Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,169

Re: Pick 1 - Damarious Randall - S 

Post#101 » by RRyder823 » Fri May 1, 2015 12:43 pm

zmanishere11 wrote:
Dick Dastardly wrote:
ArodpwnsFavre wrote:He traded up for clay. If he feels there's a player he wants he will trade up. This is a year I think he trades up. The roster is pretty stacked. There won't be enough room for all the picks.

he also traded up for jeremy thompson and Jerel Worthy. Traded down to pass on Julius Thomas to take DJ Williams.

Can we stop with this "I trust Ted" bs? He isn't infallible. It's kind of disturbing. I notice there is hardly a mention of Nick Perry flopping. Ted walks on water in this state.

There sure are a lot of bitter Brett Favre lovers still out there.

Have you seen the last 2 drafts? Pro Bowl caliber players in Lacy, Linsley, Baktiarhi. Role players with big upside left in Adams, Rodgers, Clinton Dix, Barrington, Datone, Hyde. Plus a bunch of guys left on the roster that we don't know what we have yet with.

Pretty much any GM would blow TT for that kind of work. Get off #4's D and check out TT's.

How the hell is Baktiarhi a pro bowl caliber player? Hes a solid to good LT for us but hes not close to being "a pro bowl caliber player". I like him dont get me wrong but Ha Ha is much much more likely to be a Pro Bowler the Baktiarhi.

I do agree with the premise of your post but I seriously hated this pick when it happened and have only cooled on it marginally. True he was a late riser and as such had started popping up in alot of peoples mocks as high as 20 so u can argue theres value there at 30 but I absolutely HATE players that rise so quickly so late in the process. To me theres about a 80% chance its fools gold when they rise so late.
msiris
RealGM
And1: 1,716

Post#102 » by msiris » Fri May 1, 2015 12:47 pm

I don't like the pick. Is he a better athlete than Kendricks? Kendricks was very productive in college. He made plays as well. The biggest problem the Packers had was they didn't have anyone who made plays at ILB. Looks like Clay will play there again.
Ride the tank
crkone
RealGM
And1: 9,332

Post#103 » by crkone » Fri May 1, 2015 1:02 pm

I like the fact he was the best player in that secondary and could play multiple positions. He's a little undersized but he's quick.
msiris
RealGM

Post#104 » by msiris » Fri May 1, 2015 1:04 pm

As far as TT goes he has been ok as a drafter. For a team that relies mainly on the draft the Packers have been really good. But who should get most of the credit? I am thinking one of the better QBs of the times.
Ride the tank
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,172
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Pick 1 - Damarious Randall - S 

Post#105 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri May 1, 2015 1:13 pm

trwi7 wrote:
xTitan wrote:AFC scout: "He's a mid-round kind of guy. He's OK. Nothing special."

AFC scout: "There's an outside chance he goes late one."

AFC scout: "He's creeping up there (first round). He's being compared to T.J. Ward."

NFC scout:"Second rounder."

AFC scout: "I'm not crazy about him."

Amazed these scouts don't put their names on these hot takes.

You missed the one where one said "I saw him, I like him."
Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,552

Post#106 » by Ill-yasova » Fri May 1, 2015 1:16 pm

msiris wrote:I don't like the pick. Is he a better athlete than Kendricks? Kendricks was very productive in college. He made plays as well. The biggest problem the Packers had was they didn't have anyone who made plays at ILB. Looks like Clay will play there again.

Second and third round picks can't be ILB's? Hmmm. But Chris Borland was a third rounder. Bobby Wagner was a second rounder. Karlos Dansby was a second rounder. Sean Lee was a second rounder. Kiko Alonso was a second rounder. NaVorro Bowman was a third rounder and is arguably the best ILB in football.

Pump the brakes buddy.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#107 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri May 1, 2015 1:23 pm

Jollay wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:
Dcebucks11 wrote:packers counter bears kevin white pick with a 5'10 unknown safety turned into a CB

Yeah, I wanted the 6'5" corner. A real shame.

Give me a break. Collins pushes 6'2". P.J. Williams and Carter's kid are a legit 6'0", although if you like Carter you go ILB first and try to get him in the 2nd. It's perfectly legitimate to say you want a taller corner. Or one that is more polished for a SB contender.

Honest question, are you related to TT? You literally can't take the slightest criticism about him. Ever.

After sleeping on the pick I remain somewhat unenthused. If he's a special teams demon it will help a lot though. MMQB, of course, wish we had known Brown would be there, taken him and used some of the Raji/Guion cash to retain either Williams or House. But the Raji/Guion deals weren't bad, either, so meh.

Now the question is, do one of the top 5 or so ILBs last to the next pick?

You're talking about safeties though, aren't you? Yeah, plenty of 6'2" safeties but the list of corners over 6'0" is Sherman and Browner, no?

I'm assuming you mean Landon Collins at 6'2"?

I'm not really sure about the pick, I'm just here to reply to the hot takes that 2 or 3 people had that a 5'11" corner is overly small to draft and can't cover the big WRs of the North like the 5'11" gigantic Tramon Williams did.

Bern summed it up nicely in his post. Almost every corner in the league is 5'11" or shorter. A few are 6' and 6'1" or taller is a unicorn.

Hayden is 5'11"
Verner is 5'11""
Revis is 5'11"

Tillman was 6'2" and I think that Sherman is. Not sure if anyone else is.

As for my take on the pick. He almost looks like he shies away from hitting hard with his shoulder...is it due to his injury? If he was projected to be a mid first by some I'll give it the benefit of the doubt because corner was a need.
askdavescat
Senior
And1: 43

Post#108 » by askdavescat » Fri May 1, 2015 1:24 pm

I had pretty much just been looking at ILB's and CB's in anticipation of the draft, so I really knew nothing about Randall. After having read all the stuff on him this morning, I'm encouraged. It sounds like he's genuinely fast and has legitimate coverage skills. It also sounds like he has a legit chance of upgrading our kick returns as well.

My hope is that Randall can develop into an outside guy. I know Hayward is a playmaker as well, but I still question whether he has the long speed to play outside (will be happy to be wrong about that). Additionally, Hayward's hamstring issues still concern me as well.

To me, best case scenario will be Randall can become the outside corner along with Shields, and Hayward can stay in the slot.

Now, figure out a way to get McKinney in the 2nd round.
xTitan
RealGM
And1: 2,283

Post#109 » by xTitan » Fri May 1, 2015 1:25 pm

@PFF_Matt: Damarious Randall by alignment in '14
60.5% of snaps at FS
26.5% - slot CB
12.5% - safety within 8 yards of LOS
Just 2 snaps at outside CB

Appears to be at best a slot CB, unless he can make a huge leap to the outside, I really just don't like the fact the Packers have 3 slot cb's (2 proven) and no proven outside cb. Dom' s defenses have really been very bad if you take into account the number of high draft choices spent on them. I guess it comes down to either Ted drafting poorly on defense or Dom and his staffs inability to develop these players, either way it is disappointing.
PkrsBcksGphsMqt
RealGM
And1: 1,417

Post#110 » by PkrsBcksGphsMqt » Fri May 1, 2015 1:25 pm

Bernman wrote:I guess in a perfect world we'd all like a corner who is above 6', but in the real world where players at the position need to be able to change directions suddenly, the median for starters is around 5'11". Tramon was 5'11". Our returning corners of the top 3 are 5'11". Revis stands 5'11". The top cover corner in this draft in Peters is 5'11". Whether this guy can mark huge corners comes down to timing, instincts, physicality, and verticality. His combine #'s partially reflecting those traits were impressive. He ran a 4.46, 4.07 ss, jumped 38 in, and bench pressed a decent 14 times. He's got the potential to be a #1, complete cb, and that's what TT is going for. It's just a risky pick on the surface because of limited proof he can play the position at a high level.

If a lot of those 5'11 corners were taller, they probably would have moved to WR in HS or College. There is a reason why WRs are usually taller than CBs. If you have a kid who is 6'2+, fast, and athletic; you are going to put him on offense.
BucksRuleAll22 wrote:Calvin Johnson is horrible and not a top WR.
msiris
RealGM

Post#111 » by msiris » Fri May 1, 2015 1:26 pm

Ill-yasova wrote:
msiris wrote:I don't like the pick. Is he a better athlete than Kendricks? Kendricks was very productive in college. He made plays as well. The biggest problem the Packers had was they didn't have anyone who made plays at ILB. Looks like Clay will play there again.

Second and third round picks can't be ILB's? Hmmm. But Chris Borland was a third rounder. Bobby Wagner was a second rounder. Karlos Dansby was a second rounder. Sean Lee was a second rounder. Kiko Alonso was a second rounder. NaVorro Bowman was a third rounder and is arguably the best ILB in football.

Pump the brakes buddy.
I am just going off the fact that ILB was projected not to be that deep of a class like last year. Maybe we get lucky. Its not like I am upset about the pick, so there was no need for me to pump the brakes buddy. :roll: :lol:
Ride the tank
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#112 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri May 1, 2015 1:29 pm

PkrsBcksGphsMqt wrote:
Bernman wrote:I guess in a perfect world we'd all like a corner who is above 6', but in the real world where players at the position need to be able to change directions suddenly, the median for starters is around 5'11". Tramon was 5'11". Our returning corners of the top 3 are 5'11". Revis stands 5'11". The top cover corner in this draft in Peters is 5'11". Whether this guy can mark huge corners comes down to timing, instincts, physicality, and verticality. His combine #'s partially reflecting those traits were impressive. He ran a 4.46, 4.07 ss, jumped 38 in, and bench pressed a decent 14 times. He's got the potential to be a #1, complete cb, and that's what TT is going for. It's just a risky pick on the surface because of limited proof he can play the position at a high level.

If a lot of those 5'11 corners were taller, they probably would haven moved to WR in HS or College. There is a reason why WRs are usually taller than CBs. If you have a kid who is 6'2+, fast, and athletic; you are going to put him on offense.

BUT TED SHOULD HAVE FOUND ONE.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#113 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri May 1, 2015 1:30 pm

xTitan wrote:@PFF_Matt: Damarious Randall by alignment in '14
60.5% of snaps at FS
26.5% - slot CB

Appears to be at best a slot CB, unless he can make a huge leap to the outside, I really just don't like the fact the Packers have 3 slot cb's (2 proven) and no proven outside cb. Dom' s defenses have really been very bad if you take into account the number of high draft choices spent on them. I guess it comes down to either Ted drafting poorly on defense or Dom and his staffs inability to develop these players, either way it is disappointing.

I'm guessing that Hayward moves outside probably, right?
Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,552

Post#114 » by Ill-yasova » Fri May 1, 2015 1:32 pm

msiris wrote:
Ill-yasova wrote:

Pump the brakes buddy.
I am just going off the fact that ILB was projected not to be that deep of a class like last year. Maybe we get lucky. Its not like I am upset about the pick, so there was no need for me to pump the brakes buddy. :roll: :lol:

I think that's why RT didn't pick one in the first. Most of the ILBs seem to be projected as second rounders, but we may have to move up to get one we want.
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,169

Post#115 » by RRyder823 » Fri May 1, 2015 1:34 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
Jollay wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:
Yeah, I wanted the 6'5" corner. A real shame.

Give me a break. Collins pushes 6'2". P.J. Williams and Carter's kid are a legit 6'0", although if you like Carter you go ILB first and try to get him in the 2nd. It's perfectly legitimate to say you want a taller corner. Or one that is more polished for a SB contender.

Honest question, are you related to TT? You literally can't take the slightest criticism about him. Ever.

After sleeping on the pick I remain somewhat unenthused. If he's a special teams demon it will help a lot though. MMQB, of course, wish we had known Brown would be there, taken him and used some of the Raji/Guion cash to retain either Williams or House. But the Raji/Guion deals weren't bad, either, so meh.

Now the question is, do one of the top 5 or so ILBs last to the next pick?

You're talking about safeties though, aren't you? Yeah, plenty of 6'2" safeties but the list of corners over 6'0" is Sherman and Browner, no?

I'm not really sure about the pick, I'm just here to reply to the hot takes that 2 or 3 people had that a 5'11" corner is overly small to draft and can't cover the big WRs of the North like the 5'11" gigantic Tramon Williams did.

Bern summed it up nicely in his post. Almost every corner in the league is 5'11" or shorter. A few are 6' and 6'1" or taller is a unicorn.

Hayden is 5'11"
Verner is 5'11""
Revis is 5'11"

As for my take on the pick. He almost looks like he shies away from hitting hard with his shoulder...is it due to injury? If he was projected to be a mid first by some I'll give it the benefit of the doubt because corner was a need.

You forgot Patrick Peterson. He's a pretty good one.

But yeah the height is being vastley overblown. I hate the pick but his height is one of the last things im worried about with the pick.

I said earlier I despise taking a gamble on guys who sky rocket up boards in the first. End of the 2nd or early 3rd? Sure no problem. I can see taking a flyer on guys at those points. In the 1st, even late first, or early 2nd I want guy who has been viewed highly throughout the entire process and didnt just start wowing teams like 2 weeks ago
wichmae
RealGM
And1: 1,031

Post#116 » by wichmae » Fri May 1, 2015 1:44 pm

60.5% of snaps at FS
26.5% - slot CB

I'm confused by the "at best a slot corner" comment. He's never played a single snap in the NFL. I get the undersized knock but there's plenty of players who have shown at that size to be good if not great cover corners. How about we see what he looks like on the field before we make blanket statements.
xTitan
RealGM

Post#117 » by xTitan » Fri May 1, 2015 1:44 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
60.5% of snaps at FS
26.5% - slot CB

I'm guessing that Hayward moves outside probably, right?

I definitely think Hayward gets the first chance outside, but lacks ideal size and speed, and will be a major question, but guessing he will be the guy.
xTitan
RealGM

Post#118 » by xTitan » Fri May 1, 2015 1:48 pm

wichmae wrote:
60.5% of snaps at FS
26.5% - slot CB

I'm confused by the "at best a slot corner" comment. He's never played a single snap in the NFL. I get the undersized knock but there's plenty of players who have shown at that size to be good if not great cover corners. How about we see what he looks like on the field before we make blanket statements.

What blanket statement was made? He had 2 reps at outside corner, so obviously it appears he is a slot corner simply because he has played only slot corner and safety. You are correct, there are plenty of undersized cb's who have become very good NFL cb's, but I am guessing they played cb the majority of the time in college, it's very rare that a college safety switches to corner in the pros, it is usually the other way around.
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 661

Post#119 » by Jollay » Fri May 1, 2015 1:57 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:

Hayden is 5'11"
Verner is 5'11""
Revis is 5'11"

As for my take on the pick. He almost looks like he shies away from hitting hard with his shoulder...is it due to his injury? If he was projected to be a mid first by some I'll give it the benefit of the doubt because corner was a need.

Height isn't a deal-breaker by any means, but it is a factor when you're taking a bit of a hybrid project. I mean Jalen Collins, who is 6'2". He is raw, but excels at man coverage.

Randall is a bit of a project and may not project as a starter ever, but at best a nickel back. If you're going to go raw, which in the first place I don't necessarily endorse for a team pretty close to the Super Bowl and relying entirely on the draft, I think it may have better to go with one of the guys that had better measurables that project purely at corner.

As I said, Collins, Williams, Carter are all at least an inch taller. And I forgot Eric Rowe, who is 6-1. Williams seems to be noticeably faster.

Not upset about the pick, but very wary of it.
glenn
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,151

Post#120 » by glenn » Fri May 1, 2015 1:58 pm

5'11" is not undersized for a corner. What the hell are people talking about?
:reporter:

Return to Green Bay Packers