ImageImage

2024 NFL Draft - five picks in the first three rounds (seven in four! [probably])

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,080

Re: 2024 NFL Draft - five picks in the first three rounds (seven in four! [probably]) 

Post#1181 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:59 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:
You've seemingly completely changed your mind on the CBs then?

Mitchell I wouldn't have any problem taking high. I think he's a stud. I like Arnold more now than I did back then too.

I thought you also want to trade up for DeJean or Wiggins? Or am I misremebering that?

I think if the Packers want one of those CBs they'll have to trade up.
Frank Nova
Head Coach
And1: 2,582

Re: 2024 NFL Draft - five picks in the first three rounds (seven in four! [probably]) 

Post#1182 » by Frank Nova » Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:09 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
Frank Nova wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:I'm hearing more and more buzz on TJ Tampa jumping into R1

In general or a Packers target?

I've seen the Packers speculated by a couple people as a team that could take him but I haven't actually seen him mocked to GB so moreso in general.

I checked out Tampa after you put him on my radar, he looks real good to me. He’s about as aggressive as you could hope a defensive player to be. He’ll either be a DPI machine out of the gate ala Joey Porter Jr. or he’ll establish himself as someone you might think twice about throwing at. Makes sense for Packers to like him tho, he could be a good press man CB in the long run. I like him at 25 but I love him at 41 lol
RIP Kobe Forever. GOAT 8-24. Long Live Giannis
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,709

Post#1183 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:28 pm

Tampa is a textbook Gute corner. Long, athletic, and aggressive in press coverage. It's why I'd love him with one of our two 2nd rounders, but still not really thrilled with the idea of using our 1st on him.
Frank Nova
Head Coach

Post#1184 » by Frank Nova » Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:24 pm

Tampa would probably be my 5th preferred CB in this class right now. I wouldn’t take him over Mitchell Dejean Arnold or Koolaid but I also wouldn’t be shocked at all if he turned out better than some or all of them. I think we could do worse at 25 and if he’s worked his way up draft boards you may have to reach for him if you like him enough. 41 is certainly more ideal.
MKE_Hodag22
Sophomore
And1: 38

Post#1185 » by MKE_Hodag22 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:39 pm

Frank Nova wrote:Tampa would probably be my 5th preferred CB in this class right now. I wouldn’t take him over Mitchell Dejean Arnold or Koolaid but I also wouldn’t be shocked at all if he turned out better than some or all of them. I think we could do worse at 25 and if he’s worked his way up draft boards you may have to reach for him if you like him enough. 41 is certainly more ideal.

Thoughts on Wiggins? Presume he's your #6?
Frank Nova
Head Coach

Post#1186 » by Frank Nova » Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:21 pm

MKE_Hodag22 wrote:
Frank Nova wrote:Tampa would probably be my 5th preferred CB in this class right now. I wouldn’t take him over Mitchell Dejean Arnold or Koolaid but I also wouldn’t be shocked at all if he turned out better than some or all of them. I think we could do worse at 25 and if he’s worked his way up draft boards you may have to reach for him if you like him enough. 41 is certainly more ideal.

Yeah he’s also right there as well. I love his speed but I worry about his frame. He’s thin, weighed in at 173lbs at the combine so I worry about a tall, thin and super fast CB holding up in the NFL. His numbers also weren’t eye popping at Clemson. He’s definitely intriguing but I also don’t think he’s the type of CB we’re gonna put stock into.
MKE_Hodag22
Sophomore

Post#1187 » by MKE_Hodag22 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:29 pm

Frank Nova wrote:
MKE_Hodag22 wrote:

Yeah he’s also right there as well. I love his speed but I worry about his frame. He’s thin, weighed in at 173lbs at the combine so I worry about a tall, thin and super fast CB holding up in the NFL. His numbers also weren’t eye popping at Clemson. He’s definitely intriguing but I also don’t think he’s the type of CB we’re gonna put stock into.

OK - yeah, i figured that was why not listed - I think he's a bit thin for the position as well. if he can find a way to get up to 185-190 i think that be a significant benefit for him
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1188 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:30 pm

Somewhat interesting article on ESPN ranking the position groups and where to find value.

1 - WR
The ideal time to draft one for the best value: UCF's Javon Baker, USC's Brenden Rice and Washington's Jalen McMillan project as late-Round 2 or early-Round 3 picks. They could be potential steals there. All three have the potential to develop into No. 2 receivers early in their NFL careers.

Oregon State's Anthony Gould, Arizona's Jacob Cowling and USC's Tahj Washington are undersized slot receivers with Day 3 grades who could contribute early in multiple receiver sets.

2 - Offensive Tackle
The ideal time to draft one for the best value: Arizona's Jordan Morgan, BYU's Kingsley Suamataia and Houston's Patrick Paul all have second-round grades, but teams that need a tackle should be targeting one in Round 1. The talent and positional value are too great to risk waiting.

3. Quarterback
4. Cornerback
The ideal time to draft one for the best value: Iowa State's T.J. Tampa and Rutgers' Max Melton have second-round grades and you should be excited if your favorite team lands either one of them on Day 2.

5. Edge
The ideal time to draft one for the best value: If your team has more pressing needs but still needs to add a talented pass-rusher, there's some good value on Day 2. Western Michigan's Marshawn Kneeland, Penn State's Adisa Isaac and Colorado State's Mohamed Kamara are three names to remember.

Houston Christian's Jalyx Hunt, Mississippi's Cedric Johnson and UConn's Eric Watts are intriguing developmental prospects who should be available in in the middle rounds.

6. Defensive tackle
The ideal time to draft one for the best value: Florida State's Braden Fiske, Texas T'Vondre Sweat, Michigan's Kris Jenkins, Ohio State's Michael Hall Jr. and Oregon's Brandon Dorlus are excellent values in Round 2.

7. Tight end
8. Safety
The ideal time to draft one for the best value: Smith, USC's Calen Bullock, Maryland's Beau Brade and Miami's Kamren Kinchens all have third-round grades, making late on Day 2 a good spot to target a safety.

Oregon's Evan Williams is one of my favorite Day 3 prospects. He's versatile, flies around the field and plays faster than he ran at the combine (4.6-second 40-yard dash).

9. Linebacker
The ideal time to draft one for the best value: Trotter, Jacobs, Washington's Edefuan Ulofoshio, Ohio State's Tommy Eichenberg and Texas' Jaylan Ford are some of the prospects who could be on the board early on Day 3. Teams might not see that big of a gap between them and the next tier.

10. Center
The ideal time to draft one for the best value: If a team needs a starter, it should target one of the top three in the second round. Barton is the No. 32 player on my board, but he's not that far ahead of Powers-Johnson and Frazier, which means a team would really have to fall in love with him to take him in Round 1.

11. Running back
The ideal time to draft one for the best value: I really like Brooks and believe he's worth drafting late in Round 2, but teams should wait until Day 3 to draft others if they don't take Brooks. There are three backs with third-round grades and four backs with fourth-round grades after Brooks and Corum. The gap between those two tiers isn't great enough to justify taking one on Day 2.

12. Guard
The ideal time to draft one for the best value: Targeting an offensive lineman with the versatility to play guard and potentially another position early on Day 3 is sensible. NC State's Dylan McMahon would be a good value there if he's still on the board.

UCF's Tylan Grable tested well at the combine and is an interesting sleeper. All of his college starts were at left tackle, but he kicked inside to guard in certain situations and has been trained for a potential move to center.
Frank Nova
Head Coach

Post#1189 » by Frank Nova » Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:52 pm

MKE_Hodag22 wrote:
Frank Nova wrote:
MKE_Hodag22 wrote:

OK - yeah, i figured that was why not listed - I think he's a bit thin for the position as well. if he can find a way to get up to 185-190 i think that be a significant benefit for him

If he’s really 173lbs, it’s a tall order to ask someone to add 15-20lbs of muscle without losing speed and agility. If that were the case then he’s an ideal CB all day. He’s very physical and has great recovery speed to go along with that speed demon straight line speed he showed running that 40 time. I’m not crazy about his ball skills tracking the ball in the air. A lot of his PBUs are him recovering last second and punching out an already caught ball. Which is good and all for college but I’m not sure if that’s a skill that translates against WR1s and 2s in the NFL. That’s a basket I wouldn’t put all my eggs into personally.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,694

Post#1190 » by Matches Malone » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:44 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Somewhat interesting article on ESPN ranking the position groups and where to find value.

11. Running back
The ideal time to draft one for the best value: I really like Brooks and believe he's worth drafting late in Round 2, but teams should wait until Day 3 to draft others if they don't take Brooks. There are three backs with third-round grades and four backs with fourth-round grades after Brooks and Corum. The gap between those two tiers isn't great enough to justify taking one on Day 2.

I like the idea of going back to the South Dakota State well and picking up another hoss in Isaiah Davis on day 3. Like Tucker Kraft, the dude just loves contact.
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#1191 » by Treebeard » Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:14 pm

Thoughts on Braden Fiske, the combine Wiz?
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,694

Post#1192 » by Matches Malone » Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:05 pm

Didn't realize Will Shipley scored a 4.39 on his second 40 attempt during his pro-day.

Read on Twitter

I updated his RAS card...

Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,709

Post#1193 » by Ron Swanson » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:56 am

Yeah, Shipley's a freak. He's the guy to pair with Jacobs.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1194 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:36 pm

Matt Miller on ESPN did a complete seven round mock. It's basically a worst case scenario for Green Bay.

Minnesota trades up and lands Drake Maye. Bears land Odunze at #9. Packers take Tyler Guyton at #25, passing on Latu and Newton.

Gross.

Whole Packers draft:

25. Green Bay Packers - Tyler Guyton, OT, Oklahoma
41. Green Bay Packers (via NYJ) - Ennis Rakestraw Jr., CB, Missouri
58. Green Bay Packers - Mason McCormick, C, South Dakota State
88. Green Bay Packers - Brandon Dorlus, DT, Oregon
91. Green Bay Packers (via BUF) - Gabriel Murphy, DE, UCLA
126. Green Bay Packers: Michael Pratt, QB, Tulane (WTF)
169. Green Bay Packers*: Kamal Hadden, CB, Tennessee
202. Green Bay Packers: Qwan'tez Stiggers, CB, Toronto Argonauts (CFL)
219. Green Bay Packers*: Johnny Wilson, WR, Florida State
245. Green Bay Packers: Emani Bailey, RB, TCU
255. Green Bay Packers*: Ryan Rehkow, P, BYU

I like the second rounders, hate literally everything else.
MKE_Hodag22
Sophomore

Post#1195 » by MKE_Hodag22 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:44 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Matt Miller on ESPN did a complete seven round mock. It's basically a worst case scenario for Green Bay.

Minnesota trades up and lands Drake Maye. Bears land Odunze at #9. Packers take Tyler Guyton at #25, passing on Latu and Newton.

Gross.

Whole Packers draft:

That draft would land us with a really solid D/D+ draft grade. Rakestraw is nice , QB at 126? ya no... stiggers is interesting prospect, drafting a punter? didnt recall out punter really being that bad last year
RubberSoul
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,824

Post#1196 » by RubberSoul » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:54 pm

If we seriously end up with Caleb and Maye in our division….just worst case scenario.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,072

Post#1197 » by MVP2110 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 1:55 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Matt Miller on ESPN did a complete seven round mock. It's basically a worst case scenario for Green Bay.

Gross.

Whole Packers draft:

I don't mind Guyton at 25 but I'm not a huge fan of Rakestraw or McCormick in the 2nd. The 3rd round is interesting to me as is Pratt in the 4th if he's there. I don't think we need another WR but if you can get Johnny Wilson at 219 that seems like a steal to me. I'd say it's a meh draft for me
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1198 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:02 pm

The only way I'm fine with Guyton is if he moves Tom to RG or C. Then...okay.

Wouldn't be okay passing on Latu for him, though.

Wilson is a Darren Waller TE. Definitely a project. But getting him that late would be okay with me.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,072

Post#1199 » by MVP2110 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 2:11 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:The only way I'm fine with Guyton is if he moves Tom to RG or C. Then...okay.

Wouldn't be okay passing on Latu for him, though.

Wilson is a Darren Waller TE. Definitely a project. But getting him that late would be okay with me.

Latu's injury past scares me as does the fact he'll turn 24 during the season. Not my least favorite pick they could make but I certainly don't love him the way some do.

As far as Guyton in the 1st I'm just a general proponent of using your 1st round pick on whoever you think will be the best player which is why I'd also be fine with them using a 1st on a WR even though I don't think we need one. If Guyton is the guy they believe will be an All Pro tackle in the NFL then you run the card up regardless of whether or not you have Rasheed Walker & Zach Tom, you can figure out the specifics later.
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#1200 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:48 pm

Read on Twitter

LOL

Return to Green Bay Packers