College Football Discussion - Saban Retiring

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,509

College Football Discussion - Saban Retiring 

Post#1 » by MickeyDavis » Sat Dec 30, 2023 4:23 am

Other thread almost maxed out, with playoffs looming good time for a new thread.
I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
stillgotgame
Analyst
And1: 1,946

Re: College Football Discussion 

Post#2 » by stillgotgame » Sat Dec 30, 2023 5:04 pm

Read on Twitter
?s=46

SEC owns the Big Ten right now. Be a good time to turn this around.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#3 » by MickeyDavis » Sat Dec 30, 2023 6:33 pm

I can't stand Michigan or Alabama but I'll begrudgingly root for Michigan
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,683

Post#4 » by MikeIsGood » Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:07 pm

Florida State is getting absolutely pounded.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,066

Post#5 » by MVP2110 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:20 pm

MikeIsGood wrote:Florida State is getting absolutely pounded.

Makes sense given all the guys who transferred out. I'm pretty sure Georgia had zero players opt out of the bowl game which is pretty incredible
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
PintSizedBox10
Head Coach
And1: 3,229

Post#6 » by PintSizedBox10 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:41 pm

Not a soul on social media realizes FSU is down like 20 starters.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by MVP2110 » Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:48 pm

PintSizedBox10 wrote:Not a soul on social media realizes FSU is down like 20 starters.

Yep. This is essentially a full strength Georgia team vs Florida St's backups
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,683

Post#8 » by MikeIsGood » Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:49 pm

I've not been paying attention and didn't know that either. I guess not surprising ESPN is quiet on it considering they want to sell SEC dominance.

Still, this is something. This is kind of a "college football is broken" moment.
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#9 » by MickeyDavis » Sat Dec 30, 2023 10:51 pm

Bowers is out with an "ankle" that sounds like he would have played if it was a playoff game but that's it.

With draft and transfer guys sitting out, non playoff bowls suck. It will be interesting to see how many of the top 12 sit out next year.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,076

Post#10 » by ReasonablySober » Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:09 am

The Seminoles played without their top two quarterbacks, top two running backs, top two receivers, starting tight end, three starting defensive linemen, two of three starting linebackers and three starting defensive backs. They were down 29 scholarship players in all.
ReginaldDwight
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,771

Post#11 » by ReginaldDwight » Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:10 am

MickeyDavis wrote:Bowers is out with an "ankle" that sounds like he would have played if it was a playoff game but that's it.

With draft and transfer guys sitting out, non playoff bowls suck. It will be interesting to see how many of the top 12 sit out next year.

Id imagine if youre on a team that has to win 3 games to win the title we will see a similar situation. TBH the playoff broke college football. How many times did the wrong team really win the national title before the playoff?
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#12 » by MVP2110 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:32 am

ReginaldDwight wrote:
MickeyDavis wrote:Bowers is out with an "ankle" that sounds like he would have played if it was a playoff game but that's it.

Id imagine if youre on a team that has to win 3 games to win the title we will see a similar situation. TBH the playoff broke college football. How many times did the wrong team really win the national title before the playoff?

What's crazy is in the old BCS system(before conference championship games) Wisconsin likely plays in the National Championship game in 2017
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by ReasonablySober » Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:34 am

ReginaldDwight wrote:

How would we ever know without the playoffs?
MartyConlonOnTheRun
RealGM
And1: 11,031

Post#14 » by MartyConlonOnTheRun » Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:55 am

ReasonablySober wrote:
The Seminoles played without their top two quarterbacks, top two running backs, top two receivers, starting tight end, three starting defensive linemen, two of three starting linebackers and three starting defensive backs. They were down 29 scholarship players in all.

At what point do they just do an al McGuire and say nah we are good when asked to be in the bowl game? This isn't good for the product either but I'm not sure how networks can pressure kids who aren't being paid to play.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by ReasonablySober » Sun Dec 31, 2023 3:57 am

MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

At what point do they just do an al McGuire and say nah we are good when asked to be in the bowl game? This isn't good for the product either but I'm not sure how networks can pressure kids who aren't being paid to play.

You could have the NIL sponsors stipulate in their deals that they need to play in bowls.
trwi7
RealGM
And1: 26,396

Post#16 » by trwi7 » Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:16 am

ReasonablySober wrote:
ReginaldDwight wrote:

And a lot of times we don't want the best team to win. Who wanted Kentucky to beat Wisconsin when they were 38-0? Unless you're a fan of the #1 seed who loses, who doesn't love seeing a 1 vs 16 upset happen?
stellation wrote:What's the difference between Gery Woelful and this glass of mineral water? The mineral water actually has a source."

I Hate Manure wrote:We look to be awful next season without Beasley.
ReginaldDwight
Assistant Coach

Post#17 » by ReginaldDwight » Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:49 am

trwi7 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
ReginaldDwight wrote:Id imagine if youre on a team that has to win 3 games to win the title we will see a similar situation. TBH the playoff broke college football. How many times did the wrong team really win the national title before the playoff?

And a lot of times we don't want the best team to win. Who wanted Kentucky to beat Wisconsin when they were 38-0? Unless you're a fan of the #1 seed who loses, who doesn't love seeing a 1 vs 16 upset happen?

Cant compare basketball with football, the attempts to replicate march madness with the CFP have failed IMO.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#18 » by ReasonablySober » Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:50 am

ReginaldDwight wrote:
trwi7 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:

Cant compare basketball with football, the attempts to replicate march madness with the CFP have failed IMO.

Lower divisions in college football have playoffs every year. It's great. No reason it can't be a success at the highest levels.
ReginaldDwight
Assistant Coach

Post#19 » by ReginaldDwight » Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:53 am

ReasonablySober wrote:
ReginaldDwight wrote:
trwi7 wrote:

Lower divisions in college football have playoffs every year. It's great. No reason it can't be a success at the highest levels.

Then have to accept that the majority of the college football season will be glorified scrimmages once teams are out of the running for the CFP. The difference is those lower level guys are playing for different reasons then a kid at a P5 school who plays.
ReginaldDwight
Assistant Coach

Post#20 » by ReginaldDwight » Sun Dec 31, 2023 4:56 am

MickeyDavis wrote:I can't stand Michigan or Alabama but I'll begrudgingly root for Michigan

I want in this order Washington Michigan.........................Bama.............Texas

Return to Green Bay Packers