Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

raysbookclub
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,185

Re: ATL: Week 17 

Post#21 » by raysbookclub » Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:31 am

Treebeard wrote:
coolhandluke121 wrote:
Treebeard wrote:I wonder how the Rogers trade will appear in 2-3 years. Personally, I think the Jets got the 39year old, fading mobility Rogers with a mended thumb. I will also be curious to see how he's mended from the Achilles problem. He's still going to be a high mileage 40 year old (or 41?) next fall. Will power is a wonderful, if fickle, drug.

And no, It's no where near any of the disasterous trades discussed above. The Rogers trade is a seemingly fair deal on its face.

Forget the Jets deal; I can't help but wonder what we'd be talking about if the Packers had traded Rodgers to the Broncos for the Wilson haul when they had the chance, like many of us wanted to after his last MVP season. Would be nice to be the team on the other side of one of those all-time bad trades.

The Denver deal is what SHOULD have happened. I understand that there was Packer FO fear about trading the MVP, but better a year too soon than a year too late, and all that.

Yeah, a trade was all lined up for GB with Hackett getting hired by Denver.
LittleRooster
General Manager
And1: 3,121

Post#22 » by LittleRooster » Thu Dec 28, 2023 3:28 am

coolhandluke121 wrote:
Treebeard wrote:I wonder how the Rogers trade will appear in 2-3 years. Personally, I think the Jets got the 39year old, fading mobility Rogers with a mended thumb. I will also be curious to see how he's mended from the Achilles problem. He's still going to be a high mileage 40 year old (or 41?) next fall. Will power is a wonderful, if fickle, drug.

And no, It's no where near any of the disasterous trades discussed above. The Rogers trade is a seemingly fair deal on its face.

Forget the Jets deal; I can't help but wonder what we'd be talking about if the Packers had traded Rodgers to the Broncos for the Wilson haul when they had the chance, like many of us wanted to after his last MVP season. Would be nice to be the team on the other side of one of those all-time bad trades.

I think about it as well. But if that trade happens, Clements never comes back. I think he’s been vital in helping Love

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,021

Post#23 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:09 pm

14 of 32 teams are 8-7 or 7-8. Seven in each conference. Going to be a fun last 2 weeks.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#24 » by Treebeard » Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:14 pm

^^^ Who was the patron saint of "parity"? Rozelle or Tagliabue?
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 46,021

Post#25 » by MickeyDavis » Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:43 pm

Tags, he was instrumental in implementing a salary cap.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,677

Post#26 » by WeekapaugGroove » Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:00 pm

Shared revenue and a hard cap, that's the parity sticks and it works.

I also wonder if technology has had some impact. Things like college scouting and studying opponents is more standardized now days because everyone has access to tons of tape and data. The difference in the best and worst franchises at this kind of stuff has likely decreased over time. Basically way less secrets in prospects and everyone knows what everyone else runs scheme wise.

Sent from my SM-F731U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,995

Post#27 » by Matches Malone » Thu Dec 28, 2023 6:36 pm

Facing Jaren Hall this weekend.

Read on Twitter
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
Mags FTW
RealGM
And1: 7,337

Post#28 » by Mags FTW » Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:03 pm

If you want to boost a rookie's confidence, play him against this D.
Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#29 » by Treebeard » Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:13 pm

Vikes are probably in the draft QB sweepstakes, unless Hall dazzles against both the Pack and the Lions
Mags FTW
RealGM

Post#30 » by Mags FTW » Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:19 pm

Treebeard wrote:Vikes are probably in the draft QB sweepstakes, unless Hall dazzles against both the Pack and the Lions

They will probably take one of the Penix, Nix, etc. group after the Top 3 get taken. Either a 1st round reach or whichever one falls to them in the 2nd.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,175

Post#31 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:30 pm

Mags FTW wrote:
Treebeard wrote:Vikes are probably in the draft QB sweepstakes, unless Hall dazzles against both the Pack and the Lions

They will probably take one of the Penix, Nix, etc. group after the Top 3 get taken. Either a 1st round reach or whichever one falls to them in the 2nd.

With two more losses they could be in play for Daniels. God that would suck some serious ass.
Mags FTW
RealGM

Post#32 » by Mags FTW » Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:44 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Mags FTW wrote:

With two more losses they could be in play for Daniels. God that would suck some serious ass.

There are already 7 teams guaranteed to have a worse record than them. Of those, I don't think the Top 3 don't get past CHI, WAS, NE, NYG, and TEN.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#33 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:45 pm

Mags FTW wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
Mags FTW wrote:They will probably take one of the Penix, Nix, etc. group after the Top 3 get taken. Either a 1st round reach or whichever one falls to them in the 2nd.

There are already 7 teams guaranteed to have a worse record than them. Of those, I don't think the Top 3 don't get past CHI, WAS, NE, NYG, and TEN.

Sure, but the more they lose the easier it is to trade up.
stillgotgame
Analyst
And1: 1,962

Post#34 » by stillgotgame » Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:49 pm

Mags FTW wrote:If you want to boost a rookie's confidence, play him against this D.

Read on Twitter
?s=46
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,173
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#35 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Dec 28, 2023 7:52 pm

Honest question regarding Daniels: I have really only a suspicion and don't really track - but 5th/6th year college QBs...are they really coveted by/do they do well in the NFL?

Obviously some guys may just come into their own at age 23 or whatever, but it seems like some of these COVID year guys are just dominating against children and then are afterthoughts for the NFL, though I understand Daniels put up video game numbers and should be a top pick.

Like, you could play the game: what if Justin Fields got to play college football in 2022? He'd have been the same age last year as Daniels is now.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,266

Post#36 » by skones » Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:01 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:If you can find a metric that has Wilson as better than a bottom 3rd starting QB other than basic passer-rating and PFF, I'd welcome it. You completely lost me with even the suggestion that Love and Wilson have been comparable this season. That's absurd.

Got it, so you just want to eliminate evidence because it doesn't suit a narrative you're pushing? For what reason? But I'll bite anyway:

6th in TD passes
18th in Passing Yards
10th in completion percentage
3rd in TD%
15th in CPOE
7th in FantasyPros Advanced Passer Rating
9th in the league in bad throw %
9th in OTGT%

I'm totally shocked you'd just blindly reframe what I said as a direct comparison to Love this year though. Completely out of character for you.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#37 » by ReasonablySober » Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:11 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:Honest question regarding Daniels: I have really only a suspicion and don't really track - but 5th/6th year college QBs...are they really coveted by/do they do well in the NFL?

Obviously some guys may just come into their own at age 23 or whatever, but it seems like some of these COVID year guys are just dominating against children and then are afterthoughts for the NFL, though I understand Daniels put up video game numbers and should be a top pick.

Like, you could play the game: what if Justin Fields got to play college football in 2022? He'd have been the same age last year as Daniels is now.

There aren't really any comparisons that can be made. We're just in a unique time.

But Joe Burrow is recent enough. He transferred, entered the NFL as an old Heisman winner from LSU. He's awesome.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,950

Post#38 » by Ron Swanson » Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:57 pm

skones wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:If you can find a metric that has Wilson as better than a bottom 3rd starting QB other than basic passer-rating and PFF, I'd welcome it. You completely lost me with even the suggestion that Love and Wilson have been comparable this season. That's absurd.

Got it, so you just want to eliminate evidence because it doesn't suit a narrative you're pushing? For what reason? But I'll bite anyway:

6th in TD passes
18th in Passing Yards
10th in completion percentage
3rd in TD%
15th in CPOE

7th in FantasyPros Advanced Passer Rating
9th in the league in bad throw %
9th in OTGT%

I'm totally shocked you'd just blindly reframe what I said as a direct comparison to Love this year though. Completely out of character for you.

Dude, you're not even trying lol.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, there is nuance at play, and a lot of that isn't measured in a box score.

M-C-G wrote:
skones wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:
Read on Twitter
?t=rDLtlQMhxblPW89rd1wu7g&s=19

Not good but not awful either. If you average these metrics out that puts him about 20th in the NFL

I'd consider a composite ranking which typically puts you in "not starting next year" territory to be pretty awful, especially when all of these numbers are trending down further. 10 Opening Day starters from 2022 lost their jobs vs 2023.

Russell Wilson has been, to borrow a favorite phrase, "ass" this season. They surely benched him in part because they don't want to get him hurt and be on the hook for even more dead cap, but in no universe is an organization gonna outright cut (which they will) a QB who they invested that absurd amount of money and draft capital in if his level of play was even remotely above replacement level. Why you're going all contrarian on this is a weird choice.
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,266

Post#39 » by skones » Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:09 pm

Ron Swanson wrote:
Dude, you're not even trying lol.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, there is nuance at play, and a lot of that isn't measured in a box score.

M-C-G wrote:
skones wrote:
I'd consider a composite ranking which typically puts you in "not starting next year" territory to be pretty awful, especially when all of these numbers are trending down further. 10 Opening Day starters from 2022 lost their jobs vs 2023.

Russell Wilson has been, to borrow a favorite phrase, "ass" this season. They surely benched him in part because they don't want to get him hurt and be on the hook for even more dead cap, but in no universe is an organization gonna outright cut (which they will) a QB who they invested that absurd amount of money and draft capital in if his level of play was even remotely above replacement level. Why you're going all contrarian on this is weird.

I'm not even trying? You're not even stating a case here. You're just saying he's been terrible and using my word, "ass." Like what are you on about? You're just quoting things I've said about Love in an attempt to misdirect. I have zero clue how I'm being contrarian when the narrative out there is NOT Russell Wilson has been AWFUL and he deserves to be benched. The general line the media is taking here is more in line with what I'm saying which makes the contrarian you. I said Russell Wilson has been "fine" this season. That's true. Is that "fine" play with the price they paid? No.

This is Sean Payton flexing because Wilson was never his guy and he made that known at every turn he possibly could have this season. The Broncos are openly enforcing a financial ultimatum and they look awful because of it.
Kerb Hohl
RealGM
And1: 4,173
Location: Hmmmm...how many 1sts would Jason Richardson cost...?

Post#40 » by Kerb Hohl » Thu Dec 28, 2023 9:35 pm

Yeah, Wilson has been solid. I think people are willing to pay an older top 5 QB with a massive cap hit and team issues. That was Rodgers for us until 2022.

The problem is Wilson, like Carr last year, is in that 10-15 range league-wide the way he's played this year. It's only going to get worse from here.

Return to Green Bay Packers