ImageImage

2024 NFL Draft - five picks in the first three rounds (seven in four! [probably])

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,809

Re: 2024 NFL Draft - five picks in the first three rounds (seven in four! [probably]) 

Post#1541 » by Ron Swanson » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:09 pm

I seriously doubt it, but if a 3rd is all you can get for him then I'm not dumping Kenny for that. Better to have him for this year then let him walk in free agency for a future comp pick.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,857

Re: 2024 NFL Draft - five picks in the first three rounds (seven in four! [probably]) 

Post#1542 » by coolhandluke121 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:12 pm

I don't know exactly what Clark is worth, but I would be shocked if the original proposed trade is an option. I would probably do the proposed trade even without the future first, even though I know I'm probably taking Clark for granted a little. He hasn't been dominating lately, but he's still pretty good, and they don't have much margin of error in the front 7 IMO.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,107

Post#1543 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:31 pm

Read on Twitter

Purely as a thought experiment (some team coming up from late in round one in order to grab MHJr, Nabers, or Odunze) what is the most you would give up?

Reminder, this is the trade Schefter was referring to in 2011:

Cleveland trades:

Atlanta trades:
2012 1st
2012 4th

On the surface that looks insane. Three premium picks and two 4th rounders for a WR.

That said, when you look at what Cleveland ended up with it does seem lopsided, just in the other way:

DT Phil Taylor
WR Greg Little
FB Owen Marecic
QB Brandon Weeden
The extra 4th was used to trade up for Trent Richardson.

You couldn't do worse with those picks if you had a dartboard and just blindly picked five random dudes.
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,635

Post#1544 » by Profound23 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:31 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:
Why not?

2024 is the final year of his contract, he's almost 30, and he hasn't been that good.

I think the Packers would do well to get a 3rd for him.

To be clear, he turns 29 in October. Bears just gave up a high 2nd-round pick for Montez Sweat in the final year of his contract and promptly signed him to a big extension, so you'd be looking at a similar situation for whomever trades for him. That proposed deal is probably too good to be true, but I think you guys are massively underrating the market for a still 28-year old, perennial Pro-Bowl defensive tackle.

Two years in the NFL (27 to 29 is huge). I think you could get a 2nd but no more than that. If any team offers a first, especially a future first you take it and run.

A second, fourth, and future first you pack Clark's bags for him and find him a house immediately.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,952

Post#1545 » by Turk Nowitzki » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:39 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Turk Nowitzki wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:Tom is not an All-Pro caliber RT. He didn't even grade out as a better pass protector than Walker last season according to PFF.

Where Tom was much better is as a run blocker. Combine that with his size and it's easy to connect the dots in Demovsky's report, that the Packers see his best fit as a center.

Come on, you're being contrarian just for the sake of it now.

I honestly can't tell if you're being serious or not and I'm not in on the bit.

Totally serious and not a bit. Regardless of his ability to move inside and be great there too, you honestly don't believe Tom is an All Pro level RT? He was **** great last year.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,809

Post#1546 » by Ron Swanson » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:41 pm

Would 25, 41, and Christian Watson be enough to move up to Atlanta's pick (8th)? MHJ and Nabers would be off the board but getting ahead of the Bears is probably Odunze's floor. But at that point I'd probably be more interested in Dallas Turner or Joe Alt.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1547 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:43 pm

Turk Nowitzki wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
Turk Nowitzki wrote:Come on, you're being contrarian just for the sake of it now.

Not a bit. Even if he can move inside and be great there too, you honestly don't believe Tom isn't an All Pro level RT? He was **** great last year.

Last season was his first full-time as a starter, and he didn't even make the Pro Bowl. By no metric anywhere was he All Pro level.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1548 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:45 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Would 25, 41, and Christian Watson be enough to move up to Atlanta's pick (8th)? MHJ and Nabers would be off the board but getting ahead of the Bears is probably Odunze's floor. But at that point I'd probably be more interested in Dallas Turner or Joe Alt.

For me it would be tough between Odunze and Mitchell. But given we used Watson in this instance I'd probably go Odunze.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,857

Post#1549 » by coolhandluke121 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 2:52 pm

Turk Nowitzki wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
Turk Nowitzki wrote:Come on, you're being contrarian just for the sake of it now.

Totally serious and not a bit. Regardless of his ability to move inside and be great there too, you honestly don't believe Tom is an All Pro level RT? He was **** great last year.

Six RT's got all-pro votes, and he wasn't one of them. It's too early in his career to make a declaration either way, but it's not contrarian to predict that he won't be an all-pro caliber RT. That's a damn high bar, and it's possible that last season will end up being his best one, since the NFL is a total meat grinder in so many ways. Guys like Myers, Runyan, and Yosh each had a very good year at some point in the last 3 seasons, and it proved too hard to sustain. I fully expect Tom to be better than them for longer, but there's no guarantee.

There's also a lot of room between "great" and "very effective."
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,635

Post#1550 » by Profound23 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:18 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
2024 is the final year of his contract, he's almost 30, and he hasn't been that good.

I think the Packers would do well to get a 3rd for him.

To be clear, he turns 29 in October. Bears just gave up the 33rd pick for Montez Sweat in the final year of his contract and promptly signed him to a big extension, so you'd be looking at a similar situation for whomever trades for him. That proposed deal is probably too good to be true, but I think you guys are massively underrating the market for a still 28-year old, perennial Pro-Bowl defensive tackle.

Yea, if Sweat got a 2nd I think a 3rd for Kenny is probably right.

If a 3rd is all we can get then I say keep Kenny and you can get a 4th as a comp pick.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1551 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:32 pm

Read on Twitter

Sounds like he's not getting out of the top ten.
MKE_Hodag22
Sophomore
And1: 38

Post#1552 » by MKE_Hodag22 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:39 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Read on Twitter

QB-Williams
RB-Swift, Herbert
WR-Allen, Moore
TE-Bowers

That's certainly a good start for them building an offense. Really comes down to QB play, but that's a lot of weapons to cover for a defense.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,952

Post#1553 » by Turk Nowitzki » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:49 pm

coolhandluke121 wrote:
Turk Nowitzki wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

Six RT's got all-pro votes, and he wasn't one of them. It's too early in his career to make a declaration either way, but it's not contrarian to predict that he won't be an all-pro caliber RT. That's a damn high bar, and it's possible that last season will end up being his best one, since the NFL is a total meat grinder in so many ways. Guys like Myers, Runyan, and Yosh each had a very good year at some point in the last 3 seasons, and it proved too hard to sustain. I fully expect Tom to be better than them for longer, but there's no guarantee.

We're mincing words now. At the absolute worst he is already on the edge of being at an all pro level so I do think it's contrarian to suggest he's not that kind of player. We can't just use "there's no guarantee", there never is and how would we ever discuss anything. He's better player than Myers, JRJ, or Nijman and just having turned 25 years old I don't know how you can view it anything other than that his arrow is still pointing up. Anyways, the draft needs to happen yesterday. :lol:
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1554 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:58 pm

Turk Nowitzki wrote:
coolhandluke121 wrote:
Turk Nowitzki wrote:Totally serious and not a bit. Regardless of his ability to move inside and be great there too, you honestly don't believe Tom is an All Pro level RT? He was **** great last year.

We're mincing words now. At the absolute worst he is already on the edge of being at an all pro level so I do think it's contrarian to suggest he's not that kind of player. We can't just use "there's no guarantee", there never is and how would we ever discuss anything. He's better player than Myers, JRJ, or Nijman and just have turned 25 years old I don't know how you can view it anything other than that his arrow is still pointing up. Anyways, the draft needs to happen yesterday. :lol:

I think he can be an All-Pro/Pro Bowler, it'll just be at guard or center.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,090

Post#1555 » by MVP2110 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:07 pm

It's absolutely ludicrous to say Zach Tom can't be an all pro at RT. He wasn't last year but he was a top 10-15 tackle in his first year starting at 24 years old. It may not be guarenteed that he'll continue to get better but it's also not a guarentee he'll be a better center or guard. Even if Tom plateaus as a top 10-15 tackle for the next 5-6 years that's incredibly valuable and not a player I'm in a big hurry to move off of one of the truly premium positions
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1556 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:33 pm

MVP2110 wrote:It's absolutely ludicrous to say Zach Tom can't be an all pro at RT. He wasn't last year but he was a top 10-15 tackle in his first year starting at 24 years old. It may not be guarenteed that he'll continue to get better but it's also not a guarentee he'll be a better center or guard. Even if Tom plateaus as a top 10-15 tackle for the next 5-6 years that's incredibly valuable and not a player I'm in a big hurry to move off of one of the truly premium positions

No one is saying he can't be a Pro Bowl/All-Pro at OT. I'm objecting to people saying you can't move him because he's already that caliber of OT. He's not. Not in awards, not in how he's performed.

I don't know how people already seem to be forgetting this, but he was looked at as an interior lineman who might be able to play OT. In pre-draft he was moved inside at the Shrine Bowl. He was listed as a center during the draft. Physically it's obvious where his best position is. Then there's his play, where he's shown to be a much better run blocker than a pass blocker.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#1557 » by MVP2110 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:40 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:It's absolutely ludicrous to say Zach Tom can't be an all pro at RT. He wasn't last year but he was a top 10-15 tackle in his first year starting at 24 years old. It may not be guarenteed that he'll continue to get better but it's also not a guarentee he'll be a better center or guard. Even if Tom plateaus as a top 10-15 tackle for the next 5-6 years that's incredibly valuable and not a player I'm in a big hurry to move off of one of the truly premium positions

No one is saying he can't be a Pro Bowl/All-Pro at OT. I'm objecting to people saying you can't move him because he's already that caliber of OT. He's not. Not in awards, not in how he's performed.

I don't know how people already seem to be forgetting this, but he was looked at as an interior lineman who might be able to play OT. In pre-draft he was moved inside at the Shrine Bowl. He was listed as a center during the draft. Physically it's obvious where his best position is. Then there's his play, where he's shown to be a much better run blocker than a pass blocker.

A top 10/15 Tackle > a top 5 Center

Idc about what his pre draft scouting reports said when he's now proven on an NFL Field that can he play tackle at a very high level.
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1558 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Apr 17, 2024 4:53 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

Idc about what his pre draft scouting reports said when he's now proven on an NFL Field that can he play tackle at a very high level.

Very high level = 29th highest graded offensive tackle in pass protection
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#1559 » by MVP2110 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:04 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

Very high level = 29th highest graded offensive tackle in pass protection

I'm not sure why you only focus on one part of being an offensive tackle, run blocking matters too and when you factor in the entirety of his play he was a top 10-15 tackle as a 24 year old. If I could get the exact same play out of Tom that we've gotten to this point in his career for the next 6 years I'd absolutely sign up for that in a heartbeat. Which doesn't factor in any possible improvement since he was only 24 last year.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,876

Post#1560 » by Matches Malone » Wed Apr 17, 2024 5:14 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Read on Twitter

I will be sad if he ends up on the Bears.
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?

Return to Green Bay Packers