ImageImage

Round 5 - #149 - Sean Clifford

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,143

Re: Round 5 - #149 - Sean Clifford 

Post#61 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Mon May 1, 2023 1:38 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Guessing there were people that really preferred Tanner McKee or Max Duggan instead? No idea how to feel about this dude but I guess I'm not really seeing much of a meaningful difference between the 12th and 16th rated QB prospects in this draft. We knew they needed to draft a backup. Could just be a Chase Daniel type as a best case scenario, and that'd be completely fine.

Didn't gute say he didn't take an OLmen because after a certain point there were no viable options. He must think he is worth keeping on the roster. I would have rather brought back a Tim Boyle type guy with experience at the bare minimum. I mean, don't we still have have to sign a vet backup at this point? Do we really need 3 QBs?
Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#62 » by Treebeard » Mon May 1, 2023 1:44 pm

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:Guessing there were people that really preferred Tanner McKee or Max Duggan instead? No idea how to feel about this dude but I guess I'm not really seeing much of a meaningful difference between the 12th and 16th rated QB prospects in this draft. We knew they needed to draft a backup. Could just be a Chase Daniel type as a best case scenario, and that'd be completely fine.

Didn't gute say he didn't take an OLmen because after a certain point there were no viable options. He must think he is worth keeping on the roster. I would have rather brought back a Tim Boyle type guy with experience at the bare minimum. I mean, don't we still have have to sign a vet backup at this point? Do we really need 3 QBs?

If I were Danny Etling, I'd be buffing up my resume. If the Pack retains Clifford (because he was drafted) and finds an inexpensive vet QB, then Etling is either bumped to the PS again, or out the door.
stillgotgame
Analyst
And1: 1,974

Post#63 » by stillgotgame » Mon May 1, 2023 1:57 pm

BUCKnation wrote:This dude really held back PSU imo. If he’ll help off the field then good but he certainly wont help on it

Did he though? He's 4th all time in TD passes in the Big Ten, 86 TDs to 31 INTs.
He doesn't have a strong arm, but neither a QB ahead of him on that list, Drew Brees.

He looks like a system QB. If the system is working anyone can throw a 10 yard crossing route to Watson.
Read on Twitter
?s=20
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,898

Post#64 » by coolhandluke121 » Mon May 1, 2023 3:00 pm

stillgotgame wrote:
BUCKnation wrote:This dude really held back PSU imo. If he’ll help off the field then good but he certainly wont help on it

Did he though?

I think so. I saw him in several big games, and he pretty much always looked awful. PSU had talent, but he was consistently letting the other team off the hook with bad throws. It's not all that hard to put up decent numbers in college when you're playing for a team with significantly more talent than most of the teams you're playing against. I just don't see a path forward with such poor ball placement.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 24,013

Post#65 » by Ron Swanson » Mon May 1, 2023 3:14 pm

Was his decision-making bad or was his arm bad? That's really what it always comes down to with these physically talented dudes who don't have prototype arm talent. On tape he seems like a guy that knows his limitations, knows when to tuck and run instead of forcing it into a window, etc. Maybe in a more structured offense with explosive skill position weapons all over, he can be a high level game-manager type?
stillgotgame
Analyst

Post#66 » by stillgotgame » Mon May 1, 2023 3:18 pm

coolhandluke121 wrote:
stillgotgame wrote:

Did he though?

I think so. I saw him in several big games, and he pretty much always looked awful. PSU had talent, but he was consistently letting the other team off the hook with bad throws. It's not all that hard to put up decent numbers in college when you're playing for a team with significantly more talent than most of the teams you're playing against. I just don't see a path forward with such poor ball placement.

Subjectively I agree with you 100%. He looked awkward, bad footwork and mechanics, and a average arm at best.
Objectively he had the same completion percentage as Love for their college careers. He had better YPA and TD/INT ratio.

I doubt he was Gute's first choice. There was a big run on QBs. In hindsight he should've seen that coming. The NFC championship game this year had a 7th round rookie and a 2nd round guy starting. No doubt that influenced other GMs to take late round QBs earlier.

Read on Twitter
?s=20
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,390

Post#67 » by M-C-G » Mon May 1, 2023 3:23 pm

stillgotgame wrote:
coolhandluke121 wrote:
stillgotgame wrote:
Did he though?

Subjectively I agree with you 100%. He looked awkward, bad footwork and mechanics, and a average arm at best.
Objectively he had the same completion percentage as Love for their college careers. He had better YPA and TD/INT ratio.

I doubt he was Gute's first choice. There was a big run on QBs. In hindsight he should've seen that coming. The NFC championship game this year had a 7th round rookie and a 2nd round guy starting. No doubt that influenced other GMs to take late round QBs earlier.

In the little I watched he played way too much on the move for his footwork and lack of arm strength. I do wonder if they find a way to keep him in rhythm do we see him being a kind of Tyler Hienke guy which would be ok.
Treebeard
Head Coach

Post#68 » by Treebeard » Mon May 1, 2023 3:26 pm

^^^ Clifford goes into the Tom Clements garage for a rebuild?
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,898

Post#69 » by coolhandluke121 » Mon May 1, 2023 3:32 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Was his decision-making bad or was his arm bad?

I would say his arm. In theory, his reads were mostly fine, but what good is that if you can't execute the throw? Maybe someone can improve his mechanics enough to make him serviceable, but I never once watched him play and thought he could be an NFL QB. Any remotely difficult throw was a total crapshoot in the games I saw. The moment also seemed too big for him in big games, but that's really subjective.

ETA: Halfway between Mike Samuel and Tim Tebow.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
Treebeard
Head Coach

Post#70 » by Treebeard » Mon May 1, 2023 3:44 pm

Only half joking here.... Can he return punts, in a pinch? Cueing off the Hill/Tebow line of thought
stillgotgame
Analyst

Post#71 » by stillgotgame » Mon May 1, 2023 4:06 pm

coolhandluke121 wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:Was his decision-making bad or was his arm bad?

ETA: Halfway between Mike Samuel and Tim Tebow.

Or for us older Packer fans - halfway between Randy Wright & David Whitehurst. :lol:

Read on Twitter
?s=20
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,055

Post#72 » by MickeyDavis » Mon May 1, 2023 5:26 pm

I guess if Love gets hurt or is really bad we'll want to tank and Clifford is the guy for that.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
RubberSoul
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,877

Post#73 » by RubberSoul » Mon May 1, 2023 6:36 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:I guess if Love gets hurt or is really bad we'll want to tank and Clifford is the guy for that.

I think Guty is gunning for Caleb Williams if Love is bad or injured. Why bring in a middling vet and win a couple meaningless games in December if we aren’t in contention anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,390

Post#74 » by M-C-G » Mon May 1, 2023 6:54 pm

RubberSoul wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:I guess if Love gets hurt or is really bad we'll want to tank and Clifford is the guy for that.

I think Guty is gunning for Caleb Williams if Love is bad or injured. Why bring in a middling vet and win a couple meaningless games in December if we aren’t in contention anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hear you, but if Love gets hurt or sucks, hard to see MLF, Gute & co. surviving the next offseason. I don't think it will be a problem, but everyone's ass is on the line which wouldn't shock me if they brought in a vet.

Mike White is probably the guy I would have gone for, but feel like he got a real decent contract to have a shot with Miami. Tua is a concussion away from being done with football if I had to guess.

Return to Green Bay Packers