ImageImage

Badgers Football

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,172
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Re: Badgers Football 

Post#1621 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Apr 2, 2024 1:19 pm

Mags FTW wrote:"See what other schools have to offer".

We've gone from "pay the kids!" to needing a salary cap pretty fast.

It's kinda the same as it ever was, though. The guy going to OSU...would've ended up at OSU for different reasons (or probably the same reasons secretly) 10-20 years ago.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,086

Post#1622 » by MVP2110 » Mon Apr 8, 2024 2:49 pm

So far through the spring practices it seems Van Dyke & Locke have split QB1 reps which is interesting
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1623 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Apr 8, 2024 7:13 pm

MVP2110 wrote:So far through the spring practices it seems Van Dyke & Locke have split QB1 reps which is interesting

I'm not sure what to think of that. I know that Locke has the arm/potential to be something - but I think I saw enough last year that he's so short I'm not sure he's going to be a great QB.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,097

Post#1624 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Apr 8, 2024 8:00 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:So far through the spring practices it seems Van Dyke & Locke have split QB1 reps which is interesting

I'm not sure what to think of that. I know that Locke has the arm/potential to be something - but I think I saw enough last year that he's so short I'm not sure he's going to be a great QB.

I've seen enough of TVD the last three years to know he won't be a great QB.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1625 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Apr 8, 2024 8:04 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:

I've seen enough of TVD the last three years to know he won't be a great QB.

I know we had a very long argument here. He's a top ~30 national QB. The upside beyond that isn't great - but he's a solid starting power conference QB with some NFL arm talent.

It's unlikely that an unopened box that is a younger player exceeds that.

Here's a comparison of their redshirt freshman years:

TVD: 10 games 62% 2931 yards 25 TD 6 INT with 9 Y/A.

Locke: 5 games 50% 777 yards 5 TD 1 INT with 5.5 Y/A

There are variables such as talent around them, but TVD was not throwing to NFL superstars and they went 7-5 at Miami. TVD then had some ups and downs but I'm just trying to illustrate how good TVD was as a freshman and Locke would need to have a monumental leap to catch him.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1626 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Apr 8, 2024 8:17 pm

My guess though is there is "competition" because they are trying to motivate TVD with a competition and keep a solid backup option in-house.

If Locke wins the job, either it's a terrible decision or we've had a QB make a monumental leap into top 25 college football QB.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1627 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Apr 8, 2024 8:28 pm

TVD was a healthy bench on a bad Miami team last season. It would be a huge bummer if Locke doesn't take the job from TVD at some point, because that would mean the Badgers again don't have a QB on the team.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1628 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Apr 8, 2024 8:32 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:TVD was a healthy bench on a bad Miami team last season. It would be a huge bummer if Locke doesn't take the job from TVD at some point, because that would mean the Badgers again don't have a QB on the team.

Locke did show a little something - but going back to the December argument when TVD committed - I think you are vastly underrating how much college backup QBs suck other than high-end prospects that are just on the bench because they're young and on OSU or whatever.

Locke lost to Indiana and couldn't move the ball other than a busted defensive assignment slant play that went to the house. He did have to face some great defenses in half of his games, but his tape so far would not suggest he's a guy that will suddenly be a top-30 QB in the nation next year. He completed 50% of his passes and barely threw the ball downfield.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1629 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Apr 8, 2024 8:40 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:TVD was a healthy bench on a bad Miami team last season. It would be a huge bummer if Locke doesn't take the job from TVD at some point, because that would mean the Badgers again don't have a QB on the team.

Locke did show a little something - but going back to the December argument when TVD committed - I think you are vastly underrating how much college backup QBs suck other than high-end prospects that are just on the bench because they're young and on OSU or whatever.

Locke lost to Indiana and couldn't move the ball other than a busted defensive assignment slant play that went to the house. He did have to face some great defenses in half of his games, but his tape so far would not suggest he's a guy that will suddenly be a top-30 QB in the nation next year. He completed 50% of his passes and barely threw the ball downfield.

I'm not saying Locke is good or will be good. This has nothing to do with Locke. It has everything to do with TVD, someone too many Wisconsin fans are attaching expectations to because at one point some draftniks thought he was NFL caliber. He's not.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1630 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Apr 8, 2024 8:44 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:

I'm not saying Locke is good or will be good. This has nothing to do with Locke. It has everything to do with TVD, someone too many Wisconsin fans are attaching expectations to because at one point some draftniks thought he was NFL caliber. He's not.

Who is attaching expectations? He may have an "NFL arm" or whatever so there's a chance he makes a jump, but I think the rational idea is that he's a known commodity that can start for a power conference team and maybe help it to a very good season if the rest of the roster is right. A Coan or Tolzein type of QB. That is very, very likely better than Locke, which is why they made the move to get him.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,047

Post#1631 » by midranger » Tue Apr 9, 2024 1:20 pm

TVD will be the day 1 starter and I’m hopeful that he’ll be better than our QB play last year.
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1632 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:43 pm

Read on Twitter

Forgot he was on the team.
midranger
RealGM

Post#1633 » by midranger » Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:57 pm

Sounds like Mabrey may have passed him too.

A shame they never got in in some goal line/short yardage package last year.

That blown 1st and goal from the 1 vs OSU comes to mind
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1634 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:18 pm

T.J. Bollers enters the portal.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#1635 » by Kerb Hohl » Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:19 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:T.J. Bollers enters the portal.

Nearing the end of the era where they were apparently shattering through the ceiling of recruiting expectations and said classes ended up getting the coaching staff fired and mostly sucking other than 4-5 guys. Good times. I will always fondly remember the articles of the architect of the new recruiting strategy, Saeed Khalif, who seems to be incredible at getting star talent that drastically underwhelms (see: Wisconsin and MSU).
midranger
RealGM

Post#1636 » by midranger » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:07 am

Offered All-MAC DT CJ West of Kent State in portal. 6’2 315. Could REALLY use him.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1637 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:35 pm

Bat signal.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod