GT: Packers at 49ers - 1/20/24 - 7:15 - FOX

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

paulpressey25
Senior Mod - Bucks
Senior Mod - Bucks
And1: 26,100

Re: GT: Packers at 49ers - 1/20/24 - 7:15 - FOX 

Post#921 » by paulpressey25 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:01 pm

humanrefutation wrote:This kinda reminds me of that 2009 playoff game in Arizona where we lost in a shootout in OT to Kurt Warner and the Cardinals. The game where Rodgers barely missed Greg Jennings on a bomb and then gave up a strip-sack TD for the loss. It was a crushing loss, but in many ways, it also foreshadowed good things to come with a young, dynamic team.

And we won the Super Bowl the next year.

There's lot to be excited about. But Barry has to go and we need to make a couple key additions to the defense (ala Raji and Claymaker) to put us over the top.

Yep. We need to get two defensive playmakers. That’s the piece this years team was missing. A Clay, a Nick Collins, a Butler or Woodson. If we force one turnover last night, we probably win (in addition to getting a new kicker)
In depth discussions here - shorter stuff on Twitter

https://twitter.com/paulpressey25
Swan Vox
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,917

Post#922 » by Swan Vox » Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:06 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:
humanrefutation wrote:This kinda reminds me of that 2009 playoff game in Arizona where we lost in a shootout in OT to Kurt Warner and the Cardinals. The game where Rodgers barely missed Greg Jennings on a bomb and then gave up a strip-sack TD for the loss. It was a crushing loss, but in many ways, it also foreshadowed good things to come with a young, dynamic team.

There's lot to be excited about. But Barry has to go and we need to make a couple key additions to the defense (ala Raji and Claymaker) to put us over the top.

Yep. We need to get two defensive playmakers. That’s the piece this years team was missing. A Clay, a Nick Collins, a Butler or Woodson. If we force one turnover last night, we probably win (in addition to getting a new kicker)

A playmaker like Rasul Douglas? *sigh* That one hurts a bit. I agreed with the decision at the time and still appreciate the 3rd rounder, but man, Rasul showed up in these big games and we could have used that last night.
PintSizedBox10
Head Coach
And1: 3,230

Post#923 » by PintSizedBox10 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:09 pm

Gary is paid like an elite playmaker.
Karmaloop
General Manager
And1: 1,478

Post#924 » by Karmaloop » Sun Jan 21, 2024 4:50 pm

Sigra wrote:Just finished watching. I am not expert for NFL but for me it looks like Love lost confidence when that big guy from off line was injured.

Losing Zach Tom certainly hurt. How many of Bosa's QB hits came after Tom left the game?
dbrodz7
Sixth Man
And1: 1,242

Post#925 » by dbrodz7 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:39 pm

I’m not going to fault Love too much for trying to do too much. He’s inexperienced it was pouring rain, Purdy didn’t play very good either but our defense can’t catch and is overall an average unit at best. Love was on the road against a big time elite defense. I also think there’s a factor of thinking your kicker can’t make it and trying to do too much even if subconscious.
Misery loves company
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,242

Post#926 » by LUKE23 » Sun Jan 21, 2024 6:42 pm

There is no excusing the throw, it was an awful decision and the Packers had plenty of time to get into FG range (and a chance at a TD with even one big chunk play). That said, it’s one play of many that cost us. Not picking up the 4th down early. Two dropped INT including one pick 6. Missed FG. Wyatt letting CMC get close to a 1st down when he had him wrapped up for no gain. List goes on and on.
BUCKnation
RealGM
And1: 2,958

Post#927 » by BUCKnation » Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:40 pm

MissKhriddleton wrote:
MartyConlonOnTheRun wrote:
Turk Nowitzki wrote:God damn man, just throw it away what the ****

Read on Twitter

1. How big of an idiot was 57 to keep running around with the ball
2. Seems weird there was nothing to the short right. Wonder if AJ had any opportunity to leak out

Seemed like he had an easy 10 yard gain if he would have (assuming Love would have seen him) but decided to whiff on a block instead.

Really needed to punch it in after that long run and we failed. Offense has had so many opportunities to put playoff games away the last 12 years and has come up short so many times.

Yeah, obviously hindsight but Jones should have just been on a chip Bosa, flat route. Not sure why he would have stayed on the line.
Reddeye
Bench Warmer
And1: 271

Post#928 » by Reddeye » Sun Jan 21, 2024 8:58 pm

If Love could have set his feet and thrown this deeper to the sidelines he might of had Watson. That said throw away should have been the option. Also if Jones leaks out it looks like a big gain on a check down.
MiltownMadness
Starter
And1: 888

Post#929 » by MiltownMadness » Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:41 am

What a ride that was, most enjoyable Packer season since SB run. That was magic. Onto the next
MickeyDavis
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 45,522

Post#930 » by MickeyDavis » Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:51 am

I'm against picketing but I don't know how to show it.
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 15,057

Post#931 » by RiotPunch » Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:25 am

Niner fans are soooo salty about the Packers getting more credit in the media for outplaying them than they are getting for winning the game. Not as good as us winning, but it is still a little satisfying.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
RiotPunch
RealGM
And1: 15,057

Post#932 » by RiotPunch » Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:50 am

XtremeDunkz wrote:Get on the phone with Wink Martindale tonight. I'm a true believer in him as an elite DC

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Yeah, sign me up. LaFleur needs to realize that working with friends rarely pans out. Go get someone who can mirror your prowess on the other side of the ball. We have legit weapons to deploy on defense-- I think Wink would relish the opportunity to get the most out of this group.
#FreeChuckDiesel
Bucksmaniac wrote:I'm sorry, but I'm starting to sour on Giannis
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,853

Post#933 » by coolhandluke121 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 12:18 pm

Someone should ask MLF to pretend he's game-planning for Joe Barry's defense and explain what he would do to attack it. You would think that would open his eyes a little because he would probably be salivating at the opportunity if he conceived of it that way, but then again blind spots can show up in the weirdest of places. I remember when Scott Skiles had a great defensive system predicated on forcing opponents into a lot of long 2's, and then they would march down to the offensive end and take a bunch of long 2's themselves. :lol:

Also, the defense got way too much credit late in the season, what with Minnesota starting one of the most forgettable QBs you'll ever see, Dallas and MM doing Dallas/MM things, Purdy not even being able to grip the ball, and Fields being Fields. The defense still looked very vulnerable any time opposing offenses weren't sabotaging themselves.
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,072

Post#934 » by MVP2110 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:17 pm

coolhandluke121 wrote:Someone should ask MLF to pretend he's game-planning for Joe Barry's defense and explain what he would do to attack it. You would think that would open his eyes a little because he would probably be salivating at the opportunity if he conceived of it that way, but then again blind spots can show up in the weirdest of places. I remember when Scott Skiles had a great defensive system predicated on forcing opponents into a lot of long 2's, and then they would march down to the offensive end and take a bunch of long 2's themselves. :lol:

Also, the defense got way too much credit late in the season, what with Minnesota starting one of the most forgettable QBs you'll ever see, Dallas and MM doing Dallas/MM things, Purdy not even being able to grip the ball, and Fields being Fields. The defense still looked very vulnerable any time opposing offenses weren't sabotaging themselves.

Oddly enough at the time MLF hired Barry, one of the reasons for it was MLF said he hated gameplanning against that type of scheme which is why he wanted to hire somebody to come run it.
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,072

Post#935 » by MVP2110 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:20 pm

RiotPunch wrote:
XtremeDunkz wrote:Get on the phone with Wink Martindale tonight. I'm a true believer in him as an elite DC

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Yeah, sign me up. LaFleur needs to realize that working with friends rarely pans out. Go get someone who can mirror your prowess on the other side of the ball. We have legit weapons to deploy on defense-- I think Wink would relish the opportunity to get the most out of this group.

I don't really buy the he only hires his friends idea. He only coached with Barry for one year prior to Barry being DC. He had never coached with Mike Pettine, Nathaniel Hackett, Shawn Mennenga, or Rich Bisaccia prior to hiring any of them to be his coordinators. He offered the job originally to Jim Leonhard who he had never coached with. I don't think MLF hired Barry because they were friends, he hired him because he thought he'd do the best job(which has obviously been a mistake)
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
Daver
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,996

Post#936 » by Daver » Mon Jan 22, 2024 1:44 pm

paulpressey25 wrote:

Should of had 2 easy ints 1 had pic6 written all over it.Niners hung onto their ints we didnt plus if MLF kicks a FG instead of fsilung on that 4th down try does that make a difference
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,709

Post#937 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Jan 22, 2024 2:30 pm

After sleeping on it, I listened to some reaction podcasts yesterday and thought they had a pretty solid take. Basically, this loss is only comforting/not a gut-punch depending on how the next few seasons go. If this is indeed the beginning of a prolonged run and the opening of a new window of contention, then yeah, no big deal. The 2009 Wildcard loss and the 2011 divisional collapse were bearable because they were sandwiched in between a Super Bowl. But if we don't make it to the NFCCG these next couple years, then man, this was such a golden opportunity that we squandered.

Easy to say because we're used to being in the Final 4 every other year as Packer fans, but in single elimination playoff sports, you gotta take advantage of these moments because you never know when you'll be back in that position again. I have faith that we have the organizational stability and talent to be consistent SB contenders in the next 5-10 years, but again, so did the previous iteration of this team from 2012-2022. At some point we just have to be the team that wins on the margins and be on the beneficiary end of those 3-4 clutch plays in a crucial playoff game.
jimmybones
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,727

Post#938 » by jimmybones » Mon Jan 22, 2024 3:38 pm

humanrefutation wrote:This one isn't hurting me much, honestly. Maybe it's because I'm used to it, but I think it's more because I never expected them to get this far to begin with and because I'm as excited for the future of this team as I have been since maybe 2009 or so. For them to be this young and have a **** juggernaut 49ers team on the ropes on the road late in the fourth is hella impressive.

Lots to look forward to.

This is the way. If you remove emotion and past seasons failures (which is not the fault of the current players) and you look at it objectively, with the youth of the roster, we were never even supposed to make it this far.

Two things can be true: you can be disappointed at the feeling of a squandered opportunity and still recognize this team is ahead of schedule and there is a lot to look forward to.
Turk Nowitzki
RealGM
And1: 9,938

Post#939 » by Turk Nowitzki » Mon Jan 22, 2024 5:17 pm

I feel like past losses have left me both upset and heartbroken while this one is only leaving me upset, if that makes sense. It's definitely okay to be upset, nothing is guaranteed year to year in the NFL. You just dont know. Five years from now we could be looking back at this as the best chance we had.

I'm still upset. If we just straight up get beat there was no shame in that but everyone knows we should 100% be gearing up to play the Lions on Sunday, that makes it hard.
jute2003
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,330

Post#940 » by jute2003 » Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:07 pm

After a couple nut punches years ago and then covid, combined with the obscene amount of money in these leagues, I've come to appreciate the fact that sports are just Entertainment. They really don't matter at all as there are far more important things to worry about.
only a fan, only an opinion

Return to Green Bay Packers