RRyder823
General Manager
And1: 4,181

Re: Packers News, Transactions, Trades 

Post#61 » by RRyder823 » Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:11 am

Reddeye wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:
Reddeye wrote:
Just to make sure are you saying the Player B contract is for 15 million plus a chance to earn 7 million in incentives? Or is it a possible 30 million?
Possible 30

Sent from my SM-S918U using RealGM mobile app

Since salaries are guaranteed week 1 that is basically 23 million guaranteed.
But not at the time of signing the contract which is what I'm being told is all that matters.

I was gonna list the hypotheticals as 2 year deals but thought that might end up confusing people and surprised it took this long for someone to point this detail out :)

Same scernio for both players just make both two year deals still makes the same point

ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,122

Post#62 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:13 am

RRyder823 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:\Arguing that extra cash flow on top of the guarantees doesn't matter at all is just being intentionally difficult (you did say the guaranteed portion is the ONLY thing that matters)

^^ That's what you said.

This is what I said:

I beg you, just look at guaranteed money. Look at what the practical value of a contract is. That's all that matters.

Please, again, look at the PRACTICAL value of the contract.

Practical includes all of the likely bonuses. You jumped into to an argument today clearly not understanding what is being discussed. What I have been arguing against is using what someone's yearly salary or APY is.

Would you rather sign a one year deal for $17 million and be the highest paid center in the league for that season? Or would you rather sign a two deal that gives you $30 million guaranteed but your average salary is $15 million per year? This is the NFL. You'd be an idiot not to take the second contract. If you'd rather go year to year, you'd just take the Franchise tag. Tell me, do you see a lot of players asking to be Franchised?

I jumped into an argument today when you started to use hyperbole to try and make a point and yet continue to deny that it was.

Good job. I'm glad you hopped in to explain that other stuff like bonuses and incentives matter. I had absolutely no idea that those existed.
stillgotgame
Analyst
And1: 1,960

Post#63 » by stillgotgame » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:27 am

Media has been hyping guaranteed money is the only thing that matters and casuals listen. Reality is a lot of contracts with big balloon numbers at the end are being played out. Players are showing their value combined with the cap going up, resulting in those large numbers being reasonable market value.
When players don’t offer to negotiate they have a lot of leverage as the team hasn’t budgeted for the higher cap number.
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,788

Post#64 » by Ayt » Sat Apr 20, 2024 12:18 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
Who gives a **** about per year? The only thing that matters is guaranteed amounts.
I'll never understand how this line of thinking ingrained itself in the minds of so many fans.

Guaranteed money is obviously a big factor, but it simply isn't true.

Cap hits are what matter both for when they're on the roster and if the team wants to move on. Yes, guaranteed money is a big part of that (exponentially so for the latter) buts it's not the "only thing that matters"

Cap hits matter to the team. But they make no difference to the player. Guys and their agents all know the true value of the deal they're signing. Ryan Ramczyk knows that by signing his deal he's going to get cut before that last $30 million kicks in.

It's an ego boost thing for the players and a big shiny number agents can tell other potential clients. It means nothing in practical terms.

You are contracting yourself. Cap hits absolutely make a difference for the player since they know they are going to get cut due to cap hits based on the structure of the contract, as you just stated yourself in the very same paragraph.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#65 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:04 pm

Ayt wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
RRyder823 wrote:I'll never understand how this line of thinking ingrained itself in the minds of so many fans.

Guaranteed money is obviously a big factor, but it simply isn't true.

Cap hits are what matter both for when they're on the roster and if the team wants to move on. Yes, guaranteed money is a big part of that (exponentially so for the latter) buts it's not the "only thing that matters"

Cap hits matter to the team. But they make no difference to the player. Guys and their agents all know the true value of the deal they're signing. Ryan Ramczyk knows that by signing his deal he's going to get cut before that last $30 million kicks in.

It's an ego boost thing for the players and a big shiny number agents can tell other potential clients. It means nothing in practical terms.

You are contracting yourself. Cap hits absolutely make a difference for the player since they know they are going to get cut due to cap hits based on the structure of the contract, as you just stated yourself in the very same paragraph.

Does it make much more difference than a void year?
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,930

Post#66 » by Matches Malone » Sat Apr 20, 2024 10:40 pm

Read on Twitter
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
Matches Malone
RealGM

Packers News, Transactions, Trades 

Post#67 » by Matches Malone » Mon Apr 22, 2024 6:20 pm

Read on Twitter
Matches Malone
RealGM

Post#68 » by Matches Malone » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:30 am

Read on Twitter
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,093

Post#69 » by MVP2110 » Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:15 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=xZV0fwvFMAl02PBIRI1HnQ&s=19
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
Matches Malone
RealGM

Post#70 » by Matches Malone » Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:59 pm

Read on Twitter
jimmybones
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,768

Post#71 » by jimmybones » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:33 pm

Post draft one thing I'm intrigued by is the limited investment in CB and DL. The three safeties have slot ability so they essentially add depth there but they must feel good about Stokes/Vallentine/Ballentine. Same with the DL - will be interesting to see how they line up but I think they are very high on Brooks and Wooden.

Anyone wanna throw at the wall a way too early guess of starting front 7?
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#72 » by ReasonablySober » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:53 pm

jimmybones wrote:Post draft one thing I'm intrigued by is the limited investment in CB and DL. The three safeties have slot ability so they essentially add depth there but they must feel good about Stokes/Vallentine/Ballentine. Same with the DL - will be interesting to see how they line up but I think they are very high on Brooks and Wooden.

Don't think we're going to see a front seven that often, if ever.

LDE: Smith
LDT: Wyatt
RDT: Clark
RDE: Gary

WLB: Walker
SLB: Cooper

LCB: Alexander
SS: Bullard
FS: McKinney
RCB: Stokes

NB: Valentine

Sub out Clark for LVN on long downs.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#73 » by MVP2110 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:00 pm

jimmybones wrote:Post draft one thing I'm intrigued by is the limited investment in CB and DL. The three safeties have slot ability so they essentially add depth there but they must feel good about Stokes/Vallentine/Ballentine. Same with the DL - will be interesting to see how they line up but I think they are very high on Brooks and Wooden.

DE: Gary
DT: Clark
DT: Wyatt/Slaton(Wyatt on pass downs, TJ on run downs)
DE: Van Ness(I'm hoping he overtakes Preston this year)

LB: McDuffie
LB: Quay(Cooper comes in when a 3rd LB is needed or as an injury replacement)

Outside CB:Jaire
Outside CB:Valentine(maybe Stokes)
Slot CB: Nixon(all 3 rookie safeties can sub in for Nixon too)

S: McKinney
S: Bullard(I don't see a use in naming one Free or Strong because I think they are mostly interchangeable and will flip throughout a game

I wanted to put Karl Brooks on the line because I think he'll play quite a bit but if everyone is healthy he's probably DT4
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
jimmybones
Lead Assistant

Post#74 » by jimmybones » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:23 pm

I also hope LVN surpasses Preston but they will all rotate. I suppose at most spots that will be the case and maybe a better way to look at the pecking order

DE: Gary, Preston, LVN, assume that some of the DT can be interchangeable here some, especially on early downs
DT: Clark, Wyatt, Brooks, Slaton, Wooden

LB: Quay, Cooper (hoping he proves he needs to be in the field day one), McDuffie, Hopper

-probably true we mostly see 2 LB set

-Really hope Cooper proves himself early and that LVN and Brooks (and Wyatt) take steps forward
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,837

Post#75 » by Ron Swanson » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:36 pm

Organization at least seems to be anticipating getting something out of Stokes still. I just don't know if that's a smart bet at this point.
jimmybones
Lead Assistant

Post#76 » by jimmybones » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:48 pm

Yeah, I am hopeful Stokes can find his way back but not banking on it. Hopefully they are comfortable with the combo of Jaire, Valentine, Ballentine and now King in case they get nothing from Stokes.

If they really like Bullard as a slot and one of the other young safeties deserve to be on the field then they kinda indirectly upgraded CB there with the NB/slot help.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#77 » by MVP2110 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:51 pm

It does seem like Hafley watched our film from last year and decided Safeties & Linebackers needed to be overhauled while Corners & the Dline were mostly fine. CB looks to be our weakest position on the roster at this point but Jaire is still a stud, they clearly like Nixon alot based on the contract he got, and Stokes & Valentine are atleast interesting wildcards with Ballentine & King providing depth
JEIS
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,166

Post#78 » by JEIS » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:03 pm

Micah Parsons podcast The Edge had Jordan Love on..Dude Legit was steady trying to get dirt on how to beat the Packers.. and Love was taking the bait. Was pretty wild Love was answering his questions.
Matches Malone
RealGM

Post#80 » by Matches Malone » Tue Apr 30, 2024 4:12 pm

Read on Twitter

Return to Green Bay Packers