ImageImage

2024 NFL Draft - five picks in the first three rounds (seven in four! [probably])

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,077

2024 NFL Draft - five picks in the first three rounds (seven in four! [probably]) 

Post#1 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Jul 6, 2023 1:17 pm

ESPN released an early mock:

7. Green Bay Packers
Joe Alt, OT, Notre Dame

The Packers gave quarterback Jordan Love a one-year extension, meaning he could have more than just 2023 to prove he's their starter. Now they need to get more help around him. At 6-foot-7 and 317 pounds, Alt is a well-built tackle with all of the tools to be a high-level starter, though his game is a little raw at the moment. He is a little more technically advanced at this stage, but he reminds me of Brian O'Neill as a prospect. The Packers haven't drafted an offensive lineman in the first round since 2011 (Derek Sherrod), but Alt is the type of prospect who could push Green Bay to break that trend.

Potential needs: S, OT, WR

23. Green Bay Packers (via NYJ)
Kamren Kinchens, S, Miami

Technically, this pick is still the Jets' property, but we're assuming here that Aaron Rodgers plays at least 65% of the snaps for New York this season -- which would hand the selection to Green Bay. The Packers' secondary has lacked a versatile safety who can patrol the third level of the defense for a while, and Kinchens is a rangy mistake-eraser on the back end. He has outstanding ball skills (six interceptions last year) and is a consistent wrap-up tackler.

Potential needs: S, OT, WR

In a vacuum I wouldn't be able to complain about Joe Alt. But if we pass on Brock Bowers it would have to mean that both Musgrave and Kraft look like stars this season.
Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,748

Re: 2024 NFL Draft - Two first round picks 

Post#2 » by Treebeard » Thu Jul 6, 2023 2:06 pm

At this point, I wouldn't complain about either pick. Both could be BPA AND position of need.

The Pack may well need one, if not two RBs by next Spring too, but that could be later rounds or FA. Same might apply to MLB. Campbell could wind up as a cap casualty and we will see if Walker makes a step ahead
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,591

Post#3 » by Profound23 » Thu Jul 6, 2023 10:41 pm

I don't care if we drafted two TE's early this year, if we end up #7 and Brock Bowers is still there you take him and figure it out.

Or you try to trade pick #7/#23 for Harrison Jr.

I would not hate Alt if we are able to trade Bakhtiari for any draft picks at all.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Jul 7, 2023 1:49 am

I think we're gonna be closer to division champs than the division basement. If I were putting money on it I would bet the Packers have a better record than the Jets this season.

But if I'm hugely wrong, Love is much worse than I anticipate, or Love goes down with a season ender early I'm going to dreaming about Harrison Jr and Bowers.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,510

Post#5 » by MickeyDavis » Fri Jul 7, 2023 2:22 am

Harrison Jr :droop:
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#6 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Jul 7, 2023 4:02 am

The last WR to go #1 overall was Keyshawn Johnson, and that's honestly not even a terrible comparison.
TroyD92
RealGM
And1: 10,744

Post#7 » by TroyD92 » Fri Jul 7, 2023 10:51 am

Think Caleb Williams goes first. I do love young Marvin though
VooDoo7 wrote:
JEIS wrote:

Kidd would have curb stomped him.

Maybe if his name was Denise instead of Dennis.

Fotis St wrote:Wherever you are David, I love you man.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,066

Post#8 » by MVP2110 » Sat Jul 8, 2023 3:14 pm

TroyD92 wrote:Think Caleb Williams goes first. I do love young Marvin though

There's a non zero chance Arizona gets both
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Aug 15, 2023 2:20 pm

Read on Twitter

Christmas in the middle of summer for draft folks.

2. Marvin Harrison Jr., Ohio State, wide receiver
There isn’t a better player in college football right now, regardless of position. Last year, he caught 77 passes for 1,263 yards and 14 touchdowns. In five games against top-15 opponents (vs. No. 11 Utah in the Rose Bowl, No. 5 Notre Dame, No. 13 Penn State, No. 3 Michigan and No. 1 Georgia), he had 33 receptions for 538 yards and six touchdowns. At 6-4, 208, the son of a Pro Football Hall of Fame receiver is remarkably gifted. He has everything. He’s very strong — he bench presses 380 pounds and did 20 reps of 225 on the bench and squatted 500. He’s very explosive, having broad-jumped 10 feet 8, and he’s really sudden, having clocked a 3.94 in the shuttle and improved on his max velocity from last year, up to 23.5 MPH. Asked for what training result he’s most proud of, he says it’s his 5-10-5, given his height and weight, yet still can run a sub-4-second time.

He tells The Athletic he’ll run in the high 4.3s at the NFL Scouting Combine next spring.

“My diet has gotten pretty strict,” he says of the changes he’s made to keep sharpening his game. “I try not to eat too much sugar. I removed mostly dairy out of my diet. Just preparing myself to try and live that pro life and taking care of myself.”

Harrison Jr. running anything close to 4.3 would be incredible. His speed was the only thing people had questions about.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:34 pm

ESPN has a mock out, with the Packers picking 7th and 23rd.

7. Green Bay Packers
Joe Alt, OT, Notre Dame

We can assume based on the Packers' drafting history that this pick won't be a wide receiver, and we still don't know what they have in Jordan Love at quarterback. Regardless, this roster is in need of some level of rebuild, notably along the offensive line. Left tackle David Bakhtiari turns 32 this season and has just two years left on his contract. Alt could slide in perfectly given his experience in a pro-style offense at Notre Dame. He surrendered just one sack and five pressures last season, and at 6-8, 320 pounds, the 20-year-old could bring power to the Green Bay offense.

23. Green Bay Packers (via NYJ*)
Barrett Carter, LB, Clemson

Let's just assume Aaron Rodgers plays 65% of the Jets' snaps this season, which means the Packers would have this second pick in Round 1. Green Bay doesn't have anyone like Carter, a three-down playmaker on defense, and while most project him as a weakside linebacker in the pros, he has the tools to line up off the ball or as a stack 'backer. He had 5.5 sacks, 73 tackles, eight tackles for loss, two interceptions and two forced fumbles last season. His instincts are top notch, and Carter has amazing short-area speed and surprising power for a 6-1, 225-pound linebacker. Scouts are already buzzing about him as a potential top-10 talent in the class.

Couldn't hate it.
jakecronus8
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Post#11 » by jakecronus8 » Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:34 am

I can see them picking 7 and 23 just flip their Jets and Packers predictions.
Do it for Chuck
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:01 pm

PFF has released their early Top 150. Some notes from the top 30:

1. QB CALEB WILLIAMS, USC
2. WR MARVIN HARRISON JR., OHIO STATE
Right now, Marvin Harrison Jr. is getting top-three-overall-pick kind of hype for the 2024 NFL Draft. If you’re looking for us to temper that hype, you’re going to be disappointed.

Harrison, son of NFL Hall of Famer and Indianapolis Colts legend Marvin Harrison Sr., is as alluring as they come. His 6-foot-4, 210-pound measurables check the boxes for a WR1. Right away you can tell he grew up playing the position with how precise and calculated his hands and feet are at the snap out of his release, especially against press coverage. His hands are excellent, as evidenced by his 60.0% contested catch percentage last season. But he’s not just a big possession guy; his 36 explosive plays (passing plays of 15 yards or more) were the most for a wide receiver in the FBS in 2022.

He’s the total package, and one of the top receivers we’ve seen come through college football in recent years (and that’s really saying something).

3. TE BROCK BOWERS, GEORGIA
Not long after Kyle Pitts dominated his way through the NFL draft process to become the No. 4 overall pick in 2021, Bowers might be the highest-drafted tight end in history.

If Bowers could have declared after his true freshman season, he would’ve been a first-round pick. The 6-foot-4, 240-pound tight end gives shades of George Kittle with his ability to impact the offense as a receiver and blocker. He posted 92.2 and 90.5 receiving grades as an underclassman in 2021 and 2022, respectively. His 24 explosive plays (passing plays of 15 yards or more) in 2022 were the most in the FBS for any tight end.

And when it comes to catches through traffic (a necessity for tight ends), he recorded a 76.5% contested catch percentage last season, which was top-10 for all FBS pass-catchers.

Expect him to be one of the highest-ranked players in the class, regardless of position.

4. T OLUMUYIWA FASHANU, PENN STATE
5. QB DRAKE MAYE, NORTH CAROLINA
6. EDGE JARED VERSE, FLORIDA STATE
7. CB KOOL-AID MCKINSTRY, ALABAMA
8. CB KALEN KING, PENN STATE
9. EDGE CHOP ROBINSON, PENN STATE
10. DI JER'ZHAN NEWTON, ILLINOIS
11. CB COOPER DEJEAN, IOWA
12. DI LEONARD TAYLOR III, MIAMI (FL.)
13. EDGE LAIATU LATU, UCLA
4. WR MALIK NABERS, LSU
The 6-foot, 200-pound Nabers is a true playmaker. He recorded 1,017 receiving yards in 2022, and 48.6% of those came after the catch. He’s also made his case as one of the most natural and reliable pass-catchers in the class, with a 93.5% catchable pass percentage and a 61.9% contested catch percentage. He looks smooth as he accelerates and explodes out of his breaks. He’s also not limited to playing in the slot or on the outside — he can do it all.

It’s hard to watch his 2022 tape and not see a future difference-maker at the pro level.

15. S KAMREN KINCHENS, MIAMI (FL.)
Two years ago, Kinchens was just a three-star safety recruit. He was the 21st-ranked safety in the 2021 recruiting class and the 320th-ranked player by 247Sports. Now, heading into his first draft-eligible season, you’ll find his name atop most preseason safety rankings for the 2024 NFL Draft.

Kinchens brings top-notch free safety ability to the deep parts of the field and earned an elite 90.7 coverage grade in 2022. His range in coverage is impressive thanks to a good pairing of long speed and awareness. He also has excellent ball skills to come up with takeaways, as evidenced by his six interceptions and three forced incompletions last year.

He could stand to be more tenacious when attacking ball carriers in run defense, but his mindset, athletic ability and size (6-foot, 205 pounds) for the position are that of a true playmaker.

16. WR EMEKA EGBUKA, OHIO STATE
17. T JOE ALT, NOTRE DAME
The massive 6-foot-8 Joe Alt has been on NFL radars since high school. His frame will naturally remind people of former Notre Dame offensive tackle Mike McGlinchey, who was 6-foot-7 and 309 pounds at the 2018 NFL Combine.

Alt provides the same allurement with his size; he’s just so tough to get around. But where some offensive tackles get by with just being mountains on the edge, Alt has some finesse to his game, too. His feet are light and quick for a player of his size, and that showed up in his PFF stats, as he allowed just a 2.5% pressure rate on 409 pass-blocking snaps in 2022. He also showed his power in the ground game with an elite 91.4 run-blocking grade. He could make a case as the top offensive tackle in the draft.

18. T GRAHAM BARTON, DUKE
19. WR KEON COLEMAN, FLORIDA STATE
Normal 6-foot-4, 215-pound receivers don't move the way Keon Coleman does. He was a two-sport athlete in high school, playing both football and basketball, and he was so good at both that he even played for Tom Izzo’s men’s basketball team at Michigan State for one season while also contributing at wide receiver on the football team.

His body is well filled out, and that gives him a lot of strength at the catch point. Go pop on the Michigan tape from 2022, and you’ll see a player who simply would not be denied the football when it was in his vicinity, no matter how many defenders were near him or even on him.

He’s an “X” receiver type who came down with 12 contested catches and recorded a 60% contested catch percentage last season. Now at Florida State, he’ll have quarterback Jordan Tavis throwing him the football, which could lead to his most productive season yet.

20. DI KRIS JENKINS, MICHIGAN
21. CB JOSH NEWTON, TCU
22. EDGE DALLAS TURNER, ALABAMA
23. T JC LATHAM, ALABAMA
24. LB BARRETT CARTER, CLEMSON
Carter is the next super athlete linebacker to come from Clemson, but unlike some before him, he's a linebacker first and an athlete second. He’s a former five-star recruit, and the athletic pillars of that rating show up immediately. His potential as a run defender, pass-rusher and coverage player is high, as he did not record a grade below 75.0 in any of those three categories.

Carter forced five incompletions in coverage and notched 24 total pressures in 2022 (10.3% pass-rush win percentage). When he's been able to anticipate, his impact is high with forced incompletions and key stops. He has first-round ability.

25. EDGE BRALEN TRICE, WASHINGTON
26. QB BO NIX, OREGON
27. CB CAELEN CARSON, WAKE FOREST
28. WR ADONAI MITCHELL, TEXAS
29. WR JOHNNY WILSON, FLORIDA STATE
30. WR XAVIER WORTHY, TEXAS
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,706

Post#13 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:15 pm

I keep trying to nitpick and find the weaknesses in Harrison Jr's profile, but I can't. He's the best WR prospect since at least Julio Jones, maybe even CJ.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:19 pm

I've day dreamed about the Packers having a top five pick, but if I were betting on it I'd guess both picks end up in the mid to late 20s.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:02 pm

Kiper released his top 50 and rankings.

1. Caleb Williams, USC
2. Drake Maye, North Carolina
3. Riley Leonard, Duke
4. Bo Nix, Oregon
5. Michael Penix Jr., Washington
6. Quinn Ewers, Texas

Running backs
1. TreVeyon Henderson, Ohio State
2. Blake Corum, Michigan
3. Donovan Edwards, Michigan
4. Braelon Allen, Wisconsin
5. Trey Benson, Florida State
6. Audric Estime, Notre Dame

Wide receivers
1. Marvin Harrison Jr., Ohio State
2. Keon Coleman, Florida State
3. Malik Nabers, LSU
4. Emeka Egbuka, Ohio State
5. Rome Odunze, Washington
6. Xavier Worthy, Texas

Tight ends
1. Brock Bowers, Georgia
2. Ja'Tavion Sanders, Texas
3. Ben Sinnott, Kansas State
4. Luke Lachey, Iowa
5. Cade Stover, Ohio State
6. Brevyn Spann-Ford, Minnesota

Fullbacks/H-backs
1. Jaheim Bell, Florida State
2. Oronde Gadsden II, Syracuse
3. Brant Kuithe, Utah
4. Trey Knox, South Carolina
5. Jared Wiley, TCU
6. Marshel Martin, Sacramento State

Offensive tackles
1. Olumuyiwa Fashanu, Penn State
2. Joe Alt, Notre Dame
3. JC Latham, Alabama
4. Amarius Mims, Georgia
5. Kingsley Suamataia, BYU
6. Jordan Morgan, Arizona

Guards
1. Cooper Beebe, Kansas State
2. Christian Mahogany, Boston College
3. Troy Fautanu, Washington
4. Zak Zinter, Michigan
5. Joshua Gray, Oregon State
6. Donovan Jackson, Ohio State

Centers
1. Sedrick Van Pran, Georgia
2. Graham Barton, Duke
3. Zach Frazier, West Virginia
4. Logan Jones, Iowa
5. Matt Lee, Miami
6. Beaux Limmer, Arkansas

Defensive ends
1. Jared Verse, Florida State
2. JT Tuimoloau, Ohio State
3. Adisa Isaac, Penn State
4. Braiden McGregor, Michigan
5. Eric Watts, Connecticut
6. Bralen Trice, Washington

Defensive tackles
1. Leonard Taylor III, Miami
2. Kris Jenkins, Michigan
3. Jer'Zhan Newton, Illinois
4. Maason Smith, LSU
5. Michael Hall Jr., Ohio State
6. McKinnley Jackson, Texas A&M

Off-ball linebackers
1. Jeremiah Trotter Jr., Clemson
2. Junior Colson, Michigan
3. Jaylan Ford, Texas
4. Smael Mondon, Georgia
5. Nick Jackson, Iowa
6. Tommy Eichenberg, Ohio State

Outside linebackers
1. Chop Robinson, Penn State
2. Dallas Turner, Alabama
3. Laiatu Latu, UCLA
4. Barrett Carter, Clemson
5. Steve Linton, Texas Tech
6. Curtis Jacobs, Penn State

Cornerbacks
1. Kool-Aid McKinstry, Alabama
2. Kalen King, Penn State
3. Cooper DeJean, Iowa
4. Josh Newton, TCU
5. Denzel Burke, Ohio State
6. Jason Marshall Jr., Florida

Safeties
1. Kamren Kinchens, Miami
2. Tyler Nubin, Minnesota
3. Calen Bullock, USC
4. Rod Moore, Michigan
5. Lathan Ransom, Ohio State
6. Javon Bullard, Georgia

Kickers
1. Joshua Karty, Stanford
2. Will Reichard, Alabama
3. Harrison Mevis, Missouri
4. Alex McNulty, Buffalo
5. John Hoyland, Wyoming

Punters
1. Tory Taylor, Iowa
2. Kai Kroeger, South Carolina
3. Austin McNamara, Texas Tech
4. Jack Browning, San Diego State
5. Mason Fletcher, Cincinnati
Treebeard
Head Coach

Post#16 » by Treebeard » Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:33 pm

Not at all likely for a 1st rounder, but how likely do the Pack prioritze a Center?
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#17 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:19 pm

Treebeard wrote:Not at all likely for a 1st rounder, but how likely do the Pack prioritze a Center?

Tackle, center, running back, defensive line, and safety seem like the most obvious needs.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Sep 4, 2023 1:12 am

Keon Coleman's looked really good against LSU.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Sep 5, 2023 1:49 pm

PFF has their first mock of the season up.

1. ARIZONA CARDINALS: QB CALEB WILLIAMS, USC
2. ARIZONA CARDINALS (VIA HOU): WR MARVIN HARRISON JR., OHIO STATE
3. INDIANAPOLIS COLTS: OT OLU FASHANU, PENN STATE
4. TENNESSEE TITANS: OT JOE ALT, NOTRE DAME
5. TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS: QB DRAKE MAYE, NORTH CAROLINA
6. LOS ANGELES RAMS: EDGE JARED VERSE, FLORIDA STATE
7. LAS VEGAS RAIDERS: QB BO NIX, OREGON
8. CHICAGO BEARS: EDGE LAIATU LATU, UCLA
9. WASHINGTON COMMANDERS: TE BROCK BOWERS, GEORGIA
10. ATLANTA FALCONS: QB MICHAEL PENIX JR., WASHINGTON
11. GREEN BAY PACKERS: CB KOOL-AID MCKINSTRY, ALABAMA
12. NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS: WR MALIK NABERS, LSU
13. MINNESOTA VIKINGS: CB KALEN KING, PENN STATE
14. CHICAGO BEARS: DI LEONARD TAYLOR III, MIAMI (FL.)
15. DENVER BRONCOS: LB BARRETT CARTER, CLEMSON
16. HOUSTON TEXANS (VIA CLE): WR KEON COLEMAN, FLORIDA STATE
17. PITTSBURGH STEELERS: CB/S COOPER DEJEAN, IOWA
18. NEW YORK GIANTS: WR EMEKA EGBUKA, OHIO STATE
19. NEW ORLEANS SAINTS: EDGE CHOP ROBINSON, PENN STATE
20. SEATTLE SEAHAWKS: DI JER’ZHAN NEWTON, ILLINOIS
21. JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS: OT GRAHAM BARTON, DUKE
22. LOS ANGELES CHARGERS: DI KRIS JENKINS JR., MICHIGAN
23. MIAMI DOLPHINS: OT JC LATHAM, ALABAMA
24. DETROIT LIONS: EDGE BRALEN TRICE, WASHINGTON
25. BALTIMORE RAVENS: OT AMARIUS MIMS, GEORGIA
26. GREEN BAY PACKERS: OT JORDAN MORGAN, ARIZONA
27. DALLAS COWBOYS: S KAMREN KINCHENS, MIAMI (FL.)
28. BUFFALO BILLS: EDGE DALLAS TURNER, ALABAMA
29. SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS: S TYLER NUBIN, MINNESOTA
30. CINCINNATI BENGALS: TE JA’TAVION SANDERS, TEXAS
31. PHILADELPHIA EAGLES: DI MAASON SMITH, LSU
32. KANSAS CITY CHIEFS: WR ADONAI MITCHELL, TEXAS

It's a pretty great year for the Packers to have two first rounders. Draft is loaded at OT, there's at least three first round safeties, and my guess is you'll have at least five QBs (but there could be seven, maybe??) go in the top ten. I called Anthony Richardson after one game last year. This year it's Shedeur Sanders and Joe Milton.
Treebeard
Head Coach

Post#20 » by Treebeard » Tue Sep 5, 2023 5:15 pm

^^^ Thanks for posting these mocks. I don't follow College ball nearly as much as I used to, and how pro GMs evaluate talent is often a mystery. Still,.... tracking the rise and fall of first round prospects is interesting.

Return to Green Bay Packers