ImageImage

Jordan Love Thread - All Aboard the Love Train

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,272

Re: Jordan Love Thread - All Aboard the Love Train 

Post#61 » by LUKE23 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:57 pm

stillgotgame wrote:Love has a lot at stake with the timing of Rodgers trade. $20.27M to be exact.

The chances of him not getting the 5th year option picked up is basically zero.
stillgotgame
Analyst
And1: 1,974

Post#62 » by stillgotgame » Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:00 pm

LUKE23 wrote:
stillgotgame wrote:Love has a lot at stake with the timing of Rodgers trade. $20.27M to be exact.

Do you think we exercise it if Rodgers isn't gone by May 1?

More motivation for us to get this done. Let's move on.
Read on Twitter
?s=20
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#63 » by LUKE23 » Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:03 pm

stillgotgame wrote:
LUKE23 wrote:

Do you think we exercise it if Rodgers isn't gone by May 1?

More motivation for us to get this done. Let's move on.

Rodgers will be gone by the draft.
Carioca
Ballboy
And1: 14

Post#64 » by Carioca » Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:21 pm

They'll exercise his fifth-year option, and if he's any good Love may end up getting an extension before the end of the year.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,251

Post#65 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:24 pm

I'm not sure there's a reason to pick up Love's option. If he's bad and the team is bad they'll probably select his replacement. If he's good they'll give him an extension.
Carioca
Ballboy

Post#66 » by Carioca » Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:37 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:I'm not sure there's a reason to pick up Love's option. If he's bad and the team is bad they'll probably select his replacement. If he's good they'll give him an extension.

The fifth-year option has to be picked up in May, or else he's a free agent next year. If he's bad and they draft his replacement, he's still likely to play as a bridge QB in 2024. Rodgers was already in his fourth year when he first started, so there is a bit of a difference, but he got his extension about halfway through that first season in 2008.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#67 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:41 pm

Carioca wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:I'm not sure there's a reason to pick up Love's option. If he's bad and the team is bad they'll probably select his replacement. If he's good they'll give him an extension.

The fifth-year option has to be picked up in May, or else he's a free agent next year. If he's bad and they draft his replacement, he's still likely to play as a bridge QB in 2024. Rodgers was already in his fourth year when he first started, so there is a bit of a difference, but he got his extension about halfway through that first season in 2008.

Yea, that's my point. If they like and believe in Love they won't get to his 5th year on the rookie deal. He'll get extended. And if he's bad, $20 million is way too much to pay for a bridge QB.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#68 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:42 pm

For the record, like I said earlier, I think he's gonna be really good.
stillgotgame
Analyst

Post#69 » by stillgotgame » Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:55 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Carioca wrote:

Yea, that's my point. If they like and believe in Love they won't get to his 5th year on the rookie deal. He'll get extended. And if he's bad, $20 million is way too much to pay for a bridge QB.

If he's good $20M will be a bargain. Going rate for a good QB starts at $40M per.
If he's bad $20M in cap space won't matter anyways, we'll be rebuilding.

Read on Twitter
?s=20
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#70 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:58 pm

stillgotgame wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
Carioca wrote:

If he's good $20M will be a bargain. Going rate for a good QB starts at $40M per.

Look at what the Giants did with Jones. Didn't pick up the 5th, he played well enough for them to commit to him for the next four years.

In 2023, Jones will earn a base salary of $9,500,000, a signing bonus of $36,000,000 and a workout bonus of $500,000, while carrying a cap hit of $21,000,000 and a dead cap value of $82,000,000.

That's the move with Love if he's good.
stillgotgame
Analyst

Post#71 » by stillgotgame » Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:05 am

ReasonablySober wrote:
stillgotgame wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

Look at what the Giants did with Jones. Didn't pick up the 5th, he played well enough for them to commit to him for the next four years.

In 2023, Jones will earn a base salary of $9,500,000, a signing bonus of $36,000,000 and a workout bonus of $500,000, while carrying a cap hit of $21,000,000 and a dead cap value of $82,000,000.

The cap hit is about the same for the 1st year. They added $20M of dead cap to future years though. Bad cycle to stay in.
Love's dead cap after his 5th year option is zero.

Read on Twitter
?s=20
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#72 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:13 am

stillgotgame wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
stillgotgame wrote:

The cap hit is about the same for the 1st year. They added $20M of dead cap to future years though. Bad cycle to stay in.
Love's dead cap after his 5th year option is zero.

Yes, because they like him. I don't know why this is such a hard concept to grasp. If the Packers like Love, they'll extend him and the amount in that first year would be the same as if they picked up the option. But if he's bad they owe literally nothing and they'll draft his replacement.
LUKE23
RealGM

Post#73 » by LUKE23 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:19 am

The only part I disagree with is that they would give up on him after one year, unless Love was horrendous, or they had a shot at Williams, or both.
Frank Nova
Head Coach
And1: 2,599

Post#74 » by Frank Nova » Sat Mar 18, 2023 12:33 am

If Love is really bad enough to have a shot at Caleb Williams, that should cost Gute and MLF their jobs no questions asked. They shouldn’t even make it through the season if we stink that bad we’re headed towards the #1 pick…. That would be an absolute joke.
RIP Kobe Forever. GOAT 8-24. Long Live Giannis
Carioca
Ballboy

Post#75 » by Carioca » Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:18 am

Frank Nova wrote:If Love is really bad enough to have a shot at Caleb Williams, that should cost Gute and MLF their jobs no questions asked. They shouldn’t even make it through the season if we stink that bad we’re headed towards the #1 pick…. That would be an absolute joke.

There is no way they're going to fire MLF and Gutey after one year of transition--my guess, as someone said previously, is that they'll both get at least three years. The Packers have never been a hair-trigger organization since Ron Wolf got here, Ray Rhodes being the lone exception.

Pack starts hiring/firing coaches on a two-year cycle, it's going to get bleak until we find another Wolf/Thompson.
Frank Nova
Head Coach
And1: 2,599

Post#76 » by Frank Nova » Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:14 am

Carioca wrote:
Frank Nova wrote:If Love is really bad enough to have a shot at Caleb Williams, that should cost Gute and MLF their jobs no questions asked. They shouldn’t even make it through the season if we stink that bad we’re headed towards the #1 pick…. That would be an absolute joke.

There is no way they're going to fire MLF and Gutey after one year of transition--my guess, as someone said previously, is that they'll both get at least three years. The Packers have never been a hair-trigger organization since Ron Wolf got here, Ray Rhodes being the lone exception.

Pack starts hiring/firing coaches on a two-year cycle, it's going to get bleak until we find another Wolf/Thompson.

A 2yr cycle is fine if there’s any semblance of progression. We are talking about the Packers being the worst team in the league next year and drafting Caleb Williams to replace
Jordan Love already. If that were to happen, that will be unacceptable on every metric level of competence imaginable. Gutenkist will have wasted the entire 2020 draft, ruined our cap by handing Rodgers a poison pill contract for the past 2 seasons and then tanked his way to completely hitting another reset button? And he should be allowed to earn a paycheck for that? Nah, that’s BS, that is his 3yr window.. You kick him in the pants on his way out the door and tell him thanks for nothing moron. Idk what you do for a living but I know if I was that bad at my job, my boss would have no problem doing that to me for the better of the business.

I realize this is hypothetical and I wouldn’t even be mad at the opportunity to draft Caleb Williams, he looks like a real franchise QB. However, this FO would not under any circumstance deserve the opportunity to see that unfold..
RIP Kobe Forever. GOAT 8-24. Long Live Giannis
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,343

Post#77 » by Mags FTW » Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:26 am

ReasonablySober wrote:For the record, like I said earlier, I think he's gonna be really good.

Would you put him ahead of J.P. Losman? :lol:
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#78 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:55 am

Mags FTW wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:For the record, like I said earlier, I think he's gonna be really good.

Would you put him ahead of J.P. Losman? :lol:

HE COULD THROW THE BALL OVER THE POSTS FROM HIS KNEES.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,684

Post#79 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sat Mar 18, 2023 2:55 pm

Frank Nova wrote:
Carioca wrote:

A 2yr cycle is fine if there’s any semblance of progression. We are talking about the Packers being the worst team in the league next year and drafting Caleb Williams to replace
Jordan Love already. If that were to happen, that will be unacceptable on every metric level of competence imaginable. Gutenkist will have wasted the entire 2020 draft, ruined our cap by handing Rodgers a poison pill contract for the past 2 seasons and then tanked his way to completely hitting another reset button? And he should be allowed to earn a paycheck for that? Nah, that’s BS, that is his 3yr window.. You kick him in the pants on his way out the door and tell him thanks for nothing moron. Idk what you do for a living but I know if I was that bad at my job, my boss would have no problem doing that to me for the better of the business.

I realize this is hypothetical and I wouldn’t even be mad at the opportunity to draft Caleb Williams, he looks like a real franchise QB. However, this FO would not under any circumstance deserve the opportunity to see that unfold..
Totally agree. It's very likely a 2 yr window unless it's just horrific next year.

The real tricky scenario is Love looks decent early then gets hurt and the season goes to hell. That would lead to some really hard decisions with not a lot of information to make said decision.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Carioca
Ballboy

Post#80 » by Carioca » Sat Mar 18, 2023 4:31 pm

When I say two-year cycle, I mean the firing of a coach after only two seasons on the job. That cycle is unacceptable and would be a harbinger of internal organizational chaos. Imagine if the Bengals had pulled the plug on Zac Taylor after one year?

Even if the Packers are horrific next year, they're not pulling the plug on Gutey and MLF after one year of transition. And if Love shows anything, gets hurt and they end up with the first pick, they'll do the same thing the Bears did this year and trade (but hopefully get more, I don't think the Bears package was all that great).

Drake Maye will be a better pro than Caleb Williams anyway!

Return to Green Bay Packers