Round 5 - #159 - Dontayvion Wicks

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

skones
RealGM
And1: 17,208

Re: Round 5 - #159 - Dontayvion Wicks 

Post#41 » by skones » Wed Dec 6, 2023 11:38 pm

stillgotgame wrote:
Yep. Just like I told you and the rest of the board 6 weeks ago that Love is good. Exactly like that. Maybe a little luck too.

Love WASN'T objectively good for 5 weeks. 'Is' is present tense, so you were wrong. He's shown improvement certainly, but this league is about consistency, and that needs to be sustained. It's fair to say that he should have been given more time than I certainly was willing to grant him, but nothing about his play during that stretch indicated that we'd get a game like we did on Sunday night, or against Detroit for that matter.

And back to Wicks/Jefferson, it's asinine to consider that a ceiling based on measurables alone. There are countless physical freaks in this league that just don't have it. Do Randy Moss and MVS next just to drive the point home.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,070

Post#42 » by MVP2110 » Thu Dec 7, 2023 12:06 am

I absolutely LOVE Dontayvion Wicks. But his chances of being as good as Justin Jefferson are .001% or so. Now I do think Wicks could be the next late round WR to develop into a legit #1 but Jefferson is arguably WR1 in the NFL.
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,379

Post#43 » by M-C-G » Thu Dec 7, 2023 1:12 am

MVP2110 wrote:I absolutely LOVE Dontayvion Wicks. But his chances of being as good as Justin Jefferson are .001% or so. Now I do think Wicks could be the next late round WR to develop into a legit #1 but Jefferson is arguably WR1 in the NFL.

I’m not quite as high on Wicks as many, but if we are comping late round draft guys, maybe Diggs is the better comp.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
stillgotgame
Analyst
And1: 1,946

Post#44 » by stillgotgame » Thu Dec 7, 2023 4:26 am

skones wrote:
stillgotgame wrote:
Yep. Just like I told you and the rest of the board 6 weeks ago that Love is good. Exactly like that. Maybe a little luck too.

Love WASN'T objectively good for 5 weeks. 'Is' is present tense, so you were wrong. He's shown improvement certainly, but this league is about consistency, and that needs to be sustained. It's fair to say that he should have been given more time than I certainly was willing to grant him, but nothing about his play during that stretch indicated that we'd get a game like we did on Sunday night, or against Detroit for that matter.

And back to Wicks/Jefferson, it's asinine to consider that a ceiling based on measurables alone. There are countless physical freaks in this league that just don't have it. Do Randy Moss and MVS next just to drive the point home.

Fail man, fail. You said Love was a career backup.

FAIL.
Read on Twitter
?s=20
stillgotgame
Analyst

Post#45 » by stillgotgame » Thu Dec 7, 2023 4:29 am

M-C-G wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:I absolutely LOVE Dontayvion Wicks. But his chances of being as good as Justin Jefferson are .001% or so. Now I do think Wicks could be the next late round WR to develop into a legit #1 but Jefferson is arguably WR1 in the NFL.

I’m not quite as high on Wicks as many, but if we are comping late round draft guys, maybe Diggs is the better comp.

Diggs level would be a pretty big accomplishment.

Read on Twitter
?s=20
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,379

Post#46 » by M-C-G » Thu Dec 7, 2023 2:20 pm

stillgotgame wrote:
M-C-G wrote:

Diggs level would be a pretty big accomplishment.

I'm not saying likely, that type of comp just makes more sense to me when talking in terms of ceiling than Jefferson. And Diggs may very well be too high of a max ceiling, but as a later round pick just seems more applicable.
jute2003
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,329

Post#47 » by jute2003 » Thu Dec 7, 2023 3:53 pm

stillgotgame wrote:
skones wrote:
stillgotgame wrote:

FAIL.
It's still possible that love could fall on his face and never solidify himself as a winning qb. I dont think that's that'll happen but it's possible.

The fail was claiming you knew it was gonna happen after 2 starts.
only a fan, only an opinion
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,674

Post#48 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Dec 7, 2023 5:41 pm

I love the optimism but IDK maybe we should wait until he has more than 23 career receptions before crowning him. That's like two good games for Jefferson.

Sent from my SM-F731U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Swan Vox
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,917

Post#49 » by Swan Vox » Thu Dec 7, 2023 5:57 pm

Fun fact: Jefferson and Wicks share a birthday, June 16th…not sayin, just sayin.
Finn
Starter
And1: 2,287

Post#50 » by Finn » Thu Dec 7, 2023 6:51 pm

jute2003 wrote:
stillgotgame wrote:
skones wrote:Love WASN'T objectively good for 5 weeks. 'Is' is present tense, so you were wrong. He's shown improvement certainly, but this league is about consistency, and that needs to be sustained. It's fair to say that he should have been given more time than I certainly was willing to grant him, but nothing about his play during that stretch indicated that we'd get a game like we did on Sunday night, or against Detroit for that matter.

FAIL.

It's still possible that love could fall on his face and never solidify himself as a winning qb. I dont think that's that'll happen but it's possible.

Well, many people were certain that Love was going to fail before he got any significant playing time. :crazy: :banghead:
stillgotgame
Analyst

Post#51 » by stillgotgame » Thu Dec 7, 2023 6:59 pm

jute2003 wrote:
stillgotgame wrote:
skones wrote:

FAIL.

It’s definitely possible he regresses. I think he’s been very lucky on several plays over the last 2 weeks. In the Chiefs game the throw to Doubs was a prayer, although a pretty good one considering he had Chris Jones in his face. In the Lions game the first TD pass Watson ran the wrong route and yet he still got the slant through for a TD to Reed. Both could’ve been picks. Love was lucky at the beginning of the season too. During the streak where we lost 4 of 5 he was unlucky- lots of dropped passes. Lots of contested catch situations where small cornerbacks muscled up on Watson.

The poise, arm strength, pocket presence and keeping his eyes up field are all there though, good games or bad. I especially like how he doesn’t bail and run when he feels pressure.

What I don’t get is why the hate for him on this board. What’s the agenda? We’re Packer fans. I grew up in Milwaukee with all of my extended family being Packer, Bucks and Brewer fans. Several family members had the “Milwaukee package” Packer season tickets, we went to lots of games. All of us became Favre fans and then Rodgers fans. Now we’re on to Love. I’ve bought 15-20 Love jerseys, all my family wear them on Sundays. Why the hate, he’s our QB? The kid is humble, talented, has a great arm, what’s not to like. Do you guys want to root for a game manager like KFC, I know I don’t.

Read on Twitter
?s=20
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,208

Post#52 » by skones » Thu Dec 7, 2023 10:14 pm

jute2003 wrote:
stillgotgame wrote:
skones wrote:

FAIL.

Lol, I didn't claim to "know it was going to happen." I pointed out that he wasn't very good even in the first two games, and then he spent the next 5 being a pile of crap. I've given Love his due when he's played well, and been critical when it was deserved instead of being a blind homer like some here heaping blame on the players around him instead of the guy who was hucking the ball without accuracy.

But hey, at least I'm not the guy puffing out his chest by narcissistically posting his own tweets with 32 followers. I'll take solace in that. It's just false that anyone here "hates" Love or is actively rooting against him. When a guy looks like ass, I'm going to say he looks like ass. It's really that simple.
jute2003
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,329

Post#53 » by jute2003 » Thu Dec 7, 2023 10:44 pm

stillgotgame wrote:
jute2003 wrote:
stillgotgame wrote:

FAIL.

It’s definitely possible he regresses. I think he’s been very lucky on several plays over the last 2 weeks. In the Chiefs game the throw to Doubs was a prayer, although a pretty good one considering he had Chris Jones in his face. In the Lions game the first TD pass Watson ran the wrong route and yet he still got the slant through for a TD to Reed. Both could’ve been picks. Love was lucky at the beginning of the season too. During the streak where we lost 4 of 5 he was unlucky- lots of dropped passes. Lots of contested catch situations where small cornerbacks muscled up on Watson.

The poise, arm strength, pocket presence and keeping his eyes up field are all there though, good games or bad. I especially like how he doesn’t bail and run when he feels pressure.

What I don’t get is why the hate for him on this board. What’s the agenda? We’re Packer fans. I grew up in Milwaukee with all of my extended family being Packer, Bucks and Brewer fans. Several family members had the “Milwaukee package” Packer season tickets, we went to lots of games. All of us became Favre fans and then Rodgers fans. Now we’re on to Love. I’ve bought 15-20 Love jerseys, all my family wear them on Sundays. Why the hate, he’s our QB? The kid is humble, talented, has a great arm, what’s not to like. Do you guys want to root for a game manager like KFC, I know I don’t.
When you know-it-all you gotta prove to others that you know-it-all
only a fan, only an opinion
stillgotgame
Analyst

Post#54 » by stillgotgame » Fri Dec 8, 2023 11:12 pm

skones wrote:
jute2003 wrote:
stillgotgame wrote:

FAIL.

Lol, I didn't claim to "know it was going to happen." I pointed out that he wasn't very good even in the first two games, and then he spent the next 5 being a pile of crap. I've given Love his due when he's played well, and been critical when it was deserved instead of being a blind homer like some here heaping blame on the players around him instead of the guy who was hucking the ball without accuracy.

But hey, at least I'm not the guy puffing out his chest by narcissistically posting his own tweets with 32 followers. I'll take solace in that. It's just false that anyone here "hates" Love or is actively rooting against him. When a guy looks like ass, I'm going to say he looks like ass. It's really that simple.

There's a reason why most of Love's misses have been on vertical routes, but all the bashers(like you) could say is accuracy can't be learned.

You gave up on him because it's the easy thing to do to bash the QB. It's the position everyone looks at, can easily pick on, and you jumped on the bandwagon.
It takes coaching, receivers and a QB playing well for just the QB to look good. Only the QB get's the blame though, because he's easy to blame. National media says accuracy can't be learned and you have a band wagon. What they didn't consider is he's new to starting, is following the most accurate passer in NFL history and throwing to a bunch of rookies/2nd year guys. The guy he missed most passes on (Watson) still doesn't know the plays after 2 seasons and has had 5 hamstring injuries. He's missed a ton of practice time. How often do you think Love throws to Watson going deep running full speed in practice? Certainly not enough. Now compare those reps to say Rodgers to Davante. It should be obvious why there's a learning curve but instead people looked at Love's stats and said he plays bad.

Read on Twitter
?s=20
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,674

Post#55 » by WeekapaugGroove » Fri Dec 8, 2023 11:24 pm

stillgotgame wrote:
skones wrote:
jute2003 wrote:It's still possible that love could fall on his face and never solidify himself as a winning qb. I dont think that's that'll happen but it's possible.

There's a reason why most of Love's misses have been on vertical routes, but all the bashers(like you) could say is accuracy can't be learned.

You gave up on him because it's the easy thing to do to bash the QB. It's the position everyone looks at, can easily pick on, and you jumped on the bandwagon.
It takes coaching, receivers and a QB playing well for just the QB to look good. Only the QB get's the blame though, because he's easy to blame. National media says accuracy can't be learned and you have a band wagon. What they didn't consider is he's new to starting, is following the most accurate passer in NFL history and throwing to a bunch of rookies/2nd year guys. The guy he missed most passes on (Watson) still doesn't know the plays after 2 seasons and has had 5 hamstring injuries. He's missed a ton of practice time. How often do you think Love throws to Watson going deep running full speed in practice? Certainly not enough. Now compare those reps to say Rodgers to Davante. It should be obvious why there's a learning curve but instead people looked at Love's stats and said he plays bad.
Love was missing more than just deep throws earlier this year. Some of the criticism might have been over the top but it was a valid critique. He's been much better the past month. That's awesome and I hope it continues.

Like if Giannis starts shooting 90% from the free throw line would past criticizims of his FT be somehow wrong?

Sent from my SM-F731U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
stillgotgame
Analyst

Post#56 » by stillgotgame » Sat Dec 9, 2023 12:18 am

Make your point without personal attacks - MD

Read on Twitter
?s=20
stillgotgame
Analyst

Post#57 » by stillgotgame » Sat Dec 9, 2023 5:23 pm

Wicks should finally get some extended playing time with Watson out this week. Looking at his stats using yards/snap, yards/target, or yards/catch he's easily our best receiver.
stillgotgame
Analyst

Post#58 » by stillgotgame » Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:32 pm

Wicks up to 28th of 122 receivers in the ranked by PFF with a 76.7 rating. Not bad considering he’s only been on the field for 46% of our offensive snaps.

https://www.pff.com/nfl/teams/green-bay-packers/12/roster
RubberSoul
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,824

Post#59 » by RubberSoul » Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:37 pm

Wicks looks like he has potential to be special he’s so twitchy. Reminds me of Davante will the way he cuts and moves. Obviously he’s got a long way to go but so encouraging so far. The draft is so random.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,748

Post#60 » by Treebeard » Tue Dec 19, 2023 5:50 pm

A thing I've noticed, is that he still manages to gain ground, even after contact. He can be a bit of a horse.

Return to Green Bay Packers