Post#1 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:21 pm

Discuss.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,103

Re: Round 5: Jacob Monk - C, Duke 

Post#2 » by MVP2110 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:23 pm

Interior OL. Highly athletic. Right around where I had him ranked
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 21,012

Post#3 » by Matches Malone » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:23 pm

He's played a lot of snaps and has good experience. Another big RAS guy.

Another team Captain.
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,184

Post#4 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:23 pm

STRENGTHS: Checks boxes for functional size and movements … looks smooth in his change of direction and is a natural bender … gets out o f his stance quickly and easily expands his range as a puller … looks comfortable picking off defenders in space when climbing in the screen game … shows natural strength and doesn’t appear overwhelmed at contact … able to generate power from his lower body in the run game … delivers pop with his initial st rike and runs his feet on contact to steer rushers wide … shows the alertness expected of a player with his experience … two-year team captain and comes with strong character reviews … durable and started 58 games during his career … logged double -digit starts at three different positions.

WEAKNESSES: Short-armed, and his balance will rock when he leans and overextends … inconsistent timing with his initial strike … tends to carry his hands low, which exposes his chest … occasionally pulled inside on protections … speed-to-power pass rushers will bruise and batter him with bully length and force his anchor to work overtime … average twitch athlete, which shows in his mirroring skills and also creates delays in his recoveries … collected 20 penalties during his five seasons as a starter, including several holding flags in 2023 … missed two games in 2022 because of injury … started more games at right guard and right tackle in co llege but is viewed as a center-only prospect by several NFL teams.

SUMMARY: A five-year starter at Duke, Monk switched between right guard and center in former offensive coordinator Kevin Johns’ scheme. The h ighest-ranked recruit in the Blue Devils’ class five years ago, he earned a starting role from the get-go (played tackle for the first time as a true freshman) and then showed off his versatility between guard and center, depending on where he was needed (earned All-ACC honors in his final three seasons). Monk has graceful movements out of his stance (second-best 10-yard split among centers at the combine) and processes his surroundings quickly (coaches rave about him as a teammate and worker). His hands have moments where they are all over the place, and he gets himself in trouble when he lunges in attempts to answer power. Overall, Monk doesn’t have elite size and strength, which puts more of a premium on his technique, but his foot quickness and football IQ belong on an NFL roster. He projects best as a backup center who can fill in at guard in a pinch.

GRADE: 6th Round
Treebeard
Head Coach
And1: 1,749

Post#5 » by Treebeard » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:24 pm

Borrowing Matches Malone comment from the main thread
Matches Malone wrote:
Read on Twitter

Basically split game time between Center and Guard
coolhandluke121
RealGM
And1: 6,881

Post#6 » by coolhandluke121 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:24 pm

Nice to finally see another OL, even if I'm never heard of him. Scouting report says he's "versatile." Do the Packers like versatile OL's? :lol:
Wut we've got here is... faaailure... to communakate.
coolhandluke121
RealGM

Post#7 » by coolhandluke121 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:25 pm

Not that it matters much this late in the draft, but what did they give up? (Besides 168 I mean.)

ETA: Never mind, I see that it's #219. Weird that ESPN's draft tracker doesn't seem to have an obvious place to track trades.
MVP2110
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,103

Post#8 » by MVP2110 » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:26 pm

They listed him as a Center which is interesting
Coach Drew: "Milwaukee has always been a team that I have been intrigued by. When we played them, they were a tough team for us to play. Although we did beat them all four times"
chonestown
General Manager
And1: 11,740

Re: Round 5: Jacob Monk - C Duke 

Post#9 » by chonestown » Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:47 pm

Selection should have been announced by Green Bay, WI's favorite son, Tony Shalhoub.imo
“I went to Toronto, I went to Atlanta/I used to drink Pepsi, but now I like Fanta.”
-Hannibal Burress's impression of Canadian music figure Drake

"Poor as a mouse every morning/Rich as a cat every night."
-DCB
ReasonablySober
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 35,184

Post#10 » by ReasonablySober » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:01 pm

Read on Twitter

I'm sorry, what?
Matches Malone
RealGM
And1: 21,012

Post#11 » by Matches Malone » Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:02 pm

Read on Twitter
Gery Woelfel wrote:Got a time big boy?
stillgotgame
Analyst
And1: 1,963

Post#12 » by stillgotgame » Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:27 pm

Workout warrior, his coach loved him.

Read on Twitter
?s=46
HKPackFan
RealGM
And1: 10,506

Post#13 » by HKPackFan » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:50 am

ReasonablySober wrote:
Read on Twitter

I'm sorry, what?

Can you feed him after midnight?
#FreeChuckDiesel
coolhandluke121
RealGM

Post#14 » by coolhandluke121 » Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:03 pm

ReasonablySober wrote:
Read on Twitter

I'm sorry, what?

Cold urticaria is pretty complicated and poorly understood. I guess antihistamines help some people. I had always been great in the cold my whole life, and then I developed cold urticaria on cold, windy days in winter the last few years. I think it might have started after I was on a strong antibiotic for a failed root canal. It wasn't so bad last winter though. Pretty mysterious why it comes and goes for some people, but a guy like Monk who's had it since he was young has to be careful to avoid triggers. Apparently people can drown because of how badly they seize up in cold water. I think some people benefit from desensitization therapy.

Return to Green Bay Packers