MoMM
RealGM
And1: 1,715

Re: Round One - Lukas Van Ness 

Post#161 » by MoMM » Mon Oct 23, 2023 7:23 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
MoMM wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:
He's probably not, we all knew this season for him was likely to be akin to Gary's 1st year as the 3rd or 4th Edge rusher. The difference then though was that team was an NFCCG team and not a rebuilding squad like our current situation. No reason to play an aging washed up vet over Van Ness

There is a reason, our DC wants to keep his job.

Yep. Barry is trying to win now and that's a mistake. This year should be all about development. Trade any vet who won't be here in 2025 imo and play the young guys

That's on the GM, he should be the one limiting the options to our DC.

Our DC has a terrible track record as a DC, so he need to try to win as much as possible, otherwise he won't get any job in the future, considering that he will be dismissed as a scapegoat (which in fact he is).
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,958

Post#162 » by BUCKnation » Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:05 pm

Frankly its hard to judge any DL year one.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,079

Post#163 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:04 pm

Something interesting happened during the season with LVN.

He started the year playing OLB. First half of the season he played 140 snaps at ROLB. He had 7 snaps as down lineman.

That reversed itself in the second half of the season. He played 15 snaps at ROLB, but played 159 at RE with his hand in the dirt. He played 31 snaps on the line on Sunday, 0 snaps at OLB.

This tracks with what I've thought about LVN from the start. He's a lineman.

I think this is important when you consider the draft. If they can nab a guy to play next to LVN on the edge, I think it'd be very valuable to completing the front seven.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,070

Post#164 » by MVP2110 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:10 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Something interesting happened during the season with LVN.

He started the year playing OLB. First half of the season he played 140 snaps at ROLB. He had 7 snaps as down lineman.

That reversed itself in the second half of the season. He played 15 snaps at ROLB, but played 159 at RE with his hand in the dirt. He played 31 snaps on the line on Sunday, 0 snaps at OLB.

I think this is important when you consider the draft. If they can nab a guy to play next to LVN on the edge, I think it'd be very valuable to completing the front seven.

To add on to this, if the Packers consider LVN a linemen as opposed to a OLB, then Dline really isn't a need in the slightest this offseason. They'll bring back Clark, Slaton, Wyatt, Brooks, and Wooden, plus you add LVN to that group and you're at 6 guys who are basically roster locks. I think Saturdays game against San Fran will be telling in how they use him with Enagbare out.
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,853

Post#165 » by coolhandluke121 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:32 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:Something interesting happened during the season with LVN.

To add on to this, if the Packers consider LVN a linemen as opposed to a OLB, then Dline really isn't a need in the slightest this offseason. They'll bring back Clark, Slaton, Wyatt, Brooks, and Wooden, plus you add LVN to that group and you're at 6 guys who are basically roster locks. I think Saturdays game against San Fran will be telling in how they use him with Enagbare out.

I think Gary's snap count and Preston's slow start also had something to do with LVN playing more edge early in the season, plus at some point I think they realized that they had to concede the point on Wyatt being a JAG despite the draft capital they invested in him. No question LVN has been much better than him already, with 1 less year of experience and more than 3 years younger no less, so they may just be trying to get their best players on the field.

I think LVN, Clark, Brooks, Smith, and Gary will be the primary guys in the front four next season, with Wyatt, Slaton, Cox, Wooden, and eventually (when healthy) Enagbare for depth.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,079

Post#166 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:38 pm

coolhandluke121 wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:

I think Gary's snap count and Preston's slow start also had something to do with LVN playing more edge early in the season, plus at some point I think they realized that they had to concede the point on Wyatt being a JAG despite the draft capital they invested in him. No question LVN has been much better than him already, with 1 less year of experience and more than 3 years younger no less, so they may just be trying to get their best players on the field.

I think LVN, Clark, Brooks, Smith, and Gary will be the primary guys in the front four next season, with Wyatt, Slaton, Cox, Wooden, and eventually (when healthy) Enagbare for depth.

Wyatt was arguably the team's best pass rusher this season. He especially came on strong late, with 17 hurries in the 2nd half of the season.

He misses too many tackles vs the run, but he's still very valuable.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,070

Post#167 » by MVP2110 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:41 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
coolhandluke121 wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:

Wyatt was arguably the team's best pass rusher this season. He especially came on strong late, with 17 hurries in the 2nd half of the season.

I think Wyatt & Slaton are solid platoon mates. Slaton is much better against the run than Wyatt is & Wyatt is a much better pass rusher than Slaton. So on run downs you can use Slaton and on pass downs you turn to Wyatt. Hope Brooks grows into that all around guy and then just use Wooden as a depth piece who really should only be rushing the passer.
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,853

Post#168 » by coolhandluke121 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:14 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

I think Wyatt & Slaton are solid platoon mates. Slaton is much better against the run than Wyatt is & Wyatt is a much better pass rusher than Slaton. So on run downs you can use Slaton and on pass downs you turn to Wyatt. Hope Brooks grows into that all around guy and then just use Wooden as a depth piece who really should only be rushing the passer.

Brooks has already convinced me that he's that guy. He fights hard, moves well, plays stronger than his size, and finishes plays. I think he might be on steroids though. There's something kind of juiced about his play lately, especially chasing down ball-carriers.

Wyatt gets pretty close to the QB a few times a game, but I never feel like he's going to finish the play (against the pass or run, for that matter), and the QB almost always gets away or makes the throw without too much discomfort. I just don't see actual impact there. And even on those plays where he makes a decent pass rush, I'm saying to myself "Hey, Wyatt finally did something, I had completely forgotten about him."
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,242

Post#169 » by LUKE23 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:15 pm

I feel like the Packers personnel is more suited for a 4-3. I wonder if they look that direction once Barry is (hopefully) fired.
jimmybones
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,727

Post#170 » by jimmybones » Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:17 pm

Another pro in the LVN on the DL category is I could totally see him throwing 10 lbs on his frame without losing athleticism. He's more impressive athletically as a DL than as a big EDGE
TroyD92
RealGM
And1: 10,745

Post#171 » by TroyD92 » Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:22 pm

Do any teams really just run base 3-4 or 4-3 at this point? Feel like they are all pretty mixed.
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

Kidd would have curb stomped him.

Maybe if his name was Denise instead of Dennis.

Fotis St wrote:Wherever you are David, I love you man.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,674

Post#172 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:56 pm

Packers basically run a 5-2 on rush downs.

Sent from my SM-F731U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,708

Post#173 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:57 pm

"Hand in the dirt" LVN was definitely something talked about a lot by the scouts pre-draft. He was arguably as good of a run defender as any edge rusher in the Big-10. It's why I was pretty high on the pick in general. The athletic/size combo and his versatility. Getting an actual innovative defensive coordinator in here to maximize LVN and Quay has to be the priority this offseason.

Return to Green Bay Packers