ImageImage

2023 NFL Draft Thread - Round 1 Thursday 7:00 PM

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

LikeABosh
RealGM
And1: 8,637

Re: 2023 NFL Draft Discussion - Bears Trade #1 to Panthers for DJ Moore + 4 Picks 

Post#1081 » by LikeABosh » Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:33 am

MikeIsGood wrote:
nagawicka wrote:
LUKE23 wrote:I'm still going to be surprised if we go TE over WR/Edge/OT at 13. I could see us trading up to land a guy we want late first/early 2nd. The Packers have a ton of needs and TE is really deep this year. It just makes more sense to wait.

It's a really really strong TE class, and a really really weak WR class. Why would we draft a WR and not a TE in the first round? I think we pick one TE at Rd2, one later; it's even more likely we pick two DL/DTs Rd2.

I feel like your thinking is backwards here. If a class is weak, take the strong player while you can; if the class is strong, you're comfortable getting a quality player with a lesser pick.

Yeah, that's my thinking as well. Last year the WR class was really strong so even though you missed out on the first wave of prospects, there was gonna be a sweet spot in the 2nd-3rd rounds where you'd still find a ton of value (Watson, Pickens, Pierce)

If this class is weak then I'd want to jump on the #1 ranked WR if the opportunity is there
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,103

Re: 2023 NFL Draft Discussion - Bears Trade #1 to Panthers for DJ Moore + 4 Picks 

Post#1082 » by MVP2110 » Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:38 am

I think both WR & TEs as a whole are both positions of depth in this draft without top notch talent. JSN is the only WR or TE I'd take at 13, but there are quite a few guys I'd be fine with on day 2

WR: Mingo, Hyatt, Rice, Mims, Michael Wilson, AT Perry

TE: Washington, Laporta, Kincaid, Musgrave, Kraft, Schoonmaker, Kuntz, Strange

Any of those guys on day 2 would be fine picks by me. So if JSN isn't there then I want one of the tackles or Edge rushers and get the pass catchers on day 2
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
stillgotgame
Analyst
And1: 1,963

Post#1083 » by stillgotgame » Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:13 am

Did a 3 round mock that I'd be happy with. JSN was gone at #13 so I traded down a couple times. Picked up a 2nd and 3rd, then moved backup for Benton in the 2nd.

30 Dalton Kincaid TE | Utah
35 Jalin Hyatt WR | Tennessee
42 Jack Campbell LB | Iowa
48 Isaiah Foskey EDGE | Notre Dame
52 Keeanu Benton DL | Wisconsin
78 Sydney Brown S | Illinois
Read on Twitter
?s=20
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,031

Post#1084 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:26 am

I'm sensing trade down.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Daver
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,034

Post#1085 » by Daver » Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:01 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:I'm sensing trade down.

If that wr is there from ohio state at 13 do ypu really pass on him.Theres been talk of him having some justin jefferson traits and look how good he is.Give love some weapons this guy is perfect in the slot
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,272

Post#1086 » by LUKE23 » Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:08 pm

MVP2110 wrote:I think both WR & TEs as a whole are both positions of depth in this draft without top notch talent. JSN is the only WR or TE I'd take at 13, but there are quite a few guys I'd be fine with on day 2

WR: Mingo, Hyatt, Rice, Mims, Michael Wilson, AT Perry

TE: Washington, Laporta, Kincaid, Musgrave, Kraft, Schoonmaker, Kuntz, Strange

Any of those guys on day 2 would be fine picks by me. So if JSN isn't there then I want one of the tackles or Edge rushers and get the pass catchers on day 2

This is exactly where I’m at. Targeting JSN at 13 but I wouldn’t trade up for him. If he’s gone, OT (preferably Johnson) or Edge (Van Ness) or trade down. I think on value alone Witherspoon or Gonzalez would be good picks too if they fell.

I love Kincaid just don’t want to take him at 13. I also wonder if GB took Washington off their board or not for medicals. If not it would be sweet to land him at 42. Kincaid probably doesn’t last until the 2nd.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#1087 » by LUKE23 » Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:10 pm

Also - wouldn’t be a popular pick but I won’t kill them if they take Bijan. He has best RB in NFL upside.
Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#1088 » by Treebeard » Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:18 pm

I've heard this play both ways historically: trades arranged just before the draft starts and not announced till the Commish walks to the podium; or the ad hoc arrangements done during the first round. Which version would you think here?
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,031

Post#1089 » by MickeyDavis » Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:35 pm

Treebeard wrote:

I've heard this play both ways historically: trades arranged just before the draft starts and not announced till the Commish walks to the podium; or the ad hoc arrangements done during the first round. Which version would you think here?

I think it's fluid based on who's on the board.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 21,011

Post#1090 » by Matches Malone » Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:59 pm

I would cry tears of joy if this happened

PROJECTED TEAM: Green Bay
Tyree Wilson
PROSPECT RNK
8th
POSITION RNK
2nd
A fall for one of the draft's top players but he winds up in an incredible situation in Green Bay.
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#1091 » by MVP2110 » Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:05 pm

Matches Malone wrote:I would cry tears of joy if this happened

Tyree Wilson
PROSPECT RNK
8th
POSITION RNK
2nd
A fall for one of the draft's top players but he winds up in an incredible situation in Green Bay.

I am personally extremely low on Wilson, but hypothetically if he was the pick at 13 I couldn't be that mad about it. Although I'd wonder why he fell so much and if my read was accurate lol
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#1092 » by Treebeard » Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:08 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:I would cry tears of joy if this happened

Tyree Wilson
PROSPECT RNK
8th
POSITION RNK
2nd

I am personally extremely low on Wilson, but hypothetically if he was the pick at 13 I couldn't be that mad about it. Although I'd wonder why he fell so much and if my read was accurate lol

In your eval of Wilson, what's the downsides?
Isocleas2
Veteran
And1: 513

Post#1093 » by Isocleas2 » Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:17 pm

As much as the Packers need a TE/Safety I think they pick a premium position in the 1st to maximize that 5th year option. So tackle, edge rusher or WR.

Rebuilding years I usually love trade downs, more shots = more hits assuming you have the patience and roster space to accommodate rookies. When contending I think you rather have vet backups and trade up.

So I'm hoping for a lucrative trade down if none of the top tackles/edge fall.
JimmyTheKid
General Manager
And1: 5,176

Post#1094 » by JimmyTheKid » Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:25 pm

Isocleas2 wrote:As much as the Packers need a TE/Safety I think they pick a premium position in the 1st to maximize that 5th year option. So tackle, edge rusher or WR.

Rebuilding years I usually love trade downs, more shots = more hits assuming you have the patience and roster space to accommodate rookies. When contending I think you rather have vet backups and trade up.

But we're not "rebuilding" are we? I sure hope not.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#1095 » by MVP2110 » Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:34 pm

Treebeard wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:

He's pretty raw as a prospect and as a general rule I don't like "old" prospects in the 1st round. Tyree Wilson will be 23 this season and I think still has a ways to go developmentally. He has a slow 1st step and doesn't have a vast array of pash rush moves. That said hid size and athleticism for the position are ideal which is why a lot of people are very high on him because he has a massive ceiling, I just don't trust him to get there
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#1096 » by MVP2110 » Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:35 pm

JimmyTheKid wrote:
Isocleas2 wrote:As much as the Packers need a TE/Safety I think they pick a premium position in the 1st to maximize that 5th year option. So tackle, edge rusher or WR.

But we're not "rebuilding" are we? I sure hope not.

Not sure rebuilding is the correct term but the next 2 years are definitely a reset of sorts. 2025 is when our cap is mostly clear so that's the year we should be building towards. I don't think we'll bottom out these next two years but I also wouldn't expect us to be true contenders either. Maybe we can win a weak division or sneak into the last Wildcard spot
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 21,011

Post#1097 » by Matches Malone » Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:47 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
Treebeard wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:

He has a slow 1st step and doesn't have a vast array of pash rush moves.

Not sure his slow 1st step is much of an issue as it is more technique. He's not the quickest, but he's got the ability to read the defense and make a powerful move for instant pressure. He's overall a strong player but blends some finesse in his gameplay. Having a 58.8% pass rush win rate and a 41 pressure rate I think plays at the next level. Maybe he doesn't become a star, but I think he'll be very solid.
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#1098 » by MVP2110 » Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:56 pm

Matches Malone wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:
Treebeard wrote:

He has a slow 1st step and doesn't have a vast array of pash rush moves.

Not sure his slow 1st step is much of an issue as it is more technique. He's not the quickest, but he's got the ability to read the defense and make a powerful move for instant pressure. He's overall a strong player but blends some finesse in his gameplay. Having a 58.8% pass rush win rate and a 41 pressure rate I think plays at the next level. Maybe he doesn't become a star, but I think he'll be very solid.

I think solid but not a star is a good way to put it, I don't see him ever really blossoming into a star which is why I have him with a r2 grade. At 13 I'm looking for someone who can be dynamic, a game changer if you will and I don't see that with Wilson
PintSizedBox10
Head Coach
And1: 3,233

Post#1099 » by PintSizedBox10 » Wed Apr 26, 2023 2:57 pm

LUKE23 wrote:Also - wouldn’t be a popular pick but I won’t kill them if they take Bijan. He has best RB in NFL upside.

At 13?? I'd be leading the March to Green Bay to arrest Gute and co. if that happened.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#1100 » by LUKE23 » Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:19 pm

Rodgers contract forced GB to push cap down the road to keep an “all in” team together. This, unsurprisingly, leads to cap casualties and a rough cap situation. If you don’t want to call it rebuild, then re-tool is fine. Thankfully most of the guys they lost (Tonyan, Lazard, Cobb, Amos, Lowry, Reed, Lewis, etc) aren’t star caliber players. But it did hurt our depth and they still had some holes to begin with.

They need to hit on the top 3 picks in each of the next two drafts in addition to Love being legit.

Return to Green Bay Packers