GT: Packers at 49ers - 1/20/24 - 7:15 - FOX

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,673

Re: GT: Packers at 49ers - 1/20/24 - 7:15 - FOX 

Post#981 » by WeekapaugGroove » Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:44 pm

Kerb Hohl wrote:
Ron Swanson wrote:If the NFL has taught me anything, it's that you throw out the analytics once you get to the postseason. We didn't play our best football and yet still should have beaten the team everyone said was an unstoppable NFC juggernaut. I'm just gonna disagree that you chalk it up to "well, it was a tough road so you can't blame them". The opportunities were there and we just didn't execute. "Youngest team in the league" or not, they certainly weren't playing like it the past 10-12 weeks, and I think that should therefore shift your expectations. All that said, yes, I'm very excited about the future going forward, just also very bummed that we should arguably be favorites to come out of the NFC right now instead of sitting at home.

I mean, again, we are wearing Packers glasses. The 49ers played a spectacularly **** game by their standards. If we're judging how we should feel coming out of a game, I can guarantee you the 49ers can play a way better game than that. Purdy's hands did not do him favors in the rain. We got so many gifted bad throws on 3rd down or whatever, even if we dropped some key INTs.

About all I can say is I would never "throw out the analytics." Yes, the full season analytics would say the 49ers were head-and-shoulders better than the Packers. The last 10 weeks analytics agreed, the Packers were a top 5 NFL team. But they also had a short week of rest and were on the road, so that cancelled out a bit...but still was probably why the Packers covered the spread and had a chance to win. But you could kind of say similar things about the Texans. They have CJ Stroud and blew the doors off the Browns. But the Ravens played well and kicked the **** out of them, as they should have.
Yeah I watched the game with my friend who's a 49ers fan and he was getting frustrated by their missed opportunities all game. So it really does depend on perspective.

Sent from my SM-F731U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,957

Post#982 » by BUCKnation » Tue Jan 23, 2024 2:21 am

MoMM wrote:Overall I really liked this season and I was a pro-tank at some point. My only problem was keeping Anders. Let's be honest, this guy was only drafted and not released by us because his brother is a top kicker and our management dreams that the same trajectory will happen again, which is super unlikely.

This reminds me of what I said in the season preview where I thought he’d cost us a few games which would be great for the tank. Damn…
Lippo
Lead Assistant
And1: 947

Post#983 » by Lippo » Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:15 am

Just think of it this way too. We can probably extend Love for 5/225m now, if he won the SB, it would have been 5/260m
thomchatt3rton
Head Coach
And1: 2,230

GT: Packers at 49ers - 1/20/24 - 7:15 - FOX 

Post#984 » by thomchatt3rton » Tue Jan 23, 2024 12:38 pm

The only thing bothering me is that I wish Love had played a little better. He wasn’t at all *bad*, and he made some plays, but he looked jumpy all night and sorta regressed to weeks 4-8 Love.

My concern is: whenever we can’t run our normal offense (bcuz of clock, being down big, or a good defense takes it away) Love has not been great.

I guess I have a suspicion that Love is largely a product of LaFleur. Which is ok—all QBs are, to an extent, a product of their coach/system, and being a good system qb is underrated imo.

Am I being too harsh on the young guy? Idk. I’m still high on Love and on the future.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
thomchatt3rton
Head Coach

Post#985 » by thomchatt3rton » Tue Jan 23, 2024 1:07 pm

I’ll add to the above^^. Credit to SFs secondary—it happened largely off-screen, but they must’ve played a hell of a game.

RubberSoul
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,823

Post#986 » by RubberSoul » Tue Jan 23, 2024 3:25 pm

Love was nearly flawless for 3 quarters against a top defense I’m not overly concerned about his 4th quarter struggles. I do wish he would have finished strongly and had a legacy type drive there at the end but we aren’t allowed to have fun times in the playoffs as packer fans so I figured it probably wouldn’t happen. To me his two picks were really his only bad throws and he paid for both of them. The throw to Jones was a miscommunication and I wish he had just run to pick up the first down instead. Even the throw to Doubs that he could have caught on that last drive was absurd the way he feathered it between the secondary levels. I wish we could view the alternate ending where he doesn’t make the worst decision he made all year to see how it would have ended.

I hope he picks up where he left off this season and this is a top flight offense all year next year and I anticipate that will happen. Young guys generally don’t get worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,704

Post#987 » by Ron Swanson » Tue Jan 23, 2024 4:29 pm

You could honestly just sum up the difference in the game being San Fran's 2nd best inside-linebacker has better hands/ball-skills then our starting defensive backs. Like I said before, it absolutely sucks that our guys can never seem to take advantage of the mistakes the other team gifts us. Greenlaw makes an athletic play going to the turf while Savage and Nixon literally watch the easiest INT's they'll ever have go right through their hands...
thomchatt3rton
Head Coach

Post#988 » by thomchatt3rton » Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:01 pm

RubberSoul wrote:Love was nearly flawless for 3 quarters against a top defense I’m not overly concerned about his 4th quarter struggles. I do wish he would have finished strongly and had a legacy type drive there at the end but we aren’t allowed to have fun times in the playoffs as packer fans so I figured it probably wouldn’t happen. To me his two picks were really his only bad throws and he paid for both of them. The throw to Jones was a miscommunication and I wish he had just run to pick up the first down instead. Even the throw to Doubs that he could have caught on that last drive was absurd the way he feathered it between the secondary levels. I wish we could view the alternate ending where he doesn’t make the worst decision he made all year to see how it would have ended.

I hope he picks up where he left off this season and this is a top flight offense all year next year and I anticipate that will happen. Young guys generally don’t get worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m being tough on Love because I’m “grading” him on the steep curve of whether he’ll make the jump from good qb to top qb.

Grading him based on where he is now, I couldn’t be happier.

I thought he never looked comfortable all night, and that SF took away what we wanted to do, and while he was good taking what they DID give us, whenever Love was required to do more than that, he mainly couldn’t.

It’s absolutely possible he improves and learns to better solve good defenses, and I like his chances, but it is not guaranteed.

WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,673

Post#989 » by WeekapaugGroove » Tue Jan 23, 2024 5:51 pm

Savage had a rough night in big moments. Easy pick 6 dropped, he whiffed on the McCaffrey TD run, and got beat on the Kittle TD (it's possible he was supposed to have help over the top on that play).

Sent from my SM-F731U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
raysbookclub
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,176

Post#990 » by raysbookclub » Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:47 pm

Rewatched a few parts of the game. Not sure if people have mentioned this, but on Jones’ big 50+ yard run in the fourth quarter, the one leading to the missed FG, it really seemed like Jones could have just run straight down the middle of the field instead of breaking right like he did around midfield. He had two blockers in front of him down the middle. Feels like he could have gotten a lot more yards that way, even a TD. Why did he veer and go horizontal instead of just going straight? Sigh, would have been a dagger to go up 28-17 there.

Reminds me of the playoff game vs SF a couple years ago when he had the long reception at the end of the first half. Big play, but he inexplicably cut back to the left instead of going straight down the sideline. It cost the team yards and a timeout. Ended with a missed FG also.

Return to Green Bay Packers