ImageImage

2024 NFL Draft - five picks in the first three rounds (seven in four! [probably])

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

zmanishere11
Sixth Man
And1: 246

Re: 2024 NFL Draft - five picks in the first three rounds (seven in four! [probably]) 

Post#1561 » by zmanishere11 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:35 pm

This is a really good draft. The three most likely scenarios I see in the 1st round are:

1. A tackle falling that we draft and move Tom to RG

2. A run on QB / WR / OT causes all of the top defenders to fall and we stay put and grab one

3. We trade up for a RT or top defender

Can't wait to see what happens.

Super Bowl odds on Fan Duel just went from +2200 to +1900....
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,097

Re: 2024 NFL Draft - five picks in the first three rounds (seven in four! [probably]) 

Post#1562 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:02 pm

I don't really have a clue what way the Packers a going to go in the top two rounds.

Last season they didn't pick any of their top two round visits:
Will McDonald IV
Keion White
Dalton Kincaid
Tyrique Stevenson
Felix Anudike-Uzomah
Rashee Rice

Passed up all those guys in 1 and 2.

But they took:
Dontayvion Wicks
Lew Nichols III
Sean Clifford
Karl Brooks

In 2022 they passed on:
Tyler Smith
Ed Ingram
Sam Williams
Jaquan Brisker
Drake Jackson
Tyquan Thornton
George Pickens

But they took:
Devonte Wyatt
Christian Watson
Romeo Doubs
Samori Toure
Tariq Carpenter
Rasheed Walker

:dontknow:
UWM_Brew_Buck
Analyst
And1: 883

Post#1563 » by UWM_Brew_Buck » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:03 pm

Replace all pro with all pro/pro bowl potential or even top 15 tackle I don’t think him at C is worth it. I am intrigued and I do trust the Packers to make the right decision though. It’s a big swing for the fences move which makes it interesting.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1564 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:07 pm

I think the report to Demovsky could be a smoke screen and maybe they're just doing due diligence in bringing in a bunch of RT only prospects.

But you can see the thought process:

1 - Tom is the 2nd smallest tackle in the NFL, and his strengths and size play up better on the interior.
2 - The draft is heavy with RT prospects in the 2nd half of round one.
3 - Josh Myers was the weakest link on the offensive line last season, and he's a free agent after this year.
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,621

Post#1565 » by Profound23 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:52 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:I think the report to Demovsky could be a smoke screen and maybe they're just doing due diligence in bringing in a bunch of RT only prospects.

1 - Tom is the 2nd smallest tackle in the NFL, and his strengths and size play up better on the interior.
3 - Josh Myers was the weakest link on the offensive line last season, and he's a free agent after this year.

Ever since we drafted Tom all I've heard is he can be the best center in the league. If he is the 15th best RT but best C, then you play him at center and draft another tackle.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,086

Post#1566 » by MVP2110 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:18 pm

Profound23 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:I think the report to Demovsky could be a smoke screen and maybe they're just doing due diligence in bringing in a bunch of RT only prospects.

Ever since we drafted Tom all I've heard is he can be the best center in the league. If he is the 15th best RT but best C, then you play him at center and draft another tackle.

To clarify he wasn't the 15th best Right Tackle last year. He was the 15th best tackle overall. He was a near top 5 right tackle
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1567 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:25 pm

Profound23 wrote:

Yea, it's an easy choice if what Demovsky said is reflective of what the Packers coaches think. Take the HOF center.
Profound23
RealGM

Post#1568 » by Profound23 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:29 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
Profound23 wrote:

To clarify he wasn't the 15th best Right Tackle last year. He was the 15th best tackle overall. He was a near top 5 right tackle

To clarify I don't care...BEST center.

Jason Kelce in his prime vs Rashan Slater. Worst case scenario the tackle you draft isn't good, move Tom back to tackle. #1 at any OL position means you play him at that position and draft his previous position.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#1569 » by MVP2110 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:32 pm

Profound23 wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:
Profound23 wrote:

Jason Kelce in his prime vs Rashan Slater. Worst case scenario the tackle you draft isn't good, move Tom back to tackle. #1 at any OL position means you play him at that position and draft his previous position.

No chance. Give me a top 5 right tackle over the top center in the league every day of the week. Plus there is absolutely no guarantee that Tom will be THE BEST center in the NFL. That would be the bar you are setting for him, he would have to be Jason Kelce for that idea to make sense as opposed to the top 5 Right Tackle we already know he was.
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1570 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:36 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
Profound23 wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:

No chance. Give me a top 5 right tackle over the top center in the league every day of the week. Plus there is absolutely no guarantee that Tom will be THE BEST center in the NFL. That would be the bar you are setting for him, he would have to be Jason Kelce for that idea to make sense as opposed to the top 5 Right Tackle we already know he was.

I don't know why you think a RT is more important than a center. For years the league has been shifting when it comes to where defenses want to be most effective. It's up the middle. It's why defensive tackles get paid more than defensive ends. Why salaries for interior offensive linemen have absolutely exploded.
Profound23
RealGM

Post#1571 » by Profound23 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:36 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
Profound23 wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:

Again, if that happens it's not like Tom isn't on the team...you can still move him over. But if he is Kelce and the tackle is good we are set.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#1572 » by MVP2110 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:40 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:
Profound23 wrote:

I don't know why you think a RT is more important than a center. For years the league has been shifting when it comes to where defenses want to be most effective. It's up the middle. It's why defensive tackles get paid more than defensive ends. Why salaries for interior offensive linemen have absolutely exploded.

The Interior Oline market might have "exploded" but it's still behind the Tackle market. Good Tackles still get taken way ahead of good interior Olinemen in the draft. In fact the center market is WELL below the tackle market in terms of $$$ NFL teams are shelling out.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#1573 » by MVP2110 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:43 pm

Profound23 wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:
Profound23 wrote:

Again, if that happens it's not like Tom isn't on the team...you can still move him over. But if he is Kelce and the tackle is good we are set.

Sure, it COULD work. I don't have much doubt that Tom could be a very good center. But let's say he becomes a top 5 center instead of the best center in the NFL. Well now all we've done is moved Zach Tom from being a top 5 RT to a top 5 center which is a less valuable position. Plus there is a very real possibility that Tom could get even better at tackle considering he was only 24 last year, I'd rather see if Tom could develop into the best tackle in the NFL rather than the best center.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1574 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:46 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:

The Interior Oline market might have "exploded" but it's still behind the Tackle market. Good Tackles still get taken way ahead of good interior Olinemen in the draft. In fact the center market is WELL below the tackle market in terms of $$$ NFL teams are shelling out.

It's coming. Chris Lindstrom and Robert Hunt now make more than any RT in the NFL. Quenton Nelson makes as much as the 2nd highest paid RT. When Tom inevitably signs his new deal he'll probably set the market for centers.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#1575 » by MVP2110 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:49 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

It's coming. Chris Lindstrom and Robert Hunt now make more than any RT in the NFL. Quenton Nelson makes as much as the 2nd highest paid RT. When Tom inevitably signs his new deal he'll probably set the market for centers.

That won't take much. Jason Kelce was the highest paid center last year at 14.25 mil meanwhile there are TWENTY FOUR tackles who make more than that currently.
Reddeye
Bench Warmer
And1: 271

Post#1576 » by Reddeye » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:28 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:

That won't take much. Jason Kelce was the highest paid center last year at 14.25 mil meanwhile there are TWENTY FOUR tackles who make more than that currently.

Isn't that even more reason to move Tom to center if they are convinced the rookie can be very good at RT? They could pay Tom top price at center and have a rookie at RT on a cheap contract for 4-5 years.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1577 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:29 pm

Consensus rankings of verified Packers visits:

23 - OT Amarius Mims, Georgia
24 - CB Kool-Aid McKinstry, Alabama
30 - OT Tyler Guyton, Oklahoma
41 - LB Edgerrin Cooper, Texas A&M
59 - Edge Marshawn Kneeland, Western Michigan
69 - DL Michael Hall Jr., Ohio State
77 - DL Maason Smith, LSU
82 - Edge Austin Booker, Kansas
83 - WR Jermaine Burton, Alabama
111 - OL Zak Zinter, Michigan
114 - RB Ray Davis, Kentucky
121 - LB Trevin Wallace, Kentucky
136 - CB Jarrian Jones, Florida State
155 - DL Khristian Boyd, Northern Iowa
159 - S Kitan Oladapo, Oregon State
162 - LB Ty’Ron Hopper, Missouri
340 - CB Ja’Quan Sheppard, Maryland
344 - S Akeem Dent, Florida State
346 - OT Giovanni Manu, British Columbia
351 - OL Donovan Jennings, USF
366 - DB Omar Brown, Nebraska
504 - QB Gavin Hardison, UTEP
NR - DB Chris Edmonds, Arizona State
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#1578 » by MVP2110 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:30 pm

Reddeye wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

Isn't that even more reason to move Tom to center if they are convinced the rookie can be very good at RT? They could pay Tom top price at center and have a rookie at RT on a cheap contract for 4-5 years.

Why would Tom accept a deal that paid him anything less than top tackle money after proving he can be a top tackle?
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1579 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:31 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
Reddeye wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:

Why would Tom accept a deal that paid him anything less than top tackle money after proving he can be a top tackle?

Jenkins did.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#1580 » by MVP2110 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:39 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:
Reddeye wrote:

Jenkins did.

The deal Elgton Jenkins signed paid him 3.5 million more than any center in the NFL at that time and gave him borderline top 10 tackle money for a guy who had played a ton more guard, he only had about half a season of starting tackle production at that point.

Return to Green Bay Packers