ATL - Week 17

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,522

ATL - Week 17 

Post#1 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:50 pm

Bad timing to hit the limit with the gambling stuff going on but here we are.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,594

Re: ATL - Gambling Suspensions 

Post#2 » by Profound23 » Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:02 pm

I am at least calling the Lions to see if they will take our 2023 second round pick for Jameson.

I know, I am a glutton for punishment....but I love his talent.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,172
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#3 » by Kerb Hohl » Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:15 pm

TroyD92 wrote:Jamo getting six games for betting on a college football game inside of the facility is one of the dumbest things I’ve heard in regards to sports. League/NCAA literally broadcast fandual/betting constantly. Now you get mad when young impressionable people do just that? NFL, NBA, etc are such a joke

If I place a bet from a work device, I get fired.

I do get that it's a flimsy rationale for a rule of "don't bet on team property" if it's other sports, I get that.

However, in general, I just don't really agree with the "the leagues are in bed with gambling companies! Why suspend?"

Because for the owners and players to get the waterfall of money from DraftKings, they have to have a sport that people want to bet on. The one thing that will ruin that is insider trading.

I used to be into daily fantasy (don't have time for it anymore) but when the reports came out of all of the DK/FD people betting on their own or competing website with insider information, I quit immediately. That has now probably been cleaned up (with harsh rules) but you get the idea.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,675

Post#4 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:25 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
TroyD92 wrote:Jamo getting six games for betting on a college football game inside of the facility is one of the dumbest things I’ve heard in regards to sports. League/NCAA literally broadcast fandual/betting constantly. Now you get mad when young impressionable people do just that? NFL, NBA, etc are such a joke

I do get that it's a flimsy rationale for a rule of "don't bet on team property" if it's other sports, I get that.

However, in general, I just don't really agree with the "the leagues are in bed with gambling companies! Why suspend?"

Because for the owners and players to get the waterfall of money from DraftKings, they have to have a sport that people want to bet on. The one thing that will ruin that is insider trading.

I used to be into daily fantasy (don't have time for it anymore) but when the reports came out of all of the DK/FD people betting on their own or competing website with insider information, I quit immediately. That has now probably been cleaned up (with harsh rules) but you get the idea.
I feel there are fans and some media who simply don't get that a professional sports league is an entertainment company. Everyone involved goal is to make the most money possible. That's it, that's the whole purpose.

So you will have policies and rules in place to protect that revenue. If you don't like the rules you can not work for the league, plenty of people will be there to take your spot.

It's also when we see **** like 'the draft is unfair' or 'this CBA rule is too restrictive'. Like OK, if we do away with that then you'll have 10+ teams be completely unviable and if you only have 20 franchises everyone makes less money.

Or complaining a player has to do media because what does that have to do with football. Nothing, but the NFL is about drawing interest from fans so they can make money off them and so media that fans watch is part of this.

Pro sports are not some sacred competition to crown a yearly champion. That's just a by product. They exist to make money.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
TroyD92
RealGM
And1: 10,745

Post#5 » by TroyD92 » Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:31 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:

I feel there are fans and some media who simply don't get that a professional sports league is an entertainment company. Everyone involved goal is to make the most money possible. That's it, that's the whole purpose.

So you will have policies and rules in place to protect that revenue. If you don't like the rules you can not work for the league, plenty of people will be there to take your spot.

It's also when we see **** like 'the draft is unfair' or 'this CBA rule is too restrictive'. Like OK, if we do away with that then you'll have 10+ teams be completely unviable and if you only have 20 franchises everyone makes less money.

Or complaining a player has to do media because what does that have to do with football. Nothing, but the NFL is about drawing interest from fans so they can make money off them and so media that fans watch is part of this.

Pro sports are not some sacred competition to crown a yearly champion. That's just a by product. They exist to make money.

I understand that fully. You don’t think it’s idiotic that he could literally walk off property, place the bet, and nothing would happen? What exactly is this rule protecting? If he is getting inside info he’d get it anyways when he’s at the gas station and asks by text if Bryce Young is out vs Georgia? Like please explain to me what that particular rule does?
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

Kidd would have curb stomped him.

Maybe if his name was Denise instead of Dennis.

Fotis St wrote:Wherever you are David, I love you man.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#6 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:40 pm

TroyD92 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:

I understand that fully. You don’t think it’s idiotic that he could literally walk off property, place the bet, and nothing would happen? What exactly is this rule protecting? If he is getting inside info he’d get it anyways when he’s at the gas station and asks by text if Bryce Young is out vs Georgia? Like please explain to me what that particular rule does?
I guess the league doesn't want locker rooms to become gambling dens but honestly I don't know and I didn't know that was even a rule until today.

But these are adults and lots of companies have dumb rules employees need to follow. Like I said originally I do feel like it's a bit harsh but it's a pretty easy rule not to break so... shrug

My little rant was more about some of the dumb **** I see media say. They are litterally employed in this yet seem to have a hard time grasping it's all a business.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
jute2003
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,330

Post#7 » by jute2003 » Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:08 pm

TroyD92 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
Kerb Hohl wrote:

It is the rule though and it's incredibly easy to follow.
only a fan, only an opinion
XtremeDunkz
General Manager
And1: 6,852

Post#8 » by XtremeDunkz » Sat Apr 22, 2023 7:23 am

Fun fact. I work for Caesars and am not allowed to gamble at all, period. So the whole "the league is associated with gambling" means nothing to me.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
10/27/16
Nemesis21 wrote:It is absolutely hilarious hearing people still say Embiid has superstar potential.The guy is one injury away from being Greg Oden.:lol: Except Oden manged to play over 100 games in the NBA, I don't think Embiid will play more.
LittleRooster
General Manager
And1: 3,119

Post#9 » by LittleRooster » Sat Apr 22, 2023 2:57 pm

XtremeDunkz wrote:Fun fact. I work for Caesars and am not allowed to gamble at all, period. So the whole "the league is associated with gambling" means nothing to me.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I’m curious if this extends to fantasy football

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,080

Post#10 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Apr 26, 2023 3:46 pm

Read on Twitter
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#11 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:06 pm

Read on Twitter
Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#12 » by Treebeard » Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:17 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:
Read on Twitter

If there was concern of collusion by owners to keep Jackson from signing such a fat Watson-esque contract with another team, what's going to be the consensus view of the Ravens re-signing him with heavy guarantees?
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Re: ATL - Lamar 5/$260 million, $185 million guaranteed 

Post#13 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:18 pm

Florio all up in his feelings this week, love it

Read on Twitter
?t=yo0RvlJeJaCC9actu_CM6g&s=19

Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,594

Post#14 » by Profound23 » Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:22 pm

Good for Lamar.....wonder if they trade for DHOP now.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#15 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:44 pm

Can't stand Florio
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#16 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Apr 27, 2023 10:29 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:Can't stand Florio
It's bad enough he's a swarmy little know it all but then when you add the Viking fan aspect it really propells him to loathsome territory.

Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,327

Post#17 » by Mags FTW » Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:42 pm

Treebeard wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:
Read on Twitter

If there was concern of collusion by owners to keep Jackson from signing such a fat Watson-esque contract with another team, what's going to be the consensus view of the Ravens re-signing him with heavy guarantees?

I never bought into the collusion thing. It was essentially saying, "Because one team did an incredibly stupid thing, now other teams must also be willing to do the same stupid thing or they are colluding."
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#18 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Apr 28, 2023 12:09 am

Read on Twitter
?t=AVCKaXlGg9khTFTy9QpsjA&s=19

The cardinals definitely lead the league in punching themselves in the dick.

IrishRainbow
Veteran
And1: 900

Post#19 » by IrishRainbow » Fri Apr 28, 2023 1:08 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Read on Twitter

That knee injury messed him up. Would be a helluva reclamation project. Admittedly I haven’t watched much of him (seemingly no one has) the last couple years…but if you can somehow get him right.

Who knows, maybe the decline for 5th will turn into a longer/more friendly extension. :dontknow:
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#20 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:56 pm

Jets haven't been on Sunday Night football in 11 years, you can bet that will change this season. And they'll get some late window national games. They've got Buffalo twice, Chiefs, Chargers, Eagles, Cowboys. Raiders too, I don't think that would rate a Sunday night game but maybe Monday night with the Rodgers/Adams angle.

Return to Green Bay Packers