GT: Bucky at Huskers - 11:00 - ESPN

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,758

Re: GT: Bucky at Huskers - 11:00 - ESPN 

Post#81 » by MikeIsGood » Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:48 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:Good. I don't know if it's just caught in bureaucratics or what, but if it's a foregone conclusion that he's going to get it, just give it to him now. It's best for the short- and mid-term health of the program.

If it's not all but done, then by all means don't. I just truly mean if they're set on giving it to him they should not wait.

Public school has to post the job first. Leonard is getting the gig but they have to follow that procedure. It's been that way for other handpicked coaches like Gard and Bielema. It's a formality.

It will be interesting to see what changes, if any, he makes.

Of course - been that way forever. But the job's been open for nearly two months now and the job just got posted.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,045

Post#82 » by MickeyDavis » Sun Nov 20, 2022 3:57 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:Good. I don't know if it's just caught in bureaucratics or what, but if it's a foregone conclusion that he's going to get it, just give it to him now. It's best for the short- and mid-term health of the program.

If it's not all but done, then by all means don't. I just truly mean if they're set on giving it to him they should not wait.

Public school has to post the job first. Leonard is getting the gig but they have to follow that procedure. It's been that way for other handpicked coaches like Gard and Bielema. It's a formality.

It will be interesting to see what changes, if any, he makes.

Of course - been that way forever. But the job's been open for nearly two months now and the job just got posted.

Yeah not sure why they waited.

There's a 7 day window for people to apply and then they can move. So expect Leonard to be announced next Saturday.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
LittleRooster
General Manager
And1: 3,121

Post#83 » by LittleRooster » Sun Nov 20, 2022 4:13 pm

I’m good with Leonard. McIntosh also said he was going to conduct a national search, so I’m surprised he didn’t also do that and then still go with Leonard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,174
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#84 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:33 pm

I'm pretty sure to cover their tracks, they had to go through the "search committee" and have some backup options just in case. Magically, the search committee came up with Jim Leonhard as their choice.

If you hire Leonhard a month ago, if somebody wants to, there's pretty good evidence that Chryst was fired for Leonhard and nobody else even got a call.

And there was almost nothing to lose here waiting a bit to conduct the search and/or let him "prove himself," which I'm not even sure he had to do.

3 recruits decommitted over the past 2-3 weeks, but there is a potentially noted reason all of them did (i.e. one of them got a Michigan offer he was waiting for). I believe all of them are still available and are "considering Wisconsin" so if they truly didn't decommit for other reasons, they now have 3 weeks to commit back to the staff they apparently wanted. Something tells me they won't, and something also tells me it's not the end of the world even if it was due to the coaching change and they turn into JJ Watt. The program direction under Leonhard will hinge on more than just 3 replaceable recruits.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#85 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:35 pm

LittleRooster wrote:I’m good with Leonard. McIntosh also said he was going to conduct a national search, so I’m surprised he didn’t also do that and then still go with Leonard

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There was a video yesterday about the process from FootballScoop. They did conduct a search. They were cryptic on the names, but it sounded like Leipold, Doern, Aranda might've been the names they called. Maybe Ruhle. I still think the, "they had to beat Iowa or instead beat Nebraska to 'earn' the offer" is PR fluff from the AD to act as if it was not a foregone conclusion. If they lost out, as long as it wasn't embarrassing, I'm guessing they'd have buried the hire/posting a few days after losing to Minnesota.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#86 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:17 pm

sdn40 wrote:Leonhard is the correct and safe choice for a number of reasons (some reasons better than others).
The big question I have, is will he embrace an offense that is forward thinking ? Many head coaches with a background on defense will be very conservative on the offensive side of the ball.

I always used to understand taking a pocket QB 10-20 years ago because back then, if you weren't an absolute powerhouse or lucky, when you would go for a mobile one, you'd end up with Tanner McEvoy, Curt Phillips, or DJ Gillins most of the time that can't throw. There are so many of them now, it needs to be embraced, because you should be able to find a guy that can do both. He's at least saying the right things:

Read on Twitter
?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Etweet
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 3,004

Post#87 » by BUCKnation » Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:21 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
sdn40 wrote:Leonhard is the correct and safe choice for a number of reasons (some reasons better than others).
The big question I have, is will he embrace an offense that is forward thinking ? Many head coaches with a background on defense will be very conservative on the offensive side of the ball.

I always used to understand taking a pocket QB 10-20 years ago because back then, if you weren't an absolute powerhouse or lucky, when you would go for a mobile one, you'd end up with Tanner McEvoy, Curt Phillips, or DJ Gillins most of the time that can't throw. There are so many of them now, it needs to be embraced, because you should be able to find a guy that can do both. He's at least saying the right things:

Read on Twitter

You have some NFL teams running pretty good offenses with QBs who cant really throw (chicago). Obviously Lamar is next level, but a power offense like they ran during his mvp year could work really well here.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#88 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:42 pm

BUCKnation wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:

Read on Twitter

You have some NFL teams running pretty good offenses with QBs who cant really throw (chicago). Obviously Lamar is next level, but a power offense like they ran during his mvp year could work really well here.

I agree, here's my one hesitation:

In the QB transfer era, it's going to be unlikely that the Badgers have much at backup QB. Maybe they can always keep like a stay-home walk on that is just a battering ram QB that can maybe beat Northwestern if we need to and also another guy that is "the next guy" as a true freshman.

A QB running game can lead to injury and torpedo a season when you have to turn to Chase Wolf (who I also understand can kind of run) but sucks enough that you're not going to win many games. Mertz has been hit a lot due to game flow, but still after some concern of losing Wolf and having no depth, stayed healthy because the OL is solid at pass blocking and he doesn't take a ton of hits.

That said, it's a risk probably worth taking. Just noting we're seeing it with Fields already.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,897

Post#89 » by coolhandluke121 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 6:45 pm

Bring back the glory that this guy embodied:

Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
sdn40
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,418

Post#90 » by sdn40 » Tue Nov 22, 2022 8:46 pm

What Leonhard said is open ended IMO. Is he talking about a mobile QB or a running QB ?
That said, give me the pocket passer every day of the week. The generational running QB has been the future of football for 20 years, but the reality never matches the vision.
TroyD92
RealGM
And1: 10,841

Post#91 » by TroyD92 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 2:10 pm

sdn40 wrote:What Leonhard said is open ended IMO. Is he talking about a mobile QB or a running QB ?
That said, give me the pocket passer every day of the week. The generational running QB has been the future of football for 20 years, but the reality never matches the vision.

I'll take either at wisconsin as long as they are a little better than mediocre.
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

Kidd would have curb stomped him.

Maybe if his name was Denise instead of Dennis.

Fotis St wrote:Wherever you are David, I love you man.

Return to Green Bay Packers