ImageImage

Round One - Lukas Van Ness

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,378

Re: Round One - Lukas Van Ness 

Post#121 » by M-C-G » Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:16 pm

Van Ness looks like the most New England Patriots LB ever. Not the pick I would have made, but I think there was a pretty decent market for him out there.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,673

Post#122 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:21 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:
chonestown wrote:Most of the problems with Gary revolved around his post-selection demeanor if I recall. Ability wasn't in question.

Yes, and some of the takes made me embarrassed to be a Packers fan. Or, I guess, a human.
Wait were people actually serious about that crying thing? I always thought that was just a running joke.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
TroyD92
RealGM
And1: 10,738

Post#123 » by TroyD92 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:24 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
MikeIsGood wrote:
chonestown wrote:Most of the problems with Gary revolved around his post-selection demeanor if I recall. Ability wasn't in question.

Yes, and some of the takes made me embarrassed to be a Packers fan. Or, I guess, a human.
Wait were people actually serious about that crying thing? I always thought that was just a running joke.

Sent from my SM-G986U using RealGM mobile app

No they were very serious. Also lots of discussion about his Dyslexia being a problem...
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

Kidd would have curb stomped him.

Maybe if his name was Denise instead of Dennis.

Fotis St wrote:Wherever you are David, I love you man.
Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,748

Post#124 » by Treebeard » Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:42 pm

There was also some doubts raised about Gary's limited production on field at Michigan. Kinda similar to some of the grumbling about Van Ness. The squawking about the crying and dyslexia was embarassing
TroyD92
RealGM
And1: 10,738

Post#125 » by TroyD92 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:44 pm

Listening to Andy Herman live stream and apparently Van Ness had two fg blocks as well.
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

Kidd would have curb stomped him.

Maybe if his name was Denise instead of Dennis.

Fotis St wrote:Wherever you are David, I love you man.
CWoodfan
Junior
And1: 288

Post#126 » by CWoodfan » Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:45 pm

Has any NFL franchise ever devoted so many resources (12 of last 13 1st round draft picks and 7 of 8 under Gootey as well as virtually all notable veteran free agent signings) to one side of the team and gotten so little out of it as he Packers have on the defensive side of the ball over the past 11 years?
Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,748

Post#127 » by Treebeard » Fri Apr 28, 2023 9:51 pm

TroyD92 wrote:Listening to Andy Herman live stream and apparently Van Ness had two fg blocks as well.

Bisaccia is probably having dreams of his own modern day version of Ted "the Mad Stork" Hendrickson.
LikeABosh
RealGM
And1: 8,633

Post#128 » by LikeABosh » Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:06 pm

TroyD92 wrote:Listening to Andy Herman live stream and apparently Van Ness had two fg blocks as well.

He had two punt blocks in the same game
XtremeDunkz
General Manager
And1: 6,848

Post#129 » by XtremeDunkz » Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:19 pm

I still take pride in being right about Gary from day 1. I know less about this kid but you can never go wrong looking for a stud pass rusher.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
10/27/16
Nemesis21 wrote:It is absolutely hilarious hearing people still say Embiid has superstar potential.The guy is one injury away from being Greg Oden.:lol: Except Oden manged to play over 100 games in the NBA, I don't think Embiid will play more.
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,778

Post#130 » by Ayt » Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:57 pm

emunney wrote:I don't watch a ton of CFB anymore, but I've seen enough to know a monster when I see one. Guys who are physically built like him (*easily* carrying 270+) who play with motor and can bend and start and stop and operate in space and just **** manhandle giants are super unusual. It's surprising to me he wasn't more highly regarded. I always laugh at the idea that there's some super steep learning curve with guys who are physically dominant, like playing defensive line is **** subtle and complicated.

Seems high floor high ceiling to me.

I didn't put much time into looking at prospects in the 1st, but basically ignored WR and TE because I didn't think they'd take someone from those positions because they are quite deep in this draft, particularly TE. Van Ness was the guy that jumped out at me as a possibility because he is such a freak at a premium position. You really only get the chance to draft guys like this in the top half of the 1st round, much like how we had the shot at Gary.

He's young and raw, but he could easily end up being a **** monster.
Finn
Starter
And1: 2,286

Post#131 » by Finn » Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:47 am

zmanishere11
Sixth Man
And1: 245

Post#132 » by zmanishere11 » Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:38 pm

I feel better about this pick in the scheme of the entire draft after we grabbed Reed and the two TE's. Reed specifically as he's that shifty slot guy who can actually return punts / kicks as well - exactly what we needed.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,034

Post#133 » by midranger » Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:38 pm

Read on Twitter
/mediaviewer
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
humanrefutation
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 14,052

Post#134 » by humanrefutation » Mon May 1, 2023 6:27 pm

Rittenberg shares thoughts from B1G scouts on LVN. Take them for whatever they're worth.

Rittenberg: The reaction to Iowa's Lukas Van Ness going at No. 13 from Big Ten coaches I talked to this weekend suggests the Packers reached a bit. Green Bay has done well with defensive players from the Big Ten, and Van Ness clearly has upside as a pass-rusher, recording 13.5 sacks and 19.5 tackles for loss the past two seasons. But he also played on a defense filled with reliable standouts, including Campbell, third-round draft pick Riley Moss, fellow linemen Noah Shannon and Joe Evans, and others. He won't have the same security with the Packers' defense, which struggled for much of the 2022 season. Green Bay could have added defensive backs Christian Gonzalez or Emmanuel Forbes, or an interior force like Calijah Kancey. They took a bit of a gamble on Van Ness. We'll see if it pays off.
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,378

Post#135 » by M-C-G » Mon May 1, 2023 6:49 pm

humanrefutation wrote:Rittenberg shares thoughts from B1G scouts on LVN. Take them for whatever they're worth.

Rittenberg: The reaction to Iowa's Lukas Van Ness going at No. 13 from Big Ten coaches I talked to this weekend suggests the Packers reached a bit. Green Bay has done well with defensive players from the Big Ten, and Van Ness clearly has upside as a pass-rusher, recording 13.5 sacks and 19.5 tackles for loss the past two seasons. But he also played on a defense filled with reliable standouts, including Campbell, third-round draft pick Riley Moss, fellow linemen Noah Shannon and Joe Evans, and others. He won't have the same security with the Packers' defense, which struggled for much of the 2022 season. Green Bay could have added defensive backs Christian Gonzalez or Emmanuel Forbes, or an interior force like Calijah Kancey. They took a bit of a gamble on Van Ness. We'll see if it pays off.

I think this is a universal take on most 1st round picks. People for it and people that don't see it.

One thing that surprised me about LVN that 'pundits' cited was not being a starter, but then you look at if he had a starter number of snaps and the answer was yes. I don't know, but worse case, I think we have a nice piece of clay to mold and our staff showed me they could make it work with another Big Ten edge that people felt was overdrafted. So we will see.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,241

Post#136 » by LUKE23 » Mon May 1, 2023 7:13 pm

To me this pick mimics the Gary pick in almost every facet. Not only their position, their size, their combine numbers, but how many viewed the pick as a reach based on questions of production. I don't know, if this kid has a motor, I just have a hard time seeing him fail with that size/speed/agility combination. He may not be what he's going to be year 1, same as Gary, but how he ends up as a player is all that matters.

I wanted JSN but always had Van Ness high on my board.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,327

Post#137 » by Mags FTW » Mon May 1, 2023 7:40 pm

humanrefutation wrote:Rittenberg shares thoughts from B1G scouts on LVN. Take them for whatever they're worth.

I don't get this criticism. The talent around him didn't help LVN bull rush people like Skoronski into the Phantom Zone.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,704

Post#138 » by Ron Swanson » Mon May 1, 2023 8:02 pm

I couldn't care less about the "he didn't start" thing at this point.

I don't get this criticism. The talent around him didn't help LVN bull rush people like Skoronski into the Phantom Zone.

This. It's like some people go out of their way to convince their eyes that what they're seeing is wrong, and that's the absolute inverse analysis that the statistics crowd too often falls into but needs to get away from. Besides, I don't know what says productive better than a guy who had 14-sacks and 19 TFL in 26 career games as a "back up".
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,680

Post#139 » by Matches Malone » Mon May 1, 2023 8:07 pm

Yeah, the not starting thing is definitely low-hanging fruit to try and nitpick the selection. The fact is his snap count was up there with the rest of the starters and his production across the line was just as good if not better than some of the upperclassmen. I remember people bringing up Clay Matthews not starting and he turned out fine.
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
Frank Nova
Head Coach
And1: 2,580

Post#140 » by Frank Nova » Mon May 1, 2023 8:20 pm

No wonder they call him Hercules.. He seems freakishly strong.
RIP Kobe Forever. GOAT 8-24. Long Live Giannis

Return to Green Bay Packers