am

I suspect many will disagree, but I think this is an overpay.

1)10 Mil/Year is pretty much unheard of for a slot receiver a believe.

2)Not exactly the greatest health track record

3)Sure seems to get shut down at times vs good corners when he faces them.
Buckrageous
Starter
And1: 665

Post#152 » by Buckrageous » Sun Mar 8, 2015 12:06 pm

MrPerfect1 wrote:I suspect many will disagree, but I think this is an overpay.

Actually many would agree with you on page 6 of this thread. By page 7, you are right, many would disagree with you. :D
Balls2TheWalls
RealGM
And1: 3,612

Post#153 » by Balls2TheWalls » Sun Mar 8, 2015 12:13 pm

I don't understand the health track record thing.

The guy had his lower leg shattered. I can understand there being concerns about him coming back healthy and keeping his speed, but that is a freak injury, and he came back as good as ever.

After it was made clear he could get 12-13 on the open market, I was more than happy with us going from 9 to 10 million to keep him.
SupremeHustle wrote:Salmons might shoot us out of games, but SJAX shoots people out of parking lots. Think about it.
slappyg
Junior
And1: 269

Post#154 » by slappyg » Sun Mar 8, 2015 2:19 pm

I have a lot of respect for Cobb being loyal and for Cobb understanding the value of playing on a good team. This is a true win-win. Cobb may have left $8 million on the table but he may stand to make $24 million more on his next contract. If he left for a terrible team he could be in the Greg Jennings boat and possibly getting cut and having to re-sign somewhere else much cheaper.
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,579

Post#155 » by Profound23 » Sun Mar 8, 2015 3:29 pm

Buckrageous wrote:

Actually many would agree with you on page 6 of this thread. By page 7, you are right, many would disagree with you. :D

I actually still agree with it. I don't think it was a smart move, hopefully I am wrong.

I thought it was a bad idea when Pitts gave Antonio Brown his contract. I really wanted Julius Thomas.
zmanishere11
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#156 » by zmanishere11 » Sun Mar 8, 2015 3:54 pm

The guy is a slot receiver only.

He got $10 mil because OAK would have paid him $12. Good for him - just worry about who this costs us down the road.
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,579

Post#157 » by Profound23 » Sun Mar 8, 2015 4:05 pm

zmanishere11 wrote:The guy is a slot receiver only.

He got $10 mil because OAK would have paid him $12. Good for him - just worry about who this costs us down the road.

I am just praying they still use him out of the backfield and on special teams.
Buckrageous
Starter
And1: 665

Post#158 » by Buckrageous » Sun Mar 8, 2015 4:16 pm

Profound23 wrote:
Buckrageous wrote:

I actually still agree with it. I don't think it was a smart move, hopefully I am wrong.

I thought it was a bad idea when Pitts gave Antonio Brown his contract. I really wanted Julius Thomas.

I was just joking around. I thought it was funny it went from denial that he would leave to acceptance that he would leave to justification to why he should leave to I'm glad they gave him the money I've convinced myself he probably doesn't deserve. And those are the feelings I had too. :crazy: :D

As for the deal: The thing is even if he's "overpaid" for his position if they weren't going to bring anyone in better than him, or Bulaga for that matter, it's a good move to give him the money. Unused cap space isn't pushing them over the top. If they got a real difference maker, like Suh, and then went cheap on the slot WR that's one thing. But if they weren't going to do that they need Bulaga and Cobb.
Bernman
RealGM
And1: 5,496

Post#159 » by Bernman » Sun Mar 8, 2015 6:00 pm

Haha, he got more than he was originally asking for. I'm not sure who screwed up, Ted or his agent.

Pleased to have him back in the fold. He's accountable and a great example for the other guys. That's in addition to being a particularly good player who might still have upside. The guy isn't even 25 yet! I feel like that's lost on some people. Most are hitting the market first at like 26-27. He came out young.

With the age factor in mind, you get why even from a financial standpoint he'd be willing to take a little less. He's going to have one more substantial contract in him when he's still only 28, bar injuries. His price then is going to be higher if he's been winning and productive. Jennings was already 29 when he went to the Vikes. He can be lame in Minnesota and it's not really going to hurt him financially in the future.
"TRADE GIANNIS" - Magic Giannison
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,935

Post#160 » by Turk Nowitzki » Sun Mar 8, 2015 7:33 pm

The more I read about this the more I feel we got really lucky with Cobb. I think he made an intelligent decision but that's easy to say as an outside observer. It's football and there's a chance your career can be drastically altered or even end on any given play. There's a decent chance he will look smart but four years is a long way down the road. Most guys take every dollar they can get in the moment for good reason.

Return to Green Bay Packers