Round 1: Jordan Morgan, OT, Arizona

Moderators: MickeyDavis, paulpressey25, humanrefutation

GBPackers47
Starter
And1: 1,264

Re: Round 1: Jordan Morgan, OT, Arizona 

Post#81 » by GBPackers47 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:34 pm

MVP2110 wrote:
GBPackers47 wrote:Sean Rhyan, Zach Tom, Josh Myers, Royce Newman, Cole Van Lanen, Jon Runyan, Jake Hanson, Simon Stepaniak, Elgton Jenkins, Cole Madison, Kofi Amichia, Jason Spriggs, Kyle Murphy

That's the list of OL taken by the Packers "later in the draft" over the last 8 years. Jenkins and Tom and the history of Sitton and Lang has people believing we have some lights out track record with OL later the in draft.

That list isn't very good.

I get what you're trying to say but it's worth noting you forgot Rasheed Walker on your list who has turned out pretty darn good and I'd classify Runyan as a hit as well.

Good call on missing Walker, but there isn't a single person on this board who can confidently say that's our LT of the future. He has shown flashes, but didn't even play the position for a full year due to being benched at one point. If the Packers are drafting top 5 this year, do they skip on Joe Alt or JC Latham because they have Walker?

Again, we aren't pumping out talent on a yearly basis in the later rounds on OL to the point it isn't a legit need. We have more misses than hits so to just blindly say "Morgan is a bad pick because you can address OL later in the draft" is lazy.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,157

Post#82 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:41 pm

GBPackers47 wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:
GBPackers47 wrote:Sean Rhyan, Zach Tom, Josh Myers, Royce Newman, Cole Van Lanen, Jon Runyan, Jake Hanson, Simon Stepaniak, Elgton Jenkins, Cole Madison, Kofi Amichia, Jason Spriggs, Kyle Murphy

That's the list of OL taken by the Packers "later in the draft" over the last 8 years. Jenkins and Tom and the history of Sitton and Lang has people believing we have some lights out track record with OL later the in draft.

I get what you're trying to say but it's worth noting you forgot Rasheed Walker on your list who has turned out pretty darn good and I'd classify Runyan as a hit as well.

Good call on missing Walker, but there isn't a single person on this board who can confidently say that's our LT of the future. He has shown flashes, but didn't even play the position for a full year due to being benched at one point. If the Packers are drafting top 5 this year, do they skip on Joe Alt or JC Latham because they have Walker?

Again, we aren't pumping out talent on a yearly basis in the later rounds on OL to the point it isn't a legit need. We have more misses than hits so to just blindly say "Morgan is a bad pick because you can address OL later in the draft" is lazy.

I absolutely would have passed on Latham and Alt. Nabers, come on down.

Walker was a solid starting LT last season. He's young, has the size you want, and did excellent in pass protection. No reason to believe his best seasons aren't in front him.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,096

Post#83 » by MVP2110 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:47 pm

Yea I don't see why Walker wouldn't be considered the LT of the future after the year he had last year and given his age. If this pick was made to send Walker to the bench then I really dislike the thought process.
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,917

Post#84 » by Ron Swanson » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:48 pm

The individual player >>>>> position/archetype. Obviously have no issue with drafting an O-lineman in the 1st round. I just don't care for drafting, objectively, the 8th-9th best tackle and 10th-11th best overall O-line prospect in the first 25-picks. Bringing Mims and Guyton in for visits. Gute admitting that there were a couple guys they hoped would fall to them but didn't. It all just kind of screams to me that this was a reach pick based on fit (versatility) and position once all the blue-chip O-line guys were off the board. Maybe the most underwhelming 1st round selection for me since Damarious Randall. Obviously, I hope I'm wrong.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,271

Post#85 » by LUKE23 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:53 pm

For me he has to be able to legitimately play LT for me to like the pick. And I’m not saying he can’t.
Ron Swanson
RealGM
And1: 23,917

Post#86 » by Ron Swanson » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:17 pm

Ok, so I'm a liar:

Re: Pick 1 - Damarious Randall - S
Post#33 » by Ron Swanson » Fri May 1, 2015 3:31 am

I like it. I think Ted wants to find Dom's next Charles Woodson.

But in my defense, I envisioned him being used more like that hybrid safety role we had Chuck playing. Also, I'm kinda dumb sometimes.
Frank Nova
Head Coach
And1: 2,584

Post#87 » by Frank Nova » Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:33 pm

I loved the way Bukowski broke it down for Morgan, 1. He’s experienced, 2. He’s very athletic and 3. He’s a 4 position OL. Morgan certainly checks the 3 main boxes Gute always looks for in linemen.

Seems like a lot of positive variables now with adding Morgan to the pre existing group. I’ve seen comparisons to Matt Bergeron, E Jenkins and Bulaga, 3 really good OL. I’ve certainly warmed up to JM the past 12hrs. He ranked top 5 OT before his knee injury in 2022 so I’d have to assume he was a projected 1st round pick last year as well. Morgan said in an interview he was determined to get back on the field and was working out 3x a day to speed up his rehab and came back early to have a really good season for Arizona last year. He certainly showed he has a die hard work ethic to beat the odds and I like that. Plus he was a 2 time team captain so you gotta like the leadership skills.

As much as I wanted Dejean or Koolaid, I want Jordan Love standing upright as much as humanly possible even more. This is a really good pick.
RIP Kobe Forever. GOAT 8-24. Long Live Giannis
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,390

Post#88 » by M-C-G » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:13 pm

GBPackers47 wrote:
M-C-G wrote:

Compare that to another team and it looks good, I also think you have to include UDFA guys that hit to be fair.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The point isn't to compare it to another team. It's to say you don't pass on OL in Round 1 because you think we historically always find quality later in the draft. We don't.

Ah, I get your point, but I think I still kind of disagree to extent.
jimmybones
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,769

Post#89 » by jimmybones » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:46 pm

MVP2110 wrote:Bright side, Jordan Morgan in theory should be your starting RG for the next decade

I do think that initial look is he's a Guard and I'm okay with it and comfortable with a Walker/Tom combo at Tackle. Morgan should be a day one starter at guard...

...which is a bummer to those that are overconfident in their ability to predict which flashy player they like will be a stud was passed on but in reality it's a great outcome. Smart, prudent move even if not sexy.
jimmybones
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,769

Post#90 » by jimmybones » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:49 pm

LittleRooster wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:
Turk Nowitzki wrote:He might ultimately project better inside but I don't know you would arrive at the idea that he can only play guard considering he played exclusively LT in college.

Most projections have him moving inside because of how short his arms are.

His arms are only a tad shorter than Tom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure if referencing a tackle that they think can be better playing inside is a good reference point to why he's a tackle
GBPackers47
Starter
And1: 1,264

Post#91 » by GBPackers47 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:50 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
GBPackers47 wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:

Walker was a solid starting LT last season. He's young, has the size you want, and did excellent in pass protection. No reason to believe his best seasons aren't in front him.

I'm not saying Walker won't be the answer, but not looking at LT this offseason because he looked promising would have been a massive mistake.

But Rasheed Walker's ability is not my initial point. My point was people saying Jordan Morgan is a bad pick because we always find OL later is not true or else we wouldn't have a massive problem at C and RG right now.
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,157

Post#92 » by ReasonablySober » Fri Apr 26, 2024 3:57 pm

GBPackers47 wrote:
ReasonablySober wrote:
GBPackers47 wrote:

I'm not saying Walker won't be the answer, but not looking at LT this offseason because he looked promising would have been a massive mistake.

But Rasheed Walker's ability is not my initial point. My point was people saying Jordan Morgan is a bad pick because we always find OL later is not true or else we wouldn't have a massive problem at C and RG right now.

I think where some people may come down is that if IOL is the problem, maybe wait a bit because IOL in the first round isn't typically a good use of a first rounder.

Now, if they consider him a replacement for Tom at RT because Tom is going to solve a problem the Packers have inside, then I get the Morgan pick more.
LittleRooster
General Manager
And1: 3,121

Post#93 » by LittleRooster » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:06 pm

jimmybones wrote:
LittleRooster wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:
Most projections have him moving inside because of how short his arms are.

His arms are only a tad shorter than Tom

Not sure if referencing a tackle that they think can be better playing inside is a good reference point to why he's a tackle

It’s not good to reference a top RT in comparison to Morgan? One that is playing very well there, despite, if true, the Packers wanting to move him.

And we don’t truly know the Packers want to move Tom until that actually happens.

Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 20,973

Post#94 » by Matches Malone » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:06 pm

Read on Twitter
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
Ayt
RealGM
And1: 13,788

Post#95 » by Ayt » Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:17 pm

I'm surprised people think he's a guard with his feet.
El Duderino
RealGM
And1: 1,328

Post#96 » by El Duderino » Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:12 pm

LUKE23 wrote:For me he has to be able to legitimately play LT for me to like the pick. And I’m not saying he can’t.

When picking this late in the first round, all that really matters to me is that the player chosen, he becomes a quality contributor, regardless of position. It's only busts or very mediocre players when picking late first that hurts a team.
Ill-yasova
RealGM
And1: 2,555

Post#97 » by Ill-yasova » Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:31 pm

El Duderino wrote:
LUKE23 wrote:For me he has to be able to legitimately play LT for me to like the pick. And I’m not saying he can’t.

When picking this late in the first round, all that really matters to me is that the player chosen, he becomes a quality contributor, regardless of position. It's only busts or very mediocre players when picking late first that hurts a team.

Agreed. Elite pass rushers getting moved to either side to exploit matchups so a good starting RT is still very valuable.
Ervin Johnson
Sophomore
And1: 50

Post#98 » by Ervin Johnson » Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:45 pm

According to Tony Pauline, the Commanders were trying to trade back into round 1 to get Morgan. https://www.sportskeeda.com/nfl/news-insider-notes-nfl-draft-2024-day-2-why-falcons-swooped-michael-penix-jr-bills-plans-wr
M-C-G
RealGM
And1: 9,390

Post#99 » by M-C-G » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:00 pm

Ayt wrote:I'm surprised people think he's a guard with his feet.

I think the arm length is the only reason people keep assuming that. I’ve watched enough today to say even if they start him at guard, they are going to try him at tackle at some point.

MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,096

Post#100 » by MVP2110 » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:02 pm

M-C-G wrote:
Ayt wrote:I'm surprised people think he's a guard with his feet.

I think the arm length is the only reason people keep assuming that. I’ve watched enough today to say even if they start him at guard, they are going to try him at tackle at some point.

The arms are definitely part of it but there are some real scouting reasons to think Morgan's best spot is inside. Personally I'd give Morgan the RG job and let Walker/Tom stick at tackle

Read on Twitter
?t=ZBw0z0jqum-88YcOc3XVng&s=19
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"

Return to Green Bay Packers