Post#1 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:45 pm

No idea who this is.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,103

Re: Round 4 - Evan Williams - DB Oregon 

Post#2 » by MVP2110 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:49 pm

Gutey loves himself some versatile Safeties
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,184

Post#3 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:49 pm

STRENGTHS: Plays with a physical, rugged demeanor … quick to trigger as a run defender and drives his pads through the belt buckle of his target … widens out and sinks to maintain his balance as a tackler … competitive urgency doesn’t take any plays off … strong football IQ to decipher moving parts and focus on his keys … alert to underneath zones and crossers and takes decisive angles to the catch point … has the athletic footwork to match up with ti ght ends and backs in coverage … had a high success rate as a blitzer on tape … active on special-teams coverages (466 career snaps) and has a blocked punt (2022) and blocked extra point attempt (2020) on his college resume … NFL scouts say he has a good head on his shoulders, and his personality (on the field and off) will fit well in NFL locker rooms.

WEAKNESSES: Averaged-sized, compact frame with below-average arm length … struggles to find the football once his back is turned to the quarterback (should have had a game-ending interception vs. Washington in 2023) … not as confident in his reads from deep alignment … his long speed and over-the-top range are only average … disappointing ball production his junior and senior seasons (five passes defended, zero interceptions over his last 23 games) … races outside to win the corner, opening a backdoor for cutbacks … MCL tear in his left knee (September 2022) and missed four games; right hand injury (September 2023) that caused him to miss one game; reinjured his hand and wore a bulky right club for the final three games.

SUMMARY: A one-year starter at Oregon, Williams was a versatile safety in head coach Dan Lanning’s balanced scheme. After four years at Fresno State, he transferred to Eugene for the 2023 season and led the Ducks in tackles, finishing his college career with 45 starts. Although he has the size of a free safety, Williams has the mentality of a box safety, with his disciplined run support and eagerness to drop the hammer. Though he reacts well t o front-facing throws, he has a tough time locating the ball downfield, and his coverage busts lead to big plays for the offense. Overall, Williams doesn’t have playmaking instincts in the deep half of the field, but he is an energetic field presence with a trigger and toughness that are easy to appreciate. He projects as a backup strong safety and core special teamer in the mold of Alohi Gilman.
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 21,012

Post#4 » by Matches Malone » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:49 pm

I like this kid. Brought him up a few times during the pre-draft process. Good athlete, but a bit on the smaller side and not a ball hawk by any means.

When I saw they moved up 15 spots, I was hoping for a boundary corner.
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,184

Post#5 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:49 pm

Another special teamer.
LUKE23
RealGM
And1: 6,272

Post#6 » by LUKE23 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:50 pm

Wow I don’t like this one. I’m fine doubling down at safety but why not for Hicks? And I’d be shocked if Evan Williams wouldn’t be there at 126.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by MVP2110 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:54 pm

Read on Twitter
?t=sKJfY6NXOYGhiWHmRli_1w&s=19
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
WeekapaugGroove
RealGM
And1: 19,682

Post#8 » by WeekapaugGroove » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:56 pm

LUKE23 wrote:Wow I don’t like this one. I’m fine doubling down at safety but why not for Hicks? And I’d be shocked if Evan Williams wouldn’t be there at 126.
I have no knowledge so this might be a terrible pick but I think we're past the point in the draft where we can say any player will still be available at any pick. I'm sure the 32 different draft boards vary WIDELY by this point. Not inconceivable that other teams liked Williams.

Sent from my SM-F731U using RealGM mobile app
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming Wow! What a Ride!-H.S.T.
BucksFanSD
Veteran
And1: 1,365

Post#9 » by BucksFanSD » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:57 pm

With these last two picks I'm afraid we are looking too cute after a great draft last year. Fortunately, I Iike the higher picks made. The last two picks seem to me that better talent is being left on the table, especially when trading up. This doesn't make sense to me.
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,881

Post#10 » by coolhandluke121 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:58 pm

Trying to talk myself into this one, but maybe he's a guy who slipped because he didn't get any picks for a long time. DBs can have long dry spells without picks because it's an extremely volatile stat. Just as some mediocre DBs get drafted too high because they get kind of lucky with a slew of picks coming their way, surely there must be some good DBs who fall too far because of an INT dry spell?
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by MVP2110 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:59 pm

Seems clear to me Hafley wants guys that can line up anywhere. McKinney, Bullard, Williams are all guys that can line up in the slot, box, or play the centerfield role.
RubberSoul
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,877

Post#12 » by RubberSoul » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:00 pm

Would have much preferred OL here. These last two picks are highly questionable and remind me of the TT days of him trying to be the smartest guy in the room and reaching.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Matches Malone
RealGM

Post#13 » by Matches Malone » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:04 pm

Pic from his draft party :lol:

Profound23
RealGM
And1: 6,643

Post#14 » by Profound23 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:08 pm

I don't know him so I won't hate on it. Really would've like Jordan Jefferson at that point. Perfect time to go DT.

But I'll trust the front office
jimmybones
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,770

Post#15 » by jimmybones » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:17 pm

MVP2110 wrote:Seems clear to me Hafley wants guys that can line up anywhere. McKinney, Bullard, Williams are all guys that can line up in the slot, box, or play the centerfield role.

Could totally see a Nickel or Dime package with all three of them on the field. It’s possible one of these dudes is an upgrade to Nixon in the slot
MikeIsGood
RealGM
And1: 9,750

Post#16 » by MikeIsGood » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:33 pm

I don't know anything about this guy (or anyone - I very purposefully don't follow the draft anymore). But if we moved up to get a player, they obviously felt they could not get him if they stayed put, yeah? :lol: Occam's Razor, guys. I think we should have a bit more faith in, honestly, literally any draft room (not just the Packers) than to suggest they just randomly moved up without any fears or intel they could miss on their guy if they stayed put.

The pick may suck but I think logic suggests they really wanted him and didn't think they'd get him.
Matches Malone
RealGM

Post#17 » by Matches Malone » Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:37 pm

jimmybones wrote:
MVP2110 wrote:Seems clear to me Hafley wants guys that can line up anywhere. McKinney, Bullard, Williams are all guys that can line up in the slot, box, or play the centerfield role.

Could totally see a Nickel or Dime package with all three of them on the field. It’s possible one of these dudes is an upgrade to Nixon in the slot

Bullard is already a better slot lol.
jimmybones
Lead Assistant

Post#18 » by jimmybones » Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:03 pm

Matches Malone wrote:
jimmybones wrote:

Bullard is already a better slot lol.

Agreed, I have faith in Hafley to use our talent in creative and effective ways. We just added talent and it’s up to him to move the pieces around. While it may say “safety” next to these dudes names I view them as overall secondary upgrades.
Matches Malone
RealGM

Post#19 » by Matches Malone » Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:04 pm

Read on Twitter
jimmybones
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by jimmybones » Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:04 pm

And to add, this Williams pick makes even more sense if having a third safety you’re comfortable playing gives you the opportunity to use Bullard’s slot versatility to your advantage

Return to Green Bay Packers