Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,520

2024 Packers News, Transactions, Trades - Week 1 in Brasil v. Iggles 

Post#1 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Oct 3, 2023 7:11 pm

Picking up where we left off. Some good news

Matches Malone wrote:
Read on Twitter
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,749

Re: 2023 Packers News, Transactions, Trades 

Post#2 » by Treebeard » Tue Oct 3, 2023 7:25 pm

Musgrave, Jaire, Watson and Aaron Jones all practicing.
Trick question: do they play Monday night?

Sounds like Jenkins and Stokes are mending, but return to play TBD?
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,520

Post#3 » by MickeyDavis » Tue Oct 3, 2023 7:48 pm

Treebeard wrote:
Musgrave, Jaire, Watson and Aaron Jones all practicing.
Trick question: do they play Monday night?

Sounds like Jenkins and Stokes are mending, but return to play TBD?

My guess is with an upcoming bye we don't see them Monday night
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,098

Post#4 » by paulpressey25 » Wed Oct 4, 2023 10:08 am

Do we agree with his take?

Read on Twitter
?s=61&t=9rpMwNqOSwMJrvAAN06wgA
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,853

Post#5 » by coolhandluke121 » Wed Oct 4, 2023 12:56 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:Do we agree with his take?

Spoiler:
Read on Twitter

Those are all-pro caliber guys when healthy, and there are only so many all-pros each year. What percentage of your picks are expected to be that good, especially when you're almost always drafting late? What percentage of picks end up being top-5 at their position? I didn't crunch any numbers, but my number sense tells me that this is the wrong cut-off for what constitutes a good pick. Even an average starter on an average team is almost always a good pick, unless it's a premium pick. And injuries are a huge factor.

And it's still too early to evaluate nearly half his picks. I think he's been fine drafting. The whole franchise may as well donate their 3rd-round picks to charity for a tax write-off at this point though.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,080

Post#6 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Oct 4, 2023 1:41 pm

His first few drafts were rough, albeit mitigated by getting a few All-Pro worthy talents and the likely QB of the future. They need Stokes to come back healthy and play well for 2021 not to be a pretty huge disaster.

The last two drafts, at least early on, look like huge home runs.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Oct 4, 2023 2:37 pm

Read on Twitter

Colts are looking for a high second rounder, and the Packers will have at least one. :reporter:
PintSizedBox10
Head Coach
And1: 3,230

Post#8 » by PintSizedBox10 » Wed Oct 4, 2023 4:23 pm

I think that's a fair assessment. If Love doesn't become great the 2020 draft is WOAT levels bad. 2021 isnt looking much better. Fortunately the 2022 class is shaping up fairly well. I do think Doubs will end up in the plus player category by the end of this year.
rayallenscalves
Junior
And1: 221

Post#9 » by rayallenscalves » Wed Oct 4, 2023 4:30 pm

Don't know that this has been talked about much, but Preston Smith has been largely non-existent this year so far. Zero sacks, two pressures, zero hurries, zero tackles for loss. That's a lot of ka-ching for very little production.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,675

Post#10 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Oct 4, 2023 6:04 pm

PintSizedBox10 wrote:I think that's a fair assessment. If Love doesn't become great the 2020 draft is WOAT levels bad. 2021 isnt looking much better. Fortunately the 2022 class is shaping up fairly well. I do think Doubs will end up in the plus player category by the end of this year.
Yeah 2020 is rough because the process was questionable from day 1. You had a contender and he takes a QB round 1 that immediately sets off a couple years of drama, a RB round 2 even though they had two good RBs on the roster, and the a Hback in round 3 when you should probably fill that position with a non premium pick.

Every GM is going to miss on players or have dudes get hurt but this really felt like a 'too cute' draft from day one and he really needs Love to hit.

It's especially painful considering how close they got the following season while getting basically nothing from this class.

Sent from my SM-F731U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,692

Post#11 » by Matches Malone » Wed Oct 4, 2023 7:53 pm

Packers first meme?

Read on Twitter
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Oct 4, 2023 8:09 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
PintSizedBox10 wrote:I think that's a fair assessment. If Love doesn't become great the 2020 draft is WOAT levels bad. 2021 isnt looking much better. Fortunately the 2022 class is shaping up fairly well. I do think Doubs will end up in the plus player category by the end of this year.
Yeah 2020 is rough because the process was questionable from day 1. You had a contender and he takes a QB round 1 that immediately sets off a couple years of drama, a RB round 2 even though they had two good RBs on the roster, and the a Hback in round 3 when you should probably fill that position with a non premium pick.

Every GM is going to miss on players or have dudes get hurt but this really felt like a 'too cute' draft from day one and he really needs Love to hit.

It's especially painful considering how close they got the following season while getting basically nothing from this class.

One thing I think you can fairly mention is the 2020 draft has largely sucked once you get out of the middle of round two.

There's been two pro-bowlers from that draft taken in round three or later.
There were eight in 2019.
Six in 2018.
15 in 2017.
13 in 2016.
12 in 2015.

As of now it's hard to argue anyone has had a great draft outside of the first two rounds
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#13 » by WeekapaugGroove » Wed Oct 4, 2023 8:25 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:

One thing I think you can fairly mention is the 2020 draft has largely sucked once you get out of the middle of round two.

Six in 2018.
15 in 2017.
13 in 2016.
12 in 2015.

As of now it's hard to argue anyone has had a great draft outside of the first two rounds

I'd never rip a GM for not getting an all pro later in the draft, it's a crap shoot at that point. Id call the later part of that draft wash, Runyan is average starter so that's a win but they got basically nothing at all from the rest which is a little rough. You'd at least like to see some special teams snaps or something positive.

For me the criticism from the time still holds true, it was a weird approach to first two days considering they were a contender. Kind of weird where if you miss you look like a fool.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#14 » by ReasonablySober » Wed Oct 4, 2023 8:39 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:Yeah 2020 is rough because the process was questionable from day 1. You had a contender and he takes a QB round 1 that immediately sets off a couple years of drama, a RB round 2 even though they had two good RBs on the roster, and the a Hback in round 3 when you should probably fill that position with a non premium pick.

Six in 2018.
15 in 2017.
13 in 2016.
12 in 2015.

I'd never rip a GM for not getting an all pro later in the draft, it's a crap shoot at that point. Id call the later part of that draft wash, Runyan is average starter so that's a win but they got basically nothing at all from the rest which is a little rough. You'd at least like to see some special teams snaps or something positive.

For me the criticism from the time still holds true, it was a weird approach to first two days considering they were a contender. Kind of weird where if you miss you look like a fool.

If Love isn't the QB of the future, it will (and should) absolutely cost Gute his job.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,070

Post#15 » by MVP2110 » Thu Oct 5, 2023 1:54 pm

In the 2020 draft the Love pick was never an issue. I absolutely understand the reason behind that pick. Day 2 never made any sense though. Taking a 3rd string RB & a Fullback was dumb and the most confused I've ever been with Gutey's drafting. Thankfully it has seemingly been a one off
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#16 » by Treebeard » Thu Oct 5, 2023 3:22 pm

As I recall: almost all of the pre-draft evals put Dillon as a 4th to 5th round pick. Had Gute picked him in one of those rounds, the pick wouldn't rankle everyone so much.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#17 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Oct 5, 2023 3:34 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

Six in 2018.
15 in 2017.
13 in 2016.
12 in 2015.

If Love isn't the QB of the future, it will (and should) absolutely cost Gute his job.
Probably.

I didn't like the Love pick at the time and I'm not the biggest Gute fan in general but I did tip my cap to the balls it to make the pick because I think it sped up his firing clock.

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Oct 5, 2023 3:35 pm

So get back to the quality of the 2020 draft, Dillon or Antonio Gibson were probably the best backs available at that spot in the 2nd round.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,208

Post#19 » by skones » Thu Oct 5, 2023 8:17 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:Do we agree with his take?

Read on Twitter

I mean, 2022 looks highly promising. Quay looks like a guy if he can keep his head on straight, Zach Tom, Watson and Doubs have flashed possible pro-bowl ability, and then you have our first three picks this season with pretty damn high upside. I guess the take just seems like it's painting with a pretty broad brush and a lot of TBDs.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,208

Post#20 » by skones » Thu Oct 5, 2023 8:21 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:So get back to the quality of the 2020 draft, Dillon or Antonio Gibson were probably the best backs available at that spot in the 2nd round.

The whole of the 2020 draft seems pretty weak if we're looking at what went in the 2nd round or later. When it comes to offensive weapons, you've basically got, Zack Moss, Gabe Davis, and Darnell Mooney that turned into anything remotely resembling, "We may have something there."

Return to Green Bay Packers