ImageImage

GT: Iowa at Bucky - 10/14/23 - 3:00 - FOX

Moderators: paulpressey25, MickeyDavis, humanrefutation

trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,427

Re: GT: Iowa at Bucky - 10/14/23 - 3:00 - FOX 

Post#61 » by trwi7 » Sat Oct 14, 2023 11:14 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:This isn't going to be close. Iowa is terrible.

@OldTakesExposed
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
midranger
RealGM
And1: 10,170

Post#62 » by midranger » Sat Oct 14, 2023 11:21 pm

Do we ever throw a pass where the receiver is running toward the end zone? Feels like they’re either at a full stop or running back toward the QB
Please reconsider your animal consumption.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,174
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#63 » by Kerb Hohl » Sat Oct 14, 2023 11:23 pm

Back to the portal at QB next year?
LittleRooster
General Manager
And1: 3,121

Post#64 » by LittleRooster » Sun Oct 15, 2023 12:57 am

Kerb Hohl wrote:Back to the portal at QB next year?

Don’t they have like 3 4 star guys there? I’m guessing then that non of them are ready or good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mtsportsfan
Rookie
And1: 370

Post#65 » by Mtsportsfan » Sun Oct 15, 2023 1:24 am

Wow , very embarrassing ! Gave up a total of 244 yds and lost ! The offense is a disaster, even before Tanner was out the offense just sputtered. Will we ever have Wr's running down field open and can we actually have time hit them ! The oline has been over rated the last few years.
Was listening to the post game with Tim Scott and some other guy , talk about poly Anna ! Saying with Chryst that the recruiting was way down and it will take time to restock , all fair points ! But what the didn't mention is the transfer portal and how it was going to give this team a boost !all the hype was just hype and I guess it will take more time. I did think that we were going to be able to throw the ball better than we have !
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#66 » by Kerb Hohl » Sun Oct 15, 2023 2:24 am

LittleRooster wrote:

Don’t they have like 3 4 star guys there? I’m guessing then that non of them are ready or good

There was an idea that they didn’t run Mordecai early on in the year because the guys behind him suck. I’m not writing off Locke as a young guy put into a tough situation, but we’re finding out that supposedly highly rated guys in the portal like Evers were probably not wanted by their programs for a reason.
ReginaldDwight
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,782

Post#67 » by ReginaldDwight » Sun Oct 15, 2023 3:46 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
LittleRooster wrote:

There was an idea that they didn’t run Mordecai early on in the year because the guys behind him suck. I’m not writing off Locke as a young guy put into a tough situation, but we’re finding out that supposedly highly rated guys in the portal like Evers were probably not wanted by their programs for a reason.

Yeah, going to take time to reload, the lack of depth on offense showed last night.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,758

Post#68 » by MikeIsGood » Sun Oct 15, 2023 9:33 pm

My two cents here.

While I understand frustration - we're awful to watch - I don't understand any frustration to the point of suggesting to bring back Chryst. I presume it's at least partially sarcastic, but he's who got us into this no-talent mess in the first place. We have no depth whatsoever; very obvious talent issues on-field. Maybe some coaching too, particularly on defense, but no one is standing out as a talented player*. At all. It's going to take a couple years to restock the cupboards, and I think only then can we really judge.

(*Allen never stood out to me personally TBH - not a hindsight thing, just never a big fan compared to what we're used to)
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#69 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:25 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:My two cents here.

While I understand frustration - we're awful to watch - I don't understand any frustration to the point of suggesting to bring back Chryst. I presume it's at least partially sarcastic, but he's who got us into this no-talent mess in the first place. We have no depth whatsoever; very obvious talent issues on-field. Maybe some coaching too, particularly on defense, but no one is standing out as a talented player*. At all. It's going to take a couple years to restock the cupboards, and I think only then can we really judge.

(*Allen never stood out to me personally TBH - not a hindsight thing, just never a big fan compared to what we're used to)

I don't know if anyone other than Tom Oates is asking to go back to Chryst. Obviously, his limp recruiting at the end did dig a pretty big hole here. I think the only thing some (maybe just me) had some concern about is joining the nation in the "air raid" and defense that is supposed to rely on defensive backs more. We saw that, as ugly as it was, Iowa still has a strength that they can easily recruit to and count on and play to even if it sucks to watch or whatever.

But I'm not really asking for that - with the better teams coming into the conference, the game going to more speed-oriented, etc. etc. even though it's still probably a safe/stable option, it's got quite a ceiling on it.

He obviously needs 3-4 years to actually be judged, because while he did OK in the portal, we generally find out that guys like CJ Williams were available for a reason. He's got a lot of supposed talent coming in and a track record of developing it so this post sounds more negative than it should be. I'm just overly critical of QB depth because we are really reliant on it now. If we aren't loaded at skill position/QB depth, which is a tall order in Wisconsin, we will land somewhere between Kansas State and Nebraska's last decade of output.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM

Post#70 » by Kerb Hohl » Mon Oct 16, 2023 1:30 pm

Also, I'm almost always a, "well they probably aren't running the ball for a reason" fan because usually it's due to how the defense is set up, etc...but I will say that Saturday was one of the first times I was looking at Iowa's defense, seeing like 5-6 guys in the box, and curious as to why we were not at least a little bit more.

But I'm not pessimistic about any actual coaching Xs and Os long-term like most fans were Saturday (we lose = "coach dumb")...These guys have all had success before, I'm not worried about that. It's all about being able to get the talent here to get all of this to work.

It is slightly disappointing that, given this schedule and solid talent, that we couldn't take the free B10 West trophy in its final year. That would've just been a fun little stop on the way to hopefully being a sustainably good team.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 3,003

Post#71 » by BUCKnation » Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:25 pm

Yeah, I think the writing has been on the wall for a while that innovation was needed. It got stale being good and demolishing the crappy teams but then getting steamrolled by any good team in the B1G. I think the transition with all of the transfers is tougher than we expected, look at how bad Colorado looks, and, as mentioned, the cupboard was a lot more bare than we thought.

I will say that it is extremely frustrating to see Mertz look great for Florida, who isn't even that good of an SEC team.

Return to Green Bay Packers