ImageImage

Game 13: Packers at Giants - 12/11/23 - 7:15 - ABC

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,327

Re: Game 13: Packers at Giants - 12/11/23 - 7:15 - ABC 

Post#561 » by Mags FTW » Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:20 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Did we get any sort of reason for why Reed was benched in favor of Nixon on that punt return? What is that if not a very obvious blunder directly attributable to a questionable coaching decision?

He was evaluated for a concussion at some point. Not sure if it was happening at that time or not.
RubberSoul
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,824

Post#562 » by RubberSoul » Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:23 pm

MVP2110 wrote:Looking at the week 14 EPA/CPOE composite scores. Tommy DeVito had the best week of any QB in the NFL, that's freaking absurd.

I’m looking forward to Joe Barry making Bryce Young looking like a pro bowler in a couple weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
VooDoo7
RealGM
And1: 20,847

Post#563 » by VooDoo7 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:35 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:Offense went down and did exactly what you wanted them to do and took the lead with less than 2-minutes left.

We should be used to this by now. How many game-winning drives would Rodgers have had the defense not turned around and given up a game-winning drive to the opposing team right after we scored?
jimmybones
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,727

Post#564 » by jimmybones » Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:40 pm

-Nixon trying to get up instead of just laying on the ball and then fumbling was one of the dumbest plays I've seen in any sport, I can't wrap my mind around it.

-Going to the sweep/end around/reverse for the 19th time on the 2 pt conversion after they figured it out multiple times and not to mention Love finally started to find some rhythm on that final drive. Wut

-Broken record but Barry just handing them 10 yards a pop and the sideline to stop the clock when one sack basically wins the game. I can SOMEWHAT understand the soft coverage if they need a TD but if all the need is a FG you have to play to prevent a 1st down. Is the actual plan for that defense hoping they miss a FG?
CWoodfan
Junior
And1: 288

Post#565 » by CWoodfan » Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:40 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:Everyone talks about the importance of ST when it comes to players on the fringes. The only conclusion I can draw is the front office doesn't actually prioritize ST skills when it comes to player acquisition.

It takes effort, aggressiveness, tenacity, etc. to consistently perform well on Special Team coverage and return units.

It also takes effort, aggressiveness, tenacity, etc. to consistently perform well on Defense.

The Packers have featured mediocre to poor Defenses for 13 seasons in a row.

The Special Teams units have been even worse.

Methinks it might be time for the Front Office to do a self-scout with regard to the defensive/Special Teams "talent" it procures for the team.
jimmybones
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,727

Post#566 » by jimmybones » Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:45 pm

Love was disappointing last night but these are normal ups and downs of a first year QB. The expectation that he's just supposed to be consistently good and isn't allowed off weeks. He looked pretty bad on some throws but some of that is on the WR, the play in the end zone where Reed just stopped running? He's also playing with the youngest offense, minus his best offensive player and RB, best WR and best offensive lineman.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,674

Post#567 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:51 pm

MickeyDavis wrote:It's pretty obvious special teams coaching is overrated. Bisaccia is considered one of the "best" ST coaches and our ST suck. You can't coach players not to be stupid. Nixon was stupid. Blocks in the back on returns are stupid. The players are coached on what to do on ST they just can't do it. Year after year after year. Bisaccia had a lot of input on which reserves were kept for ST. And they still suck.

So what's the answer? Get yet another ST coach? Doesn't make a difference. Get different players on ST? We've done that.
Fans love blaming coaching for everything. It's easy and you'd rather problems be a replacable coaches fault than players who you're emotionally invested in.

Now I do think we're at the point where Bisaccia has to tell them to stop returning like 95% of punts.

Sent from my SM-F731U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,707

Post#568 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:53 pm

Love played like crap the first half, but the offense is down their:

- #1 LT
- #1 RB
- #1 WR
- #1 TE

And yet, again, they gave the defense a lead with 1:33 remaining.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#569 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:57 pm

jimmybones wrote:Love was disappointing last night but these are normal ups and downs of a first year QB. The expectation that he's just supposed to be consistently good and isn't allowed off weeks. He looked pretty bad on some throws but some of that is on the WR, the play in the end zone where Reed just stopped running? He's also playing with the youngest offense, minus his best offensive player and RB, best WR and best offensive lineman.
Generally I agree and I can overlook a lot of mistakes.

I do find it a little troubling how often he simply misses his target on clean plays. Who's the last good QB like that? McNabb? Now Love has absolutely shown enough good where I want to see more and before last night it seemed like the misfires were less often.

But I just can't help wonder if that one particular flaw will always remain and rear it's head at the wrong times.

As someone old enough to have watched them both as young players, Love is way more Favre than Rodgers in the extreme high/lows department. Favre damn near lost his job to Burnell because of it.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,069

Post#570 » by MVP2110 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:04 pm

jimmybones wrote:Love was disappointing last night but these are normal ups and downs of a first year QB. The expectation that he's just supposed to be consistently good and isn't allowed off weeks. He looked pretty bad on some throws but some of that is on the WR, the play in the end zone where Reed just stopped running? He's also playing with the youngest offense, minus his best offensive player and RB, best WR and best offensive lineman.

Absolutely. I posted in another thread but even with his poor performance last night Love is 11th among QBs in DVOA & 9th in Adj. EPA/Play. Love has been a borderline top 10 QB despite being surrounded by the youngest offense in the NFL. He will have bad games from time to time but he's still for the most part been really good this season.
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
VooDoo7
RealGM
And1: 20,847

Post#571 » by VooDoo7 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:06 pm

Read on Twitter
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#572 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:09 pm

I haven't seen much of the post game media stuff. Did any reporter ask Barry why he went prevent that final drive? Was so **** stupid someone should have called him out on that.

Ron Swanson
RealGM

Post#573 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:20 pm

Nixon getting absolutely cooked in the slot was probably the only thing you can't blame Barry for. It's just funny as **** that the one time he deploys man coverage and not a soft Cover-2 zone on the final drive, he gets burned for the game-sealing play. He'll probably chalk it up to that and never trust his corners on an island ever again, even against QB's who can barely throw the ball past the line of scrimmage.
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,171

Post#574 » by RRyder823 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:26 pm

WeekapaugGroove wrote:I haven't seen much of the post game media stuff. Did any reporter ask Barry why he went prevent that final drive? Was so **** stupid someone should have called him out on that.

I mean he didn't so that's probably why the question wasn't asked

Sent from my SM-S918U using RealGM mobile app
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,079

Post#575 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:31 pm

RRyder823 wrote:
WeekapaugGroove wrote:I haven't seen much of the post game media stuff. Did any reporter ask Barry why he went prevent that final drive? Was so **** stupid someone should have called him out on that.

He was playing off coverage by ten yards until the Giants got past midfield. He gifted the Giants about 30 yards to start the drive.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM

Post#576 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:32 pm

RRyder823 wrote:

The first three plays of that drive they were. Then once the Giants got in rhythm he goes man and Nixon gets burned. With 1:30 left it was way too soon to play off at the start of that drive.

I know this because I was screaming at my TV 'dont you realize they only need a FG'

Ron Swanson
RealGM

Post#577 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Dec 12, 2023 5:38 pm

Barry legitimately doesn't know what to do when the front-4 isn't getting to the QB consistently. Pressure wise we were actually collapsing the pocket, but DeVito just stepped up and scampered for an easy 7-8 yards every time anyways because we completely vacated the middle of the field. This was the Falcons game all over again. Dude just doesn't ever account for the opponent he's facing (especially mobile QB's who can't push the ball vertically) and throws out the same vanilla looks. Like, we're defending Tommy **** DeVito and Desmond Ridder the same way we're defending Patrick Mahomes. Just completely asinine football.
RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,171

Post#578 » by RRyder823 » Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:07 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:

He was playing off coverage by ten yards until the Giants got past midfield. He gifted the Giants about 30 yards to start the drive.
Just cause you're not playing press doesn't mean your playing prevent. Looked mostly like a cover 2 for two plays followed by cover 3 then they got burned in man.

Haven't looked at the all 22 yet to confirm so if you'd like to do that a tell me I'm wrong feel free

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,079

Post#579 » by ReasonablySober » Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:09 pm

RRyder823 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:

Just cause you're not playing press doesn't mean your playing prevent. Looked mostly like a cover 2 for two plays followed by cover 3 then they got burned in man.

Haven't looked at the all 22 yet to confirm so if you'd like to do that a tell me I'm wrong feel free

I don't know that they were playing "prevent", but they sure as **** were giving WRs all the room in the world. I saw it, people here were commenting on it, even the announcers made note of it. That's what people are yelling at Barry for.
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,343

Post#580 » by HKPackFan » Tue Dec 12, 2023 6:16 pm

Felt like history repeated. Late score to come back but soft D and game over.
#FreeChuckDiesel

Return to Green Bay Packers