WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,673

Re: Jordan Love Thread - All Aboard the Love Train 

Post#781 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Jan 10, 2024 11:52 pm

RRyder823 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:
Louder for the people in the back aka a large segment of this board that did nothing but use this absurd narrative as a means to label it a dumb pick cuz "Something something timelines". On an organizational level, you couldn't ask for a better outcome than this. If the arrow keeps pointing up, our "rough transition period" between eras was basically one 8-9 season of mediocre football. Pretty incredible.
Did it hurt CJ Stoud to play this year? Also Love sure seemed to get better the more he you know actually played football this year. For all we know if he starts earlier maybe he wins an MVP already and the Packers are SB favorites.

Now I will conceded that very specific for Love and 2020 I think that would have been a particularly hard year to start from day 1 although Burrow has been pretty damn good so maybe I'm overstating even that aspect.

Sent from my SM-F731U using RealGM mobile app
For every Stroud there's about 4 Fields that aren't given a chance to gain confidence in a system and/or rework theit mechanics.

I'll flat out say had Rodgers been thrown to the fire he never becomes MVP Rodgers and when you look at Love I see much of the same.

When your building up mechanics in a player and they're forced to play the moment they get pressed many end up reverting back to the original way they did things and it can make the gains made in practice irrelevant if they haven't become second nature to them yet. We see that in Love with how his foot work has a habit of going to hell and reverting back to his college ways in certain situations.

Some players can work through these issues while playing. That's undeniable. It also shouldn't be denied there's a ton of QBs that have been absolutely ruined and discarded because they were forced into playing before they should have

Sent from my SM-S918U using RealGM mobile app
I'm not sure the footwork thing is a good example of Love being helped by sitting since its still an issue after 3 years of working on it.

I think the major advantage of sitting is command of the playbook something Love seems to have down well.

Overall I think player development is one of those topics that's easy to argue but impossible to prove because you can't redo it for anyone. So we point at success and failure and use it as examples of why whatever we believe is right when we really don't know.

I think most QB prospects fail because it's a really hard position and most who fail would fail no matter how you develop them.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,379

Post#782 » by M-C-G » Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:14 am

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:
LUKE23 wrote:Really good discussion this morning on Wilde & Tauscher about the obsession of trying to build a contender while a QB is on a rookie contract. The main point was that so few QB are ready from day 1 to walk into an organization and turn it into a winning one without development. And additionally, there are many cases where throwing guys out there too early ruined their career and/or sent the organization another direction within a couple years. Bears are likely going to have to move onto young QB #3 in seven seasons.

I fully believe had they thrown Love out in year 1 or year 2 he would have been a disaster, and then who knows where we end up. Obviously, team situation factors in, as does coaching, but it sure seems like the Packers have it down. Will it be more challenging once Love extends? Yes. But the way we hammer the draft and have a high hit percentage, we can definitely do it.

Louder for the people in the back aka a large segment of this board that did nothing but use this absurd narrative as a means to label it a dumb pick cuz "Something something timelines". On an organizational level, you couldn't ask for a better outcome than this. If the arrow keeps pointing up, our "rough transition period" between eras was basically one 8-9 season of mediocre football. Pretty incredible.
Did it hurt CJ Stoud to play this year? Also Love sure seemed to get better the more he you know actually played football this year. For all we know if he starts earlier maybe he wins an MVP already and the Packers are SB favorites.

Now I will conceded that very specific for Love and 2020 I think that would have been a particularly hard year to start from day 1 although Burrow has been pretty damn good so maybe I'm overstating even that aspect.

Some people are anomalies. We were told Love was a project QB that needed ‘a few years to develop’

Stroud was at a much bigger program with way more NFL talent and went much higher in the draft as I recall.

10 to 15 years ago it was the standard to sit a rookie 2 or 3 years and I think there were good reasons for it. I’d suspect if you isolated QBs drafted top 10, you’d find sitting is better but that’s just my guess.

For back half of 1st round or later, I’d bet the evidence supports more development prior to playing yields better results but just my gut feel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,171

Post#783 » by RRyder823 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:00 am

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:Did it hurt CJ Stoud to play this year? Also Love sure seemed to get better the more he you know actually played football this year. For all we know if he starts earlier maybe he wins an MVP already and the Packers are SB favorites.

For every Stroud there's about 4 Fields that aren't given a chance to gain confidence in a system and/or rework theit mechanics.

I'll flat out say had Rodgers been thrown to the fire he never becomes MVP Rodgers and when you look at Love I see much of the same.

When your building up mechanics in a player and they're forced to play the moment they get pressed many end up reverting back to the original way they did things and it can make the gains made in practice irrelevant if they haven't become second nature to them yet. We see that in Love with how his foot work has a habit of going to hell and reverting back to his college ways in certain situations.

Some players can work through these issues while playing. That's undeniable. It also shouldn't be denied there's a ton of QBs that have been absolutely ruined and discarded because they were forced into playing before they should have

I'm not sure the footwork thing is a good example of Love being helped by sitting since its still an issue after 3 years of working on it.

I think the major advantage of sitting is command of the playbook something Love seems to have down well.

Overall I think player development is one of those topics that's easy to argue but impossible to prove because you can't redo it for anyone
. So we point at success and failure and use it as examples of why whatever we believe is right when we really don't know.

I think most QB prospects fail because it's a really hard position and most who fail would fail no matter how you develop them.

This is a fair point

We simply disagree on your last paragraph. I believe situation (and everything that entails) is incredibly important and absolutely effects development where players can be ruined or boosted by their environment.

But oh well. We simply have different philosophies.

RubberSoul
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,823

Post#784 » by RubberSoul » Thu Jan 11, 2024 3:44 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=42&t=zhUOjMa7yaQ5AFYPVKrqFA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,684

Post#785 » by MikeIsGood » Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:40 pm

Cute, but I couldn't stand listening to more than about 2 lines.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,066

Post#786 » by MVP2110 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:13 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=Xfsafm__v9Xvj86ICArMaw&s=19
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,686

Post#787 » by Matches Malone » Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:54 pm

Read on Twitter
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,748

Post#788 » by Treebeard » Fri Jan 12, 2024 5:08 pm

Matches Malone wrote:
Read on Twitter

Even more impressive considering the rockier early games for Love.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,077

Post#789 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Jan 12, 2024 10:56 pm

Read on Twitter
ColeWorld23
Sixth Man
And1: 683

Post#790 » by ColeWorld23 » Sat Jan 13, 2024 12:38 am

ReasonablySober wrote:
Read on Twitter

Great guy!
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,706

Post#791 » by Ron Swanson » Sat Jan 13, 2024 2:44 am

Dude is on a Giannis level trajectory of endearing himself to the state of Wisconsin.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,034

Post#792 » by midranger » Sat Jan 13, 2024 3:04 am

Please reconsider your animal consumption.
rilamann
RealGM
And1: 13,312

Post#793 » by rilamann » Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:12 am

Leading the Packers to the playoffs, helping Wisconsin residents out of snowy ditches. This guy is incredible.
Giannis Antetokounmpo wrote:You're out here reffing like Marc Davis and ****
LikeABosh
RealGM
And1: 8,634

Post#794 » by LikeABosh » Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:30 am

Treebeard wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:
Read on Twitter

It's only for weeks 9-18
MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Post#795 » by MoMM » Sat Jan 13, 2024 11:10 am

LikeABosh wrote:
Treebeard wrote:
Matches Malone wrote:
Read on Twitter

It's only for weeks 9-18

Notice to how bad Young is, even with the monster game against us :lol:
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#796 » by MVP2110 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 2:03 am

Read on Twitter
?t=dRaYAh_bKw09ogFvtpSW6w&s=19
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,706

Post#797 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:08 am

I mean, we have to lock him up this offseason right? How much more expensive does he get with another full season under his belt?
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#798 » by MVP2110 » Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:22 am

Ron Swanson wrote:I mean, we have to lock him up this offseason right? How much more expensive does he get with another full season under his belt?

Absolutely. He's the long term guy, you don't mess around with that and risk letting him hit Free Agency
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,686

Post#799 » by Matches Malone » Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:24 am

Read on Twitter
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,780

Post#800 » by Ayt » Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:59 am

Ron Swanson wrote:I mean, we have to lock him up this offseason right? How much more expensive does he get with another full season under his belt?

LMAO

Return to Green Bay Packers