ImageImage

2024 NFL Draft - five picks in the first three rounds (seven in four! [probably])

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,102

Re: 2024 NFL Draft - five picks in the first three rounds (seven in four! [probably]) 

Post#1581 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:45 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:
Why would Tom accept a deal that paid him anything less than top tackle money after proving he can be a top tackle?

Jenkins did.

The deal Elgton Jenkins signed paid him 3.5 million more than any center in the NFL at that time and gave him borderline top 10 tackle money for a guy who had played a ton more guard, he only had about half a season of starting tackle production at that point.

He got $24 million fully guaranteed, a contract that made him the 2nd highest paid guard in the league.

If signed a deal now that made him the 2nd highest paid guard, he'd get north of $44 million guranteed. The highest fully guaranteed RT tackle is at $43 million.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,089

Re: 2024 NFL Draft - five picks in the first three rounds (seven in four! [probably]) 

Post#1582 » by MVP2110 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:58 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
Jenkins did.

The deal Elgton Jenkins signed paid him 3.5 million more than any center in the NFL at that time and gave him borderline top 10 tackle money for a guy who had played a ton more guard, he only had about half a season of starting tackle production at that point.

He got $24 million total guaranteed, a contract that made him the 2nd highest paid guard in the league.

If signed a deal now that made him the 2nd highest paid guard, he'd make north of $44 million. The highest fully guaranteed RT tackle is at $43 million.

Sure, the NFL clearly values Tackles more than Guards more than Centers. We can see that with how much NFL teams are willing to pay each position and how high teams are willing to draft each position.

But I don't think there is a world that Tom would sign an extension to just be the highest paid center after proving how good of a tackle he is given the massive market differences between the two positions. Again there are 24 Tackles who make more than the highest paid center. I don't think Tom would sign a deal that would be the equivalent of the 25th highest paid Tackle. If you even offered him a deal that would put him in the top 15 of Tackles you are looking a contract that would have him make over 4 million more than the current highest paid Center, and that's if he'd accept being the 15th highest paid tackle. The two positions are valued very very differently by NFL front offices and we all know Tom & his agent will use his good tackle play to boost that contract up as much as they can.
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1583 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:15 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:

He got $24 million total guaranteed, a contract that made him the 2nd highest paid guard in the league.

If signed a deal now that made him the 2nd highest paid guard, he'd make north of $44 million. The highest fully guaranteed RT tackle is at $43 million.

Sure, the NFL clearly values Tackles more than Guards more than Centers. We can see that with how much NFL teams are willing to pay each position and how high teams are willing to draft each position.

But I don't think there is a world that Tom would sign an extension to just be the highest paid center after proving how good of a tackle he is given the massive market differences between the two positions. Again there are 24 Tackles who make more than the highest paid center. I don't think Tom would sign a deal that would be the equivalent of the 25th highest paid Tackle. If you even offered him a deal that would put him in the top 15 of Tackles you are looking a contract that would have him make over 4 million more than the current highest paid Center, and that's if he'd accept being the 15th highest paid tackle. The two positions are valued very very differently by NFL front offices and we all know Tom & his agent will use his good tackle play to boost that contract up as much as they can.

He isn't playing like a top tackle, though. He hasn't played left tackle, at all. He's been a good right tackle, and those guys have gotten between $24 and $35 million. My guess is Tom resets the center market and gets close to top RT money, which would put him around $35 million next season.

That's #1 center, #6 RT, #4 guard kind of money.

This discussion has been a waste of time and has nothing to do with the draft and for that I'm sorry, everyone.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#1584 » by MVP2110 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:32 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

He isn't playing like a top tackle, though. He hasn't played left tackle, at all. He's been a good right tackle, and those guys have gotten between $24 and $35 million. My guess is Tom resets the center market and gets close to top RT money, which would put him around $35 million next season.

This discussion has been a waste of time and has nothing to do with the draft and for that I'm sorry, everyone.

Brian O'Neill is the 6th highest paid RT this year per Spotrac at $18.5 million. That is $5 million more than the highest paid center currently gets. That would mean Tom would get a 27% increase on top of the current center market. It's insane to pay any center that much over market
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
LittleRooster
General Manager
And1: 3,120

Post#1585 » by LittleRooster » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:34 pm

What incentive does Tom have to moving to center? He loses out financially

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1586 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:44 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:

Brian O'Neill is the 6th highest paid RT this year per Spotrac at $18.5 million. That is $5 million more than the highest paid center currently gets. That would mean Tom would get a 27% increase on top of the current center market. It's insane to pay any center that much over market

I was talking about fully guaranteed. The highest total guaranteed contract signed by a center is Frank Ragnow at $42 million, a deal he signed back in 2021. The 5th highest total guaranteed deal by a right tackle is O'Niell at $49 million, with Taylor Moton behind him at $43 million.

Again, my guess is Tom to get #1 center money, or #6 RT money.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1587 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:45 pm

LittleRooster wrote:What incentive does Tom have to moving to center? He loses out financially

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What choice does he have? He's going to play where the Packers what him to.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#1588 » by MVP2110 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:46 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

I was talking about fully guaranteed. The highest total guaranteed contract signed by a center is Frank Ragnow at $42 million, a deal he signed back in 2021. The 5th highest total guaranteed deal by a right tackle is O'Niell at $49 million, with Taylor Moton behind him at $43 million.

Guarenteed money is all well and good but it's not the only thing that matters. APY matters too. Brian O'Neill is going to get 18.5 million dollars this season, that's the 6th most among RT and 5 million more than any center. Why would Zach Tom accept anything less than that?
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1589 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:49 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:

Guarenteed money is all well and good but it's not the only thing that matters. APY matters too. Brian O'Neill is going to get 18.5 million dollars this season, that's the 6th most among RT and 5 million more than any center. Why would Zach Tom accept anything less than that?

What's Tom's case for being paid top of the market RT money after a season and a half's worth of starts with no post-season accolades?
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#1590 » by MVP2110 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:51 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

What's Tom's case for being paid top of the market RT money after a season and a half's worth of starts with no post-season accolades?

Yes, that's exactly it. A season and a half of being a top 5-10 RT absolutely would get him paid top tackle money especially when his age is factored in.
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,278

Post#1591 » by jakecronus8 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:19 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:Would 25, 41, and Christian Watson be enough to move up to Atlanta's pick (8th)? MHJ and Nabers would be off the board but getting ahead of the Bears is probably Odunze's floor. But at that point I'd probably be more interested in Dallas Turner or Joe Alt.

For me it would be tough between Odunze and Mitchell. But given we used Watson in this instance I'd probably go Odunze.

If they were going that high the only guy I'd be happy with is Alt. Looks like Joe Thomas to me.
Do it for Chuck
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,845

Post#1592 » by Matches Malone » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:07 am

Read on Twitter
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#1593 » by MVP2110 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:07 pm

One of the my favorite pieces of information for the draft. Studies have shown that the consensus big board is a more accurate determination of a players success than the NFL Draft itself. Arif Hasan imo puts together the best consensus board of anyone and he goes into detail with how he arrives where he does. With that said here it is

Read on Twitter
?t=mHzJBFNh4myePDGmWRRFBg&s=19
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#1594 » by MVP2110 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:29 pm

Another key piece of information as far as trying to figure out exactly who the Packers will be targeting

Read on Twitter
?t=S8-jnSmE4YTnxe-pPyfkiQ&s=19
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1595 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:03 pm

Farrar's Top 50 player comparisons.

1. Jayden Daniels, QB, LSU: Robert Griffin III
2. Caleb Williams, QB, USC: Aaron Rodgers
3. Malik Nabers, WR, LSU: Justin Jefferson
4. Marvin Harrison Jr., WR, Ohio State: Larry Fitzgerald
5. Rome Odunze, WR, Washington: DeAndre Hopkins
6. Quinyon Mitchell, CB, Toledo: Richard Sherman
7. Brock Bowers, TE, Georgia: George Kittle
8. Troy Fautanu, OT, Washington: David Bakhtiari
9. Terrion Arnold, CB, Alabama: Marshon Lattimore
10. Jared Verse, EDGE, Florida State: Ryan Kerrigan
11. Taliese Fuaga, OT, Oregon State: Tristian Wirfs
12. Johnny (Jer'zhan) Newton, DL, Illinois: Geno Atkins
13. Dallas Turner, EDGE, Alabama: Brian Burns
14. Laiatu Latu, EDGE, UCLA: Maxx Crosby
15. Michael Penix Jr., QB, Washington: Geno Smith
16. Nate Wiggins, CB, Clemson: Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie
17. Olumuyiwa Fashanu, OT, Penn State: Christian Darrisaw
18. Brian Thomas Jr., WR, LSU: Brandon Aiyuk
19. Joe Alt, OT, Notre Dame: Taylor Decker
20. Byron Murphy II, DL, Texas: Grady Jarrett
21. Drake Maye, QB, North Carolina: Ryan Tannehill
22. JC Latham, OT, Alabama: Cordy Glenn
23. Tyler Guyton, OT, Oklahoma: Lane Johnson
24. Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon: Alex Mack
25. Troy Franklin, WR, Oregon: Terry McLaurin
26. Adonai Mitchell, WR, Texas: Jordan Addison
27. Bo Nix, QB, Oregon: Dak Prescott
28. Javon Bullard, S, Georgia: Antoine Winfield Jr.
29. Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB, Alabama: A.J. Terrell
30. Chop Robinson, EDGE, Penn State: Shaquil Barrett
31. Cooper DeJean, CB, Iowa: Trayvon Mullen
32. Ladd McConkey, WR, Georgia: Amon-Ra St. Brown
33. Dadrion Taylor-Demerson, S, Texas Tech: Jalen Pitre
34. Payton Wilson, LB, North Carolina State: Frankie Luvu
35. Amarius Mims, OT, Georgia: Terron Aemstead
36. Xavier Legette, WR, South Carolina: A.J. Brown
37. Cole Bishop, S, Utah: Jordan Whitehead
38. J.J. McCarthy, QB, Michigan: Alex Smith
39. Jonathon Brooks, RB, Texas: Raheem Mostert
40. Darius Robinson, DL, Missouri: Aldon Smith
41. Mike Sainristil, SLOT, Michigan: Mike Hilton
42. Marshawn Kneeland, DL, Western Michigan: Za'Darius Smith
43. Spencer Rattler, QB, South Carolina: Baker Mayfield
44. Xavier Worthy, WR, Texas: DeVonta Smith
45. Patrick Paul, OT. Houston: Andrew Whitworth
46. Ennis Rakestraw Jr., CB, Missouri: Taron Johnson
47. Edgerrin Cooper, LB, Texas A&M: Shaquille Leonard
48. Jordan Travis, QB, Florida State: Tua Tagovailoa
49. Max Melton, CB, Rutgers: James Bradberry
50. Ja'Tavion Sanders, TE, Texas: David Njoku
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#1596 » by MVP2110 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:14 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Farrar's Top 50 player comparisons.

Why is every player compared to a pro bowler or Hall of Famer? This is I don't pay attention to player comparisons

Also is he taking RG3 over Aaron Rodgers?
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1597 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:18 pm

MVP2110 wrote:

Why is every player compared to a pro bowler or Hall of Famer? This is I don't pay attention to player comparisons

Because no one taking a guy in the top fifty thinks they're drafting a dud. They're hoping the guy ends up being the best version of what the tape and measurables show.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#1598 » by MVP2110 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:24 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:

Because no one taking a guy in the top fifty thinks they're drafting a dud. They're hoping the guy ends up being the best version of what the tape and measurables show.

There is zero chance teams think there are 50 pro bowlers in this draft. There is a large difference between drafting a dud and a pro bowler. We know most teams have about 15-20 players with 1st round grades in a given year. I'd venture to guess those are the guys that team thinks will be a Pro bowler. After those 15-20 players teams are just hoping to grab guys who can be starters.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,172
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#1599 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:40 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:

There is zero chance teams think there are 50 pro bowlers in this draft. There is a large difference between drafting a dud and a pro bowler. We know most teams have about 15-20 players with 1st round grades in a given year. I'd venture to guess those are the guys that team thinks will be a Pro bowler. After those 15-20 players teams are just hoping to grab guys who can be starters.

I think we're talking about the archetype of player in their best-case scenario. It's kind of odd that people take issue with this.

A fan that has not eaten weeks of tape might understand the connection of Bo Nix to Dak Prescott and the characteristics he has/that make him good. They may not be able to make such a connection to Jake Locker or even know who he is. This is fine.

It's completely reasonable to infer upside of a player to a good/great NFL player than to come out in a comparison article and call your shot that the guy is Josh Rosen. If you're doing this, that means you are adding your own analysis to the article by actually saying various guys will suck or tiering them by comparisons vs. just giving an archetype and what they may look like if they are good NFL players.

There isn't a need to push up the nerd glasses and note that 90+% of these guys won't reach that level. Everybody gets that.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#1600 » by MVP2110 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:50 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

I think we're talking about the archetype of player in their best-case scenario. It's kind of odd that people take issue with this.

A fan that has not eaten weeks of tape might understand the connection of Bo Nix to Dak Prescott and the characteristics he has/that make him good. They may not be able to make such a connection to Jake Locker or even know who he is. This is fine.

It's completely reasonable to infer upside of a player to a good/great NFL player than to come out in a comparison article and call your shot that the guy is Josh Rosen. If you're doing this, that means you are adding your own analysis to the article by actually saying various guys will suck or tiering them by comparisons vs. just giving an archetype and what they may look like if they are good NFL players.

There isn't a need to push up the nerd glasses and note that 90+% of these guys won't reach that level. Everybody gets that.

If Farrar(or any draft analyst, I don't mean to pick on just him) had said this was each prospects best case scenario then that's fair, I'd love for analysts to do a best case/worst case/middle case scenario. Frankly I don't think analysts talk about bust potential on top prospects enough. We know every draft has them so I think trying to find out which players have the highest bust potential is relevant. But when analysts only project to best case scenario then the exercise is flawed from the start.

Return to Green Bay Packers