Game 12: Chiefs at Packers - 12/3/23 - 7:20 - NBC

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,509

Re: Game 12: Chiefs at Packers - 12/3/23 - 7:20 - NBC 

Post#641 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Dec 4, 2023 4:13 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:The Owens play is something I think the league consistently **** up. If a QB is trying to get extra yardage near the sideline you have to let the defenders try to stop it. Like I don't think that play should be a penalty even if the QBs foot is out, if they are moving forward they are a runner.

Similar thing I think the league is bad about is when a QB is fighting to stay up in the pocket. You're not allowed to slam a QB and defenders can only hit them in like a 1 foot zone on there body. It's just not fair with big QBs and they need to be much quicker with the in the grasp whistle.

I get they want scoring and rules are slanted that way but these things are just impossible for a D.

Sent from my SM-F731U using RealGM mobile app

A play like that should be challengeable. It happens so fast and it's a coinflip if the ref is going to get it right whether he was in or out of bounds when the hit happened.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,591

Post#642 » by Profound23 » Mon Dec 4, 2023 4:14 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:The Owens play is something I think the league consistently **** up. If a QB is trying to get extra yardage near the sideline you have to let the defenders try to stop it. Like I don't think that play should be a penalty even if the QBs foot is out, if they are moving forward they are a runner.

Similar thing I think the league is bad about is when a QB is fighting to stay up in the pocket. You're not allowed to slam a QB and defenders can only hit them in like a 1 foot zone on there body. It's just not fair with big QBs and they need to be much quicker with the in the grasp whistle.

I get they want scoring and rules are slanted that way but these things are just impossible for a D.

Yeah, I don't think they will change the rule if the QB is even an inch out of bounds...that will always be unnecessary roughness. However, if they are not then it is fair game.

The problem is mobile QBs will push the envelope then step out the second a defender is about to complete the tackle, which is BS. You want to play stupid games for an extra yard, then you win stupid prizes. We have seen defenders let up, only for the QB to spin back in bounds and pick up extra yards or a TD.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,673

Post#643 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Dec 4, 2023 4:17 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:

A play like that should be challengeable. It happens so fast and it's a coinflip if the ref is going to get it right whether he was in or out of bounds when the hit happened.
For sure. But the fact that hard for the refs proves my point how it's impossible for the defender. Like are they supposed stop mid tackle because the QBs foot happens to step out? I think they should clarify the rule where if a QB wants to be protected on a play like that they can't be running forward.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#644 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Dec 4, 2023 4:19 pm

Profound23 wrote:

Yeah, I don't think they will change the rule if the QB is even an inch out of bounds...that will always be unnecessary roughness. However, if they are not then it is fair game.

The problem is mobile QBs will push the envelope then step out the second a defender is about to complete the tackle, which is BS. You want to play stupid games for an extra yard, then you win stupid prizes. We have seen defenders let up, only for the QB to spin back in bounds and pick up extra yards or a TD.
QBs absolutely do that and it gains first downs. If the QB is moving forward I don't think they should receive any special treatment.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#645 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Dec 4, 2023 4:19 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:

For sure. But the fact that hard for the refs proves my point how it's impossible for the defender. Like are they supposed stop mid tackle because the QBs foot happens to step out? I think they should clarify the rule where if a QB wants to be protected on a play like that they can't be running forward.

Definitely. It's late fourth quarter of a one score game and the QB is going for a first down. If the defender pulls up he'd get roasted. When I saw it live I was pissed because I thought he was definitely out. Same as the ref. Make it challengeable.
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,684

Post#646 » by MikeIsGood » Mon Dec 4, 2023 4:20 pm

Love didn't just beat the Chiefs on Sunday, he beat their blitzes. He completed 10 of 13 passes with three touchdowns when Spagnuolo sent five or more pass-rushers. It gave Love eight touchdown passes and zero interceptions this season against the blitz, according to ESPN Stats & Information. Only Miami's Tua Tagovailoa has more touchdown passes (10), with an interception, against the blitz this season.
MKE_Hodag22
Sophomore
And1: 38

Post#647 » by MKE_Hodag22 » Mon Dec 4, 2023 4:20 pm

Matches Malone wrote:
jimmybones wrote:It's fair to have concerns about Watson's ability to be a true number one because of injury concern

Even though they have several young guys to develop in the WR room, I wouldn't be opposed to them drafting another weapon for that very reason.

Agreed - If there is a stud available R1 (lol, I know wont happen) or R2..I think we should really consider it

WR 1 - Watson / Wicks
WR 2 - Doubs / Reed / Heath?
TE 1 - Musgrave / Kraft / Sims?

R1 WR wise in draft, Keon Coleman would be a good fit.
R2 TE wise Ja'Tavion Sanders out of Texas is a really intriguing prospect.
R2/3 WR Troy Franklin from Oregon is a burner, cant have enough speed.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#648 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Dec 4, 2023 4:22 pm

Props to Luke Butkus for patching together a competent OL again this year. Still need to draft OL but he's done a good job with this group.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#649 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Dec 4, 2023 4:24 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:A play like that should be challengeable. It happens so fast and it's a coinflip if the ref is going to get it right whether he was in or out of bounds when the hit happened.

Definitely. It's late fourth quarter of a one score game and the QB is going for a first down. If the defender pulls up he'd get roasted. When I saw it live I was pissed because I thought he was definitely out. Same as the ref. Make it challengeable.
Yeah it should be.

If that was a RB I don't think that flag gets thrown, and to me that's the problem with how they call that because at that particular moment Maholmes is a runner in that play.

Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,704

Post#650 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Dec 4, 2023 4:25 pm

If Rodgers makes that drop-in-the-bucket backfoot throw to Doubs on 4th down, we're all talking about it being on his career highlight reel. Just an absolute dime and I can't believe he actually put that in between 3-4 defenders.
jimmybones
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,727

Post#651 » by jimmybones » Mon Dec 4, 2023 4:25 pm

VooDoo7 wrote:
trwi7 wrote:
midranger wrote:Guys. 6:30 am is like 7 hours and 45 minutes from now. Go to bed. You’ll be fine.

I like sleep and it takes me a while to fall asleep and I wake up several times a night. I'm not having a great time right now.

I'm the same way. I'll lay down and my mind races 100MPH. It's just starts thinking about the most random **** like "hmm, I wonder how much peanut butter I have left in the cupboard".

well, how much do you have left?
VooDoo7
RealGM
And1: 20,847

Post#652 » by VooDoo7 » Mon Dec 4, 2023 4:30 pm

jimmybones wrote:
VooDoo7 wrote:
trwi7 wrote:
I like sleep and it takes me a while to fall asleep and I wake up several times a night. I'm not having a great time right now.

I'm the same way. I'll lay down and my mind races 100MPH. It's just starts thinking about the most random **** like "hmm, I wonder how much peanut butter I have left in the cupboard".

well, how much do you have left?

About half a jar. I was worrying for nothing!
XtremeDunkz
General Manager
And1: 6,851

Post#653 » by XtremeDunkz » Mon Dec 4, 2023 4:30 pm

On the topic of sleep. I used to have issues falling asleep but realized it was because I just wasn't using enough energy during the day. Now I'm more active and fall in a deep sleep as soon as my head hits the pillow every time.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
10/27/16
Nemesis21 wrote:It is absolutely hilarious hearing people still say Embiid has superstar potential.The guy is one injury away from being Greg Oden.:lol: Except Oden manged to play over 100 games in the NBA, I don't think Embiid will play more.
VooDoo7
RealGM
And1: 20,847

Post#654 » by VooDoo7 » Mon Dec 4, 2023 4:31 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:If Rodgers makes that drop-in-the-bucket backfoot throw to Doubs on 4th down, we're all talking about it being on his career highlight reel. Just an absolute dime and I can't believe he actually put that in between 3-4 defenders.

I don't care who threw that. That was 5% skill and 95% luck. :lol:
XtremeDunkz
General Manager
And1: 6,851

Post#655 » by XtremeDunkz » Mon Dec 4, 2023 4:31 pm

emunney wrote:I thought that shove on the back on the hail mary was pretty blatant, and I'd be annoyed if it went the other way. I also understand that calls on hail marys are not easy to come by.

I also thought that personal foul on Owens was absurd. If the ball carrier is running upfield you should be able to stop them.
I wouldn't be annoyed. I've literally never seen PI in a hail mary. Everyone knows it's not getting called

10/27/16
Nemesis21 wrote:It is absolutely hilarious hearing people still say Embiid has superstar potential.The guy is one injury away from being Greg Oden.:lol: Except Oden manged to play over 100 games in the NBA, I don't think Embiid will play more.
Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,748

Post#656 » by Treebeard » Mon Dec 4, 2023 4:39 pm

XtremeDunkz wrote:
emunney wrote:I thought that shove on the back on the hail mary was pretty blatant, and I'd be annoyed if it went the other way. I also understand that calls on hail marys are not easy to come by.

I also thought that personal foul on Owens was absurd. If the ball carrier is running upfield you should be able to stop them.
I wouldn't be annoyed. I've literally never seen PI in a hail mary. Everyone knows it's not getting called

To my eyes, Ford was the only guy likely to catch that ball, out of what? 6-8 guys in the immediate vicinity? Collinsworth got his undies twisted up in a knot over a bump that wasn't even part of the central scrum. He embarassed himself with that KC boot-licking routine.
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,327

Post#657 » by Mags FTW » Mon Dec 4, 2023 4:40 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:
Love didn't just beat the Chiefs on Sunday, he beat their blitzes. He completed 10 of 13 passes with three touchdowns when Spagnuolo sent five or more pass-rushers. It gave Love eight touchdown passes and zero interceptions this season against the blitz, according to ESPN Stats & Information. Only Miami's Tua Tagovailoa has more touchdown passes (10), with an interception, against the blitz this season.

This is what separates a good QB vs. serviceable. The Vikings went on their hot streak because Flores blitzes or shows blitz more than half the time and this works against mediocre/trash QBs like Young, Heinicke, Carr, Fields, etc.

Love's pedestrian performance was part of their run, but maybe he really has figured things out over the last 4-5 weeks?

I'm trying to temper my enthusiasm because this could just be a hot streak and he could come back down to Earth.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,853

Post#658 » by coolhandluke121 » Mon Dec 4, 2023 4:46 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:

Yes, this has been a huge flaw in the rules for a while. QBs are down as soon as they start a slide, and they can't do anything that looks like faking a slide or they're considered down. This stems from the obvious fact that protecting QBs in those situations can lead to obvious bad-faith exploitation of the rules by QBs. So why is it so hard for them to realize that they need something similar for the sidelines? It's just patently obvious. You live by the rules of the games that you play. Go for the yards, go for the hit.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,780

Post#659 » by Ayt » Mon Dec 4, 2023 5:07 pm

trwi7 wrote:
midranger wrote:
Swan Vox wrote:
Yup, 100. I’m a 6:30am riser too, no matter when I go to sleep. But…this one was worth it. : )

Guys. 6:30 am is like 7 hours and 45 minutes from now. Go to bed. You’ll be fine.

You should see how much it would cost to get a sleep study done to check for sleep apnea. I used to think it was only for people who snore or have obvious physical problems breathing, neither of which describes me, but I still tested out as having sleep apnea and a CPAP has made a massive difference in my quality of life because I don't always wake up exhausted.
Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,591

Post#660 » by Profound23 » Mon Dec 4, 2023 5:55 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:If Rodgers makes that drop-in-the-bucket backfoot throw to Doubs on 4th down, we're all talking about it being on his career highlight reel. Just an absolute dime and I can't believe he actually put that in between 3-4 defenders.

At first I was pissed because it was 4th and 2 and Dillon was wide open for 3+ yards. But yes, that was an amazing throw. My son and I were so excited.

Return to Green Bay Packers