ImageImage

ATL - 2023 Offseason: Gambing Suspensions

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,176
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Re: ATL - 2023 Offseason: Eagles Sign Hurts to Massive Extension 

Post#1961 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:56 pm

I am kind of in the "cop" category here that while it seems drastic and I understand the, "well the league is in bed with gambling companies now" - it has to be harsh in most cases.

The entire point is that players are gonna see more money because of the gambling contracts and any hint that the game is illegitimate means the gambling money for the league becomes dicey.

Obviously the stuff where a guy bets on MLB from team facility...yeah, I mean that is nuanced and kinda sucks.
sdn40
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,418

Post#1962 » by sdn40 » Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:58 pm

Lions making the bold statement by cutting Cephus but not Jameson LOL
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,684

Post#1963 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:34 pm

I have zero sympathy for the guys popped for betting NFL games. It's such an obvious and long standing rule you just can't break it.

I have a little sympathy for the guys betting on other sports. Seems a little harsh but as long as guys were clear on the rule about team facilities it's seems like a pretty simple thing to avoid so it's dumb to get popped for that.

Read on Twitter
?t=-oH9TBTnsMShSNrZP_rlGA&s=19

Tweets like this annoy me, let's not pretend the players are victims here. They all make more money because of the gambling sponsorships. With that comes rules. This dude needs to grow up and understand how business works.

Also media members need to realize gambling is a HUGE reason the NFL is so popular, even before it was legal. And if it wasn't so popular of a sport they probably wouldn't have jobs.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,390

Post#1964 » by M-C-G » Fri Apr 21, 2023 4:51 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:I have zero sympathy for the guys popped for betting NFL games. It's such an obvious and long standing rule you just can't break it.

I have a little sympathy for the guys betting on other sports. Seems a little harsh but as long as guys were clear on the rule about team facilities it's seems like a pretty simple thing to avoid so it's dumb to get popped for that.

Read on Twitter

Tweets like this annoy me, let's not pretend the players are victims here. They all make more money because of the gambling sponsorships. With that comes rules. This dude needs to grow up and understand how business works.

And I believe that the NFL has a rookie orientation that players have to attend. I have to believe that is covered.
jute2003
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,356

Post#1965 » by jute2003 » Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:40 pm

M-C-G wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:I have zero sympathy for the guys popped for betting NFL games. It's such an obvious and long standing rule you just can't break it.

Read on Twitter

And I believe that the NFL has a rookie orientation that players have to attend. I have to believe that is covered.
I have no sympathy at all for these guys. It's such an easy rule to follow.
only a fan, only an opinion
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,176
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#1966 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri Apr 21, 2023 5:58 pm

sdn40 wrote:Lions making the bold statement by cutting Cephus but not Jameson LOL

Seems as though Williams' infraction was much more minor, though. He bet on a different sport (legal) but did it on team property (illegal). A lot of the other guys bet on NFL.

Return to Green Bay Packers