ImageImage

2016 Off Season - Cook Signs 1 Year Deal

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,371

2016 Off Season - Cook Signs 1 Year Deal 

Post#1 » by M-C-G » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:11 pm

So, thought it might be interesting to get some discussion going on how to improve the team over the off season, discuss free agency, team needs, etc.

Obviously we have lots of guys that are going to test free agency

Andy Mulumba
B.J. Raji
Casey Hayward
Chris Banjo
Don Barclay
James Jones
James Starks
Jared Abbrederis
John Kuhn
Justin Perillo
Lane Taylor
Letroy Guion
Mason Crosby
Michael Neal
Mike Daniels
Nick Perry
Scott Tolzien
Sean Richardson

And obviously our team has been exposed a bit this off season. Personally, I think we need to find two play makers, one on each side of the ball.

On offense we will get Jordy back, but I think we need to make some type of investment at TE or WR. I don't think it wise to solely count on Jordy to be able to stretch the field. Seeing what a guy like Martavis Bryant is doing for Pitts offense has me jealous and I think he was like a 4th round pick. So those deals can be had, and I am just not sure we have that on the roster right now.

On defense, I'm not sure that Clay really moves back to the outside, but with that said we need the biggest impact LB that we can find, whether that is out wide or in the middle.

Lastly, I think I'd like to see Phibin come back as the OC and play caller as I am worried Clements and what we are seeing today is just way too vanilla. It has me thinking the job is too big for him. I know Philbin coached his way out of town, but I always thought we were fairly creative when he was the O.C.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,371

Re: 2016 Off Season Thoughts 

Post#2 » by M-C-G » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:18 pm

As for the FA

Andy Mulumba - On a min for depth
B.J. Raji - 2 year 10M type deal would kind of be my max
Casey Hayward - let him walk, after seeing what House and Tramon got, I'd rather roll with the young guys we have
Chris Banjo - On a min for ST
Don Barclay - On a min for depth or replaced in the draft
James Jones - It was a nice story, but probably don't need him back
James Starks - I think he'll get an offer somewhere else that is more than we should match
Jared Abbrederis - Depends on what we do with our WR group
John Kuhn - Done
Justin Perillo - TBD
Lane Taylor - Done
Letroy Guion - Probably done or brought back cheap
Mason Crosby - Maybe like a 2 year deal?
Michael Neal - I think he'll get overpayed, but I have thought that before
Mike Daniels - #1 off season priority
Nick Perry - Totally dependent on what I see from him rest of the season
Scott Tolzien - Keep him in camp should Hundley get caught with a bunch of cocaine and prostitutes but unlikely to make the roster next year
Sean Richardson - guessing his career is over

If we let Starks walk, I'd really like to find a guy like CJ Spiller, kind of a dedicated guy in the passing game but is capable of making a big play. Maybe that is what they envision for Ty Montgomery but a guy like Woodhead or Sproles where they can get open on every play would just be such a nice add to this team.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,433

Post#3 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:36 pm

Abby signed a 3 year deal so he'll be back (depends on if he can stay on the field of course). I'd like to have Starks back and I don't think he'll be expensive. I definitely don't extend Lacy, let him play his final year and see what happens. Hayward I let go, I really liked him his rookie year but he hasn't shown much this year and we have the two rooks. Daniels will be expensive, I don't know if he's worth it but I also don't know the alternatives to letting him walk. I'd like to bring back Raji but only at a reasonable cost.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,327

Post#4 » by Mags FTW » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:44 pm

There's nobody on that list that I would be upset if we lost.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,673

Post#5 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:02 pm

Both fleener and Allen are free agents and I can't see the Colts paying both of them (might not pay either one). Either guy would be an upgrade at te for the pack and are both at the age where they should be hitting their prime.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
WiscoKing13
RealGM
And1: 1,274

Post#6 » by WiscoKing13 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:30 pm

Mags FTW wrote:There's nobody on that list that I would be upset if we lost.

Need to lock up Daniels, be surprised if they let Mason walk. The rest are easily replaceable.
DanoMac wrote:
bullox wrote:That phone number was an asset to you. You had a direct line to the gm. You've squandered it.

I squandered an asset? Then Hammond taught me well.
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,028

Post#7 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:55 pm

Mags FTW wrote:There's nobody on that list that I would be upset if we lost.

It's awesome and sad at the same time. No big guys but that's still a third of your roster that are free agents but no one we care about keeping.
Jollay
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 661

Post#8 » by Jollay » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:24 pm

Probably going to have to lock up either Perry or Neal, losing both may be too much.
WiscoKing13
RealGM

Post#9 » by WiscoKing13 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:27 pm

Jollay wrote:Probably going to have to lock up either Perry or Neal, losing both may be too much.

Not to mention if Peppers isn't restructured, he's got to be gone.
DanoMac wrote:
bullox wrote:That phone number was an asset to you. You had a direct line to the gm. You've squandered it.

FAH1223
RealGM
And1: 6,970

Post#10 » by FAH1223 » Mon Nov 30, 2015 1:52 am

Daniels is really the only one there that we must keep.

Crosby should also be kept.

No problem keeping Raji at a reasonable cost.

I also wouldn't mind keeping James Jones since we lack depth at WR and he's been a life saver despite the recent struggles.
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,287

Post#11 » by HKPackFan » Tue Dec 1, 2015 8:21 am

M-C-G wrote:As for the FA

Andy Mulumba - On a min for depth
B.J. Raji - 2 year 10M type deal would kind of be my max
Casey Hayward - let him walk, after seeing what House and Tramon got, I'd rather roll with the young guys we have
Chris Banjo - On a min for ST
Don Barclay - On a min for depth or replaced in the draft
James Jones - It was a nice story, but probably don't need him back
James Starks - I think he'll get an offer somewhere else that is more than we should match
Jared Abbrederis - Depends on what we do with our WR group
John Kuhn - Done
Justin Perillo - TBD
Lane Taylor - Done
Letroy Guion - Probably done or brought back cheap
Mason Crosby - Maybe like a 2 year deal?
Michael Neal - I think he'll get overpayed, but I have thought that before
Mike Daniels - #1 off season priority
Nick Perry - Totally dependent on what I see from him rest of the season
Scott Tolzien - Keep him in camp should Hundley get caught with a bunch of cocaine and prostitutes but unlikely to make the roster next year
Sean Richardson - guessing his career is over

If we let Starks walk, I'd really like to find a guy like CJ Spiller, kind of a dedicated guy in the passing game but is capable of making a big play. Maybe that is what they envision for Ty Montgomery but a guy like Woodhead or Sproles where they can get open on every play would just be such a nice add to this team.

I pretty much agree with this. I'd sign Crosby for another few years. Starks probably not too expensive to bring on for another year, but we need to find a good young backup soon. I'm not willing to break the bank on Lacy, between his issues halfway through this season and his size and pounding doesn't seem like a guy who will have a long career. Lacy is a wait and see for me, so I'd want to have some young stud ready next year.

Neal, Perry, Peppers, that's a lot of lose in one year, man we need LBs. Not to mention IMO Palmer and Sam Barrington are barely serviceable. I think their ceilings are bottom 15 starting ILB in the league.

For 2016 we need ILB and some OLBs in the worst way, definitely #1 need. Then second most important need is TE. This may be the worst TE group we've had in the last 15 - 20 years.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,699

Post#12 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Dec 1, 2015 10:01 pm

Re-sign Daniels, Crosby, Starks and one of either Neal or Perry (whoever's cheaper). I'm on the fence with Raji, not sure I offer him more than 2 yrs $10 mil given his inconsistency and past injury history. Hayward is a decent corner, but Shields, Randall, and Rollins make him expendable and not worth the contract he'll likely get.

Anyone else can take the minimum or GTFO.
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,577

Post#13 » by Profound23 » Wed Dec 2, 2015 12:48 am

Unless Daniels it coming back at deep discount, no thank you.
vegaspacker
Analyst
And1: 964

Post#14 » by vegaspacker » Wed Dec 2, 2015 3:45 am

Dwayne Allen is talented peanut brittle TE.... That.is all..
I needs shades for this future thing we owning..... 8-) 8-) 8-)
Flames24Rulz
Head Coach
And1: 343

Post#15 » by Flames24Rulz » Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:55 pm

Bumping this because of the Daniels signing. I think getting Crosby locked up to a 4-5 year deal makes sense. Outside of that disastrous year in 2012 where he nearly lost his job, he's been a top kicker in the league for the majority of his career.

I'd also bring back Raji, Guion and Starks (in that order). One of Neal and Perry should be brought back for depth purposes. You could say the same about Hayward too. I wouldn't expect any of those guys to really get big money from any team, although who knows, seeing the contract that Erik Walden got from the Colts a few years ago in FA.
WiscoKing13
RealGM

Post#16 » by WiscoKing13 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:36 pm

Flames24Rulz wrote:Bumping this because of the Daniels signing. I think getting Crosby locked up to a 4-5 year deal makes sense. Outside of that disastrous year in 2012 where he nearly lost his job, he's been a top kicker in the league for the majority of his career.

I'd also bring back Raji, Guion and Starks (in that order). One of Neal and Perry should be brought back for depth purposes. You could say the same about Hayward too. I wouldn't expect any of those guys to really get big money from any team, although who knows, seeing the contract that Erik Walden got from the Colts a few years ago in FA.

I don't see any reason to bring Guion for over the minimum, he has played well this year and Pennel has been great this year. Starks on the fence with, but something around 3 mil a year for one year wouldn't be bad.
DanoMac wrote:

WiscoKing13
RealGM

Post#17 » by WiscoKing13 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 11:53 pm

Andy Mulumba-Vet min or gone
B.J. Raji-Lock him up, he's came back strong and DT's who eat up blocks don't grow on tree's

Casey Hayward-Most people are writing him off as gone due to the play of Randall and how far Rollins has come along. But Hayward is one hell of a dime corner. If a team like the Jags who over paid for house last year wants to throw big money at him, see ya, but I have no issues paying him 4 to 5 million to play nickel.

Chris Banjo-Vet min or gone, really provides nothing for us outside of ST.

Don Barclay-Vet min or gone, I don't think he'll get any offers the packers would deem crazy but this will have to depend on who we draft since we have nothing behind him on the roster.

James Jones-Can't see him coming back, have to think TT goes for a WR again and won't carry 7 WR.

James Starks-Would pay 2 to 3 million for him to come back, having a great year. If another team wants to pay a 30 year old RB, well its been a great ride neo.

Jared Abbrederis-Why was he on the list? not a FA

John Kuhn-Gone, I'ts been fun kuhn, but 2 FB's on the 53 is pushing it, but 2 on the 46 is absurd. We'll need to use the spot for OLB or TE next year.

Justin Perillo-Peace-Need someone who can stretch the field to complaint R. Rodgers. Really wouldn't have an issue if he's a camp body.

Lane Taylor-He'll be a starter somewhere

Letroy Guion-Took a step back this year after an excellent 2014, got to think with Pennel playing better and Raji likely coming back there's no point other than the minimum.

Mason Crosby-Lock him up and don't ask questions.

Michael Neal-He's had a better year than Perry and been healthier, with the possibility of Peppers/Perry gone, I'd rather bring back Neal.

Nick Perry-Bust, can't stay on the field. If he wants to play for the vet minimum, sure but he can't be counted on and we need fresh blood at that spot.

Scott Tolzien-One more year close to the vet min, if another team wants him go ahead. Hundley is probably one more year away from us being comfortable turning over the 2 spot 2, but no reason to turn Scott away.

Sean Richardson-Career over

Draft

Spots that will be looked at closely in rounds 1-3. RB/TE/OT/WR/DL/(OLB or ILB). Punter obviously in later rounds
DanoMac wrote:

midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,031

Post#18 » by midranger » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:18 am

My thought for the offseason is; team speed. WRs, TEs, RBs, LBs, S. Need faster guys.

Al Davis rant over
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
WiscoKing13
RealGM

Post#19 » by WiscoKing13 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:29 am

midranger wrote:My thought for the offseason is; team speed. WRs, TEs, RBs, LBs, S. Need faster guys.

Al Davis rant over

Janis, Nelson, Montgomery & Cobb, plenty of speed at WR. No idea why S would be on the need list, that's nuts.
DanoMac wrote:

RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 14,963

Post#20 » by RiotPunch » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:43 am

WiscoKing13 wrote:
midranger wrote:My thought for the offseason is; team speed. WRs, TEs, RBs, LBs, S. Need faster guys.

Al Davis rant over

Janis, Nelson, Montgomery & Cobb, plenty of speed at WR. No idea why S would be on the need list, that's nuts.

Can't list Cobb as a "speed" guy anymore. Who knows how Jordy will be coming back. Janis can't seem to earn Aaron's trust. I wouldn't mind adding another guy to stretch the field. I'd certainly prefer a fast, athletic TE though.

At this point, I love Clay on the inside too much to move him back outside. I think we should spend an early pick on a stud edge rusher (or two) and roll with Clay/Ryan on the inside.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis

Return to Green Bay Packers