ImageImage

Round One - Lukas Van Ness

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,679

Re: Round One - Lukas Van Ness 

Post#101 » by MikeIsGood » Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:44 pm

Day after. Disappointment was purely over my favorite college football player from two seasons ago being there for us but passing on him. The player himself I'm quite pleased with, and agree with those saying it is actually a position of need.

Pickup one of the TEs today and we'll be off to a good start.
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,752

Post#102 » by emunney » Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:51 pm

I don't watch a ton of CFB anymore, but I've seen enough to know a monster when I see one. Guys who are physically built like him (*easily* carrying 270+) who play with motor and can bend and start and stop and operate in space and just **** manhandle giants are super unusual. It's surprising to me he wasn't more highly regarded. I always laugh at the idea that there's some super steep learning curve with guys who are physically dominant, like playing defensive line is **** subtle and complicated.

Seems high floor high ceiling to me.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,378

Post#103 » by M-C-G » Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:20 pm

emunney wrote:I don't watch a ton of CFB anymore, but I've seen enough to know a monster when I see one. Guys who are physically built like him (*easily* carrying 270+) who play with motor and can bend and start and stop and operate in space and just **** manhandle giants are super unusual. It's surprising to me he wasn't more highly regarded. I always laugh at the idea that there's some super steep learning curve with guys who are physically dominant, like playing defensive line is **** subtle and complicated.

Seems high floor high ceiling to me.

Just highlights, but on twitter I just saw plays of him blowing up the OSU and Northwestern T that just got drafted in the first. If I had doubts, that kind of erased it.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,704

Post#104 » by Ron Swanson » Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:23 pm

Yeah, obviously you can't go entirely on clips and highlights, but the one play where he absolutely demolished Skoronski was eye-opening. Dude is an absolute physical specimen who just needs some fine-tuning.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,680

Post#105 » by Matches Malone » Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:28 pm

Read on Twitter
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,957

Post#106 » by BUCKnation » Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:48 pm

Fine with the position and hope he ends up playing well. Initially, like his size, athleticism and versatility. Definitely needed an EDGE/DL given Gary's ACL and preston's age.
zmanishere11
Sixth Man
And1: 245

Post#107 » by zmanishere11 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:09 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
zmanishere11 wrote:Raw player who looks like Hercules and has two entrenched starters in front of him. Makes total sense with a new QB to invest in the D.

Plan is to coach him up.

The coach is Joe Barry.

I rest my case

Coordinator's don't develop players, that's on the position coaches for the most part. And they've had a lot of success developing Edge guys in the last few years. Rashan Gary has been great, JJ Enagbare was a productive for a day 3 guy, and even Justin Hollins was a solid midseason find who contributed. I have plenty of faith GB will develop him into a really good player. Now will Barry use him right? I have no idea but hopefully the next guy will when Barry inevitably gets fired

Rashaan Gary has 22 sacks in 3.5 years and we are about to give him $100 mil coming off an ACL.

This is very much the exact same pick.

Gary is a nice player currently, but don't you want more production out of guys you draft with high first round picks?

That is my problem.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,065

Post#108 » by MVP2110 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:11 pm

zmanishere11 wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:
zmanishere11 wrote:Raw player who looks like Hercules and has two entrenched starters in front of him. Makes total sense with a new QB to invest in the D.

Plan is to coach him up.

The coach is Joe Barry.

I rest my case

Coordinator's don't develop players, that's on the position coaches for the most part. And they've had a lot of success developing Edge guys in the last few years. Rashan Gary has been great, JJ Enagbare was a productive for a day 3 guy, and even Justin Hollins was a solid midseason find who contributed. I have plenty of faith GB will develop him into a really good player. Now will Barry use him right? I have no idea but hopefully the next guy will when Barry inevitably gets fired

Rashaan Gary has 22 sacks in 3.5 years and we are about to give him $100 mil coming off an ACL.

Gary is a nice player currently, but don't you want more production out of guys you draft with high first round picks?

That is my problem.

If you think Rashan Gary was a bad pick I'm not sure what to tell you
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,748

Post#109 » by Treebeard » Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:29 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
zmanishere11 wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:

That is my problem.

If you think Rashan Gary was a bad pick I'm not sure what to tell you

At the time of the pick, there was considerable question marks here about Gary's potential, Just as with Van Ness. IIRC, Gary was considered a project with some boom/bust potential in equal parts. As we have enjoyed, BOOM was definitely the case
emunney
RealGM
And1: 36,752

Post#110 » by emunney » Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:33 pm

zmanishere11 wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:

Plan is to coach him up.

The coach is Joe Barry.

I rest my case

That is my problem.

You think he's another Gary, and this upsets you? Okey doke.
Here are more legal notices regarding the Posts
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,378

Post#111 » by M-C-G » Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:46 pm

zmanishere11 wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:

Plan is to coach him up.

The coach is Joe Barry.

I rest my case

That is my problem.

TJ Watt is maybe the premier edge in the league. At the age of 24 he had 38 pressures and 13 sacks. At the age of 24 Gary had 47 pressures and 9.5 sacks. And was arguably one of the better run defenders in the league.

Gary is more than a nice player, he was on the doorstep of being a star, so trying to get another Gary works for me.
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,587

Post#112 » by Profound23 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:44 pm

M-C-G wrote:
zmanishere11 wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:

That is my problem.

TJ Watt is maybe the premier edge in the league. At the age of 24 he had 38 pressures and 13 sacks. At the age of 24 Gary had 47 pressures and 9.5 sacks. And was arguably one of the better run defenders in the league.

Gary is more than a nice player, he was on the doorstep of being a star, so trying to get another Gary works for me.

And as someone who hated the Gary pick then tore it to pieces for an entire year, I have learned my lesson and will wait to see how this pick turns out.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,853

Post#113 » by coolhandluke121 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:53 pm

Yeah but how can you justify wasting the #13 pick on someone who might be good enough to command a $100m contract, which is a lot of money, and could tear his ACL on top of that? Probably could have gotten him in the 5th round if they had played their cards right.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,171

Post#114 » by RRyder823 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:55 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:I'm someone who would have loved JSN at 13 too, but every draft is like clockwork. All the casual Packer fans and mouth-breather 620 callers latch onto whoever the consensus best WR is in our pick range, and if you don't pick that guy, then the front office is "dumb as ****", "they don't care about winning Super Bowls" blah blah. God forbid they can get it through their simpleton football minds that there are less sexier but more important positions than wide receiver.
I don't have an issue when people complain about not drafting a specific player. We all have guys we zero in on and hope for.

I have an issue when people bitch about not drafting a position as of the player doesn't matter. They just wanted a position filled no matter who it is.

That seems asinine to me

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,171

Post#115 » by RRyder823 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:00 pm

zmanishere11 wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:

Plan is to coach him up.

The coach is Joe Barry.

I rest my case

That is my problem.
Uhmmmm if he turns out like Gary........ yay?..................

Sent from my SM-G975U using RealGM mobile app
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,677

Post#116 » by chonestown » Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:54 pm

Most of the problems with Gary revolved around his post-selection demeanor if I recall. Ability wasn't in question.
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,587

Post#117 » by Profound23 » Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:14 pm

Steelers wanted Van Ness.....supposedly they viewed him as a TJ clone. Hopefully he ends up being that good or even close.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,679

Post#118 » by MikeIsGood » Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:17 pm

chonestown wrote:Most of the problems with Gary revolved around his post-selection demeanor if I recall. Ability wasn't in question.

Yes, and some of the takes made me embarrassed to be a Packers fan. Or, I guess, a human.
LittleRooster
General Manager
And1: 3,119

Post#119 » by LittleRooster » Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:19 pm

Profound23 wrote:Steelers wanted Van Ness.....supposedly they viewed him as a TJ clone. Hopefully he ends up being that good or even close.

Just curious, where did you hear that? Makes me excited lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,704

Post#120 » by Ron Swanson » Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:21 pm

True, didn't see a single tear shed as he was selected. I want my drafted rookies to have intense emotive reactions, not look happy and celebrate with all their hot blonde sisters.

#BustAlert

Return to Green Bay Packers